2016-2017 Grand Prix selections | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Grand Prix selections

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm going to reverse engineer the Men's list.

http://static.isu.org/media/345774/gp_men.pdf

First host picks.
USA: Brown, Rippon, TBD (i.e. they kept the spot)
CAN: Chan, Firus, TBD
RUS: Dmitriev, Kolyada, TBD
FRA: Bessinger, Ponsart (they decided not to use the third spot)
CHN: Jin, Han, TBD
JPN: Hanyu, Tanaka, Yamamoto

Okay, I don't know what the draw order is but let's just use the event order

1-3 picks (Fernandez, Hanyu, Jin)
USA: Jin
CAN: Hanyu
RUS: Fernandez
FRA: Fernandez
CHN: (host pick; round skipped)
JPN: (host pick; round skipped)

NOTES: Fernandez as World Champion, had his first pick ---interesting to see -- if previous rules applied, he showed preference to two back-to-back events. Granted it's not a huge time difference, but it's a few hours apart and it is a distance from his training base.

4-6 (Kolyada, Chan, Rippon)
USA: (host pick; round skipped)
CAN: (host pick; round skipped)
RUS: (host pick; round skipped)
FRA: Rippon
CHN: Chan
JPN: Kolyada

7-9 (Uno, Aaron, Brezina)
USA: Uno
CAN: Brezina
RUS: Aaron AND Uno
FRA: None
CHN: Brezna AND Aaron
JPN: None

NOTE: Interesting to see that France and Japan for whatever reason do not have a 7-9 in their ranks, while Canada and China have two. Not sure what might have played out here.

10-12 (Hochstein, Ten, Righini)
USA: Ten
CAN: Hochstein
RUS: none
FRA: Righini AND Ten
CHN: None
JPN: Hochstein AND Righini

NOTE: Okay, so France and Japan got two 10-12 picks to make up not having any 7-9 picks.

Top 24 SB/WS/JGPF winner/Jr.World medalists - (guaranteed one)-- it's hard to say the order of these picks, so listing by SB then WS order
SB
#7 Yan: SC (+ host pick)
#8 Mura: SC, TEB
#12 Murakami: SA, COC
#13 Pitkeev: TEB, NHK
#14 Miner: SC, COC
#15 Dmitriev: TEB (+host pick)
#16 Voronov: SA, COC
#17 Bychenko: RC, NHK
#18 Balde: RC, NHK
#19 Kovtun: SA, COC
#21 Brown: NHK (+ host pick)
#22 Nguyen: SA, NHK

WR
#13 Samohin (also guranteed one via Jr. World medal): SC, COC
#14 Petrov: SC, COC
#22 Ge: SC, TEB

other guaranteed spot
JGPF Champ Chen: TEB and NHK

NOTES: Why no Samarin (RUS, WS #17)? Is he staying Junior? Or no Nick NADEAU, wouldn't he be guaranteed a spot as a Jr. medalist?

Other GP picks outside of SB/WR 24 (can be chosen from SB 75; not including host picks)
SA: Hendrickx (#30) Kerry (#49)
SC: None
RC: Tanaka (#28); Vasiljevs (#37); Bessehigner (#46), Majorov (#56)
TEB: Yamamoto (#31);
COC: None
NHK: None

Substitute list (top 5 SB with zero or one GP)
30: Hendrickx (SA)
32: Kvitelashvili (eligible for host pick in RUS)
35: SAMARIN (he should have received on, not sure of status, eligible for host pick in RUS)
36 NADEAU (he should have received one, not sure of status, eligible for host pick in CAN)
37: VASILJEVS (RC)
--
39: Anton SHULEPOV (eligible for host pick in RUS)
40 Gordei GORSHKOV (eligible for host pick in RUS)
43 Martinez, PHI
44 Dolensky, USA (eligible for host pick in USA)
45 Dornbush, USA (eligible for host pick in USA)

Last edited:

apons575

Rinkside
I know! While I'm also excited for the showdown, for gods sake, why can't they send Gracie elsewhere for once? :( Is she really the poster child of American ladies skating? I get it, she's the national champion, but she got skate America last year not being the national champion, and now we have Ashley who broke the world medal drought.... By default shouldn't that make her the poster child?

Boo-urns.

I think it's just part of the rivalry building up between the girls, and it may bring better ratings! Plus, these two girls have been pushing each other, and they are becoming top contenders for the Olympics podium. After the rough go of the short programs at Nationals this year, it's proof that they both need to compete more. I'm ready for the fireworks!!!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's just part of the rivalry building up between the girls, and it may bring better ratings! Plus, these two girls have been pushing each other, and they are becoming top contenders for the Olympics podium. After the rough go of the short programs at Nationals this year, it's proof that they both need to compete more. I'm ready for the fireworks!!!

I sort of get the vibe that Gracie, Polina, and Ashley don't like each other a whole lot. Is it just me? :drama:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
cool analysis!!!! thanks
I'm going to reverse engineer the Men's list.

http://static.isu.org/media/345774/gp_men.pdf

First host picks.
USA: Brown, Rippon, TBD (i.e. they kept the spot)
CAN: Chan, Firus, TBD
RUS: Dmitriev, Kolyada, TBD
FRA: Bessinger, Ponsart (they decided not to use the third spot)
CHN: Jin, Han, TBD
JPN: Hanyu, Tanaka, Yamamoto

Okay, I don't know what the draw order is but let's just use the event order

1-3 picks (Fernandez, Hanyu, Jin)
USA: Jin
CAN: Hanyu
RUS: Fernandez
FRA: Fernandez
CHN: (host pick; round skipped)
JPN: (host pick; round skipped)

NOTES: Fernandez as World Champion, had his first pick ---interesting to see -- if previous rules applied, he showed preference to two back-to-back events. Granted it's not a huge time difference, but it's a few hours apart and it is a distance from his training base.

4-6 (Kolyada, Chan, Rippon)
USA: (host pick; round skipped)
CAN: (host pick; round skipped)
RUS: (host pick; round skipped)
FRA: Rippon
CHN: Chan
JPN: Kolyada

7-9 (Uno, Aaron, Brezina)
USA: Uno
CAN: Brezina
RUS: Aaron AND Uno
FRA: None
CHN: Brezna AND Aaron
JPN: None

NOTE: Interesting to see that France and Japan for whatever reason do not have a 7-9 in their ranks, while Canada and China have two. Not sure what might have played out here.

10-12 (Hochstein, Ten, Righini)
USA: Ten
CAN: Hochstein
RUS: none
FRA: Righini AND Ten
CHN: None
JPN: Hochstein AND Righini

NOTE: Okay, so France and Japan got two 10-12 picks to make up not having any 7-9 picks.

Top 24 SB/WS/JGPF winner/Jr.World medalists - (guaranteed one)-- it's hard to say the order of these picks, so listing by SB then WS order
SB
#7 Yan: SC (+ host pick)
#8 Mura: SC, TEB
#12 Murakami: SA, COC
#13 Pitkeev: TEB, NHK
#14 Miner: SC, COC
#15 Dmitriev: TEB (+host pick)
#16 Voronov: SA, COC
#17 Bychenko: RC, NHK
#18 Balde: RC, NHK
#19 Kovtun: SA, COC
#21 Brown: NHK (+ host pick)
#22 Nguyen: SA, NHK

WR
#13 Samohin (also guranteed one via Jr. World medal): SC, COC
#14 Petrov: SC, COC
#22 Ge: SC, TEB

other guaranteed spot
JGPF Champ Chen: TEB and NHK

NOTES: Why no Samarin (RUS, WS #17)? Is he staying Junior? Or no Nick NADEAU, wouldn't he be guaranteed a spot as a Jr. medalist?

Other GP picks outside of SB/WR 24 (can be chosen from SB 75; not including host picks)
SA: Hendrickx (#30) Kerry (#49)
SC: None
RC: Tanaka (#28); Vasiljevs (#37); Bessehigner (#46), Majorov (#56)
TEB: Yamamoto (#31);
COC: None
NHK: None

Substitute list (top 5 SB with zero or one GP)
30: Hendrickx (SA)
32: Kvitelashvili (eligible for host pick in RUS)
35: SAMARIN (he should have received on, not sure of status, eligible for host pick in RUS)
36 NADEAU (he should have received one, not sure of status, eligible for host pick in CAN)
37: VASILJEVS (RC)
--
39: Anton SHULEPOV (eligible for host pick in RUS)
40 Gordei GORSHKOV (eligible for host pick in RUS)
43 Martinez, PHI
44 Dolensky, USA (eligible for host pick in USA)
45 Dornbush, USA (eligible for host pick in USA)

apons575

Rinkside
I sort of get the vibe that Gracie, Polina, and Ashley don't like each other a whole lot. Is it just me? :drama:

Eh, Idk...I see some of the ShibSibs videos and Polina and Gracie seem to be pretty tight....but I think all three have respect for each other, but at the same time, they all want to be #1...so it's a sensitive topic. lol

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Definitely hoping Lipnitskaia can return to her previous level and even exceed it, but that's highly unlikely.

I think her fans might be disappointed to hear this, especially Sam. :sad4: Actually I do feel the same. Hopefully she can prove our predictions incorrect by skating at a highter level than before, otherwise her chances of making the national team by the end of this season will be extremely slim.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Patrik vs. Yuzu no.2 at Skate Canada

P/C vs. V/M at NHK

Ashley vs. Gracie vs. Mao at Skate America

Holy cow

gmyers

Record Breaker
If Trankov wants to retire and volosozhar still wants to compete why don't they just break up already

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I just realized that they put 4 skaters in excatly same events, namely: Michal Brezina, Patrick Chan, Daniel Samohin, Han Yan. They all got SC and CoC. What were the Feds thinking? I'm torn, because I love both Michal and Han :drama:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Got to say, yesterday was filled with high and low emotions. High emotion came from finding out the GP assignments. Low emotion came from knowing that yesterday was the last day a fan favorite of my fave hockey team's (Washington Capitals) last day on that team. Cause he'll be a unrestricted free agent and be going to a new team.

Was I the only one who had a mix of high and low emotion yesterday?

sarama

Medalist
If Trankov wants to retire and volosozhar still wants to compete why don't they just break up already

I think they both still like the idea of competing but coming back after an Olympic gold is more challenging than they probably thought. In addition the pairs field has become way more competitive than a couple of years ago, so they probably just need some time to understand if they can still find the motivation and if they are okay with maybe not medaling at next Olympics

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I think they both still like the idea of competing but coming back after an Olympic gold is more challenging than they probably thought. In addition the pairs field has become way more competitive than a couple of years ago, so they probably just need some time to understand if they can still find the motivation and if they are okay with maybe not medaling at next Olympics
What are you talking about :confused: ? Virtue/Moir are assigned to two GP events and are also planning to probably compete at a B competition before their GPs. Also, they have had several interviews recently, and, although they aknowledge that it's not going to be easy at all, they have not shown any signs of wanting to back down or start their season later. So :scratch2: at your post, really.

Or did you mean Volosozhar/Trankov? If so, you responded to the wrong poster, as Silvia451 talked about Tessa and Scott (mentioning them by names, not by initials or even last names) in the post you quoated.

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
What are you talking about :confused: ? Virtue/Moir are assigned to two GP events and also are planning to probably compete at a B competition before their GPs. Also, they have had several interviews recently, and, although they aknowledge that it's not going to be easy at all, they have not showed any signs of wanting to back down or start their season later. So :scratch2: at your post, really.

I'm super sorry....I quoted you by mistake I was talking about V/T and I have corrected my mistake!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Got to say, yesterday was filled with high and low emotions. High emotion came from finding out the GP assignments. Low emotion came from knowing that yesterday was the last day a fan favorite of my fave hockey team's (Washington Capitals) last day on that team. Cause he'll be a unrestricted free agent and be going to a new team.

Was I the only one who had a mix of high and low emotion yesterday?

No, you aren't. I was super happy because of assignemnts and Radwanska managing to win 2nd Round at Wimbledon. But then Poland lost to Portugal in penalties :( Today I'm slightly angry at some Feds for poor GP choices, but happy that we finally know something :p

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I'm super sorry....I quoted you by mistake I was talking about V/T and I have corrected my mistake!
It was Silvia451 whose post about Tessa and Scott you initially quoted. But it's okay - I also already edited my post, adding a question if you maybe meant Volosozhar/Trankov and just quoted the wrong post.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I just realized that they put 4 skaters in excatly same events, namely: Michal Brezina, Patrick Chan, Daniel Samohin, Han Yan. They all got SC and CoC. What were the Feds thinking? I'm torn, because I love both Michal and Han :drama:

It's actually 6, because Ross Miner and Alexander Petrov are in SC and CoC too. Half the line-up between these 2 events is the same!

Some other 'travel groups':

Jin, Murakami, Kovtun and Voronov (SA & CoC) So basically CoC is like a SA/SC mesh-up :biggrin:
Kolyada, Balde, Tanaka and Bychenko (CoR & NHK)
Righini, Yamamoto, Pitkeev and Chen (TdF & NHK)

Dmitriev and Besseghier share the same back-to-back events with Fernandez, and Rippon & Ten, Nguyen & Brown and Hanyu & Hochstein are sharing the same events too.

Giselle

Medalist
Wow dance is exciting!

I disagree Weaver/Poje were "dumped" by their federation, it's a godd thing for them to avoid Skate Canada!
I wish the 3rd host pick at Skate Canada was TBD so Bent/Razgulajevs or Edwards/Pang could get a chance. I guess Paradis/Ouellette have retired after all.

Dance:
-Who are the Belorussians?

A weak team that are not GP level imho but get's invited to CoR because the have russian coaches :slink:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker

Actually, I think they get along as much as people can when they are directly competing against one another and are of similar skill (though obviously Gold and Wagner are above Polina on that front). In particular, Gold and Daleman helped Nam Nguyen ask Polina out to prom, and Polina and Gracie hung out with each other during Stars on Ice, as evidenced by the Shibs videos and photos on social media. Wagner doesn't seem to dislike the other two either, even if they aren't particularly close or even hang out. Also Rippon seems to cross lines and hangs out with Gracie even though he's BFFs with Ashley.