Alysa Liu announces Comeback | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu announces Comeback

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
“It was good for me to take time off from skating, and I am beyond excited to begin skating again with my newly found perspective,” Liu said.

I am happy if Alysa is happy and has found joy in skating. I would like to know how the "gap year" helped shape her perspective, what she is expecting from skating now, and how her approach to skating will differ (I presume) from when she was younger.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm very glad she's back. I think the ladies in the US need a kickstart. I, too, wonder how her gap year has put things into perspective for her. I seriously always wondered if there was more to the story than what she and her father were saying.....like were there safety issues involved. In any case, I wish her well and can hardly wait to see her skate again. I wonder if she'll get a Grand Prix assignment.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
the “Comeback” rule (= skaters, who have previously been seeded #1-6 in a World Championship are guaranteed TWO GP spots, even if they skipped one or more seasons, if it is their first “comeback” and they commit to the ISU to participate in two Grand Prix events)

Sabsi

On the Ice
I hope Alysa quickly gets back to her pre-retirement form. But her Instagram Stories already show that she is in good shape and is already jumping her triples again.

I'm also wondering, who will be Alysa's coaching team? Any guesses?

icewhite

Record Breaker
I hope she can be herself. I loved the way she skated, the power and enthusiasm and even her programs, but when I then saw her outside of skating I felt this is not the same person. Do you have to present just yourself on the ice? Of course not. Of course you can play roles if that's what you like. Or maybe she didn't play a role, maybe it was just a different side of her. Still it seemed that was not her but someone she was because figure skating expected her to be this person.
So, my wish now for her is to be able to feel right on the ice, like she's not pressed in a frame.
(I don't even know if I should say she or they. I'm so used to her being this girl, but did she not prefer they?)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ah ha! I knew it! The minute I saw that there would be an announcement today, that was my guess. :clap: No disrespect meant to our other U.S. ladies, but I think we need to add a little more excitement and competitiveness. She may be just the ticket. Very happy for her!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
As a returning skater of her caliber, I believe she is given an assignment. I don't remember the rules by heart but Chan, Virtue/Moir got assignments when they returned.
I am not sure you can compare Canada with the USA and Chan and Virtue and Moir certainly had a lot more body of work. But this makes things more interesting. We will never know all her reasons or rationale but this is a good time with Isabeau not looking so great and no lady really taking control on the American scene. Also coming back with no Russia and two years to restablish herself- things look good for her.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not sure you can compare Canada with the USA and Chan and Virtue and Moir certainly had a lot more body of work. But this makes things more interesting. We will never know all her reasons or rationale but this is a good time with Isabeau not looking so great and no lady really taking control on the American scene. Also coming back with no Russia and two years to restablish herself- things look good for her.

The rules are the rules for comeback skaters.

Alysa was third at Worlds and gets two GP spots. What does that have to do with body of work? (ETA: other than that her finish, like Tessa and Scott and Patrick, qualifies her for the GP?)

Last edited: