Learning Axel=Protection pads | Golden Skate

Learning Axel=Protection pads

Myblade

Rinkside
Hi guys! I am starting to learn the axel. It is quite the milestone in a skater's life. I have fell a lot of times on my tailbone and various other places and decided that it was high time that I go get myself some butt pads. I am quite new to these butt pads, and they all look the same to me. Will it be better if I just buy the tailbone pad or should I go with the protection shorts? If anyone has a particular brand that works really well for them, please put it down! Thank you!

loopy

Final Flight
My daughter uses triple8 bum padded women's roller derby shorts. http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Bum-Savers-Roller-Guards/dp/B007VSTLJU They do make her look a little bigger, but she is there for falling so she is glad to not get seriously injured. With axel you might be fine with just a hip pad --- if I remember correctly, she was always hitting the same hip over and over when learning it. these are the slimmest padded shorts I could find. She had the zoombang shorts before these and the gel in those dried out - the triple 8 seem much more lasting.

vlaurend

Final Flight
I would get something that pads both hips and your tailbone. When I learned the axel, I made every possible mistake, and that meant falling in every possible way. There are LOTS of mistakes you can make while trying to master this jump and you need to be prepared to fall in different ways as you work through each of those technique issues. In fact, about two weeks after I started landing my axel, I started making a new mistake, which was landing too far back on my blade and falling backward after landing. The palms of my hands got so bruised from breaking those falls that I had to buy padded cycling gloves, LOL!

balladeno1

Rinkside
don't worry about it making your butt look big. better a "big" butt than a broken/severely hurt tailbone/hip/etc. the shorts seem hard to move on/off, but it will likely stay in place. I heard they're sweaty, too.