2015 Skate America Mens FS Oct 24 | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Mens FS Oct 24

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Judges are not supposed to use SS/Transitions/Choreography/Interpretation?

I assume you are aware that each of the components has certain criteria the judges are supposed to look at and use in determining their score. They do not include "not very good" skating skills, "no" transitions, "terrible" choreography or "inexistent" [sic] interpretation.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Won fair and square, perhaps yes. Thank goodness for his good jumps because that's really all there is. Though I see the improvement and good for him. And it's not "diminishing" to say superior skaters make mistakes that allow lesser skaters to medal or win. He may medal at TEB (and if he does, that's great) but it would be because of Denis' poor condition, or a poor showing from Patrick and Shoma (who are all there vastly superior skaters). This isn't diminishing. It's just the truth, although people tend to find "clarity" abrasive or rude or negative.

Shoma is "vastly superior?" Isn't is a little soon to be putting him in the same category as Patrick Chan? He is very, very good and shows a lot of potential but he did falter in the short program here and his jumps in the long were a little shaky. Let's give him a chance to develop before crowning him the next king.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there is way more home cooking at Skate Canada than ever was in Skate America. I also think that the Americans who medaled, deserved them and the Judges got it right. I also am tired of those who make a past time of picking apart the Skaters who won because it was not their favoite, ie Gracie and Max.

I agree. Like Jason is my favorite of the men that competed at Skate America. But it was totally fair that Shoma and Max beat him as they have a harder arsenal of jumps than Jason/more consistent arsenal of jumps. I'm just happy Jason medaled and made a comeback in the FP. To me, it honestly doesn't matter if my fave wins or not. For me, I hope a medal for them and if they win, that would be exciting. But doing well is what matters the most to me. Like sure I was a PINCH sad with Jason's SP results, but it was fair. And I knew he could come back in the FP. And he did!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I also think for a long time Max has been snubbed by the judges, but people need to stop complaining about his win, because he clearly delivered two technically superb programs, whereas none of his competitors did, and this is first and foremost a sport.

Shoma made 1 big mistake in this competition, falling on his quad in the SP, and 1 small mistake - a shaky landing on his 3Axel+3Toe.

Max made 3 moderate mistakes - doubling a 3Toe in the LP, only doing only a 2Axel instead of a 3Flip, and nearly falling on his double axel.

Ultimately, the technical content Max showed across both programs was barely better than what Shoma showed. His spins and footwork were inferior and his jumping not a huge deal better. So then it comes down to PCS...in which Shoma was obviously better.

This competition was very much like 2006 Worlds, with Joubert vs Lambiel. Thankfully, Lambiel deservedly won that one. If Joubert had been reigning world champ and Lambiel had been a "nobody", the scoring wouldn't have gone that way. It's so fortunate that Lambiel was able to nab that 2005 World title, it helped so much with his confidence and made the judges recognize his talent more.

After this season, Shoma will no doubt be considered one of the best skaters in the world and Max Aaron will be considered a middle of the pack skater. Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi and Max Aaron is, like, a more consistent Kevin Van Der Perren with less interesting artistry.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wouldn't say he "kicked booty patooty". A win is a win...but if you really want to get down to it and go there, he won because Shoma effectively let him.

Hahaha oh my goodness that is the funniest thing to come out of you.

I'm guessing Shoma deliberately fell in the SP and didn't land his jumps as cleanly as he could in the SP, so Max could win? How kind of him!

And if Shoma had been given the win by the judges, we could say Max "let him win" by messing up the 2A?

:rolleye: X 10000000

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also LMAOOOOOO at BoP's endless seething. Probably still upset Pitkeev didn't win the SP with 90+ points. :laugh:

Also, other than the SP fall, Shoma made more than one mistake in his FS - his step sequence was a level 2 in the FS, combo spin was a level 2 (in both segments), he had a shaky landing on his series resulting in a loss of GOE points (although the GOE was rather generous given the flip landing), his opening quad had a shaky landing (loss of GOE). And with a loss by 1.5 points it's pretty evident that Uno's small errors caught up to him, and denied him the win.

Also LMAO for saying Max made an "error" by going for a 2A instead of a 3F. As if you couldn't try any harder. :laugh:

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Also Shoma made more than one mistake - his step sequence was a level 2

Level 2 step sequence with +2 GOE is worth more than Level 3 step sequence with 0 GOE, which is how those elements should have have graded. The level call was maybe not even correct to begin with but I'm not going to go through both step sequences and look because it really doesn't matter in this case, Shoma won regardless.

Also, in the SP, Max's footwork sequence was scored higher than Shoma's (same level). That's hilarious and wrong.

Also LMAO for saying Max made an "error" by going for a 2A instead of a 3F. As if you couldn't try any harder. :laugh:

Call it whatever you want. The fact is he chose to do an easier element (because he can't do a correct-edge Flip) that costs him 2.2+ points in comparison to Shoma's jump layout.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh okay, then are you gonna concede that part of the reasonChan deserved to win 2012 Worlds because Takahashi chose to do an easier element (I guess a lutz) than a second quad... Which cost him 4-5 points? :sarcasm: #mostrhetoricalquestionever

How exactly is it an "error" to go for a 2A instead of get dinged for what you yourself acknowledged would have been a lip (dropping it to practically the BV of a double axel with -GOE)?!

Also LMAO at saying that Uno still got the higher points on his step sequence but refusing to acknowledge that having a lower level was an error... And also suggesting that the level was wrong but can't even be bothered to go back to verify. :laugh:

Please keep going and tell us what else you found wrong with this result. :popcorn:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always want peanut butter after watching SA because of the JIF logo on the boards :yes:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Goodness the bickering in this thread. At the end of the day Max won the competition and
Shoma won the free skate. The ongoing nitpicking against Max and Shoma
is getting old, just saying....

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Copying your comment from the TV thread, Sam-S:

Jason's Sparkles are making my TV look all tingly :laugh:

Agree that the sparkles on Jason's costume look a lot sparklier on TV. :shocked:

And I can see on TV that Han Yan's costume has subtle sparkles, which I hadn't noticed at all on my computer screen :hopelessness:.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just love Adian Pitkeev!!! Deal with it :p Hopefully he just keeps improving and developing. One of my favorite guys!

Franklin99

Medalist
WOW!!!! Shoma is more amazing looking on a big screen tv. I can't wait to see himskate 100% clean.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Hahaha oh my goodness that is the funniest thing to come out of you.

:rolleye: X 10000000

Also LMAOOOOOO at BoP's endless seething. Probably still upset Pitkeev didn't win the SP with 90+ points. :laugh:

Also LMAO at saying that Uno still got the higher points on his step sequence but refusing to acknowledge that having a lower level was an error... And also suggesting that the level was wrong but can't even be bothered to go back to verify. :laugh:

Please keep going and tell us what else you found wrong with this result. :popcorn:

At least when BoP posts, they are being completely serious. Your replies are just getting snarkier & snarkier.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I just love Adian Pitkeev!!! Deal with it :p Hopefully he just keeps improving and developing. One of my favorite guys!

He's one of my favourite up and comers but he still needs to improve his posture (he leans forward a lot, and not just on his jumps) and needs better projection to the audience, as well as more speed. His footwork makes it apparent too that he needs to work on the depth of his edges. I liked his programs more last year but the potential is there. While Shoma looks like he belongs on the senior scene, Adian's skating still looked rather juniorish.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WOW!!!! Shoma is more amazing looking on a big screen tv. I can't wait to see himskate 100% clean.
Yessss!!!!!

I like how he holds out his landings no matter how he comes in for it. Great program!! My first time seeing him. :yay:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
At least when BoP posts, they are being completely serious. Your replies are just getting snarkier & snarkier.

Sorry when people are snarky and try to trivialize other skaters' achievements, I have a tendency to outsnark them. Although some posters are clearly more easily outsnarked than others. ;)

And I can't help but laugh or be flippant when bashers are such try-hards at attempting to bring down hardworking skaters.

Last edited: