2017 GP Internationaux de France Pairs SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Internationaux de France Pairs SP

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
An improved performance from T/M. I still think they need to work on the ending, the music is very fast towards the end, I like the ending pose. The steps were a bit messy but everything else was top notch, I particularly liked their spin. Seeing them skate after J/C, really emphasized the gap in class for me. T/M are a level above them.

J/C skated well. No doubt they have greatly improved in recent seasons but their is still a gap to the top teams. Their style works really well for them. The Italians skated really well, I like this programme for them, working with Team Mozer has really benefitted them. I would like to see them on the podium.

I/M have a battle on their hands this season. The competition has beeen upped in Canada, I’m no longer convinced their are a lock for the Olympics. This was a step in the right direction, Lubov landed her sbs but Dylan messed up. I like the programme, I hope they skate well in the free. Disappointed for the Chinese, she is having jumps problems. Their PCS are not great, they didn’t even break 30, that’s a worry for them. After they paired up, they looked very promising but they have regressed since then.

bobbob

Medalist
An improved performance from T/M. I still think they need to work on the ending, the music is very fast towards the end, I like the ending pose. The steps were a bit messy but everything else was top notch, I particularly liked their spin. Seeing them skate after J/C, really emphasized the gap in class for me. T/M are a level above them.

J/C skated well. No doubt they have greatly improved in recent seasons but their is still a gap to the top teams. Their style works really well for them. The Italians skated really well, I like this programme for them, working with Team Mozer has really benefitted them. I would like to see them on the podium.

I/M have a battle on their hands this season. The competition has beeen upped in Canada, I’m no longer convinced their are a lock for the Olympics. This was a step in the right direction, Lubov landed her sbs but Dylan messed up. I like the programme, I hope they skate well in the free. Disappointed for the Chinese, she is having jumps problems. Their PCS are not great, they didn’t even break 30, that’s a worry for them. After they paired up, they looked very promising but they have regressed since then.

Agree re Tarasova Morosov that you can tell the stark contrast in skating skill between them and everyone else, though I do think the PCS categories of CO and IN need to be lower than what S/H, S/M, even S/K get. This will probably be more evident in the free but their PCS doesn't seem to accurately reflect their skating. The SP here was very good, the score would have been 79 without the violation, within striking distance of Sui Han (I think a bigger gap is justified). Anyways, they deserved the lead definitely.

J/C's style works well, score was fine since the elements did not have the quality overall. I/M need to step it up, I agree, though I do think the judges like them better than S/B...if they as cleanly as S/B and MT/M they will still finish 2nd at Nats. Interesting what you say about the Chinese, I don't really think the've regressed as much as the scores seem to suggest...their PCS last season was 32/65...even with SBS mistakes I dont understand why it went down to 29/59 all of a sudden since the rest of the program is as good. They got pretty good scores at Finlandia??? i believe.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
T/M's score is a joke. Their footwork sequence was bad and they are so vanilla with their positions throughout and seriously lack chemistry and presentation ability. Nothing special about their basic skating either. Without being from Russia these scores would never be happening.

J/C were the best here, even if I continue to not love this program for them. They have sensuality and strength and their entries are fabulous.

I wish Peng would land her jumps more, Peng/Jin are super cute.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
just re-watched Vanessa and Morgan (I know, I'm behind...) and SIZZLE alert!:drama:

I'm just glad that they finally embraced their natural manner and chemistry of relationship to use it for the best on ice in competition - when they perform to the music, it's them playing on their connection to give out the sense, emotion - and this is not playing characters, trying to fit inside others' shoes. Probably the only Pairs team for me to work that soundly and well with those pop/modern songs with lyrics - somehow, they manage to translate this grittiness, modernity, 'now' factor of songs into actual, competitive performance AD succeed with it. I know they may not have the edges skill and fluidity/lines showed by other top teams, they may not have 'classical' Pairs image out there, but I truly respect - and admire - their staying true t themselves and play on the aesthetic suiting them the best: I love how each choreography design, music choice, every little transitional detail in their programs seem to mirror who they are, fitting to them, not the other way around. This 'identity', such sound presence they've developed in so little time really leaves a mark, lasting impression on their every performance - especially now when they hit their content execution-wise pretty consistently. Their rise resembles for me in some extend Adam Rippon's journey - they seem so much more at ease just doing 'themselves' on ice, grasping everything what comes to them, not fitting into some imaginary perfection of Pairs told by others.

This SP oozes sensuality, edge, passion, chemistry - and yet again, choreography, whole design of the program plays so, so well on the musical accents, their movement, shaprness of it. Love particularly enterance to the twist, entrance to the death spiral, timing on the throw jump and my absolute fave: entrance to the lift:love: - just exquisite!

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Okay I just watched Peng/Jin and I need to know : Will we ever see Yu/Jin again? :( After the Olympics maybe?? That short program would have been such a masterpiece if Jin had skated with Yu... Peng is capable, but they just don't have the chemistery and languidity together.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Okay I just watched Peng/Jin and I need to know : Will we ever see Yu/Jin again? :( After the Olympics maybe?? That short program would have been such a masterpiece if Jin had skated with Yu... Peng is capable, but they just don't have the chemistery and languidity together.

Unfortunately I don't think so. Last season after the switch, Peng/Jin and Yu/Zhang had relative success, so I doubt they'll switch. I'm with you though, I loved the original pairs together.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

I don't think we would ever see Yu with Jin as a team because she will continuously be paired with Zhang until Beijing. So definitely not after this Olympics and she will be 26 years old in 2022, so she could consider retirement after that. I loved Yu/Jin, but also like Yu/Zhang as a team, the latter of which oozes more powerful and charismatic atmosphere. Though Yu/Jin might pull such performances off as they go mature together if they were still held their partnership.

As for Peng/Jin, Peng is still struggling with her jumps, but is very young, so let's give them a little time as a fan hoping that they glue together. Marchei and Hotarek started very promising in their first season, but they struggled since then, and finally delivered two clean programs at Helsinki until last season (earning two Oly tickets for their country :thumbsup:), so generally paired partnership requires a lot of time and disciplines than what we assume.

bobbob

Medalist
I don't think we would ever see Yu with Jin as a team because she will continuously be paired with Zhang until Beijing. So definitely not after this Olympics and she will be 26 years old in 2022, so she could consider retirement after that. I loved Yu/Jin, but also like Yu/Zhang as a team, the latter of which oozes more powerful and charismatic atmosphere. Though Yu/Jin might pull such performances off as they go mature together if they were still held their partnership.

As for Peng/Jin, Peng is still struggling with her jumps, but is very young, so let's give them a little time as a fan hoping that they glue together. Marchei and Hotarek started very promising in their first season, but they struggled since then, and finally delivered two clean programs at Helsinki until last season (earning two Oly tickets for their country :thumbsup:), so generally paired partnership requires a lot of time and disciplines than what we assume.

The thing is, the chances of Hao Zhang going until Beijing are, I would say, less than 50%. He would be 37-38 (my many accounts, actually 40) by Beijing, and that does seem a bit too old to be a sure thing. Also, I think he peaked in 2006, and it's unlikely the judges will suddenly think of Yu/Zhang as a top team again, even though they are a pretty strong pair with great skating skills. They will constantly be under the shadows of Sui/Han.

The unfortunate thing is that both Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin are really strong pairs, but they won't be considered top-tier as long as Sui/Han are around simply because they come from the same country. Had Sui/Han never came back from her injury, I would expect Yu/Zhang to be viewed on the same level as Tarasova/Morosov right now. Instead, they are a tier below...

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The thing is, the chances of Hao Zhang going until Beijing are, I would say, less than 50%. He would be 37-38 (my many accounts, actually 40) by Beijing, and that does seem a bit too old to be a sure thing. Also, I think he peaked in 2006, and it's unlikely the judges will suddenly think of Yu/Zhang as a top team again, even though they are a pretty strong pair with great skating skills. They will constantly be under the shadows of Sui/Han.

The unfortunate thing is that both Yu/Zhang and Peng/Jin are really strong pairs, but they won't be considered top-tier as long as Sui/Han are around simply because they come from the same country. Had Sui/Han never came back from her injury, I would expect Yu/Zhang to be viewed on the same level as Tarasova/Morosov right now. Instead, they are a tier below...

You can say Zhang's career peaked at 2006 by winning the Olympic silver with Dan, but I don't think his capability peaked in 2006 and then has continuously declined. His presentation skills didn't comply with his technical elements, so Zhang/Zhang were still considered behind the great Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong when it came to artistry. I liked Zhang/Zhang's progress since Turin to 2010, but Dan grew too tall as a pair skater. He is still robust and healthy, so I'm not certain about his future form in 2022. For example, I honestly felt shocked when Aliona announced to stay one more cycle because I thought she was already old for pair skaters in 2014, and another Oly challenge with ANOTHER partner? Well, I cheered for her, but didn't believe it. However, despite all concerns, she has been doing good so far because Aliona is still Aliona. In the same vein, I can't be sure about Zhang's future physical status until the time comes. Men and women are also physically different.

Though can I imagine Zhang as a future Olympic champion in Beijing? Nope, unless they raise their level of elements significantly although their twist is spectacular and they're gluing together as time goes by. What I agree with your opinion is they wouldn't be considered Chinese No. 1 as long as Sui/Han are around. Even if Sui/Han win the 2018 Olympics, they might challenge another Olympic as they are still pretty young and who knows? Their caliber can be enough to become two-time Olympic champions after the Russians in the past.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Unfortunately I don't think so. Last season after the switch, Peng/Jin and Yu/Zhang had relative success, so I doubt they'll switch. I'm with you though, I loved the original pairs together.

It'd be such a shame if Yu and Jin don't go back together... And their coach had such great chemistery with his partner, I don't like to believe he is so cynical. I also think Jin is better than Zhang as a skater and deserves better than be relegated to third tier Chinese pair. Also I agree that I don't see Zhang (or Peng) as an olympic or world champion, whereas I could see it of Yu and Jin. Anyway, I'll just keep hoping in my corner.

Ender

Match Penalty
Hao Zhang is a great pair skater but as many people have expressed their worries, I am not sure he will skate at his peak in 2022... hopefully he is healthy.