2017-2018 State of French Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 State of French Figure Skating

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
James and Cipres should have qualified for the final. That's all I'll say about this.
https://gph.is/2xa1HDw

Oh please, Spirals for Miles! It's one thing that you were not familiar with the Zayak rule, until a few weeks ago, but please..., the GPF was based on a point merit system. and placements in the GP season. Every skater knew that in advance, what they needed to do before signing up.

Yes J&C have improved sooo much, a respected contender, and many had wished that things were different, including me, ...but you need to educate, before you advocate. :palmf:

By the way, now that you have recently Googled her, ...Elaine says, "hello".

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
James and Cipres should have qualified for the final. That's all I'll say about this.
https://gph.is/2xa1HDw

HI SFM,

I hope you don't mind the abbreviation... or perhaps would you prefer Spirals...

can you let me know which team should have been kicked out of GPF to make room to J/C.
I am a fan of J/C but I expected this result from the beginning...
You have to keep in mind how the GP series work. With their placement from worlds last year, only in 8th place, it meant that they would have to face 2 seeded teams in each of their grand prix.... On top of that, D/R, who had an unfortunate event in 2017 weren't seeded... It happened that J/C met them in Skate Canada where the Canadians were at their best. The other seeds, the Germans did well enough in the SP to build a big lead.... the other Canadian seeded team vanished in the lower rankings....

In order to have a shot, J/C needed to beat one seeded team in each of their outings and not be beaten by an unseeded team.

As a matter of fact, they were lucky to have I/M twice as seeds as they could have had another team in France and finish 3rd there again.

I am not saying that the seeds will automatically win... it's not like that at all.. .but the top six in the world is usually hard to crack. With only 24 points, it's extremely difficult to qualify and I think the six teams who indeed qualified deserve it.

I love J/C's exciting and powerful skating but they are rougher than other teams and when that's happens, they will lose PCS.. D/R today were sunk down in PCS for making mistakes... it's really the name of the game.

I find that looking at things under that angle makes me less angry ;) because i get to see things how they happen not how i wished for them to happen...

for instance, when I saw that I/M were number 6th seeds, I was like OMG.. they will end up at Skate Canada and either them or D/R won't make the final... and ... it happened.

BTW : all the pairs who have made the finals have beaten J/C at worlds last year. It says a lot about the quality of the field.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I should have seen it coming as soon as S/K got that ridiculous score at Rostelecom, but I'm still gutted. I still think J/C were robbed of AT LEAST a second silver (if not of a gold and a silver) but I'll take the fact that they beat both T/M and S/M in the free skate, I guess... Could do with less obvious smug condescension in this thread too :rolleye:

ters

Rinkside
Their results have been disappointing (mainly due to errors but picking a warhorse like Je Suis Malade probably didn't help) however they seemed to have a good relationship so I'm very surprised that they won't continue together.

There don't seem to be many French male ice dancers currently available. Perhaps Souquet? I believe he and Alessandrini recently ended their partnership. They competed at two senior ISU Championships together. He's about five years older than Abachkina.

Mathieu Couyras has also recently split from his partner and is a suitable height. He's about half a year older than Abachina. They could spend one season together on the junior level, get some ranking points, and then move up to seniors. But it's likely that she doesn't want to return to juniors.