2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24 | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Ladies FS Oct 24

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Another thing I was thinking about. Evgenia did two 3-3s in her program. I can't remember the last time I saw that; mostly women do at least one 2A-3T.

Do 3__+1Lo+3S combos not count?

Also, junior ladies do two 3-3s in the long regularly (some of which are ratified 3__+3Lo combos no less), so I guess you're only referring to the senior competitions.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, junior ladies do two 3-3s in the long regularly (some of which are ratified 3__+3lo combos no less), so I guess you're only referring to the senior competitions.

I totally consider 3S series as 3-3 combos. It's not an actual 3X+3X combo, but it's still a 3 jump combo that included two triple jumps in it.

I'm impressed by Turzynbaeva. As far as I know she's done 3Z+3T, 3F+3T, 3L+3T, 3S+3T, and 2A+3T. I think she just wants to keep surprising the judges with her layouts. :laugh:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Also, junior ladies do two 3-3s in the long regularly (some of which are ratified 3Lz+3Lo combos no less), so I guess you're only referring to the senior competitions.

Yeah. It's sad that these 13 and 14 year olds do tricks that seniors can't.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I'm impressed by Turzynbaeva. As far as I know she's done 3Z+3T, 3F+3T, 3L+3T, 3S+3T, and 2A+3T. I think she just wants to keep surprising the judges with her layouts. :laugh:

No 3T-3T. She better get to work on that super, super difficult jump combo.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't really mind 3-1-3s combos but they look so dumpy to me. If I had it my way the BV of the 1lo would count against the combo :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Don't really mind 3-1-3s combos but they look so dumpy to me. If I had it my way the BV of the 1lo would count against the combo :laugh:

LOL, they only look dumpy with certain skaters (like Chartrand, and sometimes Pogorilaya) when they don't make it look rhythmic. As Johnny Weir put it, it should look like skipping stones.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
LOL, they only look dumpy with certain skaters (like Chartrand, and sometimes Pogorilaya) when they don't make it look rhythmic. As Johnny Weir put it, it should look like skipping stones.

Yeah I really want to see what it looks like from Mao, who reportedly has been training it but isn't putting it into this year's program. Seeing how light and "bouncy" her salchow has looked lately, I'd imagine the combo to look quite pleasant.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Satoko :love: She's lovely
I'm sorry for the fall, but it was a beautiful performance anyway

Really? I felt like her movement in general wasn't as good as JO by quite a margin.

I agree... graceful and delicate movements as usual, but notice how she only got level 2 for her step sequence (she got a level 3 at SLC and level 4 at JO). Tara may be on to something? :think:

Krunchii

Record Breaker

Karen Chen and Mariah Bell did 2A-1Lo-3S in this competition, I thought they did great, Anna P and Alaine's are just not good but I don't think they'll give it up, especially Anna since her layout nets her so much TES

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
There's no scoring benefit for ladies to do 3-1-3 combos instead of 3-3. Only reason to do it is if you're not consistent with +3Toe or if you for some reason find it difficult to do +2Toe+2Loop combos.

Radionova and Pogorilaya would be better off with 3Loop+3Toe, their 3Loop+half loop+3Sal combos are awkward and pointless. You literally have a higher base value with 3Loop+3Toe and 3Sal+2Toe+2Loop than you do with 3Loop+1Loop+3Sal and 3Loop+2Toe. It's not just an aesthetic thing I'm talking about here.

Rochette and Bonaly had the best 3-1-3 combos. Lipinski doing it at the very end of her Olympic program was epic. It wasn't just a point-getting move. It had purpose.

usethis2

Medalist
I really dislike 3-1-3 combos regardless of who does it. 10 out of 10 casual viewers will say the skater made a mistake after seeing one.

The level of performance tonight was nowhere near as last night's, with the exception of Ms. Gold's. And Ms. Myahara maybe but she was short on stamina (conditioning problem?) and that affected her already tight jumps. Gold was a bit stiff but focused and determined, and I liked that. That is a champion's attitude.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
I love how Evegnia pays so much attention to interpreting her music (unlike Gracie). She has the potential to be a real artist. There's something very Russian about her aesthetic that makes me think of the Bolshoi ballet and Russian classical music. Her jumps do have me worried bc they're so labored. Eteri's female skaters don't have great jumps.

Outside of Gracie Gold's jumps, her skating leaves me unimpressed. There's very little of an artist in her. When she was doing all the Firebird arm motions, I felt like she had no idea what the purpose was and was just was moving her arms bc someone told her to move them like that. It's so irritating how she's being shoved down everyone's throats bc US is so desperate for a medal winner.

Satoko is just a delight to watch. Her lines, interpretation, and refinement are superior to any of the ladies currently skating except for Asada.

Best LP is Soyoun Park's Red Violin.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry, I should clarify, I personally would have placed Gold ahead of Medvedeva in the freeskate. Overall Medvedeva definitely deserved to win. And I agree, her speed is quite good and maintained throughout. I'm surprised though that she's getting 67 PCS right from the get-go -- I don't think any female skater has gotten PCS that high in their Grand Prix debut (feel free to correct me).
Gracie did win the free skate, didn't she? Personally, Gracie's skate didn't do that much for me. I wish Satoko had skated clean. I liked her program the best.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I love how Evegnia pays so much attention to interpreting her music (unlike Gracie). She has the potential to be a real artist. There's something very Russian about her aesthetic that makes me think of the Bolshoi ballet and Russian classical music. Her jumps do have me worried bc they're so labored. Eteri's female skaters don't have great jumps.

Outside of Gracie Gold's jumps, her skating leaves me unimpressed. There's very little of an artist in her. When she was doing all the Firebird arm motions, I felt like she had no idea what the purpose was and was just was moving her arms bc someone told her to move them like that. It's so irritating how she's being shoved down everyone's throats bc US is so desperate for a medal winner.

Satoko is just a delight to watch. Her lines, interpretation, and refinement are superior to any of the ladies currently skating except for Asada.

Best LP is Soyoun Park's Red Violin.

Pretty much my thoughts except I think Gracie has good spins and good SS, overall if you look at technical elements she's quite sound but artistry wise is meh. Evgenia being an artist I can't tell, she's only ok but I'm not sold

I like So Youn's LP best too, too bad she had an off day, I wish we could see something like 2014 Worlds again from her

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
I thought Evegenia's jumps were good but I did not get the sense that she was skating to the audience, more for herself. Frankly, I was bored with her performance half way. I appreciate she is young phenom but don't see the developed package yet. I thought Gracie's performance was quite good. One mistake on the last flip but, overall, captivating. I am not stunned by the results but thought Gracie deserved the gold.