Pogorilaya readies for European debut | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Pogorilaya readies for European debut

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
This part of the interview:

---

At Skate Canada, she surprised everyone by skating to “Rise Like a Phoenix” by Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst, complete with costume and hairstyle change during the performance.

“The idea came up after the Eurovision song contest,” explained Pogorilaya. “It was a fun idea, why not take it?”

In Russia, however, some politicians frowned upon the singer and condemned him, but Pogorilaya is more open-minded.

“What’s the matter? He sings very well and has a nice voice,” she said, adding that the program was well-received at Rostelecom Cup. “Everything else is not important. The idea that he is a boy-girl is also great. There could have been a scandal, but luckily there wasn’t.”

---

Very progressive, very cool. :)

Hope she get to podium and get to do that special gala at European Championships. What better choice than Eurovision song contest winner at European Championship.

Fire warms, fire ignite, fire burns, fire blazes....fire bring rebirth.... Goo Anna!! (...and the fact I prefer it to the Run Lola Run program. If she is going to do Jovovich or a Besson, I suggest Residential Evil, Joan of Arc or Nikita!! Although knowing the Russians skating 'style', we are more likely to get 'Return of the blue lagoon' :drama:)

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Hope she get to podium and get to do that special gala at European Championships. What better choice than Eurovision song contest winner at European Championship.

Fire warms, fire ignite, fire burns, fire blazes....fire bring rebirth.... Goo Anna!! (...and the fact I prefer it to the Run Lola Run program. If she is going to do Jovovich or a Besson, I suggest Residential Evil, Joan of Arc or Nikita!! Although knowing the Russians skating 'style', we are more likely to get 'Return of the blue lagoon' :drama:)

Hope she gets there too, and she likely will given the lack of the ladies in Europe outside of Russia.

As for a Jovovich / Besson-themed exhibition, how about ... The Fifth Element? Great score by Eric Serra, and she could wear that bandaged costume Milla wore, shouting "LEELOODALLASMULTIPASS" at random points. I would pay to see that!

What I mean to say, in all seriousness, is this: Anna has become a more theatrical, dramatic performer when she's *on*, and during exhibitions. I'd like to see her become more technically solid so that she can truly grow as a performer. Team Pogo!

Silke

Rinkside

---

At Skate Canada, she surprised everyone by skating to “Rise Like a Phoenix” by Austrian drag queen Conchita Wurst, complete with costume and hairstyle change during the performance.

“The idea came up after the Eurovision song contest,” explained Pogorilaya. “It was a fun idea, why not take it?”

In Russia, however, some politicians frowned upon the singer and condemned him, but Pogorilaya is more open-minded.

“What’s the matter? He sings very well and has a nice voice,” she said, adding that the program was well-received at Rostelecom Cup. “Everything else is not important. The idea that he is a boy-girl is also great. There could have been a scandal, but luckily there wasn’t.”

---

Yes she is very open-minded and that's great!

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I believe Anna is next Carolina. Good luck to her and Lisa

Oh no, every time someone says "X is the next Y", something goes wrong. Let's not step into that hole. :sarcasm:

EDIT: I want to like Anna, but her costumes, her choreo and her music (maybe outside of her control) are huge barriers to that wish being fulfilled.

Last edited:

Silke

Rinkside
Oh no, every time someone says "X is the next Y", something goes wrong. Let's not step into that hole. :sarcasm:

EDIT: I want to like Anna, but her costumes, her choreo and her music (maybe outside of her control) are huge barriers to that wish being fulfilled.

Anna is too young , we can't tell if she'll become like caro or not. I think Carolina Kostner 2012-2014 has reached the 'artistic perfection'. She was so artist so emotional....she can create un atmosphere incredible....🌺🌺
But anna isn't stereotipate like the other little russian girls, she is elegant and ( most important thing) she moves her arms very well, like a dancer.she is soft and smoothe. I. Think that she can grow up well, she have to work hard but she is on the right way....
What about the costume? Her short progr dress, the blue one is beautiful....and she is so raffinee and so lovely.....

Globetrotter

Medalist
Anna is too young , we can't tell if she'll become like caro or not. I think Carolina Kostner 2012-2014 has reached the 'artistic perfection'.

I shall say not just the artistry but also the basics. For all the gushing we have over Caro's artistry, long lines and connection to the music and audience, it still took her years. Same for even Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. I still remember when Caro first came on the scene ~2004-2006, she was pretty coltish and awkward and skated like a speed truck. Yuna was rather clunky when she first competed and Mao for all her talents skated through her music when she was a young girl. The artistry and maturity is something that takes time growing up. For Anna to become like a Caro Kostner, the basic skating skills, ease of speed and deep edges have to be developed. It is very underrated but I always felt that Kostner's most unique skill was her basic skating, the flow, the deep edgework and the steps - she made them look easy although if you think about it, it must be damn tough. In footwork, I think only Asada was her match. I think Anna has the potential but she will have to be patient and be willing to work on the basics and lets see if she has the longevity.

Tatjana

On the Ice
As for a Jovovich / Besson-themed exhibition, how about ... The Fifth Element? Great score by Eric Serra, and she could wear that bandaged costume Milla wore, shouting "LEELOODALLASMULTIPASS" at random points. I would pay to see that!

Actually, the new exhibition program she debuted at Russian Nationals is to "The Fifth Element" (not "Run Lola Run") as it is also mentioned in the article and she talks about that choice, too. :)

Silke

Rinkside
I shall say not just the artistry but also the basics. For all the gushing we have over Caro's artistry, long lines and connection to the music and audience, it still took her years. Same for even Mao Asada and Yuna Kim. I still remember when Caro first came on the scene ~2004-2006, she was pretty coltish and awkward and skated like a speed truck. Yuna was rather clunky when she first competed and Mao for all her talents skated through her music when she was a young girl. The artistry and maturity is something that takes time growing up. For Anna to become like a Caro Kostner, the basic skating skills, ease of speed and deep edges have to be developed. It is very underrated but I always felt that Kostner's most unique skill was her basic skating, the flow, the deep edgework and the steps - she made them look easy although if you think about it, it must be damn tough. In footwork, I think only Asada was her match. I think Anna has the potential but she will have to be patient and be willing to work on the basics and lets see if she has the longevity.

Yes, I agree. Carolina is perfect in all the components. Edges, flow, lines and the sequence-step are fantastic. She could fill the ice perfecly even if the music is slow, and the coreography isn't full of steps. The jumps too, when caro didn't fail, were superbe, high and perfect. Anyway Caro, Mao and yuna are all three at another level compared to girls Who we'll see at European 2015.
Anna has to work hard to improve her basic components and also the technical elements. If she improves this, the artistic maturity will develop naturally. I hope she can grow up slowly, step by step and doesn't remain a jump-little girl, overscored and without margin of improvement.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Anna Tsareva said a few times in the interviews that the skater she admires most is Carolina so we shall see..

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I never found anything interesting in Carolina's skating, but I like Anna very much...so I hope she becomes her own person and not a Caro clone, please!

Silke

Rinkside
I never found anything interesting in Carolina's skating, but I like Anna very much...so I hope she becomes her own person and not a Caro clone, please!

It's totally impossible to be a clone of Kostner . If someone doesen't find 'anything' interesting in Carolina.....maybe it's better that he spends his time watching acrobatic iceskating instaed of artistic.....

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

---

---

:cheer2: So nice to see, especially given the naysayers and politicians getting their toupees in a bunch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp0loA2Acvw I hadn't seen it before, but it's amazing!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
It's totally impossible to be a clone of Kostner . If someone doesen't find 'anything' interesting in Carolina.....maybe it's better that he spends his time watching acrobatic iceskating instaed of artistic.....

One can be "acrobatic" and artistic at the same time. Artistry comes in countless different forms. Carolina's does nothing for me, but if other people enjoy it, so be it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I want to like Anna, but her costumes, her choreo and her music (maybe outside of her control) are huge barriers to that wish being fulfilled.

I think her packaging this season is kinda off. I actually like her Firebird outfit (a bit literal but it's pretty), but the choice is cliche and she's a bit too "stoic" for that music.

Her basics are glorious though and I wish she would showcase them more instead of her FS choreo looking so rushed and jam-packed.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
One can be "acrobatic" and artistic at the same time. Artistry comes in countless different forms. Carolina's does nothing for me, but if other people enjoy it, so be it.

I'm with you on Kostner. Her skating usually leaves me cold, despite the rapturous praises she gets for being ~*so artistic*~. I find her upper body to be distractingly ramrod straight and stiff when she skates. She has beautiful jumps (except for the telegraphing) and wonderful extensions, glide, and flow to her landings though.

@CanadianSkaterGuy - How does Pogorilaya have "glorious basics"? She has some the most unpolished skating I've ever seen. Flailing arms, awful spins that travel to Russia and back, wonky landings and extensions, rushed movements.

Last edited:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Anna's Skate Canada Phoenix is imo the most memorable program of the season so far. :cheer:

Yup, be it men or ladies, pairs or dance, this one was the most memorable.

I hope she will take podium many times in the future and deliver many as wonderful gala programs.

Weathergal

Medalist
I'm with you on Kostner. Her skating usually leaves me cold, despite the rapturous praises she gets for being ~*so artistic*~. I find her upper body to be distractingly ramrod straight and stiff when she skates. She has beautiful jumps (except for the telegraphing) and wonderful extensions, glide, and flow to her landings though.

@CanadianSkaterGuy - How does Pogorilaya have "glorious basics"? She has some the most unpolished skating I've ever seen. Flailing arms, awful spins that travel to Russia and back, wonky landings and extensions, rushed movements.

I am blown away by her "Rise like a Phoenix" program for many reasons. There's the obvious "riskier" theme she chose. What I also love is that she doesn't have the franticness and flailing arms that, for me anyway, often mar her competitive programs. Also sometimes in programs her dramatic side veers into overwrought IMO. It all works for me here though. Even her spins look better here. I realize the program isn't as difficult as a competitive program (which isn't to say it's easy, of course!), but I have to give her credit. I always thought her an interesting skater but not always pleasing to watch. This shows her in a much better light.

Extra points for the really cool costume change. Costume/prop changes often look clunky to me, but this one was smooth!

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
I think her packaging this season is kinda off. I actually like her Firebird outfit (a bit literal but it's pretty), but the choice is cliche and she's a bit too "stoic" for that music.

Her basics are glorious though and I wish she would showcase them more instead of her FS choreo looking so rushed and jam-packed.

I feel like if she were given Wilson for choreo and some Korean jump coach + better costumes, she would be stellar. (Her jumps are not bad, quite good compared to the other Russians, but polish is still lacking).

Silke

Rinkside

What's your experience in 'Ice skating world'? When did you start watching Ice skating ? And do you know anything about ballet and Classic dance? Who knows ballet and dance and Ice skating well will recognize at once the beautiful movements of the arms of Carolina and Mao and yuna....they are soft like a plume....like the arms of a Classic dancer....that's make the different.......another example is maryl davis....Why she got always the gold medal in Ice dance? She is perfecly soft ( even when the arms are still) like a Classic etoile....
I know that someone can prefer others iceskaters. That's all right, it's taste. But if someone doesn't see the perfection of the arms of caro and yuna and maryl davis ( and pogorilaya, even if she must perfection a lot of thing) he's simply incompetent. Sorry for being a little rude....