Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Adelina Sotnikova Withdraws From 2014 Rostelecom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyanka

Record Breaker
People! Let's not go there ... let's take the injury at face value and respect the decision to withdraw. Whatever political machinations there are behind this ("it's always something"), let's not speculate. This thread may get really nasty ...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Interview with Adelina that Mony posted in her Fan Fest: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...na-Sotnikova&p=1016001&viewfull=1#post1016001

To summarize: She really wanted to skate and show her new programs. Her leg has been bothering her for a while but she kept training. She fell on a triple flip in practice and felt an excruciating pain. MRT came back as a torn ankle ligament, and her foot's in a cast now. And the crazy girl even asked her doctors if she could put blades on the cast and skate that way! (I'm tempted to channel my inner old man and grumble, "Kids these days...")

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Questionable withdrawal? She's injured! Some of y'all are too much. :laugh:
I guess she could be carrying her head under her arm Sleepy-Hollow-style and you'd still find somebody who says "can't you just walk that off or something?"
:sarcasm:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Maybe there is a curse and Olympic champions shouldn´t even intent to compete the year after they medal... :slink:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Maybe there is a curse and Olympic champions shouldn´t even intent to compete the year after they medal... :slink:
You might be on to something... Tessa Virtue was also injured in the 2010-11 season, while Yuna had a subpar skate at 2011 Worlds and was beaten by a likewise underwhelming Miki Ando.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You might be on to something... Tessa Virtue was also injured in the 2010-11 season, while Yuna had a subpar skate at 2011 Worlds and was beaten by a likewise underwhelming Miki Ando.
Well basically Yuna hadn't competed all season before Worlds so she was rusty more then anything and really only skated to get the spots for South Korea.

Icey

Record Breaker
Sorry Adeline is injured. Sadly the only reason some want to see her skate again is in hopes she will fall on her face.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Per Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi:

Yuzuru Hanyu is the first singles skater to win Olympic gold and complete two programs in the following season's Grand Prix series.
2:25 PM - 9 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/531573407453028352

In 2002, Alexei Yagudin won gold and WD after Skate America SP months later. No other male/female Olympic champ skated in next season's GP.
2:27 PM - 9 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/531573887327547393

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzuru Hanyu is the first singles skater to win Olympic gold and complete two programs in the following season's Grand Prix series.

And it seemed like all the powers in the world tried to stop it from happening. Maybe he broke the curse and the last victim was claimed. He definitely looked war torn and tattered in the process.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Hmmm ... Sarah Hughes comes to mind. :slink:

But ... Sarah Hughes did not compete in any 2002 GPs, according to her ISU and USFSA bios.

Hughes suffered from a torn muscle behind her right knee in fall 2002 and was unable to compete in the Grand Prix Series.

Hughes was scheduled to compete in two ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events - Smart Ones Skate America and Skate Canada. However, a sudden injury forced her to withdraw from both events on Oct. 17.

What is listed as the 2002 GPF in Kitchener took place in Dec 2001.

Vanshilar

On the Ice
It's her right ankle. She already posted a photo on instagram. And that's the leg she uses to land her jumps (even though she is left-handed).

Ouch that sucks. :( It's especially hard to recover from psychologically because it's very easy to start wondering "is this the jump where I twist it again?" at every jump. When I was doing gymnastics, that was more or less the reason I stopped doing aerials.

AprilS

On the Ice
Per Nick Zaccardi ‏@nzaccardi:

2:25 PM - 9 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/531573407453028352

In 2002, Alexei Yagudin won gold and WD after Skate America SP months later. No other male/female Olympic champ skated in next season's GP.
2:27 PM - 9 Nov 2014
https://twitter.com/nzaccardi/status/531573887327547393

...And he only needed three staples in the head and seven stitches in the chin to do it... :slink:

Anyways, I hope Adelina gets better soon without any complications. I was looking forward to seeing her skate this season!

flutz16

Match Penalty
You can see fancams of her videos. She still has her triple jumps, but something clearly isn't right with her--she's not landing her jumps with the same quality she usually does (even when she has a breakdown, like she did at GPF, her jumps are still good when landed).

I don't understand what you're implying. You suspect she's injured, but then say they're just saving face by withdrawing her due to "injury" (now implying the injury is fake). It's not a conspiracy to withdraw a genuinely injured skater, regardless of who that skater is.

Im sayin she might be injured or ill prepared, as reigning Olympic champion its better to withdraw her than compete and place as low as 5th and not even making the GPF. why only fancams were uploaded and not on that fsrussia youtube page even Stolbova/ Klimov got uploaded only Sotnikova wasnt.

Meoima

Match Penalty
And it seemed like all the powers in the world tried to stop it from happening. Maybe he broke the curse and the last victim was claimed. He definitely looked war torn and tattered in the process.
So the curse has been broken by Yuzuru, I suppose? :think:

AprilS

On the Ice
So the curse has been broken by Yuzuru, I suppose? :think:

Except he might not be able to compete at NHK. Maybe someone needs to make it all the way through the series for it to be broken? :think: I mean, Yagudin technically competed at SA...

Status
Not open for further replies.