2016 Skate America Pairs SP | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Pairs SP

QuadThrow

Medalist
This SP was really nice. I enjoyed it so much.

T/M are where they belong (Even if S/M program is more better). But now I am fan of S/B. so much fun. And I was shocked that they went for the Loop.

All pairs performed something modern. To be honest I missed the classical part a bit. It is time for K/S and S/K.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I feel similar to a lot of posters here. Merv and Marissa surely could have placed second if not for that botched lift. I hope they can figure it out and gain more consistency. I think they actually deserved more points on style, but apparently judges lower PCS when a tech error occurs. They must have lost 5 pts on the failed transition/ botched completion of that lift.

In person, Tarasova/ Morosov are definitely gorgeous to watch. They have great speed and high quality elements. T/M have improved with trying to project more and with choosing better music to help enhance their performance quality. I think their score was a bit high though. I think around 72 or 73 is more in line with the fact they still need to continue working on connecting and projecting.

Seguin/Bilodeau I think are delightful and I enjoyed their sp last season. They are a very good team, but I wasn't that impressed with what they did here. Maybe they were slightly off or something. But it's probably more likely they aren't as comfortable w with this program and music as they need to be.

I feel that James/Cipres outperformed S/B, so I disagreed with J/B being put behind S/B. I root for Denney/Frazier and its wonderful seeing them back. D/F really performed the heck out of their program and it played very well in the arena. A good score for them, and I think they were surprised too, but were also very happy to be rewarded. It is always a crap shoot what judges will decide.

It is unfortunate for C/T and K/O, as they are good teams. To answer @Daniel1998, Tarah is struggling with tendinitis which she spoke about during the IceNetwork SA teleconference. But Tarah isn't using that as an excuse. I wish Tarah and Danny well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This SP was really nice. I enjoyed it so much.

T/M are where they belong (Even if S/M program is more better). But now I am fan of S/B. so much fun. And I was shocked that they went for the Loop.

All pairs performed something modern. To be honest I missed the classical part a bit. It is time for K/S and S/K.

S/B landed their loops at ACI.. it is really cool when it works out...

gold12345

Medalist
In person, Tarasova/Morozov were clearly the class of the field. They don't project extremely well, but seriously, every element was JUST gorgeous. I say this as a huge Seguin/Bilodeau fan.

Yeah Tarasova/Morozov were the standout. The size of their throw 3Lo today was reminiscent of Volosozhar/Trankov. Their combination of athleticism and classic pair technique results in some exceptional looking elements. Their triple twist is fantastic and their lines are lovely. Tarasova seems quite reserved on the ice, but I don't think it's a terrible thing as not everyone has the same personality. While they can work on projecting more and getting more comfortable with programs outside their classical bubble, it's never going to be of more importance than the actual pair skating itself. While I prefer them doing more of a classical program, it's nice that they're pushing themselves to do something outside their comfort zone. I think they did a pretty good job with it.

Meanwhile...how do you solve a problem like Mervissa? They finally get land their SBS jumps and then come down on a lift.

Yeah people harp on their jumps, but I think the biggest issue for them has been the other elements. We know they can do jumps, and it's okay to make jump mistakes- everyone does- but you need to have other strong elements to fall back on. But they have had problems with the throws and sometimes the twist and lifts. They don't have the biggest height difference, which might be adding to the challenge. But that SP lift is usually a good element for them.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wait, people didn't like Tarasova/Morozov's program? I just watched it and I LOVE IT! It's so much fun! And it's the little details, like his head flick as they come out of the death spiral.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A great skate by T/M for a well deserved lead. I loved the twist and throw, also the entry to the death spiral was quite nice. They really have worked this year on the presentation, I still think they have room to improve in that area but it is definitely a step in the right direction. With both of Mozer's other pairs out of the GP, T/M could really come to the fore this season.

I was pleasantly surprised by D/F, nice music and presentation. The US has quite a competitive pairs field, interesting to see who makes their worlds team. A little disappointing for the Canadians, I expected them to be neck and neck with T/M but their programme doesn't match the Russians atm. The French have stepped things up this year, they have potential to get on the Euro podium next year, the hands over the head in the throw is pretty cool. I much prefer A/R's new short to their Onegin one, I like their style and I thought they were marked a bit hard on the PCS side.

Looking forward to the Free. Hopefully T/M can gain their first GP victory. The rest of the podium is very open.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think T/M looked very fine. Tarasova certainly hit the gym hard this summer, good to see her having a bit more power.

newyn

On the Ice
I'm so glad for T/M! They had a really good skate! I think they deserve more appreciation and love. I don't think they get their pcs because they are currently seen as Russian nro. 1 team or because they are team Mozer. To my inexperienced eye T/M have clearly superior skating skills to the rest of the field here. Even on video they appear faster than the others, and their unison and the similarity of their technique is a sight for sore eyes. I've never seen them live but I've heard commentators noting on how silent their skating is. Is that not a sign of edge quality?

I guess it's a matter of opinion but to me it looks like they really like their program and enjoy performing it. She appears a bit reserved sometimes (not this time!) but he projects more than many other male pair skaters. I also think that they have nice chemistry together and they look at each other adoringly a lot which is super cute. I didn't know at first that they are a couple off ice too but I wasn't surprised at all when I found that out. People on this forum often say they don't have any chemistry, though, so maybe I'm seeing things that are not there...

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I think T/M deserve to be in first place and I felt that they have improved a lot with their performance. I hope that carries over to the long. I could tell that they are faster and more powerful even on the computer screen (as opposed to in person or on the big screen tv) than the other teams tonight. I don't know about the scores because I'm often confused by the GOEs a lot of teams and singles get but I think they should be out ahead by at least 5 points.

I was sad for C/T because I do think once they get their ducks in a row they will be a top 10 team. I especially want this for Mervin. He seems like such a nice guy.

I hope that S/B come back strong in the long and challenge the Russians and I'm interested in what the French put out there and I hope they do well.

Hated the music of D/F but they are certainly a striking pair. I'm not sure about the placement but maybe that's just semantics. The scores are close after T/M.

andromache

Record Breaker
I guess it's a matter of opinion but to me it looks like they really like their program and enjoy performing it. She appears a bit reserved sometimes (not this time!) but he projects more than many other male pair skaters. I also think that they have nice chemistry together and they look at each other adoringly a lot which is super cute. I didn't know at first that they are a couple off ice too but I wasn't surprised at all when I found that out. People on this forum often say they don't have any chemistry, though, so maybe I'm seeing things that are not there...

Both Tarasova and Morozov have less-than-expressive facial features, IMO. From a distance, their facial features kind of blend in with the rest of their face, if that makes sense? It's not a negative comment on their appearance, but just an additional thing that hampers their projection. Neither have big expressive eyes - like Stolbova, for example. Evgenia is very pretty, of course, especially up close, but she should be wearing more makeup to highlight her expressions and allow the audience to see her emoting. It's tougher with guys...but a touch of makeup wouldn't be out of place for Vladimir.

I also think they are cute and have chemistry, but it's not brought out very well in this program.

olayolay

On the Ice
She appears a bit reserved sometimes (not this time!) but he projects more than many other male pair skaters.

Are we talking about Morozov? Vladimir Morozov???

:unsure:

He'd have trouble selling water to a dying man in the Sahara.

newyn

On the Ice
Are we talking about Morozov? Vladimir Morozov???

:unsure:

He'd have trouble selling water to a dying man in the Sahara.

Do you think someone like Chris Knierim or Fedor Klimov could do a better job? I'm not saying he is is the best of the field but in my opinion he is far from worst. I think he really seems to get into their performances and he is quite musical. Again, maybe I am just imagining for some reason since apparently not a lot of people agree.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Are we talking about Morozov? Vladimir Morozov??? He'd have trouble selling water to a dying man in the Sahara.

That's a bit harsh. I think he is very skilled pair skater. I loved his part in last season's Irish programme, not just for the matching red hair :)

Do you think someone like Chris Knierim or Fedor Klimov could do a better job? I'm not saying he is is the best of the field but in my opinion he is far from worst. I think he really seems to get into their performances and he is quite musical. Again, maybe I am just imagining for some reason since apparently not a lot of people agree.

Yes. Totally and utterly yes. Fedor Klimov is absolutely amazing :luv17: and Chris Knierim on a good day can match Vladimir.

olayolay

On the Ice
:slink:

I'd put Klimov, Knierim and Morozov all in the lowest tier with regards to expression and interpretation.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Fedor Klimov is commentating with Alexander Grishin on Russia's Match! Arena.

He says that he and Ksenia will start training in a week. He also says that they will be working on a quad throw. The quad twist is out of the question since they've been having problems with the twist lately.

I started watching videos and was like: Wait? Is that Fedor commentating? :love: Of course I don't understand anything, so thanks for the info :thank:

Vale and Ondrej should get award for synchronised hadns down on SBS 3Lz :biggrin: I feel sad there were so many mistakes and the only clean program was Tarasova/Morozov (kudos to them, their twist is amazing). I hope it will go better for all Pairs in Free. I really don't like Denney/Frazier music, but I wouldn't be suprised if they slayed at Nationals and were sent to Worlds. They have the goods. :thumbsup:

LadyB

Record Breaker
Have they ever connected to an audience with any program? :scratch2:

For starters, I think the Boston audience quite liked their Riverdance programme. They've always been in the shadow of V/T, S/K and K/S, they often weren't given half a chance. They're now given an opportunity to shine and they really look to me as if they'll grab it with both (four?) hands.

I'm so glad for T/M! They had a really good skate! I think they deserve more appreciation and love. I don't think they get their pcs because they are currently seen as Russian nro. 1 team or because they are team Mozer.
Yes, they do deserve a chance and I agree their skating skills are fantastic.
Are they really seen as Russian pair no 1? Are the Messis and Ronaldos not the best footballers in the world just because they're out on injury? I wouldn't go that far, but I hope the future is theirs. In the long run, they might consider switching coaches, but this is only a start, let's see where it leads them and what happens, when S/K are back.

Other than that, I do love S/B and I'm gutted they're 'only' third at the moment. Fingers crossed they can pull it off in FS.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Fedor Klimov is commentating with Alexander Grishin on Russia's Match! Arena. He says that he and Ksenia will start training in a week. He also says that they will be working on a quad throw. The quad twist is out of the question since they've been having problems with the twist lately.
Thanks for the info. If you listen to more and pick up more interesting news, please, please, let us know :thank:

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I started watching videos and was like: Wait? Is that Fedor commentating? :love:

Same reaction here. That really made my night. After the shock that I won't see him at Rostelecom, this was the sweetest surprise. Not that I understand anything, but listening to his voice...:luv17:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yes. Loved their Leap of Faith :luv17:.

Me too. Haven't seen it for a long time. Rest of Vanessa and Morgan also gorgeous! ...though much to improve getting more points... Great to see they are training under Zimmerman/Fontana.