2017 Four Continents Men FS | Page 84 | Golden Skate

2017 Four Continents Men FS

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I actually had a laugh watching b esp on Hanyu discussing is his best days over... seriously ? The guy is now propably motivated more than he ever was, and just did physically something he wouldn't be able to do before. Now he has to peak at Worlds at put this puzzles together.

Nathan is actually good for this sport, because Hanyu won't let him take over. I'm hoping and expecting nice battle at Worlds

Hanyu will upgrade to super Hanyu again by worlds. The sport won't get boring. By the look of things, the sport is ready to reward him with new WRs, he just need to deliver. It is a testament to his character he just did the business.

Nathen with the better choreographic program can be really competitive, though.

I'd also like skaters to able to compete through PCS, but it doesn't seem possible at the moment. The marks are too homogenised.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So I should believe you about doing this particularly layout and training 4T every jumping pass or so, but not his own words about which kind of emergency layouts he has trained and planned. Even when he himself said to Brain in K&C his plan A was to pull out a 2slo4s. His plan B was to go with his standard emergency layout of 4s3t instead of 3a3t but since both of them didn't work out (one because he hadn't enough speed out of the euler, plan B cause he felt his legs too tight after the first 4t) he decided to try out of blue another scenario.

(Btw, trying another 4s instead of his 3a3t is what he did in his practice yesterday too, what a surprise)

Why would his plan A be 2S+1L+4S? Wasn't plan A to actually do a 4S series after the halfway point?

Also I never said anything about "training 4T every jumping pass or so".

As much as you feel like insulting me for my lack of reading comprehension you should consider crafting posts that are easier to comprehend, and refer to actual comments I've made instead of making stuff up. (And apologies if English is your second language.)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
For sure. Btw, why wasn't Fernandez here?
Our beloved Spaniard has the advantage of being allowed to compete at Europeans - which he won the 5th time in a row!

By the way - I really enjoyed this competition and I would have been ok with either Nathan or Yuzuru as the winner. It was very close. Worlds is going to be great but I have my doubts that Javier is going to win it again ...

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Why would his plan A be 2S+1L+4S? Wasn't plan A to actually do a 4S series after the halfway point?

my guess is it would be the best way to make up for popping 4S without changing his layout and lowering his TES so much, his combos would be 2S1/2lo4S and 3A3T instead of 4S3T and 3A1/2lo3S, which would mean only point loss is doubling the 3S at the combo, but adding 4S as the latter part of the combo isnt that easy obviously, esp during competitin

Lys

Match Penalty

Also I never said anything about "training 4T every jumping pass or so".

As much as you feel like insulting me for my lack of reading comprehension you should consider crafting posts that are easier to comprehend, and refer to actual comments I've made instead of making stuff up. (And apologies if English is your second language.)

Because we are talking about layout CHANGES and about what he himself said to Brian in K&C

Let's make it easy: to do a 4S combo as fourth jumping pass is his PLANNED layout. No need to change anything there.
His first OPTION and his own intention today once he popped his layout (aka EMERGENCY PLAN A) was to do a 2slo4s
His second OPTION once he failed that (aka EMERGENCY PLAN B) was to do a 4s3t instead of 3a3t

Clear enough for you? Do I need to use some other symbols to list his option in order? It's really not that hard to get, my english writing skills notwithstanding.

And I've been answering (uselessly since it seems you can't even remember what you wrote) about you saying a 4T-combo must have been his emergency layout planned all the way (aka he must train for it. Exactly as he trains to put another 4S should the second one go astay). Even after people (uselessly, since it seems you read only what you want) repeated you ad nauseam why he and his team decided against doing two 4T in his layout and even after it was quoted to you more than once his own convo with Brian in K&C about that.

But hey, feel free to keep playing this way.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When Nathan skated his free, he needed 200 points to win. He got 115 in tech so I was pretty sure he was going to win. I figured he would get 85 in PCS (8.5 average). I don't think that would have been out of line. It is 9 points lower than Hanyu's score. He ended up with 88, which may be too high, but even had he been scored more reasonably (85), he still would have won. Nathan has let the others know that they are going to have to skate without mistakes to beat him if they can't match his technical content.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I really do like Nathan as a skater and I am happy he won. He is young and fresh and I do think he is trying pc wise (so to speak). Great work by Hanyu as usual and Boyang and Uno are showing why they are great technicians. I have to admit it is both exciting and in a way sad though the direction men and pairs skating. I liked combination moreso of artistry and athleticism And now everyone's programs are looking the samme and the push is felt for tech elements more than ever - it always has been there but now it is out of control. I really hope it doesn't take a major injury or someone getting crippled. But I guess I am biased. i much preferred Hanyu when he didn't try so many quads. I still prefer Brown and Chan who seem to be pure brilliant skaters and are really decent technicians but for the push for multiple quads. I know some people use to talk about the skating quality of John Curry and Toller Cranston - Brown and Chan are examples of such fine skating but unlike Curry and Cranston they bring far more sp eed and power and difficult jumps - yes, these jumps are difficult by these two guys - not the quads of Chen, Boyang, Uno. But there is something being lost. Even when they try to be artistic these newer guys do not convey the blend of both but ratherr I need to appear artistic for the marks. Its great the tech push these skaters are doing but it seems at such a high cost.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Because we are talking about layout CHANGES and about what he himself said to Brian in K&C

Let's make it easy: to do a 4S combo as fourth jumping pass is his PLANNED layout. No need to change anything there.
His first OPTION and his own intention today once he popped his layout (aka EMERGENCY PLAN A) was to do a 2slo4s
His second OPTION once he failed that (aka EMERGENCY PLAN B) was to do a 4s3t instead of 3a3t

Clear enough for you? Do I need to use some other symbols to list his option in order? It's really not that hard to get, my english writing skills notwithstanding.

And I've been answering (uselessly since it seems you can't even remember what you wrote) about you saying a 4T-combo must have been his emergency layout planned all the way (aka he must train for it. Exactly as he trains to put another 4S should the second one go astay). Even after people (uselessly, since it seems you read only what you want) repeated you ad nauseam why he and his team decided against doing two 4T in his layout ad nauseam and even after it was quoted to you more than once his own convo with Brian in K&C about that.

But hey, feel free to keep playing this way.

Lol, no need to rage. I was simply asking for clarification, because a plan A refers to an original plan and a plan B refers to the backup (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/plan-b). So the way you phrased it, it was as though you were saying a 2S half loop 4S was his original plan.

It's odd that his plan B ( or - all caps - EMERGENCYBACKUPPLAN A!!!) in the event of doubling his second quad salchow is to do a half loop and attempt the 4S. I know we've seen him play around with that in practices/exhibitions, but it's hugely risky rather than just doing a half loop into a 3S or gather himself and do the third combination on a later jumping pass. With an awkward double like that it's practically impossible to do a 4S on the third jump (mind you, a quad has never been executed in the latter part/s of a combo).

Also that's got to be the first time anyone has ever landed a combination on their non-landing foot and gotten mostly 0 and even a +1 (letting alone preceding it with a doubled jump).

Last edited:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I must say the most entertaining thing for me at 4cc was Raf's expressions throughout!

His water bottle in the short program, his face when Nathan comes off the ice, his yelling at the boards when Nathan was going into the triple axel, his getting Hanyu's autograph.

He gave us some funny stuff this week.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am wondering if this 4ccs really is a sign that it is over for Chan who at his age really will find it hard to get more quads and the scoring system has no more room pc wise really for him. And Brown. Jason is a good olympic cycle younger but in this age where artistry or pcs are so close that the difference between him and Chen is relatively negligle he can't compete score wise. even with a quad toe that at best puts him equivalent to Chan who is still better pc wise. and he really isn't competitive (plus he isn't consistent on his jumps). Also, looking at the results there is hope or upswing from Boyang Shoma and Nathan. But not so good for Chan, Brown or Reynolds. With Nathan fimrly usa no. 1 there is no need for the usfa to hold up Brown. Zhou and Rippon who imho is a very fine pc skater are both capable, able to be above Brown. I kind of think poor Grant H gets forgotten. He impresses me - always solid. I am wondering if Canada is deep down thinking Nam may have more hope than Reynolds? I do think Nam needs to still mature as a skater, gain a lot more power and speed, and consistency on rotating thejumps which really has a lot to do with his extreme body changes.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Our beloved Spaniard has the advantage of being allowed to compete at Europeans - which he won the 5th time in a row!

By the way - I really enjoyed this competition and I would have been ok with either Nathan or Yuzuru as the winner. It was very close. Worlds is going to be great but I have my doubts that Javier is going to win it again ...

I have been saying that Hanyu or Nathan for the win.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's odd that his plan B ( or - all caps - EMERGENCYBACKUPPLAN A!!!) in the event of doubling his second quad salchow is to do a half loop and attempt the 4S. I know we've seen him play around with that in practices/exhibitions, but it's hugely risky rather than just doing a half loop into a 3S or gather himself and do the third combination on a later jumping pass.

And the advantage of doing a 4S over a 3S is not really clear to you? I'll give you a hint: in short, it starts with a B, and ends with a V :yes:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Wow, amazing and impressive skate from Yuzuru today. Great job thinking on the fly!

also, why pchiddy and han yan :sad21:

Hanyu apparently had back-up plan and trained different saving layouts (wise) if something went wrong but it still takes level-headedness and skill to pull it off!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hanyu apparently had back-up plan and trained different saving layouts (wise) if something went wrong but it still takes level-headedness and skill to pull it off!

This is way not easy to do. It takes the ability to leave the concentration zone on the much rehearsed program, think on ones feet, and using spacial coceptualization, insert new components in space
and time....it is one thing for Russian ladies to be able to insert a missed combo later in the short program....quite another to do what people like Hanyu can do and keep up the artistry and make things
look as seemless as possible. All while being physically tired....there are comps that were lost because a skater could not think to add a simple double to a program component. Hanyu is to be commended.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hanyu is my big favorite, and his FS was so elegant and expressive. But it seemed to me he was so wrapped up in the music he let that 4s combo get by him, and lost a lot of points. He improvised to make up the difference, but it made the program a bit disjointed. He deserved to win the FS, but his mistake in the SP is what gave the victory to Nathan.

Nathan was a little more sloppy than usual, but he did up the ante with two 3as instead of one. He could avoid the Zayak if he did 2lo as the third jump in the combo (which he usually does).

Worlds is going to be very exciting. I am torn as I want both Yuzu and Nathan to win!!!!