2014 Olympics Short Dance | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Short Dance

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Saw the skates again... I think if we look particularly at the Midline step sequence it's just so obvious how much deeper V/M's edges are. D/W's sequence is quite intricate and fits well with the music but they don't have the deep edges V/M and this should have been reflected in the SS.

bixby

Final Flight
Shibs - great
CB - great
CL - great, original dance
BS - hate their dances and costumes this year
VM - out of the world... I can't understand their placement below DW. They're the one... It's art on ice and TES are ok as far as I'm concerned. A couple like that is born once in a lifetime. Throughout this OLY season they looked different, showed new elements, new characters. I was with them the whole program, I felt involved. It's amazing how they grip your attention.
IK - seemed cautious, but outstanding. They're the future of Ice Dance if they stop messing up.
PB - very solid, but I honestly preferred their Krylova's programs. They looked original
WP - a great idea about the step, but seemed sloppy. Looked worse that the rest of the two warm-ups
DW - fast, technical...but they just never give goosebumps... You never say WOW after their skating...

My placement are:
1) VM
2) DW (2,5 points below)
3) IK
4) PB
5) CL

I'm glad you're just an V/M bias fan and not a judge...

chloepoco

Medalist
In a different direction, I really liked the Shibutani's short dance today. People say that brother-sister teams are at a disadvantage because they cannot play-act like they are in love. True, but the Shibs really do have a friendship that they don't have to fake. :rock:

I thought they were really, really good today! I think Maia's beautiful new dress added that extra touch--really loved them!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In a different direction, I really liked the Shibutani's short dance today. People say that brother-sister teams are at a disadvantage because they cannot play-act like they are in love. True, but the Shibs really do have a friendship that they don't have to fake. :rock:

I wouldn't put too much weight into what Tara and Johnny said today about ice dance... 85-90% of what they said was brainless today. :disapp:

I wouldn't put too much weight into what Tara and Johnny said today about ice dance... 85-90% of what they said was brainless today. :disapp:

It wasn't Johnny and Tara's best work. They did not seem to know much about ice dance -- or if they did, they didn't share it with us. But they didn't talk through the performances too much, so that was good.

Am I a minority of one by for Chock and Bates better than Cappelini and Lannotte today? (+3 for Anna's blue skirt, though.)

Agreed!!! Their performance was really good!!! :agree: ...But there is a part of me that wonders, if they weren't siblings - would they have gotten a more inflated score like others did? And then I think, if they were Russian, siblings or not, they'd totally benefit from some home court advantage, haha. :points:

BTW, I'm just joking....I do expect whichever country is hosting to get a certain amount of benefit...It always happens.

L_Canada

Rinkside
So much V/M and D/W bashing! No matter who you prefer, they are both World Champions, after tomorrow, likely both Olympic champions and I am for one happy that North American has risen above in the past 6 years to overtake the Russian hold on ice dance. I think the two teams have taken the sport so far, I never used to be a fan of dance in the 90s, I preferred the other events. Now I am a huge fan!!

I am Canadian so obviously cheer for V/M here at the Olympics, however I think D/W are amazing and there have been years I preferred their FD/SD. I hope that the result tomorrow is just fair and whoever has the best FD wins!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It wasn't Johnny and Tara's best work. They did not seem to know much about ice dance -- or if they did, they didn't share it with us. But they didn't talk through the performances too much, so that was good.

Am I a minority of one by for Chock and Bates better than Cappelini and Lannotte today? (+3 for Anna's blue skirt, though.)

I really liked C/B, but then I'm a recent convert to fandom of their realm since their USNats LP.

Given a 6.0 placement wherein I could just place them where I thought they should be, I'd have put them 4th or 5th. I also thought W/P should have had higher placement, and I would have let the Turks make the free skate just so I could bask in the glow of her incomparable beauty one more time.

The only team I thought should have placed well below where they are now are B/S. That wasn't in the same league as C/B.

chloepoco

Medalist

I may be a minority of one as well, as I thought Maia and Alex were better than Chock and Bates.

SGrand

Final Flight
So much V/M and D/W bashing! No matter who you prefer, they are both World Champions, after tomorrow, likely both Olympic champions and I am for one happy that North American has risen above in the past 6 years to overtake the Russian hold on ice dance. I think the two teams have taken the sport so far, I never used to be a fan of dance in the 90s, I preferred the other events. Now I am a huge fan!!

I am Canadian so obviously cheer for V/M here at the Olympics, however I think D/W are amazing and there have been years I preferred their FD/SD. I hope that the result tomorrow is just fair and whoever has the best FD wins!

:thumbsup:

CocoChanel

Rinkside
Forgive me if this wasn't addressed earlier but Rahkamo and Kokko apparently think that V/M got unfairly downgraded on their finnstep and should've received higher marks ahead of D/W. Since R/K are the ones who invented the move, I assume they'd know best about which pairing did the move better. So is this the kind of thing that the French press was talking about when they said that marks were going to be 'fixed'?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

ummmmmm aside from when Voir and Marlie skated, yeah they did.

Welcome, CocoChanel. Thanks for joining us.

About the fix, the deal was that Russia would get gold in team and pairs, and in exchange USA would get gold in dance. Now, however, the Russians have their two in hand, so they are free to double-cross their erstwhile partners. When I&K win tomorrow, you will see that I am right. ;)

:bow::clap: Spot on!!! Let's face it, D/W and V/M fans should have more respect for both pairs and one another. These couples have really changed and pushed the boundaries of what all ice dance is as a competition now; and they've made it more fun to watch!

About the fix, the deal was that Russia would get gold in team and pairs, and in exchange USA would get gold in dance. Now, however, the Russians have their two in hand, so they are free to double-cross their erstwhile partners. When I&K win tomorrow, you will see that I am right. ;)

Mathman, some of your comments just make me giggle like none other! I love it, haha!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That would be something.