USFS has broken my heart | Page 5 | Golden Skate

USFS has broken my heart

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
They are in the US. USFS puts them on social media and websites.

People who are not interested enough in the US skaters to go to their social media (that's not a value judgment, just trying to be descriptive) would not see them. I am not interested enough in the Russian women to go to their video channel and thus have never seen any fluff. . (Not saying this as a value judgment, just saying I personally am not interested

Although I think going "viral" can indicate a well made video, or maybe good marketing, it can also just be a fluke, or meaningless. Donovan Carrillo is the most viewed JGP video because of the artist he happened to use (and he's an entertaining skater ;) ). Why did Jason's Riverdance go viral? Great marketing? Or a skate that made people feel good?

So although I think it's great when it happens, most times IMO it is serendipity and not some great marketing skill.

Some fluff posted by USFS in the past:

These are just the ones I found first, one I remember with great fondness (although this may have been a comp and not Champs Camp/other fluff) skaters meet rescue puppies. You can imagine how adorable that was.🐶🐶🐶
Here's one from 2012 :rofl:

And 2017

icewhite

Record Breaker
They are in the US. USFS puts them on social media and websites.

People who are not interested enough in the US skaters to go to their social media (that's not a value judgment, just trying to be descriptive) would not see them. I am not interested enough in the Russian women to go to their video channel and thus have never seen any fluff. . (Not saying this as a value judgment, just saying I personally am not interested

Although I think going "viral" can indicate a well made video, or maybe good marketing, it can also just be a fluke, or meaningless. Donovan Carrillo is the most viewed JGP video because of the artist he happened to use (and he's an entertaining skater ;) ). Why did Jason's Riverdance go viral? Great marketing? Or a skate that made people feel good?

So although I think it's great when it happens, most times IMO it is serendipity and not some great marketing skill.

Some fluff posted by USFS in the past:

These are just the ones I found first, one I remember with great fondness (although this may have been a comp and not Champs Camp/other fluff) skaters meet rescue puppies. You can imagine how adorable that was.🐶🐶🐶

The thing is I don't follow any Russian skater's social media or any specific Russian figure skating accounts. I am looking into the threads here, especially men's, but I also do look into those of other nations. I take a look at reddit now and then. When I was on twitter general figure skating accounts, but mostly US ones, no Russian ones, popped up on my timeline. That's the content I get to see, and there are many more Russian videos showing up than from any other fed. And these videos you linked above, lovely as they are, are not at all of the professional standard the Russian ones are and Russia has lots of those - for these test skates alone you have promo videos, training videos, highlight videos, a free livestream etc.
I don't want to make this all about the Russians and those short videos though, that's just a comparison and an example. My basic thought is that I don't see any real effort being made by the ISU or most feds to increase viewership and gain new fans, but that they try to milk the existing fans. And that that, in my eyes, is the wrong way. The OP, the prices for the Challenger streaming now, the cringeworthy ISU awards of extremely low quality... for me that all adds to a picture of marketing incompetence or no will to care about all of this while increasing the prices for everything from hardcore fans.

Add: I could also talk more about the ridiculous lengths one sometimes has to go to to discover where and how to buy tickets for a certain event... that is so not professional. There's a second or third league or something volleyball team in my town which has an office of their own to sell tickets. Every second league table tennis match here has more spectators and often a more professional way of selling tickets than most figure skating Challenger events...

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
It might not be a "fair" comparison, but if ISU could do just a bit of what ATP is doing, that could get the sport into a good direction.
The current status of ISU is that we get to see the huge comps for free (youtube), but everything else is difficult and or has to be paid.

With tennis, you get the smaller events for free (https://www.atptour.com/en/atp-challenger-tour/challenger-tv), have the larger ones on pay tv or tennis tv (also pay), free highlights on youtube and the really big ones (four per year) used to be on television, mostly free.

So kind of the other way round as now the grand slams also try to get behind a paywall meaning free tv loses broadcastig rights when their contracts run out. They have to put out more and more money to get rights and eventually, bail.

On the mentioned challenger tv, there's really every tournament available of that level. Worldwide, free, not geoblocked. And tv stations can also broadcast these streams (don't know if they have to pay/how much). The streams are good quality, with reduced inserts, less camera positions and no commentary. The tournaments also sell tickets, usually cheap, but some recently increased theirs by a lot. Not making much sense when there's the stream and maybe local tv.

I know, the amount of events and the much higher number or participants in each tournament might make more money than a FS event. But I'd really like to know how ATP is financing this and if there's a chance for ISU to start "ISU TV" in a similar format.

edit: those tennis streams have each match live and on demand as long as the tournament runs or a bit longer.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is my fave!

But I don’t think this was what was being referred to.
I think actual skating content was what was being looked for. If you don’t know who these people are, it’s just random people dancing to popular music.

Also USFS has never that I’ve seen responded to any social media content. Unless they have just very recently started. Hey USFS, I will respond to your social media account for free tickets to Nationals, one set of credentials and one $1,000 breakfast ticket.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It might not be a "fair" comparison, but if ISU could do just a bit of what ATP is doing, that could get the sport into a good direction.
The current status of ISU is that we get to see the huge comps for free (youtube), but everything else is difficult and or has to be paid.

With tennis, you get the smaller events for free (https://www.atptour.com/en/atp-challenger-tour/challenger-tv), have the larger ones on pay tv or tennis tv (also pay), free highlights on youtube and the really big ones (four per year) used to be on television, mostly free.

So kind of the other way round as now the grand slams also try to get behind a paywall meaning free tv loses broadcastig rights when their contracts run out. They have to put out more and more money to get rights and eventually, bail.

On the mentioned challenger tv, there's really every tournament available of that level. Worldwide, free, not geoblocked. And tv stations can also broadcast these streams (don't know if they have to pay/how much). The streams are good quality, with reduced inserts, less camera positions and no commentary. The tournaments also sell tickets, usually cheap, but some recently increased theirs by a lot. Not making much sense when there's the stream and maybe local tv.

I know, the amount of events and the much higher number or participants in each tournament might make more money than a FS event. But I'd really like to know how ATP is financing this and if there's a chance for ISU to start "ISU TV" in a similar format.

edit: those tennis streams have each match live and on demand as long as the tournament runs or a bit longer.
Gymnastics has pretty good coverage too, although some stuff seemed to go away when the Olympic channel did. They’re all about making money off Simone right now (even sold tickets to podium training which is normally free.). So they are charging for selection camp stream, which would normally be free, and people are losing their minds. I was like…you should be so glad you’re not figure skating fans, I fall to my knees in gratitude when there is a paid stream.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Skate America in Vegas, the Olympic season, so Grand Prix's etc. were filled with top skaters. The two top Russian pairs were there, Trusova, Nathan Chen as well as Alexa/B, and yes, Shoma. Young people in Japan will travel not just for Hanyu, but other Japanese stars like Shoma as well. I wonder though if Canada is also facing a slump in interest.

Yes, people will travel for Shoma (not sure if any of the others, even Kaori, have that pull yet) if clearly not as many last year... thing is, not only is Yuzu no longer competing but his shows, his own and the ones he is guest in, are pulling worldwide fans to travel to Japan and taking a sizeable cut of the domestic market, money and attention. That's neither his fault nor his problem, but it's still a fact. And there are a lot of competitions and shows all in all there now, so less Japanese fans may actually have the funds or desire for international travel.

Interesting about Canada, where the draw was as far as I can see never the women (as suggested for other countries on this thread). I can imagine that once a male skater rises up enough to challenge the Olympic curse yet again, the publicity will spur interest, because that sort of thing does. And V/M does prove that a lot of it is pure charisma.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Then there's the desolation that's Japanese skating and its availability. I wonder if the Japanese Federation and Japanese media can present a bigger rude hand gesture to foreign fans than what they're currently doing. Everything paywalled, monetized, streams and videos taken down, TV channels hardly ever uploading their content on YT, fans uploading next to nothing on YT because they're terrified of Japan's drastic punishments and accounts deletions for copyright violations.
Oh tell me about it, though to be fair it was never that easy to watch skating in Japan from outside, I had to learn a lot of computer skills I never expected to to access fan streams... but the ISU report indicated the Japanese TV stations are not happy with the recent decline in domestic ratings, so their gatekeeping is not gonna change soon.

(MADs/FMVs are still being made, as they can be claimed to be 'fair use' from the biggest movies to the smallest niche entertainments, but people need to have the original footage to do them)

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This is my fave!

But I don’t think this was what was being referred to.
I think actual skating content was what was being looked for. If you don’t know who these people are, it’s just random people dancing to popular music.

Also USFS has never that I’ve seen responded to any social media content. Unless they have just very recently started. Hey USFS, I will respond to your social media account for free tickets to Nationals, one set of credentials and one $1,000 breakfast ticket.

Yeah, this is completely different than the Champs Camp team building videos I was posting.

Still fun though.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
FOFS makes Scott's event look like a screaming bargain at only $500.

I'm seriously mad enough to take a pass on Nationals (if Gracie is not there) and go to Scott's thing where Gracie AND KEEGAN will be there.

I wonder if the booze is top shelf because I'm a lightweight.

Scott's event is US$500??? What is he offering, gold-plated seating? Handprinted souvenir pamphlets on vellum? Truffles and champagne in the interval?

No wonder USFS thinks its fanbase are made of money they don't need.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, this is completely different than the Champs Camp team building videos I was posting.

Still fun though.
I was just thinking "things USFS posts" in general.
Like the video I can't find now asking if they prefer edge or toe jumps (which actually may have come from Champs camp, I'm not sure)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott's event is US$500??? What is he offering, gold-plated seating? Handprinted souvenir pamphlets on vellum? Truffles and champagne in the interval?

No wonder USFS thinks its fanbase are made of money they don't need.
That's half what the breakfast is!!!!!!

Actually you can buy regular tickets through Ticketmaster which I think will be normal prices.

"After the show, the excitement continues at our exclusive After Show Celebration. Prepare to be dazzled by live entertainment, sip on delightful cocktails, savor a seated dinner, capture the perfect moment at our kiss-and-cry photo booth, and bid on incredible items in our silent auction. It's an evening filled with sensational experiences for our cherished patrons!"

It sounds better than bacon and a panel of retired skaters lecturing you on how to behave around them.

And HALF as much!

But, I've emailed them to see if Gracie and Keegan will be at this VIP thing, or available for autographs at any time. I think I emailed about a week ago and no response.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's half what the breakfast is!!!!!!

Actually you can buy regular tickets through Ticketmaster which I think will be normal prices.

"After the show, the excitement continues at our exclusive After Show Celebration. Prepare to be dazzled by live entertainment, sip on delightful cocktails, savor a seated dinner, capture the perfect moment at our kiss-and-cry photo booth, and bid on incredible items in our silent auction. It's an evening filled with sensational experiences for our cherished patrons!"

It sounds better than bacon and a panel of retired skaters lecturing you on how to behave around them.

And HALF as much!
Oh I wouldn't touch the FOFS breakfast even if Heston Blumenthal was flown in as chef and it was ten courses with gold plate and silver-leaf edible silverware.

{Mind you, that many breathless and almost orgasmic adjectives almost guarantees it will be a letdown, that's a sad fact of life, but at least they are getting a few more things than the FOFS full year membership.}

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh I wouldn't touch the FOFS breakfast even if Heston Blumenthal was flown in as chef and it was ten courses with gold plate and silver-leaf edible silverware.

{Mind you, that many breathless and almost orgasmic adjectives almost guarantees it will be a letdown, that's a sad fact of life, but at least they are getting a few more things than the FOFS full year membership.}
I will fork out what money I have for Gracie and Keegan, if I can rub shoulders with them - keep in mind I've NEVER gotten to see Keegan skate.

I don't understand all this not responding to emails. I used to run an animal related charity and we responded to emails within 24 hours. And we were all volunteers. And if you gave us $5 or $5,000 you got a handwritten thank you note from yours truly.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I will fork out what money I have for Gracie and Keegan, if I can rub shoulders with them - keep in mind I've NEVER gotten to see Keegan skate.
I can see why. I like quite a lot of skaters, but if I had the chance to travel to Japan for a Yuzu show, it would totally take precedence (and as much money as it took). I hope you get to see them.

For all the talk in this thread about the lack of real attempts to grow the sport (and I have contributed, I get it) the thing that I actually find most painful is the cavalier, insulting way USFS is treating their already loyal fans like you.
(Many organisations I subscribe to - none of which charge like this! because if they did I would not subscribe - also offer a discount or extras for longtime members.)

I don't understand all this not responding to emails. I used to run an animal related charity and we responded to emails within 24 hours. And we were all volunteers. And if you gave us $5 or $5,000 you got a handwritten thank you note from yours truly.
Didn't you even get a generated acknowledgement?

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can see why. I like quite a lot of skaters, but if I had the chance to travel to Japan for a Yuzu show, it would totally take precedence (and as much money as it took). I hope you get to see them.

For all the talk in this thread about the lack of real attempts to grow the sport (and I have contributed, I get it) the thing that I actually find most painful is the cavalier, insulting way USFS is treating their loyal fans like you.
(Many organisations I subscribe to - none of which charge like this! because if they did I would not subscribe - also offer a discount or extras for longtime members.)

Didn't you even get a generated acknowledgement?
I signed up at Nationals. I think I got a receipt. Maybe. But I'm more talking about emails. I know many people have written blistering emails. None have gotten any sort of response, including an auto generated one. I only found out about this on a board.

I did get this back in June. It is an automatic email. I don't know how the list to which to send it was generated.

Letter from the CEO

Athletes First. Two bold words that are the driving mission of U.S. Figure Skating.

After a defining first century, we are embarking on a transformative change across the organization and the entire sport. This change is being led by athletes who have shared tangible solutions and positive ideas as to how U.S. Figure Skating will better support them and grow the sport. Their voices and real-world experiences also compel us to do more to protect them from the myriad of abuses athletes can face, up to and including sexual abuse.

Since 2000, U.S. Figure Skating has been a leader in the adoption and implementation of SafeSport, pre-dating the creation of the U.S. Center for SafeSport. We believe and support survivors of abuse, painfully knowing they carry this trauma their entire lives. We have invested in a dedicated SkateSafe® staff to advocate for athletes, train our membership and encourage all to report suspected or known abuse.

But, as our athletes tell us, we can do more.

Recognizing this need, the Board of Directors embarked on this mission of transformative change in 2022 and made it the cornerstone of its CEO search. As that new CEO, I am committed to this mission and, since entering this role in January, have spent numerous hours listening to all levels of athletes. Their directive is clear: create change and move U.S. Figure Skating forward.

While much is in the works, I can share several steps we are taking:
  • Convening a revolutionary Athletes Commission to elevate their voices and participation beyond the governance role of the existing Athletes Advisory Committee.
  • Integrating the coaches’ program under the U.S. Figure Skating umbrella to establish consistent standards for certification, education, training and SafeSport reporting of more than 5,000 coaches.
  • Creation of an Athlete Advocate staff position that will actively integrate the athlete voice into our decision making and put in place the processes and infrastructure to achieve real transformation.
In my short time as CEO, I have learned so much from speaking with athletes, volunteers, coaches, officials and fans. I’m energized by the tremendous sense of community, passion and desire to grow the sport and its fanbase.

As we take these next steps toward our bold and exciting future, I look forward to connecting with you. Please reach out to me or a member of our staff at [email protected].

But first, as one athlete said to me, we must “get better faster.” That mission is one we can all embrace.
Tracy signature
Tracy Marek
CEO
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram

I am ALL for this. NO more Gracies. But there's nothing here that says "oh and we're also going to kick our loyal supporters to the curb."

Nationals is THE thing I save money for all year, and I give other things I would like to do up to do it.

Burn it down Gracie! Burn. it. down.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My daughter sent an email to USFS before 4CCs asking if she could get in on the presale for 4CCs by giving them money. She never got a reply.

Fortunately someone posted presale code on here. Unfortunately, our chosen seats were preempted by a camera blind. Fortunately, we liked the seats they finally gave us (after a LONG wait at the box office).

And she never sent any money to USFS. Their loss.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My daughter sent an email to USFS before 4CCs asking if she could get in on the presale for 4CCs by giving them money. She never got a reply.

Fortunately someone posted presale code on here. Unfortunately, our chosen seats were preempted by a camera blind. Fortunately, we liked the seats they finally gave us (after a LONG wait at the box office).

And she never sent any money to USFS. Their loss.
It just doesn't make any sense. They should have someone to answer emails. All emails should be answered within 24 hours. That's basic nonprofit etiquette. Because as you've demonstrated not answering emails means lost money. I looked up their financials on Guidestar. They have enough money to hire someone to do this. Or they could issue calls for volunteers. They have a LOT more money than I thought.