2017 Europeans Ladies FS | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2017 Europeans Ladies FS

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I agree that Medvedeva pcs is way too big, but Kostner transitions -8.86 ? oh please.... :disapp:

SXTN

Final Flight
I love Carolina Kostner very much but I can't understand cry about her PCS. She does simple double axel after series of crossovers and 2-3 seconds of delay before the jump. Actually she get away from Plushenko like Transitions score. She is very far away from ''perfect components example'' like some people try to sell.:rolleye:

If you look at her Olympic Bolero, her transitions into the jumps were far worse.

Now, at age 30 almost, she has shortened the entrance into her Flip, Salchow and her Loop comes out of footwork twice in the program. No telegraphing anymore! That is some achievement already.

This freeskate is her very best ever transition-wise.

glam

On the Ice
Watch him in KnC with other skaters. Papa Mishin isn't exactly the huggy type. Handshake is all you get even if you just became Worlds champ https://youtu.be/Bl-pPoV3sr8?t=370

But I haven't seen him preventing any other skaters celebrating their great performance. He wouldn't behave like that with Plushenko. I think he wanted to show everybody his power to Carolina, or something like that. But it was very bizzarre.

moriel

Record Breaker
I agree that Medvedeva pcs is way too big, but Kostner transitions -8.86 ? oh please.... :disapp:

Lol forget actual values =)
Do you feel the final order is correct? If yes, don't try understanding =P

Honestly, everybody was overscored here

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yeah, the issue with PCS judging is that they can not give too huge gap between the component scores lol. Like they can not give someone just 6-7 for TR and 9 for SS. The gap should be close. :laugh: Seriously they should try to find a way to fix this.

liv

Record Breaker
I have always wondered why the gap between different PCS scores is always close. If you perform your program well, but have few transitions, or average ss you should get marked differently in each category. Instead, you rarely see disparity, which is usually more accurate as not everybody is great or average in every category.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Anna was such a fighter at this competition. She went for everything! tucked the 3t after the second lutz, went for the half loop combo with 0 speed. amazing
I was impressed with Caro. Some messy landings and spins but no meltdown and no falls. Her free skate is beautiful.
Laurine was awesome. Kept it together and kept pushing. Her personality shines on the ice. She is lovely.

I also kinda feel in love with Emmi Peltonen. What a gorgeous skater. Gorgeous quality of movements and gorgeous interpretation.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have always wondered why the gap between different PCS scores is always close. If you perform your program well, but have few transitions, or average ss you should get marked differently in each category. Instead, you rarely see disparity, which is usually more accurate as not everybody is great or average in every category.

They changed the system, because in old days the favourites were overscored. This system was ment to be more fair to skaters and pick up their strenghts and weakeness. What has changed? Techinal marks have, but they push favourites with PCS and yes, the difference is almost nothing, even when the difference is obvius even to us ordinary people. In old days it was almost impossible to be in top 5 with two falls. The difference is now, that skaters from small countries does not have to skate so much better than skaters from bigger countries, as they old days had to, but favourites are favourites. I maybe cruel with my opinion, but maybe the falls should be punished more. It affects whole performance so much.

da96103

Record Breaker
her last 2A was marked with the sign “+REP” and received only 70% of the base value. (as a repetition of a jump combination/sequence)

Yes you are right. A solo 2A in the second half should get 3.63, but here she gets 2.54.

But what I understand is REP deduction is given when both jumps of the same triple/quad is done and that the second jump is counted as 70% BV.
Here Zhenya does a 3rd 3T and this should be counted as an invalid element and not a REP. The two earlier 3T's are valid in their respective combo jumps. How can you apply a REP to an invalid element? And the REP deduction is on the 2A which is a valid element.

This does not follow the principle: a skater shall not lose marks on valid elements that are already done, because of other invalid elements.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Here Zhenya does a 3rd 3T and this should be counted as an invalid element and not a REP. The two earlier 3T's are valid in their respective combo jumps. How can you apply a REP to an invalid element? And the REP deduction is on the 2A which is a valid element.

Because it was a fourth combination. You are only allowed three in the program and by adding a fourth, she violated the rules. When this happens, only the first jump in the combination counts and then that jump gets +REP and only 70% of the value.

When she tacked on the extra 3T at Nats, it was in the third combination so there were no problems. She messed up the 2nd jump there here though, so couldn't add the 3T she wanted thus making a tad of a mess. But she can afford it.

Last edited:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Nice to see Carolina Kostner skate again, and good for her to skate relatively clean even with a watered down technical layout. As for Evgenia's score, I can say I'm not surprised at the record. But I am amazed at how consistent she is.

How? yes she ditched the lutz but she did the 3-3 in the free skate.

I've heard this even in the commentary (i think Ryan at NBC), but i don't know what free skate you saw from her, this is pretty much what she is capable of. If she adds the Lutz keeping the 3t-3t, i think that could be the most difficult program she's ever done.

Globetrotter

Medalist
I love Carolina Kostner very much but I can't understand cry about her PCS. She does simple double axel after series of crossovers and 2-3 seconds of delay before the jump. Actually she get away from Plushenko like Transitions score. She is very far away from ''perfect components example'' like some people try to sell.:rolleye:

But there are 5 components. How many active skaters could flow over the ice and vary speed and direction and lean such a deep edge like CaroK? I do think Zhenya is good but I can't see how she deserves higher SS especially over CaroK. I personally think Zhenya deserves perfect 10 for PE for her innate ability to connect to audience but the choreo and interpretation of the piece of music is rather suspect. She does deserve better TR but when you read the IJS explanation on what constitutes transitions, it can also be argued that CaroK does less transitions but of higher complexity and she effectively uses more upper body movements in transitions as opposed to more basic variety from Zhenya. On TV, Zhenya is more noticeable but I can imagine that up live, CaroK movement will appear more appealing. I think due to her maturity, she maintained the character and choreo throughout which arguably deserves great scores in PCS. Her tech was fairly marked lower due to lower BV but she has noticeably improved her spin centering and the flow out of the jumps and the extensions are still some of the best and can only add to the TR. I wouldn't begrudge her the TR PCS thus.

Globetrotter

Medalist

It's the big question on all our mind. It's not the skaters fault but the judging. Just imagine that Ashley Wagner getting like mid to high 8s for SS and Zhenya getting 9s with their average bladework and movements that are certainly not effortless. The step sequence is just a big giveaway. Yet both surely deserve high 9s for performance. Somehow, judges take the approach of "I think your overall PCS is 8.75, so lets distribute your components around this". It's a tough job.

lost3iron

More Rock & Roll please!
On the Ice
Ivan Vasilievich Changes Professions with english subtitles:
http://youtu.be/m3xVdxDWFWU

I discovered this youtube channel thanks to my friends, just few months ago. It's a treasure chest of cinema classics. Almost all those oldies have a version with eng subtitles embedded. I usually sort those movies by popularity, pick one and then find the version with subtitles on the same yt channel. Some of them are kind cool. Especially those Tarkovsky movies. :)
Thank you very much! This youtube channel is awesome, I subscribed immediately. I am ready for some Russian Classics binge watching.

Mirunna

Record Breaker

I've heard this even in the commentary (i think Ryan at NBC), but i don't know what free skate you saw from her, this is pretty much what she is capable of. If she adds the Lutz keeping the 3t-3t, i think that could be the most difficult program she's ever done.

Prior to Vancouver, her layout included 7 triples, repeating the flip and toeloop, and two 2A, her combos including 3F-3T, 2A-3T.
Since 2011 she did watered down her content (I remember a season when her most difficult jump was 3Loop). However, by Sochi, she had the lutz and the flip back in her programs, but she never went back to a full 7 triples and two 2A if I recall correctly

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

No. Carolina has done two 3-3's in her FS in the past, 3Lz-3T and 3F-3T and she also did 3F-3T-2Lo in competition. I remember that, when she was 16, she did 3Lz-3T, 3F-3T and 2A-1Lo-3S in competition. And yes, in one FS.

Last edited:

npavel

On the Ice
Prior to Vancouver, her layout included 7 triples, repeating the flip and toeloop, and two 2A, her combos including 3F-3T, 2A-3T.
Since 2011 she did watered down her content (I remember a season when her most difficult jump was 3Loop). However, by Sochi, she had the lutz and the flip back in her programs, but she never went back to a full 7 triples and two 2A if I recall correctly
She did the full set of 7 triples in Sochi