Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I really liked S/M, wonderful that they can finally compete. :clapper:

Meoima

Match Penalty
In my opinion, Aliona and Bruno's programs need huge adjustment. The LP music is so omg. But knowing how hard it has been for them to compete... I think I will spare them this time for bad programs. Their LP now is still more of showing off the elements other than a true program, however they have so much potential. Go go Aliona and Bruno. That twist omg. They should go for a quad twist.
I hope their throw will become better. The throw is decent, not small.

moriel

Record Breaker
As for programs, i´m pretty sure they will get better ones for next year. As it was unclear they would even compete this season, i´m not surprised they didnt bother much in getting something amazing.
The important thing is, the quality is already there, and once they glue up a little bit more, it will be just incredible overall next season.

tulosai

Record Breaker
As for programs, i´m pretty sure they will get better ones for next year. As it was unclear they would even compete this season, i´m not surprised they didnt bother much in getting something amazing.
The important thing is, the quality is already there, and once they glue up a little bit more, it will be just incredible overall next season.

I don't 100% 'buy' this, because the flip side is that they have had literally 2 years to prepare these programs. Surely they had hope that they'd be able to compete eventually- why not take some of the training time over the past 2 years to actually devote some real time and thought to programs?

moriel

Record Breaker
I don't 100% 'buy' this, because the flip side is that they have had literally 2 years to prepare these programs. Surely they had hope that they'd be able to compete eventually- why not take some of the training time over the past 2 years to actually devote some real time and thought to programs?

Well, they had no clue wherever France would ever release Massot, I don´t think they had tons of money to spend on choreographers etc etc etc.

qwerty

On the Ice
S/M: monotonous music and a not very engaging program BUT glorious elements (besides the two foots) and Aliona is so, so fierce. Hope they reach lots of success this season and can afford a better LP next year ;)

turgon97

On the Ice
S/S and V/T are the best i ever seen.
Now i'm double happy, V/T are back and S/M are on the way to get close what S/S was

Alyona <3

As a side note, i have a feeling they may not go for a quad. Their triple is waaaay to huge, so they would need to probably tweak the technique or something...

With all the easy amplitude they get, they could probably zest up that long wind up for the twist with some connecting steps. It'll look better and boost both the level of the twist to a L4 and improve transitions. I know theres only like a .5pt difference between a level 3 and a level 4 twist, but every point counts, especially if S/H D/R and K/S are going for 2 quads in their programs.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So, I just watched S/M without benefit of music, and it was interesting.

I'm wondering whether anyone but me admires their unison. Most of the remarks here refer to their elements. Their programs seem slow and choreo not great to me; but what if they've spent this time on ironing out even the smallest kinks that there must have been in their unison? If that's the case, I think it was time very well spent.

It didn't take V/T nearly this long, but I read that they devoted their early training together to changing their technique to be the same. I've always thought that US pairs should pay much more attention to unison and they should take a page from Russian pairs in that respect; now it seems to me that S/M have taken that approach as well.

It's long-term thinking, IMO, as opposed to "we've got to impress everyone right away."

moriel

Record Breaker

I'm wondering whether anyone but me admires their unison. Most of the remarks here refer to their elements. Their programs seem slow and choreo not great to me; but what if they've spent this time on ironing out even the smallest kinks that there must have been in their unison? If that's the case, I think it was time very well spent.

It didn't take V/T nearly this long, but I read that they devoted their early training together to changing their technique to be the same. I've always thought that US pairs should pay much more attention to unison and they should take a page from Russian pairs in that respect; now it seems to me that S/M have taken that approach as well.

It's long-term thinking, IMO, as opposed to "we've got to impress everyone right away."

Well, S/S was pretty much same "unison" school already, so guess Alyona just kept it =)
And yeah, that is a big deal, specially in sbs spins for example - some pairs just make me cringe by how they manage to *not* rotate together at all. Even some pairs quite close to top sometimes neglect it =/

Meoima

Match Penalty
They don't even have money to invite Aliona's fiancé to come and cheer for them. No shows no money all those months and Aliona didn't even coach. I think they have spent most of their time to develop elements and unison, which is good already.

whatif

Medalist
I wish I could understand S/M's music or programmes. It's good that Aliona managed to sustain her shape and transfer everything she did well with Robin to this new partnership. However my first impression is that all the weaknesses she had in previous partnership also present. Her throws are big but they have often been two-footed in the past as well. Also the skating skills difference is too apparent. Definitely a threat for Euro podium and even title, but I doubt they can do much damage to the Worlds standings, but you never know.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, S/S was pretty much same "unison" school already, so guess Alyona just kept it =)
And yeah, that is a big deal, specially in sbs spins for example - some pairs just make me cringe by how they manage to *not* rotate together at all. Even some pairs quite close to top sometimes neglect it =/

Good point, I didn't mean to imply that Aliona and Robin, and other Europeans, didn't emphasize unison as well. I've noticed it more with the Russians, perhaps, because I first fell in love with FS because of Gordeeva and Grinkov.

I agree with you about some of the pairs spinning; I don't want to look but I can't help looking! But also, what I noticed with S/M today, and have always noticed with my very favorite pairs including V/T, is that when they hold a position in a spiral or other bit of choreography, they have their arms and legs at the same angle, and things like head position and finger extension are synchronized. It just makes everything they do so beautiful.

ETA: Also, I think paying attention to these finer adjustments is better done at the beginning of a new partnership, because then they have the correct new habits from the start.

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty

I think their technique was pretty similar to begin with, other than partner differences in throws/twists...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I truly hope this competition had very generous markings/ scoring because otherwise we might as well just give S and M the next oly gold. The scoring is ridiculous considering the errors and not exactly glowing programs - forget what their strategy is or that they have had two years. The scores were very kind, generous if not crazy for this team. Compared to d and r or v and t or s and h, S and M look like the anointed and appointed ones undeservedly.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I truly hope this competition had very generous markings/ scoring because otherwise we might as well just give S and M the next oly gold. The scoring is ridiculous considering the errors and not exactly glowing programs - forget what their strategy is or that they have had two years. The scores were very kind, generous if not crazy for this team. Compared to d and r or v and t or s and h, S and M look like the anointed and appointed ones undeservedly.
LOL it is a small competition with almost no audience. In senior A they will not give out such high scores. I guess judges were trying to pay back for the time they couldn't compete.
Anyway it's great we will see them at bigger stage.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
S/M: monotonous music and a not very engaging program BUT glorious elements (besides the two foots) and Aliona is so, so fierce. Hope they reach lots of success this season and can afford a better LP next year ;)

I think I agree with all of this. I wish they had better FP, it's kinda dissapointing. And yes, scores are very generous.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I was really impressed with the technical content from S/M but I thought the rest of the programme was really empty and there is no way that programme was worth 140+. It was a very generously marked programme (more so than the SP) They have the next few weeks/months to work on that before Euro's so I do expect them to be in the battle for the podium. Again the twist is insane, she is in orbit. Is Ingo still working with them? I think he was setting beside Bruno in the K&C

Bruno was much better than I expected, in the past he never really left impression on me other than the fact that I always thought he wasn't very nice to Popova, but he is now skating with one of the best female pairs skaters in the world and has the possibility of getting on the podium at Euros, Worlds and maybe Olympics. What a turnaround.

I also enjoyed the skate from F/B for Team GB, good to see them come back with two strong skates and two new PB's after their recent difficulties. I also liked the Russian couple, they had very competitive technical content and while the PCS wasn't top class, I do think they were marked a little tough. It will be interesting to see how they place in Russian Nationals, if they have qualified.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I wish I could understand S/M's music or programmes. It's good that Aliona managed to sustain her shape and transfer everything she did well with Robin to this new partnership. However my first impression is that all the weaknesses she had in previous partnership also present. Her throws are big but they have often been two-footed in the past as well. Also the skating skills difference is too apparent. Definitely a threat for Euro podium and even title, but I doubt they can do much damage to the Worlds standings, but you never know.

As a truly die hard fan of Aliona I can't agree with this. With Robin, excepting maybe their first 1-2 years together, had very consistent and well executed throws. Their throw 3F was high and extra consistent and usually gained +2 and + 3 GOE. Their throw 3S, their trademark finish element of LP, was as consistent and as well executed. S/S throws were usually their strong elements, it's the side by side that gave them problems. I won't count their 3A throw as they never quite "had" that jump, it's more of a collection of some attempts better than others. Not wanting to bash, but it's usually V/T who have sometimes problems with two-footed throws (3F usually and sometimes 3S), especially in their first years together.

With Bruno it seems that he throws her a little bit higher and she needs to adjust with it. I do agree 100% on the difference in skating skills.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I am so impressed with Aliona and Brunot. Yeah that program is terrible but THOSE LIFTS! and that TWIST and a fantastic unison.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Thinking of their possible future layout, I'm more than thrilled. :love:

I am not sure 3t3t 2t is very realistic and all quads - the odds of this is very slim I think. I hate it when teams try to suggest something that is unlikely - if this is the case then one would assume, and if they can do it, no one else has a chance. But I