2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2015 Glacier Falls Summer Classic, July 30-Aug. 2, Anaheim, CA

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
The Junior and Senior videos have arrived, via FedEx, at IN...they are diligently working on them to get them up on-line, for your viewing pleasure.

Remember this is FREE and PROFESSIONAL videography, not something from the stands. Hook up your laptop to your 60" screen and enjoy them, once they are up.

When I learn of them being up...I will post.

Thanks, again, to everyone for your support of the Summer Classic!

And thank you for keeping us so well informed. And to Mao, as always, for the links. What would we do without both of you? How could we nitpick our way through the dull days of summer criticizing brand new programs and costumes and making wild predictions for the future? I mean, there are only so many times in ones life that a conversation about war horses is, you know, compelling...

BIG ;)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ETA:
Like many, I had hoped for much more extensive IN video coverage of the Freezer Challenge. And I was disappointed that the Freezer coverage was limited to two very short videos.
But the drumbeat of skepticism/pessimism re IN's Glacier Falls videos is not warranted, IMO.​

I'd hoped my point would largely be taken as concern rather than criticism. Maybe the line about being a wrap up archived at IN was unnecessary. However I've tried several times on my mobile device to access the Broadmoor videos and my iPhone6 plus is not compatible. Since I'm mostly on my mobile devices I haven't seen any of it. Also now that the event already happened I can't imagine the traffic on IN will be as high as it would have been during the event.

The main reason I want my post to be seen as one of concern and less as criticism is because I truly do think IN and USFSA could easily have invested, maybe should have wanted to invest, in this event and seen a return. Like I said previously it could give potential IN customers a chance for people to take the car out for a free test drive so to speak. I would think that USFSA would also have an interest in promoting their skaters for the up and coming season. With that in mind I'm just a little concerned that an event with this caliber of skaters isn't on their radar. Maybe IN and USFSA approached the organizers and it was in the best interest of the club to do it this way without outside investors.

I cannot stress enough that I don't have anything but utmost respect for the organizers and the event itself. I just find it hard to believe that a win for all three couldn't have come from a live stream of the senior events with the initial push to live stream the event coming from IN and USFSA. YMMV and I mean no disrespect. I just want the best for everyone and think that is where my concern stems from.

Directly at crzesk8dad: You have been enormously helpful and informative. Everything you've done is very much appreciated. I hope nothing but the best for you and your club. Thanks !!

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I understand where you're coming from, Sam, and I agree. :agree:

My YouTube channel pulls in about 40% of traffic from mobile devices, so IN & USFSA could be missing out on almost half of the market out there. People don't really watch videos on desktops (or even laptops) as much anymore...

And thanks to crzesk8dad for providing the source of video for everyone, free of charge.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'd hoped my point would largely be taken as concern rather than criticism. Maybe the line about being a wrap up archived at IN was unnecessary. ...

I would think that USFSA would also have an interest in promoting their skaters for the up and coming season. With that in mind I'm just a little concerned that an event with this caliber of skaters isn't on their radar. ...

I just find it hard to believe that a win for all three couldn't have come from a live stream of the senior events with the initial push to live stream the event coming from IN and USFSA. YMMV and I mean no disrespect. I just want the best for everyone and think that is where my concern stems from.

Directly at crzesk8dad: You have been enormously helpful and informative. Everything you've done is very much appreciated. I hope nothing but the best for you and your club. Thanks !!

As my post above clearly indicated, it was a reaction specifically to your allusion to a wrap-up video. An allusion that was both unnecessary and unfair.

I honestly don't understand how IN (owned by USFS, I believe?) can be accused of not having Glacier Falls on its radar, when IN had four hours of video on demand last year, and already had plans in place before this year's comp to provide even more hours of 2015 VOD. (Not to mention IN's previous years of video, per Mrs. P.)

Meanwhile ... I'm glad that we all are in absolute agreement that crzesk8dad :bow: is our hero.

Sam-S, although I do believe that you are motivated by concern (rather than a desire to criticize), crzesk8dad did address the topic of live streaming earlier in this thread.
Sorry but livestreaming is a money loser for the LOC, it impacts ticket sales as well as video sales. Sorry but these competitions are done to make money for the Club, which is then given to skaters of all levels, not just elite skaters, but also Syncrho, Adult, beginners, etc.

Because of the stature of the Junior and Senior events, we have chosen to go on-demand w/IceNetwork for free, for those unable to make the event.

If you're saying that IN should have paid Glacier Falls for the rights to live streaming, I for one don't think it's realistic to expect that IN then would have provided live streaming for free.
And I think it is open to debate whether live streaming (and archived video) only for paying subscribers is preferable to video on demand for free for everyone.

ETA:

... However I've tried several times on my mobile device to access the Broadmoor videos and my iPhone6 plus is not compatible. Since I'm mostly on my mobile devices I haven't seen any of it. ...

I understand your point that IN ought to care that its viewers want/expect content to be available on mobile devices.

But I don't understand what the mobile issue has to do with the discussion of Glacier Falls and IN video on demand vs. IN live streaming. :confused2:

It's not good that you are not able to watch IN video on demand on your iPhone.
But are you saying that you would have been able to watch IN live streaming of Glacier Falls on your iPhone??​

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And thank you for keeping us so well informed. And to Mao, as always, for the links. What would we do without both of you? How could we nitpick our way through the dull days of summer criticizing brand new programs and costumes and making wild predictions for the future? I mean, there are only so many times in ones life that a conversation about war horses is, you know, compelling...

BIG ;)

:thumbsup: and :rofl:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All I am saying is I fully believe that the USFSA and IN would benefit from paying the GFSC the rights to broadcast via live stream the senior and maybe the junior events at this particular event. There was a definite interest here at this particular forum on a global level., I'm sure others were interested too. There is no reason the club should donate such an amazing product to them not to see it given a 100% priority. People are already shifting focus to the next event (Russian Test skates and JGP events and such ) meanwhile several skates are not even released yet in their entirety. I'd really find it hard to believe interest in this event and the skaters participating is as high as it was just three days ago. That's something to consider.

I'm saying if I we're on USFSA board and attending a meeting I'd be massively in support of finding any way possible to drum up interest via an event like this. My paycheck is influenced by people participating in figure skating so maybe I'm a bit too connected to remain unbiased. I still think someone at USFSA should want the skating of its stars and future stars not only easily accessible but timely in doing so. I consider myself a dedicated fan and now that the event has passed I'm moving forward. Maybe that's wrong but that's a reality I think should be addressed by governing bodies.

Worst case scenerio they try and fail and wind up investing money into a club that is one of their own. Responsible for many memberships in its own right I'm sure. It's maybe only my opinion but that's not a bad investment regardless of the final result. Some risks are worth taking. One of the most basic rules I've learned in promoting and marketing oneself is being right or wrong is less important than the impact you make.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The Junior and Senior videos have arrived, via FedEx, at IN...they are diligently working on them to get them up on-line, for your viewing pleasure.

Remember this is FREE and PROFESSIONAL videography, not something from the stands. Hook up your laptop to your 60" screen and enjoy them, once they are up.

Oh, I will, crzesk8dad! I most certainly will! (Well, except the 60" screen part. I have a measly 48".)

I'm thinking of getting a chromecast, but I'm not sure it'd work with Hola.

crzesk8dad

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I have been advised by IN that the videos will start showing up later today or tonight and should be complete by tomorrow. In the meantime, you will see some "highlights" to "wet your whistle".

Enjoy!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm thinking of getting a chromecast, but I'm not sure it'd work with Hola.

I don't use Hola, but I can't think of a reason why you couldn't cast a stream to your TV even in that scenario.

However, is your WiFi network equipped with the proper bandwidth and modern wireless transmission methods (802.11N/802.11AC) to fully support high quality HD streaming over the air with Chromecast?

Also, the quality of IN's video player isn't nearly as high as I'd prefer on a 27" PC monitor -- piping it out to a TV screen twice the size won't improve the quality and you will probably be disappointed if that's your main motivation in doing so. However, if the draw is wanting to sit in your living room, relaxing on your couch, watching skating on your TV... then I would look at options like Chromecast.

Truth be told, if you have a laptop or another computer/device that is close to your TV, I would get an adapter that would allow you to directly connect to your TV's input.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have been advised by IN that the videos will start showing up later today or tonight and should be complete by tomorrow. In the meantime, you will see some "highlights" to "wet your whistle".

Enjoy!

Yep, those are the highlights....full events late r tonight and tomorrow.

Thx, crzesk8dad!

Last year's full Senior videos were available on IN by the Friday after the competition.

So publishing this year's full Junior and Senior videos on IN by Thursday is even better yet. :bow: :yay:
Thanks to everyone responsible for completing double the work in less time.

... There is no reason the club should donate such an amazing product to them not to see it given a 100% priority. People are already shifting focus to the next event (Russian Test skates and JGP events and such ) meanwhile several skates are not even released yet in their entirety. I'd really find it hard to believe interest in this event and the skaters participating is as high as it was just three days ago. That's something to consider.

... I still think someone at USFSA should want the skating of its stars and future stars not only easily accessible but timely in doing so. I consider myself a dedicated fan and now that the event has passed I'm moving forward. Maybe that's wrong but that's a reality I think should be addressed by governing bodies. ...

I think several in this thread have indicated that they will be pleased to watch the IN video on demand a few days after Glacier Falls ended.

A lag of a few days is not as timely as live streaming, but it is no worse than waiting over a week (in some cases) for NBC to broadcast ISU events.

The first JGP is still two weeks away.
You clearly are a dedicated fan of the sport. If your focus already has shifted to subsequent events, that is your choice to make.

(Don't understand what you mean by 100% priority, BTW.)

Layback11

Record Breaker
As my post above clearly indicated, it was a reaction specifically to your allusion to a wrap-up video. An allusion that was both unnecessary and unfair.

I honestly don't understand how IN (owned by USFS, I believe?) can be accused of not having Glacier Falls on its radar, when IN had four hours of video on demand last year, and already had plans in place before this year's comp to provide even more hours of 2015 VOD. (Not to mention IN's previous years of video, per Mrs. P.)

Meanwhile ... I'm glad that we all are in absolute agreement that crzesk8dad :bow: is our hero.

Sam-S, although I do believe that you are motivated by concern (rather than a desire to criticize), crzesk8dad did address the topic of live streaming earlier in this thread.

If you're saying that IN should have paid Glacier Falls for the rights to live streaming, I for one don't think it's realistic to expect that IN then would have provided live streaming for free.
And I think it is open to debate whether live streaming (and archived video) only for paying subscribers is preferable to video on demand for free for everyone.

ETA:

I understand your point that IN ought to care that its viewers want/expect content to be available on mobile devices.

But I don't understand what the mobile issue has to do with the discussion of Glacier Falls and IN video on demand vs. IN live streaming. :confused2:

It's not good that you are not able to watch IN video on demand on your iPhone.
But are you saying that you would have been able to watch IN live streaming of Glacier Falls on your iPhone??​

Well, you actually can watch on mobile devices. There's an app called Photon for iPhone and iPad that I use. It's a flash-enabled web browser for mobile devices. If you can't find it, there are several similar ones that do the same thing.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Well, you actually can watch on mobile devices. There's an app called Photon for iPhone and iPad that I use. It's a flash-enabled web browser for mobile devices. If you can't find it, there are several similar ones that do the same thing.

I'm sure there are little-known workarounds to try getting sites like IN to work on a mobile device. Is this specific to just the iPhone/iPad, or do other mobile devices (like Android) have a similar issue -- and do they have workarounds too? I suspect most people are not aware of these 'solutions', or at least not willing to pay $4 USD (iPhone) or $5 (iPad) to download an app that might run IN. (IceNetwork is not officially supported on mobile devices, and definitely not optimized for them.)

I have not experimented with this myself so I have no personal experience to share on how effective this may work.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm sure there are little-known workarounds to try getting sites like IN to work on a mobile device. Is this specific to just the iPhone/iPad, or do other mobile devices (like Android) have a similar issue -- and do they have workarounds too? I suspect most people are not aware of these 'solutions', or at least not willing to pay $4 USD (iPhone) or $5 (iPad) to download an app that might run IN. (IceNetwork is not officially supported on mobile devices, and definitely not optimized for them.)

I have not experimented with this myself so I have no personal experience to share on how effective this may work.

Speaking from experience, Photon definitely runs IN on both iPhone or iPad, and fairly smoothly. Don't know about any other apps.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I was always able to use IN on my Android devices (phones, tablets). You can just download flash onto the device and go from there. With my Iphone, you have to purchase a browser that runs flash, which I'm personally not willing to do.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have used photon to watch IN video on my iphone 5, and while I'm grateful to have the option, I don't really like it much. The video seems choppier and less clear, even when I adjust it.

It's kind of silly for IN to use technology that does not support mobile devices. I use my phone far more than my laptop, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. Honestly, I was able to stream the Olympics and watch the mens comp at work. IN is like a dinosaur.

ETA I guess the issue is just with iPhones which don't support flash.

Last edited: