2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS

combinationspin

On the Ice
Well, I think it's important to consider the possibility that she just didn't skate all that well here. For instance, that performance in Canada was legitimately good so I agree her score felt too low there. But here she visibly was quite sluggish. She really didn't deserve much higher PCS in my eyes. Also, calling that a stepout is incredibly genious - It's a -2 GOE jump at best, probably -3. Of the comparables, might you argue that she could have had more PCS than Rika? Perhaps(I don't consider Rika stellar at all PCS-wise), but when we consider the standing ovation and all - a point you made - it makes sense.

In my opinion, she needs to actually skate well before we can legitimately complain about underscoring. If she moves in the FS like she did in SP, I really don't think she deserves to be anywhere near an Olympics spot. Actually, I'm quite confused by why she seems so slow because that doesn't match my memory of her. Has she been dealing with a minor injury?
The judging (and tech calls) at Skate Canada must be described as criminal imo. I can‘t believe what scores they gave Marin for her SS and how Kaetlyn got 10+ more points in the LP for a lackluster skate.
And I get where tars is coming from. Like he said somewhere else, many youngster got their ‘overscoring moment’ (Mihara at WTT and JO, Wakaba at WTT and Lombardia, Zagitova at Lombardia (and everywhere else :agree:), Tsurskaya at NHK, Sakamoto at SA, Tennell at SA), where they performed cleanly, wow the crowd and the judges get a little too enthusiastic and maybe overlook one or two flaws. These girls end up with slightly too high scores that serve as their initiation to the group of girls that judges see as contenders. Skate Canada’s LP should have been Marin overscoring moment but she was denied it. Instead, she was judged as harsh as possible with questionable tech calls despite getting the only standing ovation of that night.

Alifyre

On the Ice
viewers of today's competitions are reporting that upon entering the arena, the ladies' are in practice and apparently Kaori has a change in costume...it's red!

in news (w/ photo): http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/12/22/kiji/20171222s00079000156000c.html

It looks like the red version of the original design. It seems no one was perfect in the practice from last group. Perhaps the ladies were just saving their energy for tomorrow.
Ah I must admit, I liked the quirky originality of the green dress. That said, the red dress is a little more true to the movie and is definitely more eye-catching! I think both are good!

macy

Record Breaker
I really hope wakaba comes out guns blazing. that skyfall long program is TOO GOOD to not see at the Olympics.

no pun intended :biggrin:

quadrupleaxel15

On the Ice
viewers of today's competitions are reporting that upon entering the arena, the ladies' are in practice and apparently Kaori has a change in costume...it's red!

in news (w/ photo): http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/12/22/kiji/20171222s00079000156000c.html

It looks like the red version of the original design. It seems no one was perfect in the practice from last group. Perhaps the ladies were just saving their energy for tomorrow.
OMG she really is after that Gold.
Previous dress was fine to me and suitable to the theme but this is bolder and better.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The judging (and tech calls) at Skate Canada must be described as criminal imo. I can‘t believe what scores they gave Marin for her SS and how Kaetlyn got 10+ more points in the LP for a lackluster skate.
And I get where tars is coming from. Like he said somewhere else, many youngster got their ‘overscoring moment’ (Mihara at WTT and JO, Wakaba at WTT and Lombardia, Zagitova at Lombardia (and everywhere else :agree:), Tsurskaya at NHK, Sakamoto at SA, Tennell at SA), where they performed cleanly, wow the crowd and the judges get a little too enthusiastic and maybe overlook one or two flaws. These girls end up with slightly too high scores that serve as their initiation to the group of girls that judges see as contenders. Skate Canada’s LP should have been Marin overscoring moment but she was denied it. Instead, she was judged as harsh as possible with questionable tech calls despite getting the only standing ovation of that night.

Where exactly did Mai's & Waka's "overscoring events" led to an initiation into the contender group? When they were both robbed at CoC for example? :shrug:
(And I have to add it - how was Polina overscored at NHK? She was underscored if anything, IMO).

As for nationals - not sure I can get myself to watch this at all... :slink:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
As for nationals - not sure I can get myself to watch this at all... :slink:

Same here. I've been thinking I'll skip the event and just look at the scores when it's done - this way I only have to feel the heartbreak once, not suffer through the entire event and watch some dreams being crushed. This almost feels too brutal to fully enjoy even if everyone goes clean. I still hope Wakaba makes the team, so hugs to her even if I'm not watching the event.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Same here. I've been thinking I'll skip the event and just look at the scores when it's done - this way I only have to feel the heartbreak once, not suffer through the entire event and watch some dreams being crushed. This almost feels too brutal to fully enjoy even if everyone goes clean. I still hope Wakaba makes the team, so hugs to her even if I'm not watching the event.

I hope that Mai has the skate of her life and makes the 4CC team where she'll defend her title.

Alifyre

On the Ice
I woke up at 6:20 am EST for the short and managed to watch the last two groups, but this time there's one less group than the short. Can someone give me a estimate of how much time will be cut by removing the fifth group so I know when to wake up to catch the podium contenders, keeping in mind that these programs are longer? (Sorry early group ladies, there is no way I'll be able to get up at 3am to see you).

This is probably the only competition so far this season I've been willing to set an alarm for!!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Fiery red. I love the new one.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yabai! ;)

Kaori wins best KnC this season for Skate America for me. The pure joy on her face is something that was completely missing throughout this season, at least in the Ladies event. Everyone seems dead serious but she just celebrates! :agree:

whatif

Medalist
I blame Japanese Federation! This is a local event, for Christ’s sake! Why are your judges so stingy?????!!!! It’s Christmas!
How can we expect international judges to inflate when you can’t even give proper guidance! Look up to the north. Learn how it’s done. Maybe invite Lakernik and Shekhovtseva to do a judges seminar on the art of propping your top skaters?

FSLover17

On the Ice

I think the red dress is a lot nicer! I'm interested to see what Satoko's jumps were like. She said she was very nervous in the SP and her jumps looked so much smaller than they did at the GPF. Is there anywhere where videos of the practices can be found or are they all media only?

FSLover17

On the Ice
According to this article Satoko's left leg has been bothering her again. She took 2 days off after GPF so there wasn't much time to prepare for Nationals like she might have originally wanted. She went to the hospital to get an MRI and the doctors told her there was no abnormality found.
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201712220000149.html

Kanspo tweeted her FS run-through from official practice today
https://twitter.com/kanspo/status/944090777184899074

3Lo/3Lz+3T/3F/FCSp/CCoSP/StSq/3Lz+2T+2Lo(タノ/着氷つまり気味)/2A+3T/1S(乱)/ChSq/2A/LSp
ioanna posted this in Satoko's fan fest. I hope she's okay :(

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Yabai! ;)

Kaori wins best KnC this season for Skate America for me. The pure joy on her face is something that was completely missing throughout this season, at least in the Ladies event. Everyone seems dead serious but she just celebrates! :agree:

This is exactly her virtue and advantage in my opinion - more taking in the moment than analyzing it. This freshness, youthful vibe around her, those programs, how 'hungry' and enthusiastic, adventurous she appears at every competition - she takes everything by stride, not really feeling intimidated by scores or competitors, more like feeling genuinely happy/surprised about her results. And she seems to have the best 'peaking' moment among all Japanese Ladies.