South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging | Page 28 | Golden Skate

South Korean federation's complaint to the ISU about judging

cooper

Medalist
I lead a normal life, I don't post every 2 minutes or so. There are some 10-20 of you at any one time. I dislike hogging threads or making lots and lots of replies, especially when it's about the same things over and over ad nauseum, so I like to combine my rebuttals, especially when there are several posters addressing any one of my posts at any time.

I still haven't seen this "DISCUSSION" on GS that you insist took place about the Feature Levels 2,3,4, blow by blow, on which Level 4 stsq is judged, I only saw Feature Level 1, i.e.,Complexity, discussed on BoP thread. I am waiting for your link, since you said it exists. So far, you posted a statement/opinion of BoP, not a link to a discussion.

I don't take anyone's statement for a fact. I tend to believe the Tech Panel, especially when my eyes saw the same skate.

Found a Yuna fan upload of Sochi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8NIHBJBAqU&ntz=1

Yuna's torso remained upright for most of her stsq, she had *some* arm movements, but they were not enough to affect balance in a significant way. I didn't see 1/3 of stsq with major torso, head and arm movements maintained. Yuna's steps and turns were smaller, slower, more pauses in between. I don't think Yuna is famed for her stsq, unlike Caro, she received Level 3 at many other competitions. They really weren't memorable at Sochi either, there wasn't an outstanding choreography. I don't find awarding Level 3 to her ss a controversial decision.

If you propose that the Tech Panel was wrong, or judging was fraudulent then you should post the evidence that you have.

The onus is on those who alleged wrongdoing, Tech Panel is innocent until proven guilty, and so you must provide proof. Stating for a fact your opinion that Yuna's skate *is* Level 4 isn't proof.

I am now watching World's, I'm more interested in that than to debate a non-issue with you all. Like I said, rather than carrying this to your grave why not do a second by second, blow by blow? I promise I'll visit! Adios!:biggrin:

in short i don't know anything so i walk away.. :laugh:

qwertyskates

Medalist
in short i don't know anything so i walk away.. :laugh:

No, in short, I have a LIFE, I have some consideration for others not to hog threads, to insult, to wish ill on Russia and Adelina,...etc. and I SUPPORT GOLD FOR ADELINA. Deal with it. :biggrin:

I am also here only because I have my drink with me, I'm waiting for my favorite skaters to appear right now, with Worlds. Otherwise, I won't even bother. This is because I'm actually interested in skating, not politicking for my favorites.

I'm waiting for your few more threads to discuss Feature Levels 2,3,4, to educate us lesser peoples.

Have to say at least JayLee tried to hold a discourse with some opinions, can't say the same for the rest of you!

Seems you have shown ZERO interest in the REAL SKATING happening right now at Worlds...strange!

cooper

Medalist
No, in short, I have a LIFE, I have some consideration for others not to hog threads, to insult, to wish ill on Russia and Adelina,...etc. and I SUPPORT GOLD FOR ADELINA. Deal with it. :biggrin:

I am also here only because I have my drink with me, I'm waiting for my favorite skaters to appear right now, with Worlds. Otherwise, I won't even bother. This is because I'm actually interested in skating, not politicking for my favorites.

I'm waiting for your few more threads to discuss Feature Levels 2,3,4, to educate us lesser peoples.

Have to say at least JayLee tried to hold a discourse with some opinions, can't say the same for the rest of you!

Seems you have shown ZERO interest in the REAL SKATING happening right now at Worlds...strange!

oh please. at least i admit that i'm not the greatest expert.. unlike you who pretend to know it all..

and i've watched the world championship..the men last night.. and now i'm waiting for the ladies free skate..

seabm7

Final Flight
I still have one question. Has the Korean Skating Federation actually submitted a protest to the ISU, or is this just an urban myth that we have fallen for?

Given the sensitive nature, I don't think KSU (and ISU) want to say anything publically for the time being.

I guess we will have to wait till the end of the 60 day period to get a definite answer.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
they had 60 days... do some research..
"Complaints must be filed with the DC by any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participants in the ISU activities, within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence."

When did they find out that Russian judge is the wife of director? 60 days haven't passed yet? :laugh:

They are going to complain of hugging? :points:

Because if you mean 60 days starting from Ladies LP, it means they are complaining about the results. That deadline is over. :p

I think Koreans won't file anything. Otherwise they would do that by now. They know they don't have a case. To humiliate Yuna and her country one more time is embarrasing. They dropped the information to fish. Now they read the opinions, read GS and decided to stay "send in clowns" rather than "sent in clowns". :biggrin:

cooper

Medalist
"Complaints must be filed with the DC by any Skater, Official, Office Holder or other participants in the ISU activities, within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence."

When did they find out that Russian judge is the wife of director? 60 days haven't passed yet? :laugh:

They are going to complain of hugging? :points:

Because if you mean 60 days starting from Ladies LP, it means they are complaining about the results. That deadline is over. :p

I think Koreans won't file anything. Otherwise they would do that by now. They know they don't have a case. To humiliate Yuna and her country one more time is embarrasing. They dropped the information to fish. Now they read the opinions, read GS and decided to stay "send in clowns" rather than "sent in clowns". :biggrin:

yeah.. it's funny you say that.. the russian fed filed a protest in 2002 for irina.. i guess they were trying to humiliate irina too.. :p

parma

On the Ice
Considering all the hyperinflation in ladies' scores we have witnessed in Sochi and the Worlds, the mystery that the judges only awarded 74 for Yuna's Olympic short program in Sochi deepens. Absolutely nonsensical score. It should have been close to 80 at least.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
yeah.. it's funny you say that.. the russian fed filed a protest in 2002 for irina.. i guess they were trying to humiliate irina too.. :p
Okay, you made me google. Look what I found- you misrepresented facts. Russians didn't file a protest in 2002 like Koreans presumably are filing now. They filed it on different basis- over the results. On the same day of LP seeking for second gold medal, like Canadians got second gold in pairs. Got rejected. Koreans actually protested to ISU too over short track guy. But they all protested over results. Here over Yuna Koreans are filing the protest not over the result, but with DC on the basis "within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence." Answer me if you know what facts or events exactly Koreans learned within 60 days? Results? It's different type of protest. That deadline is over. What facts they learned or what events happened within 60 days? Can you name one? You can't. They can't. Nobody can. Creating a comedy show is humiliating Yuna.

cooper

Medalist
Okay, you made me google. Look what I found- you misrepresented facts. Russians didn't file a protest in 2002 like Koreans presumably are filing now. They filed it on different basis- over the results. On the same day of LP seeking for second gold medal, like Canadians got second gold in pairs. Got rejected. Koreans actually protested to ISU too over short track guy. But they all protested over results. Here over Yuna Koreans are filing the protest not over the result, but with DC on the basis "within 60 days of learning of the facts or events, which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence." Answer me if you know what facts or events exactly Koreans learned within 60 days? Results? It's different type of protest. That deadline is over. What facts they learned or what events happened within 60 days? Can you name one? You can't. They can't. Nobody can. Creating a comedy show is humiliating Yuna.

what the.............???!! what's the difference???????????!!! :laugh:

capcomeback

On the Ice
*snip*

If you propose that the Tech Panel was wrong, or judging was fraudulent then you should post the evidence that you have.

The onus is on those who alleged wrongdoing, Tech Panel is innocent until proven guilty, and so you must provide proof. Stating for a fact your opinion that Yuna's skate *is* Level 4 isn't proof.

As this is not a criminal court, the officiating is "Not innocent until proven guilty". it is open to public scrutiny and perhaps ISU scrutiny if Korea decides to protest. If this happens, the ISU should be required to investigate the charges. If the KSU is smart, they will allege that the fault lies not in the judging and tech panel's constituency, but how certain individuals' presence on these panels unfairly affected judging because they acted on national bias. They may also allege corruption in scoring due to Yuri Balkov's reputation for event fixing. With Yuna Kim's profile being so big in Korea, I'm sure that there is not only a lot of political pressure for them to act, but I would not be surprised of there were significant resources being brought to bear to investigate on their own (i.e. The South Korean Government).

Vanshilar

On the Ice
I was reading up on past figure skating controversies and found something interesting in the wikipedia article about the 2010 quad controversy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadruple_jump_controversy

The basic gist of it is that Lysacek won gold without doing a quad, and Plushenko who did a quad triple combination got silver. Afterwards Plushenko wanted to protest it but the Russian Olympic Committee refused to give legal support stating "Under the new ISU rules a complaint maybe lodged only if a calculation (mathematical) error occurs. If the judges err in interpreting an element or its level of difficulty, it is considered a “human error” which can not be challenged...No lawyer would take on representing Plushenko's interests as no provision for challenging the judging under these circumstances exists."

So basically as far as the ISU is concerned, other than math errors (or as mentioned previously, errors such as where the step sequence was, or the type of jump performed, etc.), any deviations from the judging rules that are the result of human judgment or interpretation cannot be changed. This obviously severely limits the recourse for when these deviations do occur. It also makes it more difficult to hold the judges accountable, especially since the scores are given anonymously -- making it easier for judges to judge not according to the skater's performance but on other, political criteria.

Perhaps that's why the Koreans are protesting the composition of the judging panel. If the ROC is right, then the ISU simply does not accept any protest regarding whether or not the judging was accurate, i.e. in accordance with the skating rules.

It's not necessarily that not being able to protest or asking for a recount is a bad thing. A competition would take much longer if each skater protested some minutiae of the judging to gain a few more points. However, the reputation of the sport relies on the credibility of the judges (or their equivalent) in applying the rules evenly, and being held accountable for them. For example, in baseball, usually the umpire's call is final, even if it is wrong. However, the umpires are publicly known and thus held accountable, with their individual reputations at stake. An example of this is Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game, which was ruined by an umpire giving a wrong call on what would have been the final out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armando_Galarraga's_near-perfect_game

Also, the umpires can be fined if they don't apply the rules correctly:

http://mlb.si.com/2013/05/10/mlb-admits-umpiring-mistake-angels-astros/

The point is that even though their ruling is final, incentive mechanisms exist for umpires in baseball to "follow the rules". That's what keeps the sport relatively clean, in terms of the officiating. In contrast, in ISU's judging system, not only are the scores more or less final (short of math errors), but the judging is anonymous, and there are no known repercussions for deviating from the publicly stated scoring rules -- the judges don't have to provide how they arrived at the scores nor even identify which judge made which marks.

capcomeback

On the Ice
I was reading up on past figure skating controversies and found something interesting in the wikipedia article about the 2010 quad controversy:

The basic gist of it is that Lysacek won gold without doing a quad, and Plushenko who did a quad triple combination got silver. Afterwards Plushenko wanted to protest it but the Russian Olympic Committee refused to give legal support stating "Under the new ISU rules a complaint maybe lodged only if a calculation (mathematical) error occurs. If the judges err in interpreting an element or its level of difficulty, it is considered a “human error” which can not be challenged...No lawyer would take on representing Plushenko's interests as no provision for challenging the judging under these circumstances exists."

So basically as far as the ISU is concerned, other than math errors (or as mentioned previously, errors such as where the step sequence was, or the type of jump performed, etc.), any deviations from the judging rules that are the result of human judgment or interpretation cannot be changed. This obviously severely limits the recourse for when these deviations do occur. It also makes it more difficult to hold the judges accountable, especially since the scores are given anonymously -- making it easier for judges to judge not according to the skater's performance but on other, political criteria.

Perhaps that's why the Koreans are protesting the composition of the judging panel. If the ROC is right, then the ISU simply does not accept any protest regarding whether or not the judging was accurate, i.e. in accordance with the skating rules.

It's not necessarily that not being able to protest or asking for a recount is a bad thing. A competition would take much longer if each skater protested some minutiae of the judging to gain a few more points. However, the reputation of the sport relies on the credibility of the judges (or their equivalent) in applying the rules evenly, and being held accountable for them. For example, in baseball, usually the umpire's call is final, even if it is wrong. However, the umpires are publicly known and thus held accountable, with their individual reputations at stake. An example of this is Armando Galarraga's near-perfect game, which was ruined by an umpire giving a wrong call on what would have been the final out:

The point is that even though their ruling is final, incentive mechanisms exist for umpires in baseball to "follow the rules". That's what keeps the sport relatively clean, in terms of the officiating. In contrast, in ISU's judging system, not only are the scores more or less final (short of math errors), but the judging is anonymous, and there are no known repercussions for deviating from the publicly stated scoring rules -- the judges don't have to provide how they arrived at the scores nor even identify which judge made which marks.

This might be seen as over-the-top, but should it be determined that there are irregularities, they should just punish the whole panel. No International competitions for two years for all 13 of them (since we don't know who was responsible)! This might actually help the judges to be motivated to police themselves. Additionally, The Tech Panel made three "mistakes" on the same skater. They should likewise be barred for two years from International events. One mistake... they happen. Two mistakes... not acceptable, you better do better next time. Three mistakes? No next time (three strikes, they're out). Of course this won't happen because Lakernik is the chair of the ISU Technical Committee. He should be deeply embarrassed by the sheer incompetence of the panel he was in charge of.

jaylee

Medalist
I lead a normal life, I don't post every 2 minutes or so. There are some 10-20 of you at any one time. I dislike hogging threads or making lots and lots of replies, especially when it's about the same things over and over ad nauseum, so I like to combine my rebuttals, especially when there are several posters addressing any one of my posts at any time. I am also a stickler for grammar, so I frequently corrected any erroneous grammar/spelling. Didn't see that as a violation of forum rules?:scratch:

This isn't about your life and you're not required to post right away. You weren't editing your post for grammar or spelling, you weren't editing it to reply to multiple people. You drastically revised your previous already published post, and I was already responding to your original post. It's not a violation but it's annoying. Likewise is your justification, which is mainly full of irrelevant issues.

I still haven't seen this "DISCUSSION" on GS that you insist took place about the Feature Levels 2,3,4, blow by blow, on which Level 4 stsq is judged, I only saw Feature Level 1, i.e.,Complexity, discussed on BoP thread. I am waiting for your link, since you said it exists. So far, you posted a statement/opinion of BoP, not a link to a discussion.

I said the other features were mentioned as part of the discussion, and they WERE, but I certainly never said the other feature levels were discussed blow-by-blow.

I don't take anyone's statement for a fact. I tend to believe the Tech Panel, especially when my eyes saw the same skate.

Yet you've also contradicted the tech panel by saying Yuna's salchows were UR, so basically, you believe what you want to believe when you want to believe it.

Found a Yuna fan upload of Sochi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8NIHBJBAqU&ntz=1

Yuna's torso remained upright for most of her stsq, she had *some* torso and arm movements, but they were not enough to affect balance in a significant way. I didn't see 1/3 of stsq with major torso, head and arm movements maintained. Yuna's steps and turns were smaller, slower, more pauses in between.

She has either head, torso, or arm movements throughout the ENTIRE footwork sequence. Only 1/3 has to have an effect on the balance of the main body core OR the balance of the body as a whole and influencing the balance on the blade, and she certainly has that. This includes but isn't limited to moves such as twisting her torso back and forth multiple times in the beginning while executing the steps. She brings her right arm above and around her head in a choreographed move and twists her torso. Notice the way her head is pivoting on the beat at the same time. She raises both arms in a choreographed move during TWO sets of counterclockwise twizzles, which she makes look very easy, but doing that during twizzles HAS to affect the balance of the entire body on the blade. That's something that Yuna added since Golden Spin. She also leans over at a certain point, and she does an illusion towards the end.

Yuna has MUCH more upper body movement than Gracie Gold, who got a level 4 on her step sequence at Worlds--the comparison is obvious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RC-Vm3Q-Iow#t=106

More than Kanako Murakami too, who also got a level 4 at Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DdIxSeeeCY4#t=99

She has comparable amount of upper body movement to Mao Asada, who got a level 4 on her step sequence at the Olympics, with both even doing an illusion near the end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5fA9o2sBis#t=275

Mao's torso remains upright for much of her step sequence too, as she is not bending over for 1/3 of the step sequence, but she got credit for the upper body movement, and so should Yuna have.

I don't think Yuna is famed for her stsq, unlike Caro, she received Level 3 at many other competitions. They really weren't memorable at Sochi either, there wasn't an outstanding choreography. I don't find awarding Level 3 to her ss a controversial decision.

Yuna not being "famed" for her step sequences like Carolina is completely irrelevant. Actually she has received at least one level 4 step sequence at every competition she's competed at since 2012 NRW, with two level 4 step sequences at 2013 Worlds. As for not being "memorable" or it being "outstanding" choreography, whatever.

Rubirosa

Match Penalty
what the.............???!! what's the difference???????????!!! :laugh:
In other words you don't know what facts or events "which constitute a disciplinary or ethical offence" Koreans learned about within 60 days? Then what are they going to file to DC? :popcorn:

usethis2

Medalist
There are 3 possible ways this thing will go:

1) The ISU at least acknowledge there was appearance of impropriety (not actual bias, but appearance) in the judging panel and make some amends to tighten the rules with regard to judging.
2) Korea remembers and pays back in 2018.
3) Korea takes the high road.

1) is the most prudential solution in that it will have a lasting impact. It will also keep whatever Korea's grievance and desire of payback at bay. 2) will perpetuate the evil cycle. 3) will leave corrupt officials around world intact and even thriving.

Sadly 1) is not going to happen from the looks of it. Not sure which way Korea will go in 2018. Either way the Sochi apologists will have to take it and eat it.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Russia could have wait till 2018, they have so many young talents right now. I don't want these girls (Julia, Radionova, Anna...) to suffer from the wrath of Koeran people who are famous for being extreme nationalists. But then again, sorry some Korean fellows, there are also some smoke from the 2 big events that happened in Korean, like olympic 1988 and world cup 2002. I hope they will take the high road, to prove that they are classy.

Then again, no Olympic has finished without scandals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games_scandals_and_controversies#1988_Summer_Olympics

usethis2

Medalist
I've checked the FS protocols from WC 2014, and astoundingly So Youn's TES is the 5th highest. The difference between 1st and the 5th is meager 3 points. (67 v. 64, Pogs got the highest)

3 points. Think about that. How many "incompetent" tech calls or judges with questionable backgrounds do you think would be needed to close that 3 point gap? *shudder* Give So Youn 9.50 PCS all around for "skating her heart out" and "thrilling the audience," and all it takes is a few "incompetent" tech calls against the other contenders. Heck, So Youn received level 2 for her step sequence so giving her level 4 for her steps will instantly reduce that gap to below 2 points. At that point a single wrong edge call can change the color of medal.

P.S. Not to discredit So Youn's wonderful debut - to the contrary I was very impressed by her performance. I just don't think she's a gold medal contender yet.

usethis2

Medalist
Yuna not being "famed" for her step sequences like Carolina is completely irrelevant. Actually she has received at least one level 4 step sequence at every competition she's competed at since 2012 NRW, with two level 4 step sequences at 2013 Worlds. As for not being "memorable" or it being "outstanding" choreography, whatever.

Whoever you are responding to, the person's memory is pretty short. Tango de Roxanne, Danse Macabre, 007, and Gershwin all had fantastic and memorable footworks. Nevertheless, they are all inferior to the footworks in Send In the Clowns and Adios Nonino by all accounts.

cuon_alpinus

On the Ice

Koreans are filing a protest regarding judge panels because Korean Skating Unions didn't protest within one hour after the result was shown. The ISU rule is so obscure and ambiguous that one needs to look over them carefully.

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=539107&page=1&exception_mode=recommend
http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=yeona&no=550088&page=1&exception_mode=recommend

google translate it maybe it might work.