Ice shows!? | Golden Skate

Ice shows!?

Scamper

Spectator
Does your rink our club do them? Do you like them hate them or put up with them? What are the benefits and the negatives? Just give me your overall opinion of these events. Thanks

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They can be gruelling days and you might end up doing numbers you don't like. But when you're on the ice performing it's nice to not have any pressure to perform. I find they helped developed my skating artistically because I'd be forced to do songs that I otherwise would never compete. It's also great for getting involved and developing comraderie among those you skate with. They may seem like a ripoff (the costs are ridiculously expensive if you have any solos and whatnot) but they're fun overall.

mnm464

On the Ice
Depending on what you're talking about, local or pro, they can be hit or miss. Personally I don't usually watch local ice shows unless I know a skater in it, am in it myself, or someone well known i.e. J Abbott, Patrick Chan, etc..Although I love to go and watch the big ones with big name skaters like SOI, not living in Asia, but Dream on Ice, SOI Japan, etc. They are a great opportunity to see skaters that might not be so consistent in competition perform an amazing program. I've just reread your post and realize that you meant local... Oops. I've found it's easier to skate with no pressure, as I wind myself up into knots at competition from adrenaline. Shows allow me to express myself in a different, fuller, way and they are a good opportunity to get more experience with a crowd. Negatives are the practices that are on inconvenient days and also the spot lights. They look cool,but take experience with them to get used to them. Like the person above said, they are fun and the memories are worth it!