2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Team Event Ladies Short Program

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To be fair, it was a flutz. Check the gif in the thread about it. But that being said Julia delivered a strong performance and Scott should have kept it classy.

I've been at the rink most the day and only saw it live and on prime time(small TV that time) but both times it looked clean on the replays I saw. I know she is a flutzer (spell check hates this word) so I'm not surprised if she flutzed just a little. It seems like she is getting closer to fixing it because it looked good in slow replay on TV and even Scott called it good after replay. Whatever. I still think she performed her heart out and I was very proud of her:love:

Ven

Match Penalty
It was definitely a flutz. And the riggage is definitely on, too. Should have been:

1. Carolina
2. Julia
3. Mao

Night and day watching Carolina vs. Julia. Carolina's jumps, while not harder, were smoother and better executed. Her skating and interpretation are light years better than Julia, which you would expect given their maturity levels.

Julia absolutely deserved to beat Asada because of the 3A fall.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am amazed of the hate Julia gathers with her skating, unbelievable! I consider her stunning. I like her programs and the way she skates them. She got high marks, but that happens when you are Russian compete in Russia. It always happens in skating, gymnastics, and not only in Russia. Julia deserves to lead, not with those marks, though Carolina was amazing. I also consider Kaetlin Osmond was heavily underscored. I guess Canadians payed a price for being the only team strong enough the challenge the Russians. I doubt they really needed this. maybe they don't trust Plushenko enough, and they need a buffer. I also think the Russian pair was over scored...Oh, I remember the 1980 summer Olympics and the biased scores in gymnastics. The world hasn't changed too much.

Ven

Match Penalty
Shame you deleted your post, Sam. Kind of a hypocrite since you post "I love Julia" in every thread, right?

I must admit, yours and Ziggy's appreciation of the little girl has no equal. Looks like Ziggy is a big Edmunds fan too. Seems like a pattern.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shame you deleted your post, Sam. Kind of a hypocrite since you post "I love Julia" in every thread, right?

I must admit, yours and Ziggy's appreciation of the little girl has no equal. Looks like Ziggy is a big Edmunds fan too. Seems like a pattern.
I have no idea what your talking about in terms of a pattern??? I just wish you could be a little more fair. You seem to stalk people and bash or should I say attack attack attack like some tornado. I try to show respect to skaters and their fans but I am yet to see anything fair or balanced from you. The same thing over and over and over in nothing but negative light. Yes I love Julia's skating. But I think Caro Mao Yuna and so on and so on are amazing to. I hope you have fun hating some of the best skating the world has to offer. I finally figured out your custom title. Shame it has to be the honest truth:disapp:.

What are you talking about?

I am not a 'fan' of any skater or anybody else for that matter. I find imagining a relationship that doesn't exist to be rather sad, to be frank. And the fact that it then switches off your critical thinking is ever sadder. Whatever floats people's boats though. *shrug*

(My custom title is a response to the unfair criticism that Edmunds has received, in the wake of US Nationals, by all the people who thought they were so clever perpetuating the 'I haven't heard of her yet, so it means she's bad' meme.)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with Ven about one thing. My post did get deleted and that is the third time I went to add a period or make a "to" a "too" and GS froze me out and deleted a very well thought out amazingly scripted post;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What are you talking about?

I am not a 'fan' of any skater or anybody else for that matter. I find imagining a relationship that doesn't exist to be rather sad, to be frank. And the fact that it then switches off your critical thinking is ever sadder. Whatever floats people's boats though. *shrug*

(My custom title is a response to the unfair criticism that Edmunds has received, in the wake of US Nationals, by all the people who thought they were so clever perpetuating the 'I haven't heard of her yet, so it means she's bad' meme.)

What about Jason Brown? ;) Or is your love based on objective means?

I kid. You're just a fan of good skating. :)

Zamboni

On the Ice
I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but some of Julia's skating "mannerisms" and her spinning style remind me so much of Sasha (the way she catches her foot in her final spin, for example). Oh, she doesn't have the maturity or musicality of Sasha yet, but it will be there. She's so young. And maybe she won't be the "long program" headcase that Sasha was. :no: I really wish that Sasha had won Worlds at least once.

However, I have to admit that I liked Carolina's program better. I've never been particularly enamored of her skating, but that program was gorgeous. :love:

What about Jason Brown? ;) Or is your love based on objective means?

Well, I guess my understanding of the word 'fan' is that of a 'crazed, obsessive person who will kiss their idol's feet and see a conspiracy theory whenever they fail to win gold.' I guess some people just like certain skaters and that's ok. ;)

I've loved Jason Brown's skating for two years now but believe me, if he turned up to the Men FS with an empty, boring program, I would be the first person to totally slag him off for that. ;)

(Let's hope that Jason Brown will avoid Nathan Chen's fate. Chen went from being 'the transitions king' to being 'the king of generic bland snoozefest choreography.' :p I still love his energy but his skating just makes me sad now. :slink:)

DaveT

On the Ice
I'd really like to see her live someday...I feel like she's one of those types who is a lot more impressive in person.
I sure hope so. I want to see the special I'm hearing about beyond technical prowess and contortionism.

She's absolutely doing a lot of amazing things but from my tv it's so workmanlike. It's small and emotionless. Besides her tricks it was one of the least inspiring performances to me. Sometimes overdoing all that bendy stuff just gets weird to me too. I was thinking she needed someone to start an online collection so she could hire a choreographer. All of that talent and those 2 awful programs. Her PCS do appear out of touch with the reality of her skate but I'm not debating any shadiness. She won that short program deservedly and one can argue all kinds of ways the system should have created a different result and if it did then the problem is the system. I just couldn't defend the others were so much better at everything else that it would make up the technical difference. Think opposite Chan.

I just couldn't defend the others were so much better at everything else that it would make up the technical difference. Think opposite Chan.

I think that Kostner should have a huge advantage over Lipnitskaia on the SS. But when I think about the other PCS, as enjoyable as Kostner's program was, it was a little sparse. So I don't know.

And whilst Kostner skated well, her spins aren't very good. Lipnitskaia's spins are exceptional.

So as much as I would have personally wanted to see Kostner first and Lipnitskaia's second, I think that you can definitely justify the result that we got.

(On a totally different note, I think Osmond was robbed because of skating early and being 'out of the judges' radar' and arguably deserved to be as high as 3rd.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, I guess my understanding of the word 'fan' is that of a 'crazed, obsessive person who will kiss their idol's feet and see a conspiracy theory whenever they fail to win gold.' I guess some people just like certain skaters and that's ok. ;)

I've loved Jason Brown's skating for two years now but believe me, if he turned up to the Men FS with an empty, boring program, I would be the first person to totally slag him off for that. ;)

(Let's hope that Jason Brown will avoid Nathan Chen's fate. Chen went from being 'the transitions king' to being 'the king of generic bland snoozefest choreography.' :p I still love his energy but his skating just makes me sad now. :slink:)

Boy, then I'm a terrible fan then. :p

I don't see Jason ever getting generic choreography.

Ooohhh the SP is on my tape-delayed television coverage now. :)

flyushka

Rinkside
I'm confused by people criticizing Julia's 2A :think: Someone even called it a "hot mess"? I see a jump that had next to no preparation, clean rotation, smooth landing with good speed coming out. Where's the "mess"? I didn't realize height was the be all and end all of jump quality.

Personally I don't much like her 2A (love Julia though). She really has her left side all blocked up on the take-off and it's scary to watch for that reason, sort of like Lipinski's back in the day. Both of them managed to land it with nice flow though, so it's not like it's all bad. The bad takeoff should be reflected in the GOE though. She could work on stepping up properly into it, which would give her a lot more lift, but it's really hard to correct axel technique, so it is what it is. I just hope it doesn't give her problems later on.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I think the overall placements of the top three were fine, but I do agree that the PCS was a little :confused:. Apart from the 3A, Mao's skating was sublime and I really don't think Julia comes close in terms of skating quality and performance yet at this point in her career. She's definitely not wooden though, I actually quite like her program, and I suppose its only to be expected given the home setting.

However, I have to admit that I liked Carolina's program better. I've never been particularly enamored of her skating, but that program was gorgeous. :love:

I agree, I've never really enjoyed her programs in the past but that is a beautiful short. Happy I got to watch it in HD on my TV instead of on some illegal Russian stream :p:cool: The greater FS coverage is definitely a :thumbsup: highlight of the Olympics for me.

DaveT

On the Ice
I think that Kostner should have a huge advantage over Lipnitskaia on the SS. But when I think about the other PCS, as enjoyable as Kostner's program was, it was a little sparse. So I don't know.

And whilst Kostner skated well, her spins aren't very good. Lipnitskaia's spins are exceptional.

So as much as I would have personally wanted to see Kostner first and Lipnitskaia's second, I think that you can definitely justify the result that we got.

(On a totally different note, I think Osmond was robbed because of skating early and being 'out of the judges' radar' and arguably deserved to be as high as 3rd.)

I agree with your points and I agree that if judged as COP is written a different result could have occurred thus I state the problem then is the COP and again Chan is the best example. He legitimately deserves the scores he gets in the components and he is that much better at the criteria as written but I can't find it in me to watch him fall all over the place and win (which I don't think will happen here). Osmond was an unexpected surprise.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Commentators from NBC prime time to live we're night and day stateside. Scott tried everything to belittle Julia. Tara and Johnny gave her nothing but respect. Scott tried to call out her lutz and then saw it on reply and had to sigh when he saw she was on the outside edge. America is at war with Oceania and has always been at war with Oceania!

Okay, just saw Julia's performance on NBC and I didn't hear this anti-Russian commentary you're accusing Scott and Sandra of. They're not my favorite commentators but they had plenty of compliments for her. They called her extraordinary, a wonder, etc. Scott was simply saying the things Julia could do to be EVEN better. It wasn't much different then what folks say on these boards.

Also Scott's reaction RE: lutz at replay was "I think it's on the outside edge....," i.e. he was unsure...

Also they called out the UR/two-foot by Ashley...so...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Ziggy I agree and you present your position well. I love Wagner, Mao and Kostner (I really liked Ave MARIA - not so much Bolero) but kostner sometimes simplifies h er choreography and her spins arent the best. But it was lovely and awe inspiring. Julia does not have the sophistication of sasha or Carolina butshe has a joy and certainly has more power and presence than Lipnski had at this age. Her j umps aren't as big as Carolina, Osmond or Gold but at least she manages to get control of her body and not be a twisting top as fast as she can hardly off the ground with spindly legs like Tara. I don't think she will win an individual gold and I think Mao, Suzuki, Carolina and Yuna will be ah ead of her or there is a good chance the podium will consist of those ladies especially if she blows allher energy on two good skates int he team event. As for Osmond I was impressed she held it togehter for being so new. It appears thejudging is tougher here than Vancouver though. Wagner looked mad about the marks; I thoujght her marks wold be like Rochetteespecially since she did the triple flip triple toe although a little two footed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Okay, just saw Julia's performance on NBC and I didn't hear this anti-Russian commentary you're accusing Scott and Sandra of. They're not my favorite commentators but they had plenty of compliments for her. They called her extraordinary, a wonder, etc. Scott was simply saying the things Julia could do to bee EVEN better. It wasn't much different then what folks say on these boards.

Also Scott's reaction RE: lutz at replay was "I think it's on the outside edge....," i.e. he was unsure...

Also they called out the UR/two-foot by Ashley...so...

:clap: thank you, I thought I was living in an alternate universe as I didn't hear the hate, either.