USFS has broken my heart | Page 6 | Golden Skate

USFS has broken my heart

streams4dreams

On the Ice
Oh tell me about it, though to be fair it was never that easy to watch skating in Japan from outside, I had to learn a lot of computer skills I never expected to to access fan streams... but the ISU report indicated the Japanese TV stations are not happy with the recent decline in domestic ratings, so their gatekeeping is not gonna change soon.

(MADs/FMVs are still being made, as they can be claimed to be 'fair use' from the biggest movies to the smallest niche entertainments, but people need to have the original footage to do them)
Indeed, I remember setting up an account with Fuji TV last year, and being deeply grateful to whoever it was on GS who provided the instructions, as the interface was 100% in Japanese. What a "fun" adventure, and we get to do it all over again in just a few months...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It just doesn't make any sense. They should have someone to answer emails. All emails should be answered within 24 hours. That's basic nonprofit etiquette. Because as you've demonstrated not answering emails means lost money. I looked up their financials on Guidestar. They have enough money to hire someone to do this. Or they could issue calls for volunteers. They have a LOT more money than I thought.
Which negates my assumption that USFS were losing money and makes me wonder what the hell they do with it. Doesn't appear they 'waste' it on fans.

Magill

Record Breaker
US Figure Skating remains the producer of the best fluff piece ever to this day, imo. I present to you young Kaitlin and Jean Luc lip synching "My Humps". Kaitlin was great, but Jean Luc killed it. :laugh2:

Funny, but no! The best FS fluff piece ever, imo, has been produced by ShibSibs Productions, yes, American, but no USFS involvement, was shot in Tokyo for all I know, starring Japanese cast, and is a kind of a thriller... So "Let's Knit Again" while the Oscar goes to.... Alex Shibutani and his cast! :clap:

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
I am sorry that your hearts are broken over money and not being able to go to the FOFS breakfast. It sounds like a lot of you had a great time. I never been one . I always wanted to go. Money issues prevented it. However is the Price too high? I hear and know of people buying season tickets for $5000 and that no longer includes playoff like used to do. Don't super fans pay anything to go? Ikbiw a few that saved up and paid even the high price scaplers? Is not that what fans do. Pay what have to so they can go? I assume that alot of you are figure skaters or Families so you are already. Strapped monetary wise. So this is another burden some has to give up. That is sad. Yes having skaters that are medalist help. Are they main draw some mention gymnastics not same target group. Not w with security needed at events, is it viable? Does other sports have breakfast meet and greet, or autograph signing anymore, or even backstage or behind the scenes? I do not think so. Why shouldn't they charge more? As stated previously so sorry for the loss and heart being broken.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
FOFS makes Scott's event look like a screaming bargain at only $500.

I'm seriously mad enough to take a pass on Nationals (if Gracie is not there) and go to Scott's thing where Gracie AND KEEGAN will be there.

I wonder if the booze is top shelf because I'm a lightweight.

It isn't clear to me from the description whether the skaters will even be at the VIP after-party, let alone accessible. Not that I am minimizing the joy that seeing Keegan skate can bring, but I believe you seek access to the skaters, since you are lamenting the loss of the FOFS breakfast.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown has the funniest fluff pieces (usually for shows this year and last)

Of course, these are for shows, so the skaters are more free to cooperate and be silly. I'm less impressed by professional execution than concept.

I wish I could find the one Jason filmed where the cast is waking up sleeppyShoma for a show. Do any Shoma fans know where to find that?

icewhite

Record Breaker
I am sorry that your hearts are broken over money and not being able to go to the FOFS breakfast. It sounds like a lot of you had a great time. I never been one . I always wanted to go. Money issues prevented it. However is the Price too high? I hear and know of people buying season tickets for $5000 and that no longer includes playoff like used to do. Don't super fans pay anything to go? Ikbiw a few that saved up and paid even the high price scaplers? Is not that what fans do. Pay what have to so they can go? I assume that alot of you are figure skaters or Families so you are already. Strapped monetary wise. So this is another burden some has to give up. That is sad. Yes having skaters that are medalist help. Are they main draw some mention gymnastics not same target group. Not w with security needed at events, is it viable? Does other sports have breakfast meet and greet, or autograph signing anymore, or even backstage or behind the scenes? I do not think so. Why shouldn't they charge more? As stated previously so sorry for the loss and heart being broken.

I guess everybody has their own comparisons. A card for the whole season (league games) for Bayern München, the most popular soccer (by far the most popular sport in Germany) club here and one of the best in the world, costs between 165 and 840 Euro (impaired 100, children up to 14 100-430). That's 34 games. Ticket for group stage (3 games) of Champions League (against other European clubs) is 15-80 Euro.
Elbphilharmonie Hamburg, a very popular and good place for classical music concerts, sells their abos for 3-5 events with some of the best classical musicians and conductors in the world for around 150 Euro.
I have no idea about general ticket prices in the US, but well, that's what I compare figure skating prices to. I recently read about the insane prices for a Miami game now that Messi is there, but I don't know if sports ticket prices in general are so high in the US.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
It isn't clear to me from the description whether the skaters will even be at the VIP after-party, let alone accessible. Not that I am minimizing the joy that seeing Keegan skate can bring, but I believe you seek access to the skaters, since you are lamenting the loss of the FOFS breakfast.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Nana Pat. Do what you feel is best for you. Nana Pat isn't Keegan , Canadian. I can seek joy in Canada to see him

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Yes I have opinion. I was mainly talk about football friend that lament their higher prices. Is figure skating the only sport that did meet and greet, backstage? I am not aware of any sports that does it. Since I didn't go to the FOFS breakfast, I am unaware of what else went on during the breakfast. I am aware that the cost to it went up. Like I stated I am sorry that you can't go. That u miss it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm wondering if we are talking apples and oranges here when talking about the price increase for FOFS.

1. FOFS membership is a donation to the US Figure Skating, which is a nonprofit organization. (I assume). It comes with certain perks, one of which had been a meet and greet breakfast during US Nats.

It does NOT include, as far as I know, the price of seats.

2. Of course, prices for football in the US are stratospheric, and that's assuming you can get them. The Philadelphia Eagles have a waiting list of 85,000 (yes 85,000) to buy season tickets. You can also buy a stadium builders license for $6,000, for the privilege of trying to buy tickets. Not the actual price of the tickets (I think it may be $4000 for cheap seats).

3. In the Amazon Prime documentary Kelce, which I wholeheartedly recommend for an honest look at the life of a pro athlete even if you don't give a fig about the NFL or the Eagles, tickets to the Super Bowl were $4,000 each for Jason's family. For a player in the Super Bowl who had access to the tickets at face value. Of course normal humans normally don't get that access. :cautious:

4. Lord only knows what a breakfast meet and greet would cost for the likes of Eagles players, but football players generally do that to raise money for charity. At least IME.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'm wondering if we are talking apples and oranges here when talking about the price increase for FOFS.

1. FOFS membership is a donation to the US Figure Skating, which is a nonprofit organization. (I assume). It comes with certain perks, one of which had been a meet and greet breakfast during US Nats.

2. Of course, prices for football in the US are stratospheric, and that's assuming you can get them. The Philadelphia Eagles have a waiting list of 85,000 (yes 85,000) to buy season tickets. You can also buy a stadium builders license for $6,000, for the privilege of trying to buy tickets. Not the actual price of the tickets (I think it may be $4000 for cheap seats).

3. In the Amazon Prime documentary Kelce, which I wholeheartedly recommend for an honest look at the life of a pro athlete even if you don't give a fig about the NFL or the Eagles, tickets to the Super Bowl were $4,000 each for Jason's family. For a player in the Super Bowl who had access to the tickets at face value. Of course normal humans normally don't get that access. :cautious:

4. Lord only knows what a breakfast meet and greet would cost for the likes of Eagles players, but football players generally do that to raise money for charity. At least IME.

Of course in a way we are talking about very different things here and my post is kind of off topic.
Apparently prices in the US for sports are very different from what I'm used to. As is the whole system.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I am a super fan. I do not have a lot of money. I’m disabled. I save all year to do the things I get to do.

So no, that is not what this super fan does. There is only so much money. I have to pay bills and I can’t manufacture money out of the air. I just returned from a car test drive that pays $115 and by the time I add up time to and from, time test driving the car, and filling out the 85 question survey, I am sure it will be close to minimum wage. Not to mention the gas used. So please do not tell me if I just wanted to enough I would just save up the money.

I don’t know that a lot of people here are figure skaters or families. I certainly know a few who are.

USA gymnastics is great at having their athletes and former athletes available for autograph signing. So no. It’s not just figure skating. NCAA gymnastics, same thing. I have been to Olympic trials where not only do they have free autograph lines but a really cool fireworks show, the best I have ever seen actually. They may have some sort of behind the scenes thing. I just do not know.

I follow football but do not attend games so can’t comment there.

I went to Simone’s GOAT tour as a VIP. It was a birthday present from my family. They had some behind the scenes stuff.

Sorry I erased your name. I do not know how to fix it.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Which negates my assumption that USFS were losing money and makes me wonder what the hell they do with it. Doesn't appear they 'waste' it on fans.
They may be losing money. I have no idea. But (I got all this info off Guidestar; it is public info) interestingly enough, there are two organizations- one is “The United States Figure Skating Foundation” - “that exists for the purpose of supporting the functions and carrying on the purposes of the United States Figure Skating Association” - gross receipts $33,757,951 and assets of $95,566,043. Then there is “United States Figure Skating Association Learn to Skate USA” with gross receipts of $27,990,773 and assets of $14,861,532. I mean it’s not the American Cancer Association but it seems like a lot of money to me.

The 990 forms are also available but that’s really not my area of expertise.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's not that simple, and no, most of us are probably not families. In fact, for many of us the skaters we love and follow are in other parts of the world, and/or compete or do shows all over the world. Fans have followed some skaters all over the world, scrimping and saving on what they can to afford the air fares, using up their holiday leave, suffering through the unique and Japanese form of bloodbath torture known as the anti-scalper ticket lottery (and I am not kidding, plane tickets are ordered and hotels in the towns and areas in questions sell out waaaaaaay before the lotteries even start, so people are putting aside the money on the off-chance, even though it's ridiculous hard to even get on the lottery for foreigners).

Fans buy merchandise, fans buy and take presents (see the stuffie thread), fans spend whatever they can as they do for any pastime or craze or whatever. But especially in this current cost of living crisis, many fans in all sports don't have money to waste. And therefore they are entitled to look at what is offered for the $500, $1000 or whatever and say "I can't afford it, not for what I will get for my money," and resent not just the wallet-gouging price rise, but also the slashing of what the price rise is going to get them with no acknowledgement of the many years they have managed to afford it.

The ones you and others quote from the huge football fandoms, there will also be many many 'super fans' who simply can't afford 'season tickets for $5000 and that no longer includes playoff like used to do', so have to stay home and watch on TV. But the number who can and are prepared to is greater than in a smaller sport like ours. Then there is the insane rich old white man's sport of golf... where super fans can and are sometimes expected to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions. A friend of mine loves watching it, but he - and those football super fans, were cases to switch - wouldn't have that odd million to spare.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They may be losing money. I have no idea. But (I got all this info off Guidestar; it is public info) interestingly enough, there are two organizations- one is “The United States Figure Skating Foundation” - “that exists for the purpose of supporting the functions and carrying on the purposes of the United States Figure Skating Association” - gross receipts $33,757,951 and assets of $95,566,043. Then there is “United States Figure Skating Association Learn to Skate USA” with gross receipts of $27,990,773 and assets of $14,861,532. I mean it’s not the American Cancer Association but it seems like a lot of money to me.

The 990 forms are also available but that’s really not my area of expertise.
Ah. That is (and no, I am not being facetious) rather less than I would have expected, especially the gross receipts. But they won't be needing to sell off the silverware any time soon, I guess...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

@el henry The high roller levels of FOFS include 2 premium seats at US Nats, Skate America and Us National Synchronized Skating Championships. It also used to include a shuttle. They've taken a good deal of things from the $10,000 crowd as well.

Little confusion over the breakfast: The $65 - $124 level allowed you the opportunity to purchase a ticket. You did not get a free ticket.
The $125-249 level got you one free ticket. The $250 level and all levels above got you 2 free tickets. So the 2 free ticket price has gone up to $1,000. That's a 75 % increase.

For comparison:

old: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/Friends of Figure Skating Brochure.pdf

new: https://www.usfigureskating.org/support/donate/friends-figure-skating

All players who are good enough to make it to the Super Bowl should get 2 free tickets. That's absurd.

It's not that simple, and no, most of us are probably not families. In fact, for many of us the skaters we love and follow are in other parts of the world, and/or compete or do shows all over the world. Fans have followed some skaters all over the world, scrimping and saving on what they can to afford the air fares, using up their holiday leave, suffering through the unique and Japanese form of bloodbath torture known as the anti-scalper ticket lottery (and I am not kidding, tickets are ordered and hotels in the towns and areas in questions sell out waaaaaaay before the lotteries even start, so people are putting aside the money on the off-chance, even though it's ridiculous hard to even get on the lottery for foreigners).

Fans buy merchandise, fans buy and take presents (see the stuffie thread), fans spend whatever they can as they do for any pastime or craze or whatever. But especially in this current cost of living crisis, many fans in all sports don't have money to waste. And therefore they are entitled to look at what is offered for the $500, $1000 or whatever and say "I can't afford it, not for what I will get for my money," and resent not just the wallet-gouging price rise, but also the slashing of what the price rise is going to get them with no acknowledgement of the many years they have managed to afford it.

The ones you and others quote from the huge football fandoms, there will also be many many 'super fans' who simply can't afford 'season tickets for $5000 and that no longer includes playoff like used to do', so have to stay home and watch on TV. But the number who can and are prepared to is greater than in a smaller sport like ours. Then there is the insane rich old white man's sport of golf... where super fans can and are sometimes expected to spend hundreds of thousands if not millions. A friend of mine loves watching it, but he - and those football super fans, were cases to switch - wouldn't have that odd million to spare.
Maybe there is confusion because a lot of us say my child, my children. If I were a newcomer to this board I might be confused. I can't afford $5,000 for anything. There are smaller comps I can go to that cost very little (I think Philly International is $25 for the entire time). I can get a lot of "face time" with skaters there and do not have to give USFS money to do so.

Fans buy roses for Gracie. Roses at the grocery store are like $12.99, $14.99. It's the expense of actually getting them to her that is a problem.
I must also thank all nice GSers who have given me rides to the store to purchase said roses.

Last edited: