Wondering about why Nagasu continues? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Wondering about why Nagasu continues?

ssffww

On the Ice
I think that is wishful thinking, since Mirai has many UR problems with her jumping... Would she really be able to fully rotate the most difficult one in a competition???

Of course it's wishful thinking. I thought that was clear when I said "if she ever pulls one off." I don't expect it, but she has landed it cleaning in practices, so it's not out of the realm of possibility, especially at nationals where she tends to be less worried about UR's.

ssffww

On the Ice
Even if she did, would she be able to rotate the additional 6 triples that she would need to win a big event? It's quite a bit of a different situation than Liza, who had displayed a complete mastery of all the triples before introducing the 3A. Mirai achieving a 3A but then rotating another triple or two in a LP won't help her much at all.

I never meant to suggest I expect Mirai to rotate it in competition (in point of fact, i don't). Merely that it would be a game changer for the American ladies if she did, even with a few other under rotations, because UR's are often not called at Nationals.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimmie Meissner landed a 3a at Nationals and it wasn't a game changer. Yeah, she went on to win Worlds (no 3a attempt), but that was the last international competition she ever won. The following season, she had a growth spurt and she wasn't able to completely rotate her jumps any more.

Mirai is 23 (she'll be 24 come spring) and she is past the age when she can master a new skill and introduce it successfully into a competitive program when her current skills need considerable work to move her into contention with the top skaters.

She needs to forget the 3a and just concentrate on getting those jumps around and looking alive and vibrant out there on the ice. That is what counts more than anything else.