2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Pairs SP and FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Pairs SP and FS

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh wow I totally missed that!!! I actually think that was a really impressive attempt then- the entrance into it and the actual jump looked really good, right up till the crashy landing which obviously didn't. I had no idea they were working on this, good for them!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Did anyone notice the throw Luba fell on was a quad?

Wow. Brave attempt. Beautiful program beautifully skated. Good connection from this Pair.

It was nice to get a (choreographed) hug and most likely some words of support from the partner right after a fall :). Single skaters don't have such perk.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was weird how there were several couples among the ice dancers and pairs today who used the concept of the mechanical doll, wound up or brought to life by her partner. I guess it's like when many skaters use POTO or some other piece of music in the same season ... it's what's in the air.

I thought A/R had the most success with the idea. Not surprising since their coach Artur Dimitriev always has had a reputation for off-beat creativity.

Now that I've watched more of the SDs, I liked C/B more than the Shibs. I'm not sure if it's the Shibs' technique that I'm missing, or some sort of contrast between them. They're so smooth that I'm a little bored by them. Except for their Michael Jackson medley from 2013-14 season.

I also loved Piper and Gilles' Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds. Quite an original spark, in a pleasing way IMO.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Had a break from the Pairs after the first group for an hour to have dinner, and have just finished catching up.

So, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate the organisers for putting yesterday's problems behind them and giving us such a great event today!

It is safe to say that yesterday was a shambles. However, the organisers should get credit for managing to get all the scheduled competitions run despite the problems (most of which were beyond their control)

But today was an example of how a competition should be run. Apart from the odd phone call happening, the coverage today was of the highest standard possible!

The only time when the high standard slipped was during the podium ceremony. The bad camera work we were complaining about yesterday returned. And, unfortunately, the camera that we switched to during the winner's national anthem did not have a microphone on it, so we did not get to hear the Russian anthem.

But, we'll get plenty of chances to hear it the rest of the season! ;) :biggrin:

The reason we switched to that camera was because it was set up to display flag graphics above each of the podium finishers. And although it did look cheap and nasty, it did address an issue that I have been thinking about throughout the Junior Grand Prix Series.

In most sports, when you have a podium ceremony, the flags are hanging up behind the podium finishers. And it is very effective at getting the desired message across.

Yet in figure skating, the flags are displayed elsewhere on the rink. One time (I can't remember where), they were at the side of the rink. But, most times they are at the far end of the rink facing the skaters. And it is stupid, because those watching the ceremony can't look at both flags and skaters at the same time!

It is also potentially misleading, as the flags keep the protocol of the 2nd position being to the right hand of the winner. Which, when they are at the far end of the rink facing the skaters, means that the 2nd place skater's flag is flying opposite the 3rd place skater, while the 3rd place skater's flag is flying opposite the 2nd place skater.

And that is why it is always better to have the flags behind the skaters, so that the correct flag is in line with the correct skater.

If they don't have flag poles near where the podium ceremony is being conducted, all it would take is to get a BIG movable clothes rail to hang the 3 flags from, and then wheel it onto the ice behind the podium! Then everybody would get the full effect! ;)

In Bratislava, viewers at home got a picture that told the whole story. But, those rinkside did not. So, maybe before tomorrow, they could find one of those clothes rails...

After solving all those major problems from yesterday, I wouldn't bet against them being able to address a simple thing like this! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Oh yes A&R :party2:. What is wrong with S/K? :shrug: Guys need to relax a bit, I'd say. Can they?

Last edited:

nocturnalis

Medalist
It's really only a matter of time and suitable Russian male partners before S leaves K and I wouldn't blame her.

bramweld

Record Breaker
It's really only a matter of time and suitable Russian male partners before S leaves K and I wouldn't blame her.

I think they've under too much pressure from themselves and their fed. They need to learn how to take things in stride and relax a bit. Just my $0.02.

samson

Medalist
I'm curious did anyone see what Dylan and Lubov did that was illegal? Had they not gotten the -2.00 points they would have had a new PB. I thought maybe it would be obvious to me or I'd at least have some clue but I don't.

Here's the program for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pW8HNyO6I

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I didn't find anything illegal. I noticed they finished 1-2 sec after the music. Other than that the fall at 4F but both are deductions without being illegal.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
arghh. i don't know?
the 4Fth will be amazing when landed...

I LOVE THEIR LIFTS!!!!!

please work on your SBS Luba,,, what a gorgeous program
I'm curious did anyone see what Dylan and Lubov did that was illegal? Had they not gotten the -2.00 points they would have had a new PB. I thought maybe it would be obvious to me or I'd at least have some clue but I don't.

Here's the program for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pW8HNyO6I

HermioneG

On the Ice
ohhh i see that? and why is this illegal?

Legal grips are only hand-to-hand, hand-to-arm, hand-to-body and hand to leg above the knee (rules). If technical panel count this short movement as a grip, it's illegal.

Other thing: why SK has 5TLi4 (but not 5BLi4) in protocols? Who did a mistake - SK or technical panel?

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i thought he did that because of stability issue... i think a deduction is okay in terms of levels... or GOE... but the -2 is crazy.. it sort of says " don't grab her there... left her fall... otherwise you will lose 2 points instead of 1 for the fall "
Legal grips are only hand-to-hand, hand-to-arm, hand-to-body and hand to leg above the knee (rules). If technical panel count this short movement as a grip, it's illegal.

Other thing: why SK has 5TLi4 (but not 5BLi4) in protocols? Who did a mistake - SK or technical panel?

YoenNL

Rinkside
I/M : illegal grip at the end of the lift.
S/K : intended is 5BLi but she taps in ... so ... 5TLi.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

So basically, any part below the knee is illegal. So, what about the head and the neck?

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
Why did they choose Rachmaninov's music for T/M?! :mad: The team is wonderful, their SP is beautiful, but the Lp is such a snoozefest. I don't think they have interpretational skills to perform and present well this kind of music. Yet

On the other hand, I loooooved S/K LP. Saw it like 4 times already. It's just magnificent, I love everything they do in it including costumes (although I would add some bling to make it pop out more. Maybe, some black or transparent rhinestones?). For me it was such a powerful program about something people vs. government vs. machines. Something so dystopian and futuristic.

A/R : Kristina is such a diva. It's impressive how much she improved in this new partnership. I/M: Same with Dylan. Just an impressive improvement!

The rest of the field was rather meh =(