2023 Cup of China Men's Free Skate | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2023 Cup of China Men's Free Skate

sworddance21

On the Ice
I'm very late to this party and thus far have only watched Shoma's skate. That program is a masterpiece of choreography. I don't think there is anyone else skating now, except Jason, that could handle that music. (I haven't seen Adam yet, so I am not questioning the result in any way.) I just absolutely loved Shoma's command of that piece.

Can someone explain to me why Shoma's step sequences in both programs were level 2? I assume that is something they will want to address.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congrats to Adam. I am so impressed. Consistency on the quads. Entertaining and engagning. Able to leap deal with the world favourites. He has beaten the big guns already and looked solid. I wonder if Lambiel being the coach is trying to sell this program (free) of Shoma's because honestly I know he was just showing the program and not all the tech is there but the music really dies out at the end and if not skated cleanly it really kind of ends as a dud and a whimper.

Crowdproud

On the Ice
... I wonder if Lambiel being the coach is trying to sell this program (free) of Shoma's because honestly I know he was just showing the program and not all the tech is there but the music really dies out at the end and if not skated cleanly it really kind of ends as a dud and a whimper.
I had the same impression. Spiegel im Spiegel is a beautiful piece of music, but it does not build. I might have been better to have Timelapse as the closing piece; or have Pärt as the middle piece in the fast-slow-fast construction of a program. The current program gave off the air of being a swan song, which was a bit sad.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm very late to this party and thus far have only watched Shoma's skate. That program is a masterpiece of choreography. I don't think there is anyone else skating now, except Jason, that could handle that music. (I haven't seen Adam yet, so I am not questioning the result in any way.) I just absolutely loved Shoma's command of that piece.

Can someone explain to me why Shoma's step sequences in both programs were level 2? I assume that is something they will want to address.
In the short, on review the 2 was changed to a 3.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I think Shaidorov could benefit by competing more, both to gain ranking points and get more exposure to the judges. It was a bummer that he had to withdraw from Nepela, as some of the early kinks in judges' perceptions could have been worked out. Case in point, between Skate Canada and GP China, his combined PCS magically "improved" by 7 points. While the q calls in free in China were still baffling. I hope his federation sends him to a couple Challengers this season.
They are sending him, it's just that visa requirments and illness are messing with poor kid. Luckily, he should have visa for Montreal already from SkCan and hopefully 4CC will be okay too for Korea. If he can get a couple of Challengers, all the beter!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
The cake looks tasty, glad you're having a fun time celebrating! Also, the idea of pairing Carmina Burana with cake photos is unexpectedly brilliant! The cake can now star in any number of action movies! It is a cake that could either save the world or destroy it! 😆

No, I couldn't get back to sleep after Cup of China ended.... 😅
Thank you! I am trying to get better at this Instagram thing, lol.

amanda b

Rinkside
What I've loved about Adam's skating and choreography is that it is so honest and from the heart. Shoma seems increasingly mannered and going through the motions with artificial arm movements that are very reminiscent of all Lambiel's skaters, and for me it now detracts from the undoubted quality of Shoma's skating.