2016-2017 Grand Prix selections | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 Grand Prix selections

grotesm1

Rinkside
Carolina Kostner didn't get a Grand Prix assignment because she isn't ranked high in the World Standings. Unless you are a "host country pick", you have to have a ranking (I think in the top 40, but I could be wrong on that)to be eligible for a Grand Prix assignment. Rankings are based on results for the last three years, and Carolina has missed those competitions. Juniors who move up to Seniors also are eligible for Grand Prix assignments based on their ranking as a Junior.

Peng, Zhang, Yu and Liu all have rankings in the World Standings, even though with different partners. So they qualify to be picked for a Grand Prix assignment.

sarama

Medalist
Anyone know why Volosozhar and Trankov of Russia didn't get a Grand Prix assignment for Pairs? Was it their choice or do they have an injury that no one is talking about?

They have been very unclear about their future, but I think it was more or less confirmed they were going to skip the GP.

I just realized poor Wang/Wang only have one GP!!!! I think (and hope) they will replace Sui/Han somewhere, but still they totally deserved two (and they deserve a better federation as well).
I'm surprised Valentina/Ondrej got only one assignment, but last season wasn't their best so maybe it'll be a wake up call (no more crazy music cuts and no more last minute Carmens!)

Regarding Carolina Kostner... I think she could have been a 'comeback skater' if she wanted to, but I don't recall her ever saying she wanted to take part in the GP this year (but maybe I'm wrong)

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I was wondering the same thing about the reigning national bronze medalist

Well, though I'm a huge fan, I can see why they didn't pick him:
1. He only did the 4CC and two smaller international competitions last season.
2. The score from the 4CC wasn't very high.
3. One of the smaller international competitions wasn't counted for in world standings I think due to the number of competitors.
4. He only did one international competition in the 2014-2015 season and if you remember the score was not good......
5. Probably as a result for 1-4, he's low on world rankings.

Layback11

Record Breaker
It just occurred to me that I wish GP assignments were announced somewhat like the JGP ones: an initial list for each event, but skaters can be pulled from events and other skaters subbed in if they don't skate well. But keep the seeding so nobody in the top 6 at Worlds gets kicked out of their second assignment.

That would be wicked awesome. :popcorn:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Why are people saying Skate America Ladies is super competitive? I'd say that's actually the weakest field overall. Asada, Wagner, Gold is a nice competition but that's really all there is; none of the most competitive Russian ladies are in the event and there isn't really anyone else at the event with big spoiler potential, at least from what I know at the moment. Skate Canada is maybe the strongest competition to me because you've got the 2 Russians with the highest scoring potentials, 2 top Japanese, the 2 Canadian ladies with the highest scoring potentials, and Mirai Nagasu who could be very competitive if she has continued her upward swing. NHK is also really interesting to me because 10 out of 12 of those Ladies could possibly be very competitive.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Oh no, Yuzuru joining Patrick again at SC. The battle of "who can mess up more?" Round 3 is coming! :drama::biggrin:
This is going to be my main prediction event before the season starts. How are they going to try to hand the gold medal to the other one this time? Zayak, falls, pops? Costume deduction?

Please do well, both of you, but I have no faith left, absolutely none :laugh:

I'm SO happy for Mika getting NHK and Wakabby having 2 GPs. Both of them might do some real damage. OTOH, I'm a bit sad Mao didn't get NHK this time. I get it, but I'm still sad.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why are people saying Skate America Ladies is super competitive? I'd say that's actually the weakest field overall. Asada, Wagner, Gold is a nice competition but that's really all there is; none of the most competitive Russian ladies are in the event and there isn't really anyone else at the event with big spoiler potential, at least from what I know at the moment. Skate Canada is maybe the strongest competition to me because you've got the 2 Russians with the highest scoring potentials, 2 top Japanese, the 2 Canadian ladies with the highest scoring potentials, and Mirai Nagasu who could be very competitive if she has continued her upward swing. NHK is also really interesting to me because 10 out of 12 of those Ladies could possibly be very competitive.

I see your point. I guess most of us are excited for the Ashley/Gracie/Mao showdown. I know! Like I was starting to think of my predictions for all disciplines like 15 minutes ago and some of the ladies events were hard to make. By predictions I meant like who was going to be on the podium.

shyne

Final Flight

Personally I think TEB is just as competitive as SC.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I see your point. I guess most of us are excited for the Ashley/Gracie/Mao showdown. I know! Like I was starting to think of my predictions for all disciplines like 15 minutes ago and some of the ladies events were hard to make. By predictions I meant like who was going to be on the podium.

Uhh, you're forgetting that Gabby Daleman is going to show up and slaughter the competition.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok now that I've turned off my sarcasm button, I'd say the odds of all three of Mao, Ashley and Gracie being on the podium are not high. Seriously. Strange things have been known to happen on the GP circuit, just look at last year, almost everyone's predictions were wrong for every event in every category. Don't forget Julia, she could be in better form as well. And I don't mean to slight Gabby at all, she did very well last year and could also be on the podium as well.

Last edited:

winky97

Medalist
Not a slight against Ashley at all, but it just seems like Gracie always has to be at Skate America.

I forgot she's from Chicago, so in that sense, it's logical. I also suppose it's common to have both the US national 1st and 3rd place finishers at Skate America.

I'm more depressed that Ashley won't be at Skate Canada. :(

C'mon on down to Chicago/Hoffman Estates SA you know you wanna!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am now in an airport. Thoughts! :popcorn:

Ladies:

-SA looks awesome.
-I thought Zhenia would be in Russia...
-I want Sima to get another event.
-Not expecting Mihara to get 2 or Wagner vs. Gold at SA.
-Also wasn't expecting Matsuda to get 2.

Dance:

-M/C and P/P are still juniors. Not expecting that.
-NHK sounds awesome.
-I like that there are more slots.
-Who are the Belorussians?

I was going to discuss men, but I couldn't think of much to say.

I do wonder who are Kim / Minov representing South Korea, I have never heard about them. What are their prospects? I am looking forward impatiently to watch P/C clash with V/M. I can't wait to see what that new rivalry can bring. No assignments for Adelina is quite a bummer.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Uhh, you're forgetting that Gabby Daleman is going to show up and slaughter the competition.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ok now that I've turned off my sarcasm button, I'd say the odds of all three of Mao, Ashley and Gracie being on the podium are not high. Seriously. Strange things have been known to happen on the GP circuit, just look at last year, almost everyone's predictions were wrong for every event in every category. Don't forget Julia, she could be in better form as well. And I don't mean to slight Gabby at all, she did very well last year and could also be on the podium as well.

Yeah. She could definitely be a threat if any of the top 3 (Gracie, Ashley, and Mao) headcase. Especially seeing how well she can do from Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ugh... wow... so intense... i thought last year was epic but this year, it's even worse.... I mean some of the ones we felt were up and coming (boyang, shoma, medvedeva) are already established by now.... WOW.... minefield....

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I do wonder who are Kim & Minov representing South Korea, I have never heard about them.

Rebeka Kim & Kirill Minov have been on the GP for the past two seasons. They are S. Korea's current National Champions and earned a guaranteed spot on the GP with a 17th place World Ranking. Rebeka was born in Lithuania but has Korean citizenship. Kirill was born in Moscow. They train in Moscow. They finished 25th & 26th at the last two World Championships. And, I think significantly, as high as sixth at Junior Worlds. She began as a singles skater & only switched to dance in 2012. They are entertaining. The crowd quite liked them at Worlds, and many of the people sitting close to me were disappointed in their final placement. They are currently in a pitch battle in Korean dance. Lost to two other Korean teams at 4CC's--in part, but not entirely, due to a major spill during the SD.

Min & Gamelin teamed up just last season, training with Shpilband, and finished second at Korean Nationals. Defeated K&M at 4CC's in both the SD and the FD.

Lee & Kam teamed up two seasons ago and are aging up into seniors this season (they competed as both juniors & seniors this past year). They train with Wing & Low in Canada. She has only been in dance for two seasons. And they defeated Kim & Minov in the SD at 4CC's, not the free, but placed ahead of them overall. (I quite love this young team of Lee & Kam).

All three teams earned the Worlds technical minimum last season and finished 8th, 10th, and 11th at Four Continents.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OMG... i think i need to go to skate canada now... i was planning to go to nationals but with this line up.... WOW.

hugo

On the Ice
I was surprised why Sotnikova didn't get any spot, while Artemieva got 1 and Leonova even 2 spots...
Here is the explanation from Alexandr Kogan (RusFed director):
"Сотникова и Волосожар/Траньков не будут участвовать в этапах Гран-при. У них свои планы подготовки, которые согласованы с федерацией"
So, it was her own choice, agreed with RusFed. The same for V/T