Cat Stevens | Golden Skate

Cat Stevens

heyang

Record Breaker
I didn't even know he had converted to Islam. Apparently he's on the list because he does a lot of fundraising for Islamist groups - some my have been fronts for terrorist funding.

Why was he coming back to the US? He denounced the US, etc. Why would he come back to a country that he wanted no part of? Was there any explanation of why he was trying to enter the US?

sk8m8

Final Flight
I am not a big fan of the current era of genral public distrust of people outside of the "norm" whatever that may be where you live. That being said, If I remember correctly, the formerly named Cat Stevens denounced Salmone Rushdi after he wrote "The Satanic Verses." The former Stevens and serveral prominant followers of Islam who were also high profile personalities, called for the death of Mr. Rushdi on the ground that he had basphemed Allah and that his execution should be carried out.

While I certainly don't have any personal ill will towards the former Mr. Stevens, I do understand that if you have publicly call for someone's death in the media and it is a matter of record, and we are in a time of being warned about terroist everwhere, you may lose your free pass to travel abroad. Just because the statements were made in London doesn't mean the State department and the US Press didn't hear about it. And maybe, just because they do these little things, they wrote it down, thinking it might one day be relevant.

Perhaps he wishes now that he had been a little more circomspect in his public comments.

The moral of the sad sad tale is perhaps we should all be a little more reserved about our opinions of others in public. We may never know when we need to pass through the neighborhood of his friends...

Last edited:
heyang said:
I didn't even know he had converted to Islam. Apparently he's on the list because he does a lot of fundraising for Islamist groups - some my have been fronts for terrorist funding.

Why was he coming back to the US? He denounced the US, etc. Why would he come back to a country that he wanted no part of? Was there any explanation of why he was trying to enter the US?

Maybe we should outlaw fundraising. Christians and Jews do it too.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Piel said:
...and Moon Shadow :love:

Yes, I named one of my cats "Moon Shadow!"

Cat Stevens is such a gentle soul. I think one big mistake has been made.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
heyang said:

He was with his daughter. She was allowed entry to the US.

I guess ones' choice of name these days is a dangerous thing.....should have stuck with Cat Stevens.

tvcats

Rinkside
I don't think it was that he had been raising funds, per se. It was the groups he had been raising funds for (ie: militant groups linked to terrorist activities). I don't know this for a fact, but that was the reports that I read.

IDLERACER

Medalist
The man who wrote Peace Train was also the man who wrote I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun. It doesn't matter, because Cat Stevens ceased to exist in 1979, and Yusuf Islam has been occupying his body ever since.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Cat Stevens, now know as Y Islam, was on Larry King tonight defending himself. He certainly does have a point -- if his religion calls for living a good life (prayer, etc.) and doing good works (charity, etc.) then he is doing the best he can to be a good Muslim. Did he give to charities that were fronts for terrorist groups? Who knows. He claims he doesn't.

I still find it interesting that one week he's meeting with top US leaders and the next he's an undesirable who should be kept out of the US. Would that we were so efficient in keeping real threats to our security out!