This and That: Cup of China Recap | Golden Skate

This and That: Cup of China Recap

TSLDave

On the Ice
http://youtu.be/6NoVpu91UrQ

The ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating rolled on to the 2015 Cup of China. The always unpredictable event featured upsets, quad lutzes, alarming costumes and a memorable program to Titanic. Sui and Han, Javier Fernandez, Elena Radionova and Mao Asada headlined this event. On this week's edition of 'This and That,' we mourn our fantasy scores, discuss the importance of highlights in performance and get down to business regarding Jenny's daughter.

Does Mao Asada need to add facial expressions to her short program?

Should Javier Fernandez attempt three quads?

Can the Titanic program be fixed?

Is dandelion yellow ever okay on the ice?

Does Iyanla need to bring Elena and Nikita back together?

Who was your best dressed?

Barb

Record Breaker
No, she only needs to work better with the expressions that she already has.

No

only if is a complete different program and other version of music.

The color of Courntey´s dress? Yes, I love it, the desing is ugly but the color is great.

NO WAY.

Mao SP.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GS Quiz :biggrin:

What was Dave listening to while surrounded by bubbles and lavender mist?

minze

Medalist
Does Mao need to add more facial expression to SP
Give her time to me by 4cc she will grow 100% into this program, just like she did I Got Rhythm a couple of seasons back.

Should Javier Fernandez attemp 3 quads

Yes he will need if Hanyu and Patrick are on.

Can Titanic Program be fixed
Yes, less arm movements and maybe change the edit

I don't trust Iyanla to fix anything keeping it real

Is Dandellion Yellow ever okay on the ice

Nope. Is that color similar to the color Asley Wagner wore for Samson and Dalila

Who was best dressed
Elena

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Should Fernandez attempt three quads ?
He is already with 3 quads 10 pts in BV behind Hanyu, so I think answer is ... yes, and he even should add another 3A in program if he wants to holds technically with Hanyu

Last edited:

noidont

Final Flight
Yes to all but Titanic and anything Courtney Hicks. I'm not going to lie. I desperately want I/K back together.

Radionova is for me the best dressed.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I think Mao's expressions are good, she just needs to focus a little bit mor on them every now and then. Otherwise, for me, it would look, too forced.
I think Javier does need to go for three quads or two quads and two 3A, Boyang's TES was dangerously high even if Javier's got him in PCS. But idk which quad is more consistent with him ATM. A couple of seasons ago I would have said 4S without a moments hesitation, but at COC his best quad was the 4T. However, if he goes for two 4T and pops one into a triple, he's in risk of zayaking since (I think) one of his planned repeated jumps ATM is the 3T.
Can the Titanic program be fixed? Ehm, I watched that program since the test skates and I'm not a big fan of it. It would need a lot of work, and perhaps there's not enough time for COR. But if she makes the GPF, perhaps she could get something done.
Elena and Nikita are fine with Ruslan and Victoria.
Best dress for me was Zijun's And Rika's SP dresses. Madison's SP dress was also very pretty.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Yes and I think she will as she grows more confident throughout the season.

Yes - he needs it, especially since he only does 1 3A. He has improved his SS, but he is no Patrick Chan.

Probably not. The words at the end are horrendous. And she seems to flail even more than last season. I have a feeling she won't be on the Euro/World team this season.
NO.

It's too late at this point, in my opinion.

LP: Asada, SP: Fernandez

My moment of the week was Asada's spread eagle in her LP. Even with the mistakes, the artistic effect of her program was still head and shoulders ahead the rest of the field. If she skates it clean, IMO this will be her signature program. The 3A in the LP was the best one she's done since 2008 4CC.

musicfan80

Medalist
Does Mao Asada need to add facial expressions to her short program? I think her expression will just get better and better as the season goes. Especially if she keep competing well.

Should Javier Fernandez attempt three quads? Not until he can land them consistently in run through.

Can the Titanic program be fixed? No - but I hate the music from Titanic anyway.

Is dandelion yellow ever okay on the ice? NO - and that brightness for any other color either.

Does Iyanla need to bring Elena and Nikita back together? I think if they were going to work as a dance team, they were going to find a way to make it work.

Who was your best dressed? Mao Asada.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Does Mao Asada need to add facial expressions to her short program? - Yes! In fact, I was not a crazy fan of her SP, maybe this was because of lack of expression. Too safe IMO

Should Javier Fernandez attempt three quads? - Yes! Go for it, Hanyu and Chan have better PCS, so he needs points.

Can the Titanic program be fixed? - I actually found myself enyoing it more than I expected. However, I would get rid of vocals..

Is dandelion yellow ever okay on the ice? - Indifferent. Why not?

Does Iyanla need to bring Elena and Nikita back together? - No and no. There will never be a healthy relationship between I and K. Plus both S/K and I/Z seem to have found their style. I/Z's FS is my favourite program this season tbh

Who was your best dressed? - Elena Radionova (though I would do her SP dress shorter in the back)

desertskates

Medalist
-It would help, but I think expression will come with time as she gets back into the competitive groove again.

-Yes.

-I'll never be a fan of it, unfortunately. I think Elena is capable of so much more. The music cuts all come together to make a cheesy mess. This is just imo.

-Yes. I just don't care for the styling of this dress and I don't think it's Courtney's color.

-No. That ship sailed long ago.

Mao Asada and Rika Hongo both in the long program.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think and perhaps sadly that while at first I thought the technical upping would be good for the sport but perhaps Hanyu and Duhamel and Radford (who for some reason gets more flack here) both should applauded and booed. We rarely see clean performance now and when we do it usually includes a stumble at least or a struggled landing. Winning with a major error is not unexpected. Javier has consistency problems so yes he needs three quads to compete and if he wants his title back. should he do it I am not so sure. I was quite happy with a two quad free skate; I thought that was more than enough.

I am confident Mao will strike the right cord for facials in the sp with time.

As for dandelion yellow it depends on the program and skater - doesn't work for Courtney imho but that is just me

I would love to see Elena and Nikita back together - I think they could have been something extraordinary especially if they worked technically but realistically that won't happen unless they fall in love.

Best dressed I guess Rad though I liked Sui's lp dress - I didn't like her bob. It is awkward especially the top part - Yuka's was more flattering even when skating.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
No, she doesn't need to overdo it.

Sure.

No. And they won't try to fix it anyway, Elena seems to love it and she gets a high PCS. Youthful indiscretion.

Yes. Remember Michelle Williams 2006 oscar dress. Hearing about it I thought it was a very very bad idea, but then it was gorgeous in every way.

You want drama, don't you? :reye:

The japanese ladies.

andromache

Record Breaker
Nope, it's fine the way it is. She wasn't skating it completely stone-faced so I don't see a problem.

Better to take the risk rather than play it safe in this field

I'm in the minority that loves the tacky Titanic program. :eek:: I think when the vocals come in she needs a long spread eagle/Ina Bauer/spiral to create an epic moment and embrace the cheesiness. Elena isn't elegant perfection yet, but her movements look more fluid and controlled than last season and I think her program would benefit with a bit more of an emphasis on holding a few positions. So yes, it can be improved, but I'm not sure if they will.

It works for some people, but not redheads. I liked Yuna Kim's 2014 SP dress.

I miss their star quality, but nah.

Elena Radionova! (That's who I predicted as Jenny's best dressed too, since she's her daughter and all. :))

moriel

Record Breaker
Looks ok on close up, but maybe you need more drama for people who watch it live.

Not now, but surely something to think about for the next year. Because I don't think he will keep the PCs advantage forever.

Its fine already, as Elena seems to love and and she will sell it to everybody. Maybe just the end of the music is a bit weird, but she will still sell it =P

Same as any other colour except for white, which never works, yellow works for some people.

No way. We have 2 great ice dance teams now, no need to break it again.

Astakhova/Rogonov - but ofc i am a bit biased lols. Elena R is a close second.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
If I'm not mistaken Javi has been attempting 3 quads LP since 2012-2013 season. Yes, he should keep it.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
I was expecting your recap! :cheer:
And, most of all, your ask about the best dressed! :D

- I don't think Mao lacks in interpretation or facial expressions. Maybe in the free she was a little bit stone faced, but her facial expressions in the dramatic accents of the music was perfect. About the short, instead, I think she is absolutely funny.

- Ok, this is a difficult question. Javier has really low percentage in realizing all the three quads scheduled in his program, and it's normal for him to complete one with a fall, so, on this side, I would say he has to do a program with only two quads. But, on the other side, I think that third quad can be the keys: his other triple jumps are not of the best quality, he often pops the triple lutz, sometimes has problem on the flip, and he completes the triple axel beautifully very little time. So I think that quad is useful for him. And if one day he will complete the three quads, he could really be the best of the field.

- I don't like the Titanic program, as most of the people, and I don't think that with a similar music cuts it can improve so much. But, I think Elena sells the program well (ok, she can sells every type of program :) ). So, if she improves her interpretation in this program, she will receive high PCs (I still can't understand how the judges gave her higher PCs than Hongo..). This said, I miss the energy and exuberance of last year's programs.

- Well, it depends. Not ever. I think Yuna's Sebd in the Clown's dress was beautiful, but I found terrible that of Courtney. So I think it is not a matter of colirs, but maybe of design.

- Ok, I really miss a couple with the quality and the charisma Nikita and Elena had. But I think that at this point, it would be impossible for them to restart together. So I think that no, ot would be toooo much drama.

- My favourite question! My best dressed is Zijun Li. Her SP dress was absolutely faboulous and suits the music. :gclap:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

No.

Only if he can land them, so no for now.

No. It's too snoozy and doesn't allow Elena's personality to show through. Her team needs to look again at her 2014 long program--tacky as it was, she was a little performer. What happened to that Elena?

I didn't think the dress was that bad. I don't agree she should have worn white. At least the bright yellow made a statement. If Courtney lands her jumps, no one will care about her dress.

I'm indifferent.

Mao, long program. Elena, long program.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
COC 2015 is all about one thing: JINSANITY!!

Yes. Only if he can do it. And it should apply to everyone in the name of sport. Especially Four has become a new standard in the FS.

Why does it require fixing when it is already gathered PCS 65+ lol... only 4 points from Mao's Madam butterfly with the 3A. 14 points from the hugely underrated Leonardoless Red Violin? :angry2:

More like fix the judging first. Punish poorer programs, tacky material. Reward artistically credible programs. (Didn't British Judge used to do that during the 6.0 age? Vanessa somebody, sorry the name skips me). Then better and more thoughtful program will follow.

Yes, it depends on the hue and gradient it comes with it. The costume need to appear more vintage and antique looking.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Elizabeth_soundtrack.jpg
I can see what they are trying to do, but the colour and material they used is bit on the bright and flat side, too yellow and new especially when contrasting with ice white background.

I always welcome any opportunity for eye feasting, but it will only work if they actually want to be together.

Javier's SP, goatee is + 3GOE. Love he look so manly and mature. The best Spanish speciman on ice :p

Zijun's FS costume, So Youn's off shoulder Red Violin costume, sublime.

-----

By the way some trivia for you about Boyan Jin's surname 金博洋; Jin actually = 金 Gold in Chinese. It also shares the same Chinese character as Yuna Kim's Kim 金姸兒.

So in this sport, we have Kim, Gracie Gold, Jin = all meaning Gold. China has 2 Jin now (Jin Yang 金杨) , so hopefully China get lots of Gold headlines in the future to come I really like Jin Yan and Yu ZiaoYu. I am still hopeful for Gracie in the upcoming worlds just to see the headlines.

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
I think she has them, they slipped occasionally, as the season goes on, she will be more confident.

Javier - I don't know! I am behind!

Titanic needs new Titanic music. When the voices start I am filled with uncomfortable giggling.

The yellow- of course! This dress is cut really nicely. I wish they used blue instead of red for the details. A gold hairpiece instead of silver as well.

Zijun for the best of costumes, Mao second. Zijun's really worked perfectly with her shape and music. I think Mao must have lost weight between getting her costumes and wearing them. She must be training really hard. I did like the sheer top on her long program dress.

Last edited: