Your Thoughts On Jennifer Wilbanks? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your Thoughts On Jennifer Wilbanks?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Aloft04 said:
Personally I think the indicators of irrationality begin with wanting to spend (or more likely have your parents spend) tens of thousands of dollars, invite over 600 people, have 14 bridesmaids to a four or five hour event.... To me, that just screams "I'm a self-centered princess who loves the spotlight."

Flame away....but my question remains -- who in their right mind would want that type of wedding anyway!?

Actually, I've heard it said that many women don't necessarily have the wedding THEY want to have, they have the wedding that their MOTHERS want them to have. This can be how some of these events get completely out of control. I know many years ago when I was working in the hotel banquet business and we had to set up weddings and receptions, 90% of the time the bride was completely mellow and easy to work with, whereas the mothers of the brides were a force to be reckoned with -- which would actually be a diplomatic way of saying they were actually something else that I can't actually post on this board.... :biggrin:

Aloft04

On the Ice
I'll bet you've seen it all in the banquet biz, JonnyCoop!!

You're right, there could easily be some mother-daughter dynamics that may have contributed to this debacle.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Aloft04 said:
I'll bet you've seen it all in the banquet biz, JonnyCoop!!

You're right, there could easily be some mother-daughter dynamics that may have contributed to this debacle.

Or daughter-MOTHER-IN-LAW dynamics... I understand she was marrying into a powerful family (groom's father was a former mayor and judge).

Lynn226

On the Ice
I hold this woman completely responsible for any crimes she may have committed.

However, it takes two to tango. Is this entire family so dysfunctional that she felt that her fears and anxiety concerning the wedding would fall upon deaf ears? Would you truly want to marry someone to whom you could not confide your most intimate feelings? I just feel that it is so sad that she had noone who she felt was trustworthy enough to speak to about the issues she was having over this wedding.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Fourteen Bridesmaids and Fourteen Groomsmen! Plus six hundred guests. No wonder the girl got cold feet!!!! She should have told her fiance about her jitters and they could have eloped. I hope if they go through with the marriage, they downsize somewhat!!!!

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mason said he has given the 32-year-old Wilbanks her ring back -- she'd left it at the house -- and said they still planned to marry.
Huh? When did they discover this??

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Why didn't she just say she wasn't ready to get married!!!???? Why would anyone want to put their family through what she did? She must have other issues.

dlk.........most of the time I would agree. My younger sister wanted to back out of her wedding hours before it took place, but because she felt should would disappointed family and friends, and because so much money had already been spent, she went through with it and endured 16 years of an unhappy and abusive marriage before she got a divorce. We had no idea she wanted out or that she had been abused until after the fact.......42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
show 42 said:
dlk.........most of the time I would agree. My younger sister wanted to back out of her wedding hours before it took place, but because she felt should would disappointed family and friends, and because so much money had already been spent, she went through with it and endured 16 years of an unhappy and abusive marriage before she got a divorce. We had no idea she wanted out or that she had been abused until after the fact.......42

Cold feet are normal feelings before a wedding, big or small, but if one has such large doubts then it is better to call the whole thing off. That is too bad about your sister. Many people put themselves through this.

I would suggest this couple get some counselling before proceeding with a wedding.

Aloft04

On the Ice
As my uncle was preparing to walk my cousin down the aisle years ago, he said to her, " We can proceed down that aisle, or we can take a left turn and just go out for a nice dinner..." She opted for the latter!! :yes: :yes: The wedding planning had taken on a life of its own and most of those who knew the couple felt it was a poor and maybe even dangerous match. (He was a control freak and dominated her.)

I remember my uncle strolling to the front of the congregation and saying " I have good news and I have bad news"..."The good news is that we're all going to have one heckuva party with cake and champagne! The bad news is that there will not be a wedding today."

A couple of weeks of shock and gossip - then it was mostly forgotten and certainly forgiven. Those who didn't opt to get their gift backs agreed they should be donated to a local woman's shelter that my uncle's family supported.

My cousin has been married now for over 20 years to Mr. Right, who came along later, and they have a lovely family.