2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Ladies Short Program 12/11

peg

Medalist
????? There is a special letter "х" in Russian which sounds like "h" in Hongo in all the cases.
Is that how the "H" is pronounced in Japan?

To me the Russian "x", which in English is generally transcribed as "kh" is a completely different sound than "h". Many words that start with h in at least some other Slavic languages start instead with a hard "g" in Russian. And the 'kh' sound is considered a different sound just as s and "sh" are different sounds.

It is possible that I didn't have the right pronunciation of Hongbo's last name, but there is still no direct equivalent of "h" letter or sound in Russian.

Orange Cat

On the Ice
Ladies look great! I hope the podium will consist of Liza, Elena and Rika!!! :cheer:

That's my dream podium, too!! I reckon Rika was lowballed a bit for her SP (personally felt Pogo was very overmarked because her fall totally disrupted her program) - hopefully she blows it out of the park in her FS and hops up to a medal!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Watching Ana's SP again particularly on her planned 3Lz 3T, how amazing! her speed is, almost exactly the same speed like Yuna! I love her to the moon!

I think Anna has the best potential out of all Russians wonder babies, due to greater threshold for growth than Julia and Liza. She has some sophistication (even though bit rough at the moment) more than the others already their age. Performance wise, there are also parts where she tries to be in the moment rather than throw away her moves like Julia usually does (Hurry hurry fast fast fast in her little world with minimal acknowledgement to the audience or expressions to the music moments)

Anna's long limbs is a powerful tool, nice upper body carriage and expressive arms can be really effective once she refine them and polish each choreograph movement to the max. Power and Speed always has a wow factor, as well as her striking presentation. She need better material though. She appears to be still finding her style which is natural at her age. Liza I have always really liked because of her strong techniques and big jumps, but her artistry is under developed consider her potential (She does feel the music, but she need to develop her range and be more experimental). I still think 67 is too high for that 3T3T program, I am really annoyed her 3T/3T is only 1 points difference to 3lz3t of the other 2. What does seniority, difficulty, the nature elite mean in this sport in a technical program for 'senior' ladies.

Given how others have always been marked in the past, I'd have her around <64 as well as everyone else a bit lower apart from Ashley. I find it surprising Julia's 3lz3t is worth the same as Elena's 3lz3t and that angle makes it really difficult to tell if she flutzed...as she tends to do in the past. Weird why did they cut away for a long and far camera shot at that point, they did the same with Elena's 3lz3t at SA!

The top 3 ladies PCS are close.... everyone over 31+? Just looking at the protocals at previous worlds championships from the 'real' senior ladies, I'd say it is just too high! Who to win tomorrow? Don't count Elena out I don't think, she showed she is human after all today, still a little DIVA though, love her!

---------------

On a separate issue... Where do we sign a petition to ban Bolero, Carmen, POTO from figure skating for at least 5 years?! Seriously... this is creatively dead, deserve -3 GOE worth, -5 PCS.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Mao really did have a superb flutz.

Heh that is why I wasn't sure whether to agree or disagree...but really... her best jump? Rather insulting?

May be Chairmanmao can petition ISU to allow it as 7th triple, and call it Maotz or some thing. So all skaters have to do 3lutz as well as Maotz (3flutz) and make sure they are the wrong (except right) edge accordingly! (Yiipppee fun with the technical controller) I am sure this can totally bring Mao back again to the PyeongChang 2014... imagine 6.5 type of triples in her Rach 2 (Let's face it, it is the best FS of her career... and she is someone who repeat her best programs). Another Guinness book of record for sure, half a triple better than Midori!

I wonder if Korea will cheer her on over the Russia wonder babies, who knows... Sochi may bring some peace after all in the most unlikely of places :biggrin:.

minze

Medalist
^^^^^
Did Mao compete here? What did she score? Did she include a lutz in her short? Did the all powerful JSF only pay for Mao rules, did they not have enough money for Rika? :biggrin:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
^^^^^
Did Mao compete here? What did she score? Did she include a lutz in her short? Did the all powerful JSF only pay for Mao rules, did they not have enough money for Rika? :biggrin:

How is anything we saw deserving better than Mao and Carolina's PCS at WC2010, 11, 12 etc.. Surprised no one else feel the same.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I'm no expert but for what it's worth I think Julia was robbed. I thought her jumps looked fine, her spins looked amazing, her speed was great. I'm just hope her lower than expected score doesn't cause her to doubt her improvements and blotch her LP.

Alba

Record Breaker
Heh that is why I wasn't sure whether to agree or disagree...but really... her best jump? Rather insulting?

May be Chairmanmao can petition ISU to allow it as 7th triple, and call it Maotz or some thing. So all skaters have to do 3lutz as well as Maotz (3flutz) and make sure they are the wrong (except right) edge accordingly! (Yiipppee fun with the technical controller) I am sure this can totally bring Mao back again to the PyeongChang 2014... imagine 6.5 type of triples in her Rach 2 (Let's face it, it is the best FS of her career... and she is someone who repeat her best programs). Another Guinness book of record for sure, half a triple better than Midori!

I wonder if Korea will cheer her on over the Russia wonder babies, who knows... Sochi may bring some peace after all in the most unlikely of places :biggrin:.

Why you don't just leave her alone? I mean the girl has taken a year off. Enough already.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hail to my Queen Liza! Yet another superb performance. Hope she can bring it for the LP and complete a superb victory.

minze

Medalist

Why the rant against Mao?:hopelessness:

travelbug

Rinkside
Yep, the only clean skate ends up in 5th place.

If only we could know if she'd have scored differently had she skated later, even just a spot or two later might really have made a difference (esp w/ how things played out)

Barb

Record Breaker
^^^^^

No, Mao did not compete here, but obviously they miss her, not even os168 miss the opportunity to speak about her.

Alba

Record Breaker
when everything is fair, then no need to rant against anyone,
as long as unfair stuff is there, people will rant, you better be prepared and I trust you will ;)

So ranting against Mao, in this case, makes the world a better place?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Pfftttt... wait a minute... note to 'leave my brittany/mao alone' brigade. Just which part of my post do you disagree with?

1. That it is an insult say Mao's flutz is her best jump.
2. The Russian wonder babies don't deserve higher PCS than her and Carolina circa 2010/2011/2012 (4+ years veterans already with established works/performances to justify them) when they are very much early in their career and have not displayed the maturity and polish to warrant the marks, nor the quality of programs.
3. Her inclusion in the Guinness book of record accolades and extend her legendary status.
4. Continuing the tradition of getting rule changed for the betterment of her apparent 'superiority'. If her bots can do it, why can't someone else?

Fine I will take all the above back. Her flutz IS indeed her best jump. She deserve poorer PCS than all the Russian babies like these overscoring indicate, and her Guinness book of record means absolutely nothing except a consolation prize.

Like it or not, she is one of the great ladies last quads which should referenced in terms of scoring, over scoring and rule changes. Should I start to treat her like 'one that should not be named' (Lord Voldemort) just to make some people happier and keep the peace? How about have some more confidence in your skater and be less PC?

BTW i do blame ISU entirely for playing with play favourites with rule changes due to federation pressures. They are responsible for many reasons why we are in this mess right now... 2 steps forward 3 steps back. Falls matter less, UR matters less, risk for high difficulty combos like 3lz3t is worthless or not worth the risk unless you have 3A. (So of course they had to reintroduce greater punishment for unclear edge rule back now Yuna has left... one with 90%+ consistency with difficult 3/3s). Difficulty should not measured by technical content base value alone but the quality and how all your components can work together seamlessly, holistically with emotional and intellectual reasoning to create a credible artistic and musical impression. Skating for points to win, not to fulfil the goal of a great program that people want to revisit again and again to sell the sport to the non fans. Talk about being short sighted. Elegant Poetries should able to triumph over wordy essays in the right literary mind. An expensive film with a ton of special effects, no storyline, bad acting is just a bad film. It is soulless. Artistry and quality worth less since intangibles can be deemed too 'subjective', and 'biases' are accepted and unchallenged. All are total bollocks to anyone with true artistic learning and knowledge of choreography/music/program construct, who are familiarity of the history of the standard behind these particular benchmarking. It should not be a numbers game, but the fact they made it so, they should be more responsible for these numbers.

Last edited: