Missing The Veterans | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Missing The Veterans

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
So true. Before this there would have been I so miss Sasha, Slutskaya, Kwan and before that Lipinsiki and Butyrskaya and before that Baiul, Sato and Kerrigan and before that Yamaguchi and Ito and before that Witt, Thomas and Manley - life does go on. It is the life cycle I guess.

Pretty much my exact thoughts, but I'll take it further and just say I miss the Pre-COP days. Cohen and Arakawa came up with compelling programs under COP, same with Chan in the guys, but for the most part there has been a total lack of people I miss from this last quad. Programs these days are unnecesarily busy just scraping for points IMO.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I miss Lambliel and Candeloro...I loved them so much. And there was another French skater, I think his name was Laurent Tobel. Such a breath of fresh air...
In girls, it's Denise Biellmann, I mainly know her from youtube...ah,
And last but not least, Sasha Cohen.

starlight97

Final Flight
I think it's normal.
After watching skaters like Yuna and Mao for years( lile many posters here did), seeing them grow up, from a 16-year old
a) teenage wunderkind and the other one
b) young talented girl who is still a little awkward with her body into
a) fighter and top class athlete
b) pure grace and beauty on ice, and having people put "Queen" in front of your name
Seeing their way: You become attached to them without noticing it :)

I will miss Mao, Caro and Yuna for simply being there and representing this sport
And I will miss Yuna even an extra bit more because (to me) she was exceptional and a completely different level to everyone else. Programs like Danse Macabre or her Gershwin or the Les Mis are what young skaters should watch to have strive-for-examples regarding artistry and technical precision and the way you combine these two, in my opinion.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I'm personally kind of enjoying the 'change of scenery'. It's fun to see all the people debuting on the GP.

cooper

Medalist
Looooooooooooooove this video. Lets call them and demand a tour of both of them together:laugh:. I would save my pennies go see them. Someone make it happen. Can you imagine the money they could make?

ain't gonna happen.. aside from the whole japan vs korea thing.. yuna seems to be happy not skating anymore.. and i don't know if she will be skating in ice shows either..

maybe if the UNICEF/UN will sponsor the event for charity..

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

Aww... this is so heart warming, bring tears to my eye. After Skate Amerca (which I can only describe as 'pants', these podium finishers are not the reason I became a skating fan), I really miss ALL the veterans tremendously!!!.

It must be said, I remember after the team event at Sochi, when everyone was hyping up only Julia Julia everywhere and practically wrote Mao off, it was Yuna who brought/hype her up at her press conference. I'd like to think in their minds privately, they are very clear about who are their greatest equals of their life time. Even if their fans/countrymen/media may not all agree.

I like this comment: Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. These are almost interchangeable through out their career. For me, Mao Asada is one of life's little treasures, Yuna Kim is one of life's little miracles. I am sure everyone have their own view and they are certainly welcome to it :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There are a few skaters I miss - others I breathe a sigh of relief when they finally go away (some of whom have been mentioned in this thread, lol). Most of my favorites who retired are just as visible as ever doing shows. The ones I really miss are the ones that never became stars, never won much, but were very interesting skaters nonetheless, and just sort of fade into oblivion. :no:

lavender

Record Breaker
After SA I really miss certain veterans...Mao, Yuna, Carolina, Alissa. I course I miss skaters like Kwan, Lambiel, Buttle etc. They just had beauty on ice.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
There are a few skaters I miss - others I breathe a sigh of relief when they finally go away (some of whom have been mentioned in this thread, lol). Most of my favorites who retired are just as visible as ever doing shows. The ones I really miss are the ones that never became stars, never won much, but were very interesting skaters nonetheless, and just sort of fade into oblivion. :no:

That's so true.

minze

Medalist
Aww... this is so heart warming, bring tears to my eye. After Skate Amerca (which I can only describe as 'pants', these podium finishers are not the reason I became a skating fan), I really miss ALL the veterans tremendously!!!.

It must be said, I remember after the team event at Sochi, when everyone was hyping up only Julia Julia everywhere and practically wrote Mao off, it was Yuna who brought/hype her up at her press conference. I'd like to think in their minds privately, they are very clear about who are their greatest equals of their life time. Even if their fans/countrymen/media may not all agree.

I like this comment: Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see. These are almost interchangeable through out their career. For me, Mao Asada is one of life's little treasures, Yuna Kim is one of life's little miracles. I am sure everyone have their own view and they are certainly welcome to it :)

Beautiful. I knew one day Mao and Yuna fans will come together:biggrin: In all seriousness that comment you mentioned is great

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Song to bid goodbyes to the veterans. Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Miki, Akiko, Alissa, Rachel, Jenna, Daisuke, Patrick, Jeremy (...soon probably,this fan is ready), Plushy, Tomas, Brian Jewbear, Virtue/Moir, Pang/Tong, Davies/White, Pechalat/ Bourzat.... and all those who have ever tirelessly pursued their dreams waking up at 5am and be the last one leaving the rink for that extra ice time for many years and are now onto the next chapters of their lives. Somebody out there remembers you and misses you already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHRElN9s4N0

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I usually do tend to miss the veterans too. In fact, I miss them in Ice Dance, because there isn't a couple that I can say WOW, yet.
The girls though it's different for me.

This, I think the Ice Dance event will fall in to the dinner break for coverage on figure skating again with Meryl and Charlie, and Tessa and Scott.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
^^^

Nice post w/ lovely thoughts! Just wanted to note that Brian's last name is Joubert. :)

Oh I know but it is his nick in Chinese skating forums which I am rather fond of, so I thought I'd add that in. (May be it is hard and confusing to pronounce Jou berre with silent T and all that rrs, and it is not exactly a 'burt')