2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Men's Short Program Feb 12 Seoul Time

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I was going to say this. They have 26 entrants and only 24 advance to the LP. Does that seem cruel and unnecessary to anyone else or just me? For heaven's sake, just let them all go through, it's not going to affect everything, they'll still have the same number/size of warmup groups.

I agree. I was really saddened when I saw that. It's not like they will save so much time by eliminating 2 men. It would be different if they were cutting down fro 35-40 to 24.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of course, the rules must be applied for all... and if not making top 24 keeps you out, then it keeps you out.

What I intended by "I hate it when that happens" is meant more that I feel so badly for the one or two skaters who are out of the FP.

Those two skaters will, in all likelihood, be from emerging countries without a strong tradition in figure skating (or very inexperienced skaters from stronger federations), and they certainly won't be threats to impact the podium. While they can't be part of the competition, why not let them skate their FP as an exhibition before the competition starts? Even if they're not awarded any marks. It won't cost the organizers or the ISU a thing.

Sometimes, just small gestures can have great impact.

Tesla

Final Flight
I was going to say this. They have 26 entrants and only 24 advance to the LP. Does that seem cruel and unnecessary to anyone else or just me? For heaven's sake, just let them all go through, it's not going to affect everything, they'll still have the same number/size of warmup groups.

I think it's stupid. Just let them all skate the free program.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

I agree. What's an extra two LPs??? They should have just limited the number of entrants to 24 then. It reminds me of a beauty pageant I attended which had six contestants. They awarded 4th RU up to the winner, which meant there was this ONE girl standing on the stage with nothing. It was cruel. At least there weren't 25 entrants here.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's going to be hard knowing I HAVE to sleep tonight or else I could possibly bomb a test worth 22% of my grade for Organic Chemistry II lecture.

Augh....The struggle.

deetrakt

Rinkside

Don't want to send this off on a tangent for more than a quick reply. I can't remember an important international competition in which there are more senior men than senior women competing. It's unusual, right? Wonder why, if so, it happened here-26 vs. 19.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Of course, the rules must be applied for all... and if not making top 24 keeps you out, then it keeps you out.

What I intended by "I hate it when that happens" is meant more that I feel so badly for the one or two skaters who are out of the FP.

Those two skaters will, in all likelihood, be from emerging countries without a strong tradition in figure skating (or very inexperienced skaters from stronger federations), and they certainly won't be threats to impact the podium. While they can't be part of the competition, why not let them skate their FP as an exhibition before the competition starts? Even if they're not awarded any marks. It won't cost the organizers or the ISU a thing.

I don't like to see anyone cut either. But since Argentina was mentioned, I just wanted to mention that Denis Margalik trains in Canada (and has lived there most of his life). I actually expect him to do relatively ok and I'm confident he will make the cut.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, I'll look for him. I simply mentioned him because I saw Argentina represented, and it's a "non-tradition" skating power. Used only for illustration, and not "throwing shade" at Denis Margalik.

If I'm remembering correctly, a man from Argentina was on the podium at the very first Olympic figure skating competition. I hope my advanced age isn't getting me mixed up on this, but wasn't he the silver medalist?

Edit: No that wasn't correct. I just wikipedia'd the list of figure skating medalists.

So, now this is bugging me, and I have to figure out why I would have thought that.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, so I think this is the story.

In 1908, figure skating was actually a sport in the Summer Olympics in London. Only one Argentinian took part in these Olympics, and he was a figure skater. There were only 6 nations represented at this skating competition, so Argentina was something of a trail-blazing nation in the sport.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Organic Chemistry? I feel your pain :drama:

Haha, god I'm glad I don't have to repeat my college years! Good luck. Funny thing, I LOVED Organic and had above a 100 average both semesters due to everyone around me failing exams and the professor being ordered to curve up the scores. I guess it's like picking up a foreign language, you might be a natural or it could be torture. Good luck!

pandaatlarge

On the Ice
Despite everyone was not in best shape yesterday and struggled with the quads, according to updated planned content list this morning, no change in the jumping passes. I am expecting a quads battle from SP tonight.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
It's going to be hard knowing I HAVE to sleep tonight or else I could possibly bomb a test worth 22% of my grade for Organic Chemistry II lecture.

Augh....The struggle.

:hijacked: Good luck with your Organic Chemistry lecture (exam or presentation?)You made me remember my years when I studied organic chemistry...I can still remember bits and pieces, though too many years have passed. A, I also did biochemistry...med school?:hijacked:
As for 4CC, hopefully some videos will be posted on you tube...

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Despite everyone was not in best shape yesterday and struggled with the quads, according to updated planned content list this morning, no change in the jumping passes. I am expecting a quads battle from SP tonight.

Splat-fest upcoming? :popcorn:

I really hope at least one of the American men can pull of a clean program, as intended!

centerpt1

On the Ice

Or a splatfest of epic proprtions.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I won't be watching the Men's SP event live...I'm going to have to forcibly keep myself from logging on to Golden Skate and any other news outlet because I promised my family I'd watch the Japan broadcast with them...and that's TOMORROW!!! Sigh. I must be strong.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, god I'm glad I don't have to repeat my college years! Good luck. Funny thing, I LOVED Organic and had above a 100 average both semesters due to everyone around me failing exams and the professor being ordered to curve up the scores. I guess it's like picking up a foreign language, you might be a natural or it could be torture. Good luck!

Yeah I was kinda surprised that I picked it up better than gen chem. But it's probably due to that orgo is more visual to me and I'm a visual learner.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:hijacked: Good luck with your Organic Chemistry lecture (exam or presentation?)You made me remember my years when I studied organic chemistry...I can still remember bits and pieces, though too many years have passed. A, I also did biochemistry...med school?:hijacked:
As for 4CC, hopefully some videos will be posted on you tube...

I have a test. Yes. I'm planning on going to medical school.

Yup, YouTube will be the place to go for me.