2015 Skate America Mens FS Oct 24 | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America Mens FS Oct 24

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... After this season, Shoma will no doubt be considered one of the best skaters in the world ... Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi ...

At least when BoP posts, they are being completely serious. ...

I would note that whether Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi is a vastly different topic from whether Shoma's SP and FS in Milwaukee should have won him the gold at 2015 Skate America. Some of us were discussing the latter.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh okay, then are you gonna concede that part of the reason Chan deserved to win 2012 Worlds because Takahashi chose to do an easier element (I guess a lutz) than a second quad... Which cost him 4-5 points?

Chan didn't deserve to win 2012 Worlds and Takahashi didn't need a second Quad, he had a second Triple Axel, of which Chan only had one. Chan's planned base value for his program was only 2.3 points higher and he doubled a jump (which automatically dropped his overall value a bit lower from that alone), and messed up a spin, AND then completely failed on his Double Axel (falling on the takeoff), which cost him an additional 5 points. Chan was inferior to Takahashi both technically and in PCS at that competition.

How exactly is it an "error" to go for a 2A instead of get dinged for what you yourself acknowledged would have been a lip (dropping it to practically the BV of a double axel with -GOE)?!

Everything is worth something. Not including something is the same as making a mistake on something, when you look at the points. I'm looking at the performances and the points they deserve and you should too. Again, "call" it whatever you want that Max doesn't do a 3Flip. The fact is both of his programs were easier than Shoma's and his overall skating quality is inferior as well.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On TV....Max with long hair kinda looks like Severus Snape :cool:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
TAKE THAT BACK :cry:

I'm sorry. I like Max with his short hair. He did a benefit event and took a picture with one of our youngest up and coming skaters and he looked cool as anyone and the picture looks great up on the wall at our rink :yes:

He even took a few photos with his hat backwards!

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Let Max have his time in the light...the way Shoma is going, he's probably going to be raking in the medals for years to come. It was a close silver this time, but if he is consistent his scores will go through the roof.
I'm content that Max got the gold this time, it will give Shoma something to challenge at TEB where the field is even stronger.
Go Max, Go Shoma!

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ohh...Tara's feeling it!! :yay: I can agree with her too :thumbsup: Max is on it and he's outsmarting CoP along the way with that 3t :clap:

Franklin99

Medalist
Let Max have his time in the light...the way Shoma is going, he's probably going to be raking in the medals for years to come. It was a close silver this time, but if he is consistent his scores will go through the roof.
I'm content that Max got the gold this time, it will give Shoma something to challenge at TEB where the field is even stronger.
Go Max, Go Shoma!

I agree. This may be Max's best year, and USA needs a strong contender against the rest of the field who is able to do quads and 3As (and Jason is weak in both ATM). And Shoma is the next best thing for the future of men's FS, as long as there aren't any injuries in the future. #knockonwood

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
How was his SP easier than Shoma's when he did a harder quad, a quad-triple at that, and Shoma failed to land his quad?

The FS, Shoma certainly had the harder layout but it wasn't like Max had a cake walk with two (harder) quads, two triple axels, and a harder (and better executed) 3-jump series compared to Uno.

Also you said earlier that Max doubled a triple toe... where was that? If he had done a triple toe as part of either of his opening 2 combos his planned 3T later on would have been Zayaked. And as mentioned, a 3F(e) wouldn't have scored more than a clean 2A so it's not an error when you play to your strength and avoid weaknesses, and execute planned content. So two "errors" you suggested weren't even errors at all.

And then you fail to mention other errors Uno made like the shaky quad landing (while a clean opening quad would have won it for him probably), and level 2's.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I would note that whether Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi is a vastly different topic from whether Shoma's SP and FS in Milwaukee should have won him the gold at 2015 Skate America. Some of us were discussing the latter.

I don't doubt BoP is being serious when s/he says they believe Shoma can be one of the best skaters in the world next season (I believe he will rise to the top as well) & regarding him being the "next" Takahashi, that is not just BoP's opinion, but a comparison that has been brought up for a while now. While Shoma's potential abilities aren't really the heart of the matter here, I don't understand how that is an example of BoP being not serious. :confused:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From this moment forward I'm calling Skate America the Peanut Butter Open.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't doubt BoP is being serious when s/he says they believe Shoma can be one of the best skaters in the world next season (I believe he will rise to the top as well) & regarding him being the "next" Takahashi, that is not just BoP's opinion, but a comparison that has been brought up for a while now. While Shoma's potential abilities aren't really the heart of the matter here, I don't understand how that is an example of BoP being not serious. :confused:

I was not saying that it was an example of Blades not being serious.

You missed my point: What I did and do not like is that part of Blades' case that Shoma should have won the 2015 Skate America gold was a general assessment that Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi.

Even if Shoma were a bona fide biological clone of Takahashi, it would not mean that Shoma's SP and FS as skated in Milwaukee should have won the 2015 Skate America gold.

A competition should be won by the athlete's performance at the actual competition.

So IMO, Blades is not innocent when it comes to stirring up the pot in ways that are unnecessary.

Last edited:

ks777

Record Breaker
I just love how fast Shoma is skating. especially he is fast in and out of jumps. He kinda reminds me of Michelle Kwan.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I was not saying that it was an example of Blades not being serious.

You missed my point: What I did and do not like is that part of Blades' case that Shoma should have won the 2015 Skate America gold was a general assessment that Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi.

Even if Shoma were a bona fide biological clone of Takahashi, it would not mean that Shoma's SP and FS should have won the 2015 Skate America gold.

A competition should be won by the athlete's performance at the actual competition.

Okay, well what you quoted exactly was

... After this season, Shoma will no doubt be considered one of the best skaters in the world ... Shoma is a next-generation Takahashi ...

At least when BoP posts, they are being completely serious. ...

so, I am not sure how I could have understood your point. I did not say I agreed with BoP's posts, just that when they do post, at least they are being serious. You quoted me saying exactly that. Not sure how I was supposed to interpret your post otherwise.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Okay, well what you quoted exactly was

so, I am not sure how I could have understood your point. I did not say I agreed with BoP's posts, just that when they do post, at least they are being serious. You quoted me saying exactly that. Not sure how I was supposed to interpret your post otherwise.

I edited my post above, and will repeat here what I added:

"So IMO, Blades is not innocent when it comes to stirring up the pot in ways that are unnecessary."

Your opinion seems to be that Blades' posts were nothing but constructive. And I disagree.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Just for the record, I agree with a few points of both sides & prefer to not debate this particular outcome because I think the podium's fine. The reason I bothered commenting at all is because I thought the debate was turning more into a sarcastic banter.

:hijacked: