2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Japanese Nationals Ladies FS

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is exactly her virtue and advantage in my opinion - more taking in the moment than analyzing it. This freshness, youthful vibe around her, those programs, how 'hungry' and enthusiastic, adventurous she appears at every competition - she takes everything by stride, not really feeling intimidated by scores or competitors, more like feeling genuinely happy/surprised about her results. And she seems to have the best 'peaking' moment among all Japanese Ladies.

I just rewatched Skate America's LP and while I really wish it for her, I think she could also make mistakes tomorrow, if she loses her focus. Her jumps are very powerful. Powerful jumps tend to bring harder, more disruptive falls and make the whole program less stable. That said I love her sequence of jumps in the second half, and she just flies over the ice in the end. I hope she's ready to get that Olympic spot and that people won't expect too much from her. She's already a winner in my book. I believe Satoko will win Nationals again this year, but what Kaori did in her senior debut season is one of the very few highlights in a lacklustre season so far. She's a little rocket!

Leonardo

Final Flight
I blame Japanese Federation! This is a local event, for Christ’s sake! Why are your judges so stingy?????!!!! It’s Christmas!
How can we expect international judges to inflate when you can’t even give proper guidance! Look up to the north. Learn how it’s done. Maybe invite Lakernik and Shekhovtseva to do a judges seminar on the art of propping your top skaters?

this x1000

combinationspin

On the Ice
Where exactly did Mai's & Waka's "overscoring events" led to an initiation into the contender group? When they were both robbed at CoC for example? :shrug:
(And I have to add it - how was Polina overscored at NHK? She was underscored if anything, IMO).

As for nationals - not sure I can get myself to watch this at all... :slink:
It’s definitely true that Wakaba’s and Mai’s scoring resume is kind of mixed so far this season and they are far from a status where they get held up no matter what. However, the list of women who have cleared 140 points in the LP is pretty elite imo. All of these 18 women except for the youngsters (that means max. 2 seasons as senior yet) are world medalists. And only 6 have cleared 145 and Wakaba and Mai are among them. When I call them contenders, I mean they are contending for the top 10 in the world not for the Olympic podium. And Marin probably isn’t top 10 material for the judges right now.
Concerning Polina’s LP at SA: I haven’t rewatched every single performance from my list above but just wrote it down off the top of my head. I mentioned Polina because from my memories judges were quite favourable to her: one or two jumps looked (borderline) UR in real-time to me (no calls were made) and she received considerably higher PCS marks for the LP than the SP, although her presentation and interpretation of the LP was by far not as good as those of the SP IMO.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The practice before FS is LIVE on now here: http://livetvnet.weebly.com/fuji-tv.html

I only caught last 3:

Satoko - (only last 90 sec. or so) secure as usual
Rika - no fall, but doubled at least 2 jumps
Kaori - a turn-out at 2A-3T combo, otherwise jumping lightly (the red dress works much better!)

Media reports on pre-FS practice:

Rika (Kihira) - landing 3A3T, 3A in run through, 3Z3T in 2nd half
Marin - seems to be changing the layout, will have 2 3Lz (one probably in 3Lz-2-2), and doing 2A-3T two times
Satoko (adding) - seems to be struggling with 3Lz-3T? also doing 2A-3T two times
Mai - clean run through!
Wakaba - skip 3Lz-3T and 3F in run through, checking Stsq, but otherwise jumps are secure outside run through

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
The practice before FS is LIVE on now here: http://livetvnet.weebly.com/fuji-tv.html

I only caught last 3:

Satoko - (only last 90 sec. or so) secure as usual
Rika - no fall, but doubled at least 2 jumps
Kaori - a turn-out at 2A-3T combo, otherwise jumping lightly (the red dress works much better!)

Media reports on pre-FS practice:

Rika (Kihira) - landing 3A3T, 3A in run through, 3Z3T in 2nd half
Marin - seems to be changing the layout, will have 2 3Lz (one probably in 3Lz-2-2), and doing 2A-3T two times
Satoko (adding) - seems to be struggling with 3Lz-3T? also doing 2A-3T two times
Mai - clean run through!
Wakaba - skip 3Lz-3T and 3F in run through, checking Stsq, but otherwise jumps are secure outside run through

i hope she isnt planning 3Lz3T and just showing off cause she already repeats 3A and 3Lz :laugh: still hoping Satoko will do 2 2A3T because its quality is better, and Mai!!!! we all know you can do it so just relax (i know easier said than done and i am still very nervous :biggrin:) show us the joy of the skating :luv17:

schizoanalyst

Medalist
i hope she isnt planning 3Lz3T and just showing off cause she already repeats 3A and 3Lz :laugh: still hoping Satoko will do 2 2A3T because its quality is better, and Mai!!!! we all know you can do it so just relax (i know easier said than done and i am still very nervous :biggrin:) show us the joy of the skating :luv17:

It was never clear to me why she doesn't do just two 2A+3T's, a superior combination for her and which would keep the same BV. My assumption is that maybe she believes there is a PCS bias against not doing a 3-3 combo by the judges? Perhaps there is something to that idk.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
i hope she isnt planning 3Lz3T and just showing off cause she already repeats 3A and 3Lz :laugh:

It's the contingency plan. She could easily botch the first combo and miss the 3T, or pop the second 3A. It is a very likely scenario she will need the 3Lz+3T. (I hope not, of course.) In fact she should be practicing every jump with a 3T tagged on, like Zhenya. I think she's capable of it.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
our favourite youtuber will livestream ladies FS on vk!!! :yahoo::cheer: i can open the page without logging in so hopefully it will be the case for livestream too

https://vk.com/fslive1

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
It's starting soon... I wish for all the ladies to have a clean skate, and show us their best perfomance!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sleep is getting in the way :curse: I’ll have to wake up and see the results but no matter who rises to the top tonight she will certainly be worthy. The level of ladies skating in Japan is so good right now and with favorites aside...we’ll see two great ladies in Korea no matter how it goes down.

Good luck to ALL :hap57: