2015 Skate Canada Gala Exhibition | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate Canada Gala Exhibition

Merjan

On the Ice
I haven't watched any other performances yet as the Gala was at night here... but I had to wake up at 6.40 a.m. to watch Yuzuru's performance before going to work. And I love it. I could watch him all day.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Very peculiar that Nam was not in the exhibition. Host country Grand Prix. Reigning National Champion with a Canadian coach and Canada-based training center. Haven't had my ear to the network on this one. If anyone knows why ... odd.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I just watched Yuzuru's sc EX, he really has poor posture (the hunched back:palmf:), I can see that he wanna channel those classical style and emote like Patrick, J_Butt or even Nathan Chen. But he felt awkward there. Those moves seems not his yet. I rather prefer the rawness in his previous skating, which felt much more natural and organic. Yuzuru definitely bulked up a little as well.
Yuzuru's skating skills also give me similar feelings. it is sorta fragmented, You can see parts that reflected Tracy's SS training, well, others not so much.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I never thought I'd hear of Patrick and Nathan Chen being role models of emoting...well, at least there are enough styles in skating to suit everyone. :peace:

Loved the EX and the merman costume is growing on me too, like seaweed.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I just watched Yuzuru's sc EX, he really has poor posture (the hunched back:palmf:), I can see that he wanna channel those classical style and emote like Patrick, J_Butt or even Nathan Chen. But he felt awkward there. Those moves seems not his yet. I rather prefer the rawness in his previous skating, which felt much more natural and organic. Yuzuru definitely bulked up a little as well.
Yuzuru's skating skills also give me similar feelings. it is sorta fragmented, You can see parts that reflected Tracy's SS training, well, others not so much.

Yes, his exhibition interpretation and feeling is "put on" even though it's dedicated to the survivors and victims of the earthquake/tsunami...which he could've DIED in. Nathan Chen mentioned in conjunction with Buttle and Chan? That's ridiculous...

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Yes, his exhibition interpretation and feeling is "put on" even though it's dedicated to the survivors and victims of the earthquake/tsunami...which he could've DIED in. Nathan Chen mentioned in conjunction with Buttle and Chan? That's ridiculous...
I dont aware the background of the performance is dedicated to survivors/victims of earthquake/tsunami. Just watched, it give my this "put on" vibe like you said in terms of music interpretation. Nathan had given some really good classic EX performances that is quite similar to J_butt and Patrick before, which I had some impression, thus the mention here.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I never thought I'd hear of Patrick and Nathan Chen being role models of emoting...well, at least there are enough styles in skating to suit everyone. :peace:

Loved the EX and the merman costume is growing on me too, like seaweed.

My point is that in Yuzuru's this EX I felt his emoting is not natural, put-on like others mentioned and a bit one dimensional.
Also, I am always not a fan of over-the-top emoting, I like appropriate emoting according to music. for example, Yuzuru himself's SEIMEI practice stsq emoting/performance.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
:laugh15:...
that ex is dedicated to Earthquake victims and the music is not even classical music, it was written by a Japanese composer who dedicated the music for the Earthquake victims. :dumb:
Channel classical style and emote like Patrick? How pretentious some fans can be. :whack:

My point is that in Yuzuru's this EX I felt his emoting is not natural, put-on like others mentioned and a bit one dimensional.
Also, I am always not a fan of over-the-top emoting, I like appropriate emoting according to music. for example, Yuzuru himself's SEIMEI practice stsq emoting/performance.
:gclap: of course it's not natural because he is not your Patrick.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

MAXwagg was being sarcastic, I think.

But as for the emotion...I have seen this EX quite a few times since he chose the music himself in the summer shows.
I can't make you like it if you don't, but the music is not classical, it is more amorphous which is what his choreographer, Kenji and himself chose to go with. If you watch the other shows you will see that it's almost like he's free-styling and each time, the choreography is different, he is changing it himself as he goes along, according to what he feels at the time.

But it's ok if you don't 'feel' it cause it doesn't lessen the enjoyment and understanding others are getting from this program.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
:laugh15:... that ex is dedicated to Earthquake victims and the music is not even classical music, it was written by a Japanese composer who dedicated the music for the Earthquake victims. :dumb:
Channel classical style and emote like Patrick? How pretentious some fans can be. :whack:

I knew you are hinting I am a Yuzuru hater here, but I am actually just give my impression of his EX, which is a little related to the SS topic here. Just as a spectator. I have no interest whatsoever regarding fans or haters or pretentious or not.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I knew you are hinting I am a Yuzuru hater here, but I am actually just give my impression of his EX, which is a little related to the SS topic here. Just as a spectator. I have no interest whatsoever regarding fans or haters or pretentious or not.
:laugh2: I am not hinting anything seriously. :laugh15: I think some fans should think twice before hinting "this is copy from Patrick" etc. You are not educated about it then you should not talk about it. Period.

PS: Anyone who knows classical music knows that the music Yuzuru is using is not classical music. :roll5: No need to google. Some can tell which music piece is from Baroque period or from Classical period just by listening to it without knowing the name of it. :dance2:

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
MAXwagg was being sarcastic, I think.

But as for the emotion...I have seen this EX quite a few times since he chose the music himself in the summer shows.
I can't make you like it if you don't, but the music is not classical, it is more amorphous which is what his choreographer, Kenji and himself chose to go with. If you watch the other shows (you probably won't) you will see that it's almost like he's free-styling and each time, the choreography is different, he is changing it himself as he goes along, according to what he feels at the time.

But it's ok if you don't 'feel' it cause it doesn't lessen the enjoyment and understanding others are getting from this program.
to use the word classic might be not appropriate, but I hope you get what I mean here(if not that is also fine), that EX I think I have watched it once during the summer shows. it also give me a bit over-the-top feeling, this is perhaps my second time watch it. just said my very honest opinion. Okay I will not use Patrick here, it might be a little too sensitive, just imagine Dai do it. Once again, I have nothing against Yuzuru, his EX is the first EX that I clicked to watch among all EXs at SC, Just an honest opinion.
Also, in my heart, I kinda dont wanna Yuzuru's artistry develop towards this over-emoting route. that is a gut feeling that I had during summer time, after watching some of his shows.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
:laugh2: I am not hinting anything seriously. :laugh15: I think some fans should think twice before hinting "this is copy from Patrick" etc. You are not educated about it then you should not talk about it. Period.

PS: Anyone who knows classical music knows that the music Yuzuru is using is not classical music. :roll5: No need to google. Some can tell which music piece is from Baroque period or from Classical period just by listening to it without knowing the name of it. :dance2:

:dance2:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
to use the word classic might be not appropriate, but I hope you get what I mean here(if not that is also fine), that EX I think I have watched it once during the summer shows. it also give me a bit over-the-top feeling, this is perhaps my second time watch it. just said my very honest opinion. Okay I will not use Patrick here, it might be a little too sensitive, just imagine Dai do it. Once again, I have nothing against Yuzuru, his EX is the first EX that I clicked to watch among all EXs at SC, Just an honest opinion.
Also, in my heart, I kinda dont wanna Yuzuru's artistry develop towards this over-emoting route. that is a gut feeling that I had during summer time, after watching some of his shows.

I can imagine Dai doing this...frills and all...and he would put OTT emotion into it too. -That was Dai's style all the way. You must have seen his Kissing You EX. Over the top, but very heart-felt.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Again, honest opinion is that: "I think he copies Patrick/Dai's style"
:laugh2:
Tell me what is Patrick's style, skating to classical music? Do you know how limited his range of classical music is? I can give you a thousand musical pieces in classical music that Patrick has not used.
So once Yuzuru skate to anything that you think "sounds like classical music" (which it's not classical music), you think it's "the same style as Patrick"?:gclap:
What is Dai's style? Anyone has eyes know Dai and Yuzuru's style are vastly different, even their skating styles. Also a Dai's fan here, I am laughing at the idea of people saying Yuzuru copying Dai's style. :angry2: I am sure Dai will laugh at the idea too.

In short, I love watching all of them. Patrick, Dai, Yuzuru. They have so much different styles you can't compare. I never see anything Patrick like in Yuzuru's skating and vice versa. The same with Dai. Their style of skating and movements are so much different.

Last edited:

unico

Final Flight
"Over-emoting" dedicated to the victims of one the greatest natural disasters that Japan has ever faced, and one that Hanyu had to deal with directly? I wish I could close off my heart and coldly brush it off as "poor posture" and "one-dimensional" or "this is related to skating skills" or "trying too hard to be x, y, z skaters" when this is a program of the soul. It's not about figure skating as a judged sport, it's about using a time and a space as a means to communicate.

Watch with an open heart, maybe what you see is not a reflection of what's there, but a reflection of the one who is seeing. It's not a matter of enjoying per se, but of respecting the validity of someone's emotions. If someone is hurting, no one can say they're "hurting the wrong way", it just is what it is.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Tell me what is Patrick's style, skating to classical music? Do you know how limited his range of classical music is? I can give you a thousand musical pieces in classical music that Patrick has not used.
So once Yuzuru skate to anything that you think "sounds like classical music" (which it's not classical music), you think it's "the same style as Patrick"?:gclap:
What is Dai's style? Anyone has eyes know Dai and Yuzuru's style are vastly different, even their skating styles. Also a Dai's fan here, I am laughing at the idea of people saying Yuzuru copying Dai's style. :angry2: I am sure Dai will laugh at the idea too.

If you didnot get what I mean (or misunderstand), there is no point to discuss. :dance2: Once again, my post did not imply "copy styles". So no interest with pointless extrapolation.
:dance2: I really like this emoji
to reply others, I dont know the back story of this music, I just watched it, and give an impression.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

In short, I love watching all of them. Patrick, Dai, Yuzuru. They have so much different styles you can't compare. I never see anything Patrick like in Yuzuru's skating and vice versa. The same with Dai. Their style of skating and movements are so much different.
I really can't say Patrick is one dimensional compared to Hanyu. Chan skates well to many types of music and Hanyu likewise - like most skaters they kind of look similar in whatever they do.

Meoima

Match Penalty
If you didnot get what I mean (or misunderstand), there is no point to discuss. :dance2: Once again, my post did not imply "copy styles". So no interest with pointless extrapolation.
:dance2: I really like this emoji

Best response has been posted before your comment.

"Over-emoting" dedicated to the victims of one the greatest natural disasters that Japan has ever faced, and one that Hanyu had to deal with directly? I wish I could close off my heart and coldly brush it off as "poor posture" and "one-dimensional" or "this is related to skating skills" or "trying too hard to be x, y, z skaters" when this is a program of the soul. It's not about figure skating as a judged sport, it's about using a time and a space as a means to communicate.

Watch with an open heart, maybe what you see is not a reflection of what's there, but a reflection of the one who is seeing. It's not a matter of enjoying per se, but of respecting the validity of someone's emotions. If someone is hurting, no one can say they're "hurting the wrong way", it just is what it is.