2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Ladies FS

sajoya

On the Ice
Dude, did you see her performance? What did you want them to do? Have her make the podium? I mean come on dude.

Your whole post is crazy but that segment just makes it obvious, and it shows where a lot of the people in this forum are coming from. But lets give it a rest, I'm unfortunately close to being banned from this forum, I have 2 infractions already.

Your plan on being ban here is working. Congrats :cheer: Who would've expected that you wouldn't get any infractions after saying this

And so that you're not left crying again like a little brat... I would use a different B word, but I don't want to get kicked off.

minze

Medalist
You sound like Jack Gallagher with the watered down worlds comment. It was so "watered down" and so much of an after thought that it had the best set of ladies SP's ever including a new world record by Mao. The World championships predate the Olympics and it really is dismissive and begrudging to demean the achievements of those who medal or win there. Also, what is that supposed to mean all the best skaters were resting after the Olympics? It seems like you just want to provoke people.

Jack Ghalager has an unhealthy obsession with Mao

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Hindsight is 20/20, but I wonder if it would have been better for Julia to have sat out this season to rest up and try to regain a bit of her privacy. The lead up to the Olympics takes a lot out of an individual, especially when you're thrust into the spotlight so abruptly.

I've never criticized an Olympic medalist for taking a little time off after the season has concluded. They deserve it, if that's what they want. There are so few of them competing this year, aside from Yuzuru Hanyu, who seems better equipped to deal with the fame and a rollercoaster ride of a season. But even he seems on the verge of breaking at times, like when he started weeping uncontrollably in the K&C at CoC.

"Olympic medalist" - you have to remember that it was the team event where she got the gold medal, and her oponents were Gracie, Akiko, Osmond, and Marchei. Her score was inflated beyond belief, a program that should have gotten around sub-130 got a whopping 140-something with ridiculous PCS. This not only obviously put pressure on her second run, but also set unrealistic expectations for herself since Yulia has a lot of inherent problems (which is becoming evident).

Also, anyone want some entertaining quotes from the Russian commentators?

[After Yulia's first fall on the 3F] "Ah, why don't they get rid of these flip requirements?!"

Last edited:

blue_ice

On the Ice
Are skaters from Russia allowed to take coaches from other countries? I feel like some of the U.S. coaches have good enough experience and a different enough mindset to maybe change Yulia's jumps for the better. They are most definitely her weakest element.

What "US coach"? Arutunyan? Ouriashev that made Gracie's amazing jumps or Caroll who
killed it?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
"Olympic medalist" - you have to remember that it was the team event where she got the gold medal, and her oponents were Gracie, Akiko, Osmond, and Marchei. Her score was inflated beyond belief, a program that should have gotten around sub-130 got a whopping 140-something with ridiculous PCS.

Couple things:
- yes, her score was inflated but so was everyone's (especially Gold and Sotnikova)
- she went clean in both programs... And under pressure being selected as both of Russia's team ladies segments
- you conveniently left out Wagner (the GPF bronze medalist), Kostner (the eventual Olympic bronze medalist), and Asada (who is, well, Asada)... arguably she should have been called for her flutz and lost the team SP to Kostner but she still did well
- everyone was expecting ladies to be the event that would be Team Russia's weakness and thanks to her, it was surprisingly Russia's second strongest discipline

Last edited:

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Couple things:
- yes, her score was inflated but so was everyone's (especially Gold and Sotnikova)
- she went clean in both programs... And under pressure being selected as both of Russia's team ladies segments
- you conveniently left out Wagner (the GPF bronze medalist), Kostner (the eventual Olympic bronze medalist), and Asada (who is, well, Asada)... arguably she should have been called for her flutz and lost the team SP to Kostner but she still did well
- everyone was expecting ladies to be the event that would be Team Russia's weakness and thanks to her, it was surprisingly Russia's second strongest discipline

- Sure, I agree.
- Having her compete in both events actually really backfired, it put a lot of pressure on her.
- I was talking about Long program, should have been more specific. There was conveniently no Mao or Kostener or Wagner (not that she is that much of a threat, but still) in the LP.
- Don't get me started on that last point - the team event was Sochi's clever way of sweeping some medals, especially in the men's field *cough*

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
- Sure, I agree.
- Having her compete in both events actually really backfired, it put a lot of pressure on her.
- I was talking about Long program, should have been more specific. There was conveniently no Mao or Kostener or Wagner (not that she is that much of a threat, but still) in the LP.
- Don't get me started on that last point - the team event was Sochi's clever way of sweeping some medals, especially in the men's field *cough*

Lol I know what you mean. But regardless of that, everyone expected ladies to be the event that would drag Russia down to silver, and it would have if Lip didnt do well.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Lol I know what you mean. But regardless of that, everyone expected ladies to be the event that would drag Russia down to silver, and it would have if Lip didnt do well.

Lip is her usual self that season and choked at the individual event, and people who expected "ladies to be the event that would drag Russia down to silver", did not expect the ridiculous inflation that started right at the team event...

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Thanks.

Lip is her usual self that season and choked at the individual event, and people who expected "ladies to be the event that would drag Russia down to silver", did not expect the ridiculous inflation that started right at the team event...
Considering the way Team Russia skated, they didn't need any inflation to win the Team Event. People who expected them to lose gold probably expected someone on the team to bomb (which, of course, could happen).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Thanks.

Considering the way Team Russia skated, they didn't need any inflation to win the Team Event. People who expected them to lose gold probably expected someone on the team to bomb (which, of course, could happen).

True... She did seal the win though with her FS win... Against a clean Gold at that.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
True... She did seal the win though with her FS win... Against a clean Gold at that.
To me, if anyone in the Team Event is worthy of being called Olympic champion, it's Yulia. She contributed more than anyone. I can't believe people are trying to belittle her for what she did in another event (individuals) or "inflation" (which made no difference to the results and doesn't negate the fact that she skated two clean programs).

lavender

Record Breaker
I feel really bad for Yulia. I don't even care for Yulia's skating but can you really watch that skate and not have a heart for the girl. I personally hated the Olympics. There was so much inflation for both Russian girls and maybe that's why there's so much backlash. I don't know but the last time Yulia had a bad season she thought about quitting and after machida I don't really want anymore people quitting yet. It feels weird taking up for a skater that I'm not a fan of. The last time that happened I found myself rooting for Ashley and have been ever since.

minze

Medalist
To me, if anyone in the Team Event is worthy of being called Olympic champion, it's Yulia. She contributed more than anyone. I can't believe people are trying to belittle her for what she did in another event (individuals) or "inflation" (which made no difference to the results and doesn't negate the fact that she skated two clean programs).

Agree. It is amazing how when one has a bad season all of the sudden some forget their acomplisments.

Yulia was amazing last season.

StunninglyUnique

Rinkside
To be honest I think the whole Sochi Ladies event was a big joke. Honestly how could Sotnikova even be a medalist and I do actually believe that if it hadn't been for the big scoring scandal Yulia would have gotten at least a bronze medal. To me, I feel like we can never know, truly, what every skater was worth (score wise) because the judges favored someone (Sotnikova) and had to pull down everyone who was standing in the way, like Yuna, Carolina and Mao and even Yulia. But everyone bashing Yulia are just big haters. Compared to Elena and Eliza she actually skates beautifully and her jumps are good. Just because she had a season full of errors in the free program everyone feels as if they can start judging her when last season everyone was amazed by her!

One seasons doesn't define someones talent!!

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
I feel really bad for Yulia. I don't even care for Yulia's skating but can you really watch that skate and not have a heart for the girl. I personally hated the Olympics. There was so much inflation for both Russian girls and maybe that's why there's so much backlash. I don't know but the last time Yulia had a bad season she thought about quitting and after machida I don't really want anymore people quitting yet. It feels weird taking up for a skater that I'm not a fan of. The last time that happened I found myself rooting for Ashley and have been ever since.

I felt sorry for her a lot. During the Olympics and this season too. But one thing must happen: she must toughen up. If she doesn't then she will be a one season sensation. She showed she is very vulnerable mentally. During her RN I didn't care about her falls, but I saw her mental weakness. She didn't fight, she didn't try. She was going to jumps, and then she already assumed she would fall prior to the jump, and then she fell right down without even trying to save it. She reminded me of Homer Simpson trying to jump over the canyon or a black hole: fall right into it without even attempting to make it.
Yulia can't handle a pressure, she can't handle expectations. Well, if she can't then she is done. It would be bad, as her style and class was really inspiring. But again: Sasha Cohen was equally inspiring. I also loved Alissa Czisny, who never deliver either.
Yulia will not be the only one...

--

minze

Medalist
^^^^^
And Sasha cohen delivered. Olympic silver medalist. Not winning olympic gold does not mean someone's career was not sucessfull.

To me, if anyone in the Team Event is worthy of being called Olympic champion, it's Yulia.

:rock: She skated her heart out and became the belle of the ball. :love: OK, so this year she turned into a pumpkin. I've still got a glass slipper I want to try on her foot in the next couple of years.

Manitou said:
She reminded me of Homer Simpson trying to jump over the canyon…

Oh no! Homer was riding high…until he wasn't.

http://ib2.huluim.com/video/10009597?region=US&size=600x400

Manitou

Medalist
^^^^^
And Sasha cohen delivered. Olympic silver medalist. Not winning olympic gold does not mean someone's career was not sucessfull.

Then from this standpoint Yulia is accomplished too, so she can retire now and live happily ever after.
So there is no reason to even discuss Yulia. Nothing to talk about at all.

--