Men's SP | Golden Skate

Men's SP

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
http://www.isufs.org/results/gprus04/SEG001.HTM

Am I the last one here at GS to look at this, and see that Johnny skates right after Plush??? (1-2 in the first warm up group...)

OK. Plush will rock the house on home turf. What's your prediction (or am I the only one not SHOPPING today LOL!)?

Will this motivate Johnny? Or will this have a negative influence?

I somehow think this skate order alone will be a good test for him. I hope he prevails in terms of keeping it together, regardless of placements.

Fingers and toes crossed...

DG

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Looks that way to me too...

reenb said:
Looks like both Plushy and Johnny had falls

Question for the numbers folks. Has anyone (in Men's) gotten 8+ scores in PCS, SP or FS so far this year? Plush had 2. I thought that was noteable. Can't wait to see it (well, here in the US we will be "wuzrobbed" of the SP's).

DG

Hikaru

Final Flight
http://www.isufs.org/results/gprus04/SEG001.HTM

well so far Plushy has the lead, secon is Johnny, but the difference in points is not much, AND both of them had a deduction, could it be a fall??. Plushy's marks for PC are a bit higher than Johnny's and so the TE. But at Trophee EB, Johny scored a bit higher than Plushy here, which tells me that so far they are head-to-head, when we look at it in the long way. I do feel that if Johnny wants to challenge him in worlds, he is going to have to put a quad, or a triple triple double, or skate his heart out to overcome the gap. What is more exciting is how close they are, so it's like "may the best skater win".. ok I'm rambling too much, I sooo want to see their performances.

Third is Tarasova's new kid on the rink, Andrei Griazev.

Kasey

Medalist
So far, it's:

Plush
Weir
Lysacek
Griazev
Van Der Perren

Only about .10 separates Lysacek and Griazev....Evan landed a clean combo, Andrei had a step out....CLOSE competition for third!

Kasey

Kasey

Medalist
Sawyer into third place, about 2 points ahead of Lysacek and Griazev (~63 and change to their 61s)

Kasey

Hikaru said:
Plushy's marks for PC are a bit higher than Johnny's and so the TE. But at Trophee EB, Johny scored a bit higher than Plushy here, which tells me that so far they are head-to-head, when we look at it in the long way. I do feel that if Johnny wants to challenge him in worlds, he is going to have to put a quad, or a triple triple double, or skate his heart out to overcome the gap.
The quad's the thing, IMO. I can see the reasoning of a judge who might say, well, Plushenko deserves a higher component score for choreography because he worked in a quad, and Plushenko deserves a higher component score for transitions because he did footwork into a quad, etc.

Mathman

Not surprised at the top two but I am a bit surprised about the deductions.

Will we see an attempted quad by u-no-hoo in the LP? đź‘Ť

Where or where did Sawyer come from? I know he is one of Canada's up and coming but I didn't expect this. Can he keep it going in the LP?

I presume Evan is now injury free?, and he won over his nemesis, Andrei.

Min hanging in there, and poor Kevin just about out of the money.

We won't see any of this on TV, so let's look for everyone at their best for the LP.

Joe

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Joesitz said:
Not surprised at the top two but I am a bit surprised about the deductions.

Will we see an attempted quad by u-no-hoo in the LP? đź‘Ť

Where or where did Sawyer come from? I know he is one of Canada's up and coming but I didn't expect this. Can he keep it going in the LP?

I presume Evan is now injury free?, and he won over his nemesis, Andrei.

Min hanging in there, and poor Kevin just about out of the money.

We won't see any of this on TV, so let's look for everyone at their best for the LP.

Joe

Well about Shawn Sawyer, I have not seen him last year at the Nationals, when he finished 9th, but 2 years ago he was sixth, I will check my tape, because I cannot remember (usually we are shown the last group of 6).

Anyway, I saw him last Saturday, on CBC, when they featured NHK from tape and he finished 9th there. My jaw basically dropped, this guys is far from the World elite, but I have not seen such a flexibility in Men's ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He got a couple of moves which were meant to emphasize this particular skill (spiral.....his leg is as high as Sasha C's, a catch foot spin....over his head again like Sasha's and a camel spin). These are to be seen, I am not kidding....
Beside these, he got very nice composition marks for a such unknown skater, due to a multidude of factors like his choreo (David Wilson, which says a lot these days), musicality (his idol is Toller Cranston).
The criticism he got from Paul Martini, is he doesn't get into the ice enough, but I hope that can be worked on, because he got a lot of potential. Jumps are more or less all the triples there, minus 3axel (he fell on it in Nagoya).

If he stays up there, it'll depend on the field, how many mistakes will they do, but if is a splatfest, he will have the edge on the second mark, for sure.

Herios

Gr8Sk8s

Rinkside
Joesitz said:

Joe

I don't know for Shawn... he's not very consistant, as we have seen in the past ! And his triple axel is cheated most of the time, so it counts for a double. (Like he did at NHK)

Anyways, best of luck to him for the FS :rock:

Gr8Sk8s

Rinkside
Thanks ! I Really like this site ! :) I'm from Quebec (Canada) so sorry for my bad english... ;)