2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Men's Power Rankings

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
great analysis ;)
I think the majority of the weakness of the men is consistency.

1. Yuzuru Hanyu
strength: closing up the PCS-gap between him and Chan; greater BV and GOE-banker
weakness: ambitious layout; seems to be prone to injuries

2. Patrick Chan
strength: renewed confidence; SS to die for; classic and elegant
weakness: tends to be cold interpretation-wise; consistency issues in past records- may be a hurdle during competitions

3. Denis Ten
strength: probably the most complete skater competing
weakness: late bloomer in competitions; needs to get his head straight right away

4. Javier Fernandez
strength: charismatic; high BV
weakness: pressure gets into him (re: GPF 2014); pops a lot and inconsistent with his levels

5. Jason Brown
strength: charismatic; highly consistent
weakness: no quad (yet); has to maximize everything to compete

6. Shoma Uno
strength: peaks at right moments; a budding superstar skater with the SS; great body presence on ice
weakness: jump technique inconsistencies (re: @ helicopter lutz in US Classic) -> needs a jumping coach

7. Nam Nguyen
strength: consistent; developing his PCS skills; high BV
weakness: still slow on ice; sometimes packaging doesn't work

8. Josh Farris
strength: 2nd most complete skater on ice; amazing artistry; the next J. Abbott minus the headcasing (well a little bit)
weakness: prone to injuries and ills- which is the root of his headcasing

9. Han Yan
strenght: 3rd most complete skater; great jumps and SS
weakness: not the best packaging; hot and cold during competitions

10. Misha Ge
strength: becoming more consistent; AKA Drama On Ice (good drama though)
weakness: no quad; lack of fed politics; maybe too dramatic for some

11. Boyang Jin
strength: CRAZY SKY HIGH BV (holy cow that 4Lz)
weakness: everything else needs work!

12. Sergei Voronov
strength: fun skater to watch; charismatic; sentimental favourite
weakness: programs aren't the best (IMO); stiff on ice

Honourable mentions
-Maxim Kovtun
-Florent Amodio
-Adian Pitkeev

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
01. Yuzuru Hanyu
02. Patrick Chan
03. Javier Fernandez
04. Denis Ten
05. Nam Nguyen (looks like those quads are getting verryyyy consistent)
06. Joshua Farris (can he put it all together? He's national champion if he does)
07. Jason Brown (I don't see the quad happening for him right now)
08. Shoma Uno
09. Adian Pitkeev (I REALLY like him; he has a good chance of becoming a "complete package" skater this season and being the Russian champ)
10. Boyang Jin (those jumps will likely have him as the Chinese #1 since Han Yan unfortunately tends to be a mess)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I feel pretty bad for Javi right now. Apparently being the reigning World Champion just isn't good enough for a lot of people.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
1. Hanyu
2. Ten (probably bias to put him higher than Chan, but I'm hoping for some 4CC-like performances from Denis)
3. Chan
4. Fernandez
5. Nguyen
6. Farris
7. Kovtun
8. Uno
9. Jin
10. Brown

Eloyse

On the Ice
1. Yuzuru Hanyu & Patrick Chan
3. Boyang Jin
4. Jason Brown
5. Denis Ten
6. Fernandez
7. Nam Nguyen
8. Han Yan
9. Uno Shoma
10. Misha Ge

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I feel pretty bad for Javi right now. Apparently being the reigning World Champion just isn't good enough for a lot of people.

The field is likely becoming stronger. Chan is back and Hanyu + Ten should be better this season without the distraction of big injuries. Fernandez is not as good of a skater as any of those 3 to begin with, but I do think his consistency (and reputation PCS) will be able to keep him ahead of Ten.

Rissa

Record Breaker

Being World Champion consistently puts him in the top 4 with a three time World Champion, Olympic Champion and a Olympic Bronze slash rising star Ten , whichafter there is a a gap and the rest of the field. How's that "not good enough"? He's getting ranked up there with the best of the best. Fab 4, as somebody called them.

Last edited:

urara

Rinkside
1.Patrick Chan
2.Denis Ten
3.Yuzuru Hanyu
4.Javier Fernandez
5.Jason Brown
6.Han Yan
7.Sergei Voronov
8.Maxim Kovton
9.Daisuke Murakami
10.Nam Nguyen or Boyang Jin

As I'm not sure how new GOE for quad falls affects scores, I'll have a go at slightly different Top 4.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

It's ridiculous...thank goodness these lists don't mean a thing. Some of the more delusional ones are quite funny though.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
1. Hanyu
2. Fernandez
3. Chan
4. Nguyen
5. Ten
6. Kovtun
7. Voronov
8. Brown
9. Farris
10. Uno

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Couple reasons: Javier simply isn't at the artistic level of Hanyu and Chan, sorry. Hanyu didn't do a single clean quad in either program at Worlds and still almost beat Fernandez. Hanyu had an error on his quad in the Worlds SP, and was still 3 points higher than a clean (albeit kinda sloppy) Fernandez. To have to depend on Hanyu to make so many errors to win and the fact that he's still far behind Chan in terms of overall skating quality (though improving) makes him a likely #3 at best, even if he is World Champion. Javier also hasn't maxed out his base value by only opting for a solo 3T (when he could do a second axel/lutz/flip/loop) and has a minefield layout that could lead to Zayaking... and Hanyu's actually increasing his BV.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to put Ten above him, given Ten had the highest SP and 2nd highest FS scores of last season, and his 4CC score would have won Worlds by almost 16 points.

It is, however, odd to put Brown ahead of Fernandez (if we're talking potential placements/results/medals) given Fernandez attempts 4 quads (SP+LP) and usually lands at least 2-3 cleanly, and Brown isn't even close to landing a clean quad and has just got a handle on his 3A. Fernandez is also getting higher PCS than Brown still (even though Brown is a better overall skater IMO), and that's another advantage.

Last edited:

whatif

Medalist
1. Plushenko
2. Hanyu
3. Fernandez
4. Ten
5. Chan
6. Kovtun
7. Voronov
8. Uno
9. Farris
10. Yan

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Couple reasons: Javier simply isn't at the artistic level of Hanyu and Chan, sorry. Hanyu didn't do a single clean quad in either program at Worlds and still almost beat Fernandez. Hanyu had an error on his quad in the Worlds SP, and was still 3 points higher than a clean (albeit kinda sloppy) Fernandez. To have to depend on Hanyu to make so many errors to win and the fact that he's still far behind Chan in terms of overall skating quality (though improving) makes him a likely #3 at best, even if he is World Champion. Javier also hasn't maxed out his base value by only opting for a solo 3T (when he could do a second axel/lutz/flip/loop) and has a minefield layout that could lead to Zayaking... and Hanyu's actually increasing his BV.

And I don't think it's unreasonable to put Ten above him, given Ten had the highest SP and 2nd highest FS scores of last season, and his 4CC score would have won Worlds by almost 16 points.

It is, however, odd to put Brown ahead of Fernandez (if we're talking potential placements/results/medals) given Fernandez attempts 4 quads (SP+LP) and usually lands at least 2-3 cleanly, and Brown isn't even close to landing a clean quad and has just got a handle on his 3A. Fernandez is also getting higher PCS than Brown still (even though Brown is a better overall skater IMO), and that's another advantage.

Agree.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Aren't these rankings supposed to be about the season as a whole? Javier isn't going to be up against Hanyu, Chan & Ten at every competition. He could easily win his 2 GPs as well as Euros again. Denis Ten is less consistent than Javi, so I can't see him doing better overall. I also expect PChan's scores to come slightly back down to earth, and I don't think he will be gifted nearly as much as he has been in the past. At least I hope not...or I may just stick to watching the juniors.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aren't these rankings supposed to be about the season as a whole? Javier isn't going to be up against Hanyu, Chan & Ten at every competition. He could easily win his 2 GPs as well as Euros again. Denis Ten is less consistent than Javi, so I can't see him doing better overall. I also expect PChan's scores to come slightly back down to earth, and I don't think he will be gifted nearly as much as he has been in the past. At least I hope not...or I may just stick to watching the juniors.

Seems everyone has a different approach.

Personally when I think of power rankings I think of the rankings of the men skaters after a given period of time, based on a variety of criteria, such as recent performance, difficulty of competition, etc. That's how it's done in college football with the Associated Press poll.

But a lot of people are basing it on potential and even personal preference.

In theory, if you base it on available data, Chan needs to be much lower and Javi much higher because the former has not been in competition as of late. Javi, for now, should be No. 1 because he beat Ten and Hanyu at the last competition, Worlds.

Potential (based on technical content) is the equivalent of having a difficult playing schedule in college football. So for example, a team like Alabama will rank high because they are in a tough conference, while a team like Florida State, who is in a less difficult conference, would have to overperform to rise up the rankings. Florida State, last season, went undefeated, so they ended up in the top 4, with Alabama, Ohio State and Oregon.

So the skating equivalent would be likes of Chan, Hanyu and Fernandez would likely not be any lower than the top 5. They are the equivalent a Alabama or Ohio State, But other skaters could certain break into the top group by having strong results. They are like the TCU or Florida State of skating.

But that's just my opinion of course.

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
First of all, let us be reminded that, this is based on each person's opinion and perception of the skaters. And each person uses different criteria to determine who each considers best. It's normal we'll find some lists we don't agree with, but that's the magic of internet forums :)
That being said, I'll post my ranking with explanations if you don't mind (I love pointless rambles)

1. Yuzuru Hanyu
It was very difficult to decide, but I'll go with Yuzuru because of the technical content in his programs. His Chopin SP was among my favorite routines last season and he's finally stepped away from the warhorses for the FS. I'm really looking forward to see his full program and whether he'll be able to land his 3 quads and 3A combinations in one single performance. I, personally, don't think it will happen (really, this content is just a little too crazy) but it will be interesting to watch nevertheless. And as he's used to the SP already, maybe this time he'll get the chance to skate it clean (please change the entrance into that lutz). Besides, I think he'll be very motivated to get the World title back this year.

2. Patrick Chan
I just need to say something: the first glimpses of his SP have looked incredible. I'm loving everything about it. His SS, IMO, reamain unmatched, however, he won't have the PCS cushion he used to anymore. Unlike with Mao, where I think her PCS will put the rest of the field in check, I don't think the rest of Chan's contenders will get lower PCS in relation to his own. I don't think the season he skipped will impact him negatively, and he is also motivated to win a 4th World Title. It will be a matter of consistency (like with most men), specially on his 3A.

3. Javier Fernandez
The reigning World Champ seems very motivated this season, and among the European skaters, he's got no competition (I thought Plushy could be...but then his health issues happened). So he's in for another Euros title at least, and will very, very, very likely make it to the GPF (he's got every chance to win both of his events). So far, his SP looks nice, and his PCS could rise a bit more this season given he's the World Champion. I don't think it will be likely for him to beat either Yuzuru or Patrick if any of them go clean (though really, how often has that happened?) but he'll be the first one to capitalize on their mistakes. And they don't have to be full meltdowns, just a little too many. With 3 quads in his FS, who knows? He may even beat a clean Patrick based on TES, but he needs to be clean.

4. Denis Ten
Although, when he's on, Denis is a gorgeous skater to watch, I'm placing it below the other guys because he regularly doesn't do that well in the first half of the season. Besides, he will have two tough GP Events, so I think his chances of making it to the GPF are slimmer than the other 3 guys. But Denis peaks when it matters, so I think he'll be a very serious podium contender by the time Worlds rolls around. And I think he’ll definitely want to revalidate his 4 CC title.

5. Jason Brown
He's the leading American man right now, his incredible spins, great GOE on his jumps and PCS have taken him very far in the senior level. I'm glad he's finally decided to challenge the quad, because I think he's reached the limit of how far one could get without it. With it, he'll close the score gap on the guys above him. Even so, I think getting his 3A nice and clean every time will help him even more. Because we still don't know how he'll do with the quad. Who knows? I think he may have the best chances out of the U.S. guys of making it to the GPF. And with Worlds being at home, he could give us a surprise. I was a bit uneasy when I watched his new programs because the music for the FS, merely piano, doesn't cover up any mistakes, so he needs to be as perfect as he can or his program can look marred. But I think he has the performance skills to pull it through.

6. Maxim Kovtun
His style is not my cup of tea, but he's the head of the Russian guys ATM. And if he hits his quads, he will likely get high PCS as well. Guess it's a matter of not melting down and completely letting go of his program like he did at Worlds 2015.

7. Nam Nguyen
He was very consistent last season, 5th place at Worlds at 16? I take my hat off to that. I expect it to go down a bit with the addition of the 4T (which sometimes gives him a hard time) and the quad to the SP. Some people complained that the programs are ‘too mature’ for him, but I think it’s a step towards the right direction, and towards growing as a skater. I would say he’s got the chance for a bronze and a silver at SC and COR, respectively (would that be enough for the GPF?)

8. Joshua Farris
One of the very few men who had both a SP and a FS that I absolutely adored last season. I was delighted to hear he was keeping 'Give me Love' and 'Pines of Rome' is one of my favorite pieces since childhood. I think Josh can deliver these programs beautifully, though consistency will be a key part, particularly his quad. Another main issue with Josh are his injuries, he needs to look after himself and avoid injuries in order to avoid bombings. I think it was mainly the injuries and the lack of training time because of said injuries that he had those rough skates at NHK last year.

9. Shoma Uno
Even though he had a rough start at US Classic, I don’t think this will be the rule for Shoma. It will mainly be a matter of keeping his nerves at bay and working on the quad. He's in 9th place because I don't know how he'll cope with the pressure he will surely be under. He'll be pressured to make the World Team, and if he does, he'll be pressured to help Japan get its 3 spots back.

10. Boyang Jin
The quad jumper wonder. But aside form that, he needs to grow in other areas of his skating. But he’s barely moving up to senior so I’m not too worried about that. Even though what he’s doing is historic, I wish he would drop a quad in favor of saving energy for his spins and such, since it seems like they worn him out. Although I like Han’s skating better, he is still wildly unpredictable, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Boyang surpasses him as the best Chinese man. I still don’t know how he’ll be scored though, will he get low PCS or will they be high because of his insane tech? I’m not sure if he’ll be scored among the numbers of Javier/Yuzuru/Denis/Patrick, but I think he could give the rest of the field a run for their money. It will be interesting to see how he’s scored against, say, Jason since their styles are so very different as well as their strong suits. As well as his contemporaries: Shoma, Nam, Adian, etc.

But well, this is all just speculation, which at the end of the day is for pure entertaining while we wait for the bigger competitions to begin.

Last edited: