Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam Retire | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alexandra Paul and Mitchell Islam Retire

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think what I meant has been misunderstood.

In the year following P/C's Mozartian breakthrough, I saw the FD choreography coming out of DSC change. W/P is probably the most clear cut example of this. Take a look at Maria, which is about passion and the tradition of the tango. Then take a look at the neo-Four Seasons (geez, even the fact that they chose a tres moderne transcription of Vivaldi I found incredibly revealing). The Four Seasons program is far more self-consciously arty, it uses moves that take from contemporary dance in a far more self conscious way. It is less ballroom than theatre. I'm talking about degrees of influence here, not a slavish imitation. Alba, where are you honey? You know exactly what I mean. I saw it happen with H/B (compare Amelie and R&J to The Theory of Everything) and with H/B. Sorry but I'm sticking to what I'm saying, because this year, with one main team left--Hawayek and Baker, they went back to basics. That program would not have been out of place when Angelika was competing (well, the lifts maybe, but then the discipline has become more athletic and, well, sporty since AK was competing).

An influence doesn't mean "copying."

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think what I meant has been misunderstood.

In the year following P/C's Mozartian breakthrough, I saw the FD choreography coming out of DSC change. W/P is probably the most clear cut example of this. Take a look at Maria, which is about passion and the tradition of the tango. Then take a look at the neo-Four Seasons (geez, even the fact that they chose a tres moderne transcription of Vivaldi I found incredibly revealing). The Four Seasons program is far more self-consciously arty, it uses moves that take from contemporary dance in a far more self conscious way. It is less ballroom than theatre. I'm talking about degrees of influence here, not a slavish imitation. Alba, where are you honey? You know exactly what I mean. I saw it happen with H/B (compare Amelie and R&J to The Theory of Everything) and with H/B. Sorry but I'm sticking to what I'm saying, because this year, with one main team left--Hawayek and Baker, they went back to basics. That program would not have been out of place when Angelika was competing (well, the lifts maybe, but then the discipline has become more athletic and, well, sporty since AK was competing).

An influence doesn't mean "copying."

But W/P's Four Seasons was choreographed and debuted before P/C put the world on notice with their Mozart at Cup of China. It was also choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne from what I remember. It's sort of like when people say the Shibs copied P/C with their current season's FD but a lot of the moves people say are copied from P/C and that Marina ripped it off when those moves were taken from their own Coldplay exhibition (prior to "Fix You") that was choreographed by Peter Tcherneyshev and debuted before P/C competed at Cup of China as well.

Last edited:

chezzu

On the Ice
But W/P's Four Seasons was choreographed and debuted before P/C put the world on notice with their Mozart at Cup of China. It was also choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne from what I remember. It's sort of like when people say the Shibs copied P/C with their current season's FD but a lot of the moves people say are copied from P/C and that Marina ripped it off when those moves were taken from their own Coldplay exhibition (prior to "Fix You") that was choreographed by Peter Tcherneyshev and debuted before P/C competed at Cup of China as well.

My thoughts exactly! The W/P style began to change BEFORE P/C even made their name known on the circuit, with their bronze in CoC. Maybe you can say the subsequent season's "This Bitter Earth" was inspired by P/C's Mozart -- but again, I don't see it, because "This Bitter Earth" was dark, abstract and moody. Same with H/B's Theory of Everything -- dark and abstract. Yes P/C does abstract -- but not really dark.

If anything I think Camerlengo was just trying out new styles for his two pairs. Four Seasons was a masterpiece, but ToE and TBE were just bleh. I will admit that he probably recognized that contemporary was being rewarded in the circuit in 2014-2015, tried it out for one season 2015-2016, and realized -- nope.

rosy14

Final Flight
My thoughts exactly! The W/P style began to change BEFORE P/C even made their name known on the circuit, with their bronze in CoC. Maybe you can say the subsequent season's "This Bitter Earth" was inspired by P/C's Mozart -- but again, I don't see it, because "This Bitter Earth" was dark, abstract and moody. Same with H/B's Theory of Everything -- dark and abstract. Yes P/C does abstract -- but not really dark.

If anything I think Camerlengo was just trying out new styles for his two pairs. Four Seasons was a masterpiece, but ToE and TBE were just bleh. I will admit that he probably recognized that contemporary was being rewarded in the circuit in 2014-2015, tried it out for one season 2015-2016, and realized -- nope.

If I'm not mistaken, the very beautiful, for me, W/P's LP of last year was choreographed by Tcherneyshev or, perhaps, Shae-Lynn Bourne again.
Mozart-Preljocaj-Dubrueil, and then Dubrueil copying herself (and P.), and lastly Dubrueil copying herself copying herself. Adjusting choreos and ice dancing to her couple who can do something quite good, but other things very poorly.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

You're throwing well-reasoned facts into my beyootful argument. Curses! :drama: :laugh2:

Well I do remember at the time describing the Four Seasons program as too aware and trying too hard to be An Important Program. So I'm glad to see DSC go back to basics. It's certainly working very well for H/B!

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
You're throwing well-reasoned facts into my beyootful argument. Curses! :drama: :laugh2:

Well I do remember at the time describing the Four Seasons program as too aware and trying too hard to be An Important Program. So I'm glad to see DSC go back to basics. It's certainly working very well for H/B!

I do think W/P are always working with different styles. After their "Je Suis Malade" program, DSC went with a more modern statue program that seemed to be a throwback to old school 90s Russian dances and people didn't seem to like it that much either. I think people like them best when they do programs that are more grounded.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I do think W/P are always working with different styles. After their "Je Suis Malade" program, DSC went with a more modern statue program that seemed to be a throwback to old school 90s Russian dances and people didn't seem to like it that much either. I think people like them best when they do programs that are more grounded.

Which is why I think the back to basics approach they're using with H/B is so successful. The statue program was just flat to me.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry to see them go. I liked them quite a bit.

It's difficult, but it's just a fact. Sometimes very good skaters (and very good people) will work long and hard, and will still not achieve great national or international success.

This is especially true when the field in one's own country is so deep. P/I would probably never win a Canadian title, but they could probably win the national title of any but five-or-so countries.