2014 Olympics Mens Short Program | Page 56 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Short Program

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
OMG guys, I'm so happy for Peter Liebers! He'll be in the final flight tomorrow. NOONE expected this. He's such a likeable, humble guy, a hard worker, who isn't as expressive or as artistic as the best, his spins could use some more speed and stretch, he did rightfully get lower PCS - even if, of course, I think they shouldn't have gone that low with them!
Anyway, I have to admit, that was my personal highlight so far. Not that he was better than the best, but I was touched the most by him over-overachieving in this.
Awesome.

Obviously, Yuzuru was from-another-world, but what else is new? :laugh: Not only beating his own WR, being the 1st to get more than 100pts, but exceeding that mark by so much! wow.
Patrick Chan was great except for the Axel - he'll need a clean performance and hope for at least 1.5 major mistakes from Hanyu for Gold...
Fernandez and Daisuke, I really like them a lot, but I'd have had them behind Peter Liebers. Yup, sorry, but yup. 2 mistakes for Fernandez and a 4T<< worth 2 points for Takahashi should have been too much.
Anyway...

I'm also really happy for Brian Joubert! FINALLY Olympic Games where he's on! :agree: I'm a bit sorry that 7th is just short of the final flight in the FS, but since he lost that spot to Jason Brown, I'm ok since I'm so happy for Jason - expect major standing ovations for Riverdance tomorrow!!! :yay:

Speaking of standing ovations: Isn't it awesome how positive the whole arena felt when there was no reason for the audience not to root for everyone?

I'm really sorry for Plushenko, but his WD meant that these will be OGs with a positive vibe for all the other men. I'm sure he tried as hard as he can to skate, so I won't mention him costing another Russian skater a chance to compete at their home Olympics.

Jeremy Abbott: I'm really impressed by what he did. I was shocked by how hard he fell on the 4T, and seeing how long he laid on the ice, I was sure he'd WD - I'm so happy for him getting back up and completing the rest of his program. The placement doesn't really matter anymore, he has had this very special moment that will be remembered, reminded me of Kerri Strug - the US gymnast who landed a vault jump on one foot in the team event despite being really injured on the other foot to ensure the US team Olympic Gold Medal.

Shout out to Jorik Hendrickx and Misha Ge for having that Olympic performance, and happy for Martinez, Romanenkov and Kelemen to have made it to the FS :)
Sorry for those who didn't. I sincerely hope someone in the Italian Federation will get fired for having made the final call not to send Righini(Bariev) and instead Parkinson, who skated as usual.

I can't end this "resumee" without addressing the most shocking thing of the day: Florent Amodio's makeup. :eek: What happened there? Who did this? And why, God, why? My guess as to why he only did a 3S and a 2A was because he walked by a mirror at some point before skating and just couldn't concentrate at all after seeing how he looked like. Just unreal.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What I loved was hearing how wonderful the scoring system is for two hours straight only to have him completely shred it to pieces the moment it put Takahashi in front of Liebers. That's objectivity for you.

You're preaching to the choir here. I'm getting so sick of his "the new system, which isn't so new" talk by now. And then "the audience didn't like it." When the only audience left for Takahashi basically consisted of hardcore japanese fans. :disagree:

Even though it has been discussed before, let's just compare this to Vancouver audience wise. Half the arena empty by the time the last group went to skate. There didn't seem to be any atmosphere left at all. Very sad for the skaters, I think they also felt a bit let down.

Just imagine how the 3 skaters from Japan (Mura, the 4CC champ, Kozuka and Oda) who were left at home could've done here. Left at home when you could skate for the gold! Horrible.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't end this "resumee" without addressing the most shocking thing of the day: Florent Amodio's makeup. :eek: What happened there? Who did this? And why, God, why? My guess as to why he only did a 3S and a 2A was because he walked by a mirror at some point before skating and just couldn't concentrate at all after seeing how he looked like. Just unreal.

Oh, I completely agree. He looked like a hideous clown, but to see his high marks, he clearly didn't get a deduction for his appearance. :scowl:

ranjake

Final Flight
After Peter Liebers finished his strong skate to an instrumental version of Clocks by Coldplay, Johnny made a statement that he skated clean, but his performance is not memorable. To which Tara, a Coldplay fan, replied, "Clocks by Coldplay is not memorable?" Johnny then said, "I did not say that Clocks by Coldplay is not memorable." Terry then said, "You know what that performance was? Memorable." Later, after Peter's scores were given in the kiss and cry, Terry said, "It's memorable." Terry then egged Tara on to agree with him to say, "It's memorable, right Johnny?" Johnny just remained silent.

I also have to say that I've never seen any public figure have less personality than Evan Lysacek. He gave his impressions at the end of the broadcast saying it was the strangest night of men's figure skating that he has ever seen. His irritating voice reminds me so much of Ben Stein. :frown:
I thought Evan did well; much better than usual. I enjoyed him a lot more than I did Johnny today(and Tara).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
TES ranking
1. Hanyu 54.84
2. Chan 50.34
3. Liebers 47.26
4. Majorov 45.52
5. Brown 45.39
6. Joubert 45.11
7. Yan 44.94
8. Fernandez 43.87