2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017-19 Splits & Partner Changes

russell30

Final Flight
Drats and double drats! such a shame!!!!

Czech Skating was so strong in the 6.0 system and IJS , Petr Barna, Lenka Kulovana, Mrazova/Simecek, tomas Verner, Michal Brezina, Kovarikova/Novotny - I thought Duskova/Bidar next best thing!! oh dear!!!

Lota

Record Breaker

:eeking: :reye: :eeking:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :drama: :dbana: :hpull: :gaah: :tantrum: :curse:

Seriously though, I really liked this pair and thought that if they put in enough work they could become real podium contenders. Obviously, if they were unhappy skating together - nothing we can do about that, but it always breaks my heart both as a fan of a particular team (e.g. this one) and a fan of FS in general when great teams like this break up. Seems like such a loss to the entire FS community :no:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Petr Kotlarik should return from Hackensack to Czechia and skate with Anna Duskova. He has more charisma than Bidar.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am sad for all the czech fans on the board. Anna and Martin seemed to have a bright future together.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I've already posted my reaction in their Fan Fest, but I wanted to add something here as well.

On the one hand, this sounds plausible. But, Anna in particular had invested a lot in this partnership, giving up a promising Singles career to concentrate on Pairs with Martin. Of course, Martin also gave up a Singles career. But he freely admitted that he wasn't that into Singles as much as he was into Pairs. So, it seems strange that it would be her holding back from taking the next step.

On the other hand, it is understandable that Anna would want to see out her last year in school at home. And it is strange that Martin does not want to wait for her. So, I suspect that although this probably does play a part, that there are other underlying reasons.

I wonder if it is simply a case that they had outgrown each other physically. Like, both of them have changed so much over the past few years from the 2 kids that wowed us in Juniors. Anna is now a lot taller, whereas Martin is now built like a tank. Their new body shapes may simply not suit each other any more.

Let's try to be positive. If everything goes the right way, you could end up with 2 very good Pairs partnerships. Like, when Hurtado / Diaz split, we were all upset. But now Spain has 2 very good Ice Dance partnerships.

EDIT: Martin's post about the split indicates that there may be 2 Czech partnerships coming out of this.​

Still going to miss this partnership, though... :cry:

CaroLiza_fan

I don't think it's just about waiting for her. It sounded to me as though her preference is to continue training in Prague, not just for high school but university. That's several years to wait if he feels he needs to train abroad to continue developing well. Wanting to train on different sides of the world (if going back to Montreal is what he has in mind) is a pretty big problem really.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
There's another article today. Ufff. The drama continues.

The article states that there might have been also some relationship struggles between the two of them. Martin had arguments with his coach Eva Horklová and Anna's mother. It speculates that the arguments might have reached their top after Pyeongchang. Martin wanted to spend most of the season abroad with Gautier, and not the 6 weeks they stayed there for now. Horklová and Dušková's family (I'm not sure if her parents only or she as well) were against it. Anna also wants to study medicine, with is very hard to combine with training. He also moved out from her parents at the beginning of March (he lived with them so he wouldn't have to travel too far to Prague for training). The rest of the team was also against this. On the 28th Match Anna's parents sent a letter to the federation Anna and Martin had split.

This situation is not looking good at all. I don't think Anna and Martin are on bad terms, but they weren't best friends either. They talked about this before, Anna is the ambitious one who led the partnership and Martin was more introverted and their personalities slightly crashed, but there weren't any big problems as far as I know. But it could have played a part. I also blame our dumb federation partly, since they didn't try to listen to Martin's wishes. They could have done something.

The training condititions in Czech Republic are **** and I know that. Gautier himself said in interview with a Czech newspaper that it should be improved! But I can't help but feel Martin could have waited for year until Anna completed high school. Maybe they could find a compromise, however, now knowing she wants to study medicine, it probably wouldn't help anyway. I feel like this split could have been avoided if the federation listened to Martin or had better training conditions. However, maybe there were some problems between Anna and Martin, but I don't know that, so I can't judge by this fact. If there were, I understand the split.

I'm just so frustrated right now sorry guys.

These are the two articles I talked about:
https://sport.idnes.cz/krasobruslen...-pfp-/sporty.aspx?c=A180427_183401_sporty_ald
https://oh.idnes.cz/richard-gauthie...i.aspx?c=A180215_235421_zoh-krasobrusleni_rou

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Yup, me too, I can relate. Brezina has, what, two more competitive seasons ahead of him at the most, and I cannot see anyone else who's GP caliber in any other category. Except for the dance couple, Mansour/Ceska, but I just don't get their scores which aren't too promising. Sigh, and I had so much hope for this lovely pair... Thank you for all the information, and I feel that not only Martin could have waited one year till Anna finishes her school, but at the same time, university studies can always wait whereas one's competitive career, not so much. If Anna is supposedly the ambitious one (supposing it was said in relation to her skating ambitions), I don't get why she would prioritize her studies and proximity of her family, and inadequate training conditions when they seemed to thrive under Canadian tutelage. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I feel there's something else there. But hey, what do I know, it's happened, and the only thing left for me as a fan to do, is pray at least 1 of the partnerships is successful and represents their home country (I don't have my hopes high for Martin in the latter). That's all. :shrug:

luckyguy

Match Penalty
There's another article today. Ufff. The drama continues.

The article states that there might have been also some relationship struggles between the two of them. Martin had arguments with his coach Eva Horklová and Anna's mother. It speculates that the arguments might have reached their top after Pyeongchang. Martin wanted to spend most of the season abroad with Gautier, and not the 6 weeks they stayed there for now. Horklová and Dušková's family (I'm not sure if her parents only or she as well) were against it. Anna also wants to study medicine, with is very hard to combine with training. He also moved out from her parents at the beginning of March (he lived with them so he wouldn't have to travel too far to Prague for training). The rest of the team was also against this. On the 28th Match Anna's parents sent a letter to the federation Anna and Martin had split.

This situation is not looking good at all. I don't think Anna and Martin are on bad terms, but they weren't best friends either. They talked about this before, Anna is the ambitious one who led the partnership and Martin was more introverted and their personalities slightly crashed, but there weren't any big problems as far as I know. But it could have played a part. I also blame our dumb federation partly, since they didn't try to listen to Martin's wishes. They could have done something.

The training condititions in Czech Republic are **** and I know that. Gautier himself said in interview with a Czech newspaper that it should be improved! But I can't help but feel Martin could have waited for year until Anna completed high school. Maybe they could find a compromise, however, now knowing she wants to study medicine, it probably wouldn't help anyway. I feel like this split could have been avoided if the federation listened to Martin or had better training conditions. However, maybe there were some problems between Anna and Martin, but I don't know that, so I can't judge by this fact. If there were, I understand the split.

These are the two articles I talked about:
https://sport.idnes.cz/krasobruslen...-pfp-/sporty.aspx?c=A180427_183401_sporty_ald
https://oh.idnes.cz/richard-gauthie...i.aspx?c=A180215_235421_zoh-krasobrusleni_rou

As I stated above, my dream pair is Duskova/Kotlarik. He skated pairs too and Horklova was his coach. I think he is more talented than Bidar.

Jana

On the Ice
As I stated above, my dream pair is Duskova/Kotlarik. He skated pairs too and Horklova was his coach. I think he is more talented than Bidar.

That's another option. My guesses were Radek Jakubka (one year younger than Anna competing at Junior Level with Edita Hornakova) or Jiri Belohradsky (Single skater but with previous experience with Pairs at Novice Level).
But all three guys are "newbies" with Pairs :(

luckyguy

Match Penalty

Jana

On the Ice
Kotlarik skated with Kratenova a couple years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J271Eg463ec

Yes, I know that. Belohradsky skated during those years too. Jakubka is too young for Anna. Czech Fed after Petr Bidar/Klara Kadlecova tried as much skater as possible (including Duskova/Bidar).

But novice experience and "TOP" seniors... it's a big difference...

EDIT: And... he trained abroad, wants he to train in Prague?

luckyguy

Match Penalty
@Jana

That's the question if he wants to leave Amodio in Hackensack. He has surely ambitions to be Czech No. 1 in singles.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yup, me too, I can relate. Brezina has, what, two more competitive seasons ahead of him at the most, and I cannot see anyone else who's GP caliber in any other category. Except for the dance couple, Mansour/Ceska, but I just don't get their scores which aren't too promising. Sigh, and I had so much hope for this lovely pair... Thank you for all the information, and I feel that not only Martin could have waited one year till Anna finishes her school, but at the same time, university studies can always wait whereas one's competitive career, not so much. If Anna is supposedly the ambitious one (supposing it was said in relation to her skating ambitions), I don't get why she would prioritize her studies and proximity of her family, and inadequate training conditions when they seemed to thrive under Canadian tutelage. It just doesn't make sense to me, and I feel there's something else there. But hey, what do I know, it's happened, and the only thing left for me as a fan to do, is pray at least 1 of the partnerships is successful and represents their home country (I don't have my hopes high for Martin in the latter). That's all. :shrug:

Most skaters wait until they are finished their competitive careers before they go into higher education. But, it is very competitive to get into medicine courses. And if that is what Anna ultimately wants to do as a career, then she could find it very difficult to get into a course if she waits until she is finished her skating career. So, in terms of what she wants to do in the rest of her life, going to Uni straight after school rather than delaying it is probably very wise.

I'm talking from a UK viewpoint, so this may not be exactly the same in the Czech Republic. But, it shouldn't be too different.

Medicine is a different animal to other University courses. Not only is it more intensive in terms of workload, the total length of the course is also a lot longer. Like, 5 years rather than 3. So, if Anna is intending on studying medicine, I can't see how she will have the time for training at the same time.

However, don't forget that Lucie Myslivečková took a few years out from competing to concentrate on her studies, and she came back and got to the Olympics. So, it can be done. But, it is a gamble.

Thinking about it, if Anna is going to be taking a break for a few years, then now would be the best time for the partnership to end. It would enable her to concentrate on her final year exams (because medicine has very high grade requirements - the Uni I went to currently requires 3 A's in your A-levels, as well as an A in a fourth subject at AS level), and also let Martin get straight into working with his new partner.

If you take this long-term view, them splitting now makes sense.

Still doesn't mean I won't miss them.

CaroLiza_fan

Jana

On the Ice
@Jana

That's the question if he wants to leave Amodio in Hackensack. He has surely ambitions to be Czech No. 1 in singles.

I think so, he might want to continue Singles. That's why I didn't think about him as a possible partner for Anna.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am so saddened and shocked by Anna and Martin’s split.:cry: They had a wonderful quality together and were my favorite young pairs team. I always looked forward to seeing them compete and was excited to see them develop over the next quad. I will really miss them.

Jana

On the Ice
Most skaters wait until they are finished their competitive careers before they go into higher education. But, it is very competitive to get into medicine courses. And if that is what Anna ultimately wants to do as a career, then she could find it very difficult to get into a course if she waits until she is finished her skating career. So, in terms of what she wants to do in the rest of her life, going to Uni straight after school rather than delaying it is probably very wise.

I'm talking from a UK viewpoint, so this may not be exactly the same in the Czech Republic. But, it shouldn't be too different.

Medicine is a different animal to other University courses. Not only is it more intensive in terms of workload, the total length of the course is also a lot longer. Like, 5 years rather than 3. So, if Anna is intending on studying medicine, I can't see how she will have the time for training at the same time.

However, don't forget that Lucie Myslivečková took a few years out from competing to concentrate on her studies, and she came back and got to the Olympics. So, it can be done. But, it is a gamble.

Thinking about it, if Anna is going to be taking a break for a few years, then now would be the best time for the partnership to end. It would enable her to concentrate on her final year exams (because medicine has very high grade requirements - the Uni I went to currently requires 3 A's in your A-levels, as well as an A in a fourth subject at AS level), and also let Martin get straight into working with his new partner.

If you take this long-term view, them splitting now makes sense.

Still doesn't mean I won't miss them.

CaroLiza_fan

It's very common in CR continue to Uni immediately (you need to take entrance exams, they don't care about previous marks). Medicine last 6 years at our universities. And it's really hard and time-consuming. Probably she should decide medicine or skating.
Lucie studies "something easier" and there is a big difference between pairs and ice dance (ice dance is "easier").

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's very common in CR continue to Uni immediately (you need to take entrance exams, they don't care about previous marks). Medicine last 6 years at our universities. And it's really hard and time-consuming. Probably she should decide medicine or skating.

Ah. That's interesting that your Uni's have their own entrance exams. In the UK, it is only the real elite Uni's that have entrance exams (the likes of Oxford and Cambridge). Everywhere else just goes by your A-level results.

And it is also interesting that your medicine courses are a year longer. (I wonder if we have shorter courses because there are not enough workers in that field, and the powers-that-be want to get more people into the workforce sooner).

Lucie studies "something easier" and there is a big difference between pairs and ice dance (ice dance is "easier").

Yep. That was what I was trying to imply. But, I didn't want to go as far as to say anything was "easier", in case it started a shouting match. So, you're much braver than me! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

Alchamei

Record Breaker
We have another article guys! And this one is even more interesting. It's an interview with Martin.

And some things are really juicy.

Basically, Horklová and Anna's parents escalated it.

The decision about the split wasn't intermediate, it was a longer one. When did the decision in your debates appeared?
When we talked about it more after Worlds in March, there was still hope for two weeks, that we wouldn't split and we would solve it. But then we decided we wouldn't change and reach a compromise.

You felt, that if you wanted to become a better figure skater, you would have to travel more from CR, but you didn't find support for it with your partener and coach?
Yeah, I'd said it like that. I felt we were improving everytime we were abroad and wanted to stay there for longer. But Anička said she wanted to study and didn't want to study from a distance.

Additionaly, she wanted to study medicine with her skating skating carrer, but for example Tomáš Verner said this is not compatible with competitive figure skating. Did an impossible challenge arose?
Well yeah. She told me at first that I should wait for a year we would see, but then in the same sentence she says she'd like to study medicine.

How long did you together spend in Canada for training?
Around a month and a week.

How much you'd like to train there?
I wanted in to be 50/50 between CR and Canada. But I stopped trying when Anna told me she didn't want individual plan in school.

How many debates you had about it?
About three. All ended up the same.

Your coach Eva Horkolvá wanted you to stay in Czech Republic as well. I suppose you talked to her about it multiple times.
Also. She said it would be the same the next season and then we'd see.

You also told her you wanted to move out from Dušková's parents, where you lived because of easier driving to trainings. Reportedly, your wilingnes to become indepent wasn't well met.
I told Horklová at first, that one of the problems for was that I lived with her parents. But then she probably told them I had a problem with them - and they probably didn't find out my other reasons. I still wanted to talk about it with Anička. But then it escalated with her parents reaction, when they sent a letter to the Czech federation we would be splitting.

You told the same thing to the federation. There wasn't a way back?
No, it was over.

Will you remain friends with Anna?
Yeah, we are fine, we talk normally.

What did your Canadian coach Richard Gauthier, with who you are close and travelled to him for training, say about the split?
He wished me luck and said he'd try to find some partner. We could still travel to him to Canada to train with my new partner.

Is any new partner approaching?
A few girls have made an offer, we are negotiating. I have some possibilies. I'll wait if any other partner appears, I'm not decided yet.

There isn't a much of a choise in CR, could the partner be from abroad?
Probably. I think about everything, but looks more like abroad. But I still want to compete with her for CR.

Even though you wouldn't be able to compete for a year, if the partner represented a different country last season?
Yeah, I am prepared for this. If it was a good partner and we would have a future, I'd be willing to have the year break.

I'm sorry but translating interviews is not my thing, some formulations are weird but you can ask me, I tried as much as I could.

But did their coach turned on Martin behind his back and did Anna's parents annouced the split even before telling Martin? Please tell me my reading comprehention sucks!

At least Anna and Martin want to stay friends. At least something positive about this fiasco.

The Czech federation can burn in hell. I wish someone else called them out.

Btw, here's the article: https://sport.idnes.cz/rozhovor-mar...-dsb-/sporty.aspx?c=A180428_111132_sporty_tm2