2017-2018 State of French Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of French Figure Skating

Pika

Final Flight
Owner of a GP, and competing at WTT, despite disappointing results at the previous Winter Games and one of the most criticized Fed/president, France still belongs to the big countries in figure skating.

While Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron perpetuate the tradition of French Ice Dancing, hoping to conquer the Olympic Title in a tight duel with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès finally had the breakthrough season they were waiting for, after moving to John Zimmerman, putting themselves in the league of the serious contenders.
The individual skaters struggled more this season. Maé-Bérénice Meité going through injury had to gave her French crown to Laurine Lecavelier who proved herself at European Championships with a fifth place and a very convincing technical arsenal, plus a revealing SP. Chafik Besseghier also lost his French title to the youngster Kevin Aymoz leading the latter to his first selection at EC. Besseghier and Lecavelier who competed at Worlds brought back 1 Olympic quota for each category.

Men (1 OG quota): A serious fight is expected between Aymoz and Besseghier. The first could be building a strong PCS advantage but still has no quad, while the second plans 3 in the FP. Romain Ponsart who trains under Arutunian could be a wild card if he stops bombing and shows his real potential.

Ladies (1 OG quota):This will be up to Meité, and how she can rebuild herself after a rough season.

Pairs (2 OG quotas): James/Ciprès are in a perfect ascending spiral (no pun intended) with Pyeongchang in sight. Behind them, it's still a bit unclear. Mendoza/Kovalev and Esbrat/Novoselov could both have nationality issues, and Mendoza was seriously injured.

Dance (2 OG quotas): Behind the leaders, another foggy zone. The binational couples with Lorenza Alessandrini and Marie-Jade Lauriault are in the same trouble. Another wild card is Angélique Abachkina, going into seniors with Louis Thauron, as she could get her french passport in time.

Next generation coming up:
The ice dance field is still the more crowded in France when it comes to Juniors, with a lot of promising couples, as the Junior National Champions Natacha Lagouge and Corentin Rahier trained under Muriel Zazoui and Olivier Schoenfelder.
The pairs desert no longer exists as a young couple Cleo Hamon and Denis Strekalin just participated to the WJC showing a lot of promise, but definitely an under-developped category.
Some boys will be heading to the JGP with lot of hopes, 3A and quads in the making, I'm talking about Adam Siao Him Fa and Luc Economides, while the club of Nice is feeding the ladies field. Both boys and girls are still struggling to stabilize their jumps and assert themselves in competition. I think the development is now up to Gailhaguet and how he'll decide to help the upcoming generation :sarcasm:

What are your thoughts about French Skating entering the Olympic season ?

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I think Angelique is French now, so it all depends on Marie-Jade's situation. I don't see Loressa and Pierre going though :/

I could say that I'm torn between Kevin's PCS and style that I really like and Chafik's ability to do his quads but no. Chafik has the quads and he has been performing them quite well recently so my money is on him.

Ladies :( I don't like that only one of them is going so it depends on performances, injuries and things like that. May the best win.

James/Cipres just became a big hope for pairs. Wasn't expecting this at the beginning of the season. I wish them to at least make an impact in PyeongChang, but depending on how other will perform, they could go for the medal (that would be mind-blowing). I just hope they'll skate clean.

P/C gained momentum after their FD WR. Funny thing, ever since Tessa&Scott came to train with them, they look so much better technically speaking, their Circular StepSq at Worlds was WOW. They needed this though to learn how to perform under pressure. They are surely one of France's biggest hope for OGM. Performing an outstanding performance at worlds is something... but at the Olympics ? It's another story !

I think that P/C's meteoric rise in 2014-2015 really helped the Juniors Ice Dance to be much more motivated. Having a winner in the team always helps !

Hoping for good results and if Didier can disappear from tv and social this season I would be grateful :laugh2:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Dance (2 OG quotas): Behind the leaders, another foggy zone. The binational couples with Lorenza Alessandrini and Marie-Jade Lauriault are in the same trouble. Another wild card is Angélique Abachkina, going into seniors with Louis Thauron, as she could get her french passport in time.

Abachkina & Thauron scored a good 20 points above Alessandrini & Souquet's SB this season. I agree with Anyasnake that it's likely a battle of the young teams. Per FSU, Abachkina has her citizenship. If Marie-Jade gets hers, then Lauriault & Le Gac have the advantage of senior experience this season. But even so, could be a genuine fight. L&LG and A&T have only a 2 point spread in their SBs and fought it out during the junior dance season prior to L&LG's entrance into seniors this year. If both teams stay together, there is the potential for a healthy dance rivalry between these two teams for years to come.

maya1985

On the Ice
Ladies: Laurine Lecavelier has become the number one in France.
Men: the competition may be tight between Besseghier and Aymoz. One is much younger than the other.
Pairs: James Cipres have to confirm their good season ... a top 5 at the OG would be a good performance (a medal would be magnificent but depends on the performances of others). For the second quota, Esbrat/Novoselov have already participated in several championships but will he have the French passport in time (like Kovalev)? It is not certain that France can send 2 couples.
Dance: Abachkina/Thauron and Lauriault/Le Gac are close ... but L/LG have more experience in senior (will they have the French nationality in time?). P/C are the leaders of the France team, a great chance of podium at the OG (the grand prix final will be very important)

Perfume

Match Penalty
Their skating has become better as much as their national election.

I hope they can change their fed president soon.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Ladies: Laurine Lecavelier has become the number one in France.
Men: the competition may be tight between Besseghier and Aymoz. One is much younger than the other.
Pairs: James Cipres have to confirm their good season ... a top 5 at the OG would be a good performance (a medal would be magnificent but depends on the performances of others). For the second quota, Esbrat/Novoselov have already participated in several championships but will he have the French passport in time (like Kovalev)? It is not certain that France can send 2 couples.
Dance: Abachkina/Thauron and Lauriault/Le Gac are close ... but L/LG have more experience in senior (will they have the French nationality in time?). P/C are the leaders of the France team, a great chance of podium at the OG (the grand prix final will be very important)

Yeah, I think Laurine has the edge over Meite right now. It's too bad they both can't go.

Weathergal

Medalist
Owner of a GP, and competing at WTT, despite disappointing results at the previous Winter Games and one of the most criticized Fed/president, France still belongs to the big countries in figure skating.

While Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron perpetuate the tradition of French Ice Dancing, hoping to conquer the Olympic Title in a tight duel with Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès finally had the breakthrough season they were waiting for, after moving to John Zimmerman, putting themselves in the league of the serious contenders.
The individual skaters struggled more this season. Maé-Bérénice Meité going through injury had to gave her French crown to Laurine Lecavelier who proved herself at European Championships with a fifth place and a very convincing technical arsenal, plus a revealing SP. Chafik Besseghier also lost his French title to the youngster Kevin Aymoz leading the latter to his first selection at EC. Besseghier and Lecavelier who competed at Worlds brought back 1 Olympic quota for each category.

Men (1 OG quota): A serious fight is expected between Aymoz and Besseghier. The first could be building a strong PCS advantage but still has no quad, while the second plans 3 in the FP. Romain Ponsart who trains under Arutunian could be a wild card if he stops bombing and shows his real potential.

Ladies (1 OG quota):This will be up to Meité, and how she can rebuild herself after a rough season.

Pairs (2 OG quotas): James/Ciprès are in a perfect ascending spiral (no pun intended) with Pyeongchang in sight. Behind them, it's still a bit unclear. Mendoza/Kovalev and Esbrat/Novoselov could both have nationality issues, and Mendoza was seriously injured.

The ice dance field is still the more crowded in France when it comes to Juniors, with a lot of promising couples, as the Junior National Champions Natacha Lagouge and Corentin Rahier trained under Muriel Zazoui and Olivier Schoenfelder.
The pairs desert no longer exists as a young couple Cleo Hamon and Denis Strekalin just participated to the WJC showing a lot of promise, but definitely an under-developped category.
Some boys will be heading to the JGP with lot of hopes, 3A and quads in the making, I'm talking about Adam Siao Him Fa and Luc Economides, while the club of Nice is feeding the ladies field. Both boys and girls are still struggling to stabilize their jumps and assert themselves in competition. I think the development is now up to Gailhaguet and how he'll decide to help the upcoming generation :sarcasm:

Thanks for starting this thread, Pika. Great to see more info on the French skaters - thanks for your informative analysis!

Pika

Final Flight
GP assignments for the French Team:

Men: Chafik Besseghier at SC and IdF, Kevin Aymoz and Romain Ponsart at IdF which will be basically a rehearsal of the French Nats.
Ladies: CoR for Meité and SC for Lecavelier, both competing in IdF.
Pairs: SC will be a tough one for James/Ciprès and IdF a bit easier. Esbrat/Novoselov could hope for the TBD at IdF.
Ice dance: Coc and IdF for Papadakis/Cizeron and Abachkina/Thauron making their senior debut. CoR and NHK for Lauriault/Le Gac. No more Alessandrini/Souquet.

Pika

Final Flight
Indeed but I wonder why they aren't on the list yet. It's not like France have tons of couples fighting for that spot.

maya1985

On the Ice
Indeed but I wonder why they aren't on the list yet. It's not like France have tons of couples fighting for that spot.

I guess the federation will want a minimum score:confused: ... depending on their results they will participate or not:palmf:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

France does have a second junior team aging up into seniors this year: the current junior silver medalists, Rouffanche & Brissaud. Alessandrini & Souquet are likely to get the spot though. Their SB this season was 6 points higher than last season so I would think they have at least met the same criteria they did for this year's TDF.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I agree with your general analysis. In general, the French could even surprise teams in the team event - I still think Russia, USA and Canada are the faves but France could be as high as 4 pending the Chinese and Japanese team - I think they are ahead of the Germans and Italians. The issue is which team won't make the team finals. Or alternatively, which teams will make it. What a battle betweek Kevin, ,Chafik and Roman. Such a toss up. And in the ladies like the men both failed to capitalize at thisyear worlds where it was not impossible for them to earn two spots. Meite I though might have the potential to beat both Canadian ladies but as we know Lecavelier was just out classed and jumped despite also haing huge potential. Two olympic medals aren't immpossible but it is also possible to see the French pairs out of the top 8 or gulp 10 (2 Americans, 3 Russians, 3 Canadians, Germany, Italy and 3 Chinese teams). They have a great shot at oly gold in dance though.

Pika

Final Flight
French Masters Update !

Men: Romain Ponsart won the Masters ahead of Adrien Tesson. Besseghier withdraw due to a pneumonia, and Aymoz did present his programs to the judges, but did not compete. There's question of an injury but nothing has been officially confirmed yet. This put an even bigger blur on the Olympic quota.

Ladies: A surprising victory for Mae-Berenice Meité, who's finally back to something closer to her previous level. The competition has been a struggle for Laurine Lecavelier (now training under Kori Ade) who was considered as the #1 French Lady. Promising junior Lea Serna is back after struggles with injuries, to take 3rd place.

Pairs: James/Ciprès confirm their result from Autumn Classic, showing they are ready and competitive. As said in other threads, France gave up the second Olympic spot because of citizenships issues in both of the other couples.

Dance: Papadakis/Cizeron flew over the field, with an interesting battle behind them. Coming out of juniors, Abachkina/Thauron lead Lauriault/Le Gac in the short dance, the latter came back in the Free to catch the silver medal. A serious fight ahead, but let's note that Marie-Jade is still not a French citizen.

News from the JGP

The ice dance champions Lagouge/Rahier unfortunately had a rough JGP with Natacha injuring herself during practice, ending up with a triple fracture of her hand. Wishing her a quick recovery (well... as quick it can be).
Adam Siao Him Fa was 9th in Zagreb with a fallen but complete 4T. He relocated to Poitiers and is now coached by Brian Joubert.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
I agree with your general analysis. In general, the French could even surprise teams in the team event - I still think Russia, USA and Canada are the faves but France could be as high as 4 pending the Chinese and Japanese team - I think they are ahead of the Germans and Italians. The issue is which team won't make the team finals. Or alternatively, which teams will make it. What a battle betweek Kevin, ,Chafik and Roman. Such a toss up. And in the ladies like the men both failed to capitalize at thisyear worlds where it was not impossible for them to earn two spots. Meite I though might have the potential to beat both Canadian ladies but as we know Lecavelier was just out classed and jumped despite also haing huge potential. Two olympic medals aren't immpossible but it is also possible to see the French pairs out of the top 8 or gulp 10 (2 Americans, 3 Russians, 3 Canadians, Germany, Italy and 3 Chinese teams). They have a great shot at oly gold in dance though.

Do you think France should compete in the Team Event?
Considering they only have one ice dance team and one pair team - they might be tired by the individual event, which will affect their performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm I personally am not sure I like skaters not representing their country out of t heir own ambition. But that's just me. It is an honor for our nation to make it to the team event. But looking at the French team P/C look good compared to Virtue and Moir so I will go with gold for them V and M did not pick a great free dance - I'd be curious what others think. But after the Frenh masters it is apparent P/C chose wisely -do what they do best. If Med can do it so can they. Skate to what you do well.

Tulipstar

Medalist
I saw Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron in Finlandia, and could really feel how extra special they are.
I don't know all that much about ice dance, but teams like this are slowly pulling me in.

Andrea82

Medalist
Aymoz is scheduled to make his seasonal debut today at Denkova-Staviski Cup in Bulgaria

http://clubdenkovastaviski.com/DSCup_2017_ISU/SEG001.HTM

His ISU bio has been updated with new programs

SP
Wicked Game by James Vincent McMorrow arr. by Maxime Rodriguez

FS

O by Coldplay
Conquest of Space by Woodkid
Run Boy Run by Woodkid arr. by Maxime Rodriguez

Choreographers: Silvia Fontana, John Zimmerman

Andrea82

Medalist
Besseghier finally came back after his recent health problems. He took part to Cup of Tyrol

He scored 217.25 for a third place (Vasiljevs won with 241.31 followed by Rizzo at 223.43).

He led the SP with 74.14. He did 4T+2T combo (troubled landing on the Quad. Therefore negative GOE), problematic landing also on the 3A (negative GOE but no fall) and a fine 3Lz.
FS: 143.11. UR on the 4T (negative GOE), 3S, 3A, 3T+3T, 2A, 3Lz, REP on 3S, 2A+2T+1Lo

In the some competition, Adam Siao Him Fa scored 195.22 with a convincing FS. Is it his first Senior international event?