2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2017 GP NHK Trophy Short Dance

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Without any mistakes, V/M should be first in the SD no matter how P/C skate. In the FD I guess the judges go with P/C. It will be so close...

rain

Record Breaker
WTH is this? Scott looks very manly and attractive tonight. Plz don't force your own judgement on everyone else. And not everyone like those feminine traits on a man.

I wouldn't say the other men in question are "feminine" in any way, but yeah, in no way would I ever describe Scott Moir as "chunky". And his lines are in no way lacking or sloppy.

I find it hilarious that people used to diss this team by trying to pretend that Scott was the better skater and partner, and Tessa not as good as him. I remember all too well the claims that Scott was the best male ice dancer in the world, but oh, what a shame that he was stuck with the chunky and overly "big" and inferior Tessa. Now people are trying to claim Scott is "chunky", not tall or strong enough for Tessa, and that he's lumbering along clunkily beside her. How utterly disingenuous; what a lame and mean-spirited attempt to run down this team once again.

(And yes, I have a huge problem with those that try to run down Gabby Papadakis as somehow holding Cizeron back, when she's the one that emotionally sells their programs, but that's another rant.)

Astrid56

Final Flight
Again, inflated scores :disagree:. I think the judges purposely inflate some scores to enable their preferred teams vying for the coveted remaining 3 spots to get to the GP finals. Politics is still a big issue in ice-dancing. The Shibs, for sure, will win Skate America so they along with V/M and P/C will head to the GPF. H/D is guaranteed a spot based on their scores. W/P is likely to have one of the remaining spots having earned 190 in Skate Canada) and the other will be a fight between C/B or C/L with the latter most likely getting the coveted last spot based on their SD score 75.87 (the NHK scoring doesn't bode well for Chock and Bates). B/S of Russia are definitely out of contention for this spot due to their CofC scores.

Eislauf

On the Ice
WTH is this? Scott looks very manly and attractive tonight. Plz don't force your own judgement on everyone else. And not everyone like those feminine traits on a man.

Um..this is a forum for critiqueing skating and expressing personal opinions, which I did, and which I'm entitled to, just as you are entitled to your personal opinions. No-one's forcing any opinions on anybody.

I also made no comment about "manly" or "feminine traits". You did. Tight clothes have nothing to do with manliness or femininity.

I was pointing out that Scott might look better in a costume that isn't so tight. To my eyes, he looked a bit chunky 'round the middle. Not everyone looks good in tight clothes.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I agree, I thought it looked a little better at Skate Canada. I thought at the beginning of the dance especially it looked like the adrenaline was running high. I agree they can relax into it a little more. But this is splitting hairs.

I find it almost amusing that everyone seems so fixated on V/M dooming themselves with imperfections — it's not like P/C haven't been known to make costly errors at inopportune times, why is everyone assuming they'll be faultless?

I think it's pretty normal for most teams to miss a level here or there at some point in the season. I just don't think anyone needs to freak out over every step. This is the process of perfecting these programs.

I agree that no one can be perfect all the time. At the end it will all come down to the face off, no matter how much mistake you make during the GPs. I think everyone is getting stressed because of the 2013-2014 season where V/M kept making mistakes and D/W were often foot-perfect (I agree that it might have played on PCS at the time) but there's a huge difference : they look a thousand times more ready, not bothered by the programs this time, that makes all the difference.

apple123

On the Ice
I wouldn't say the other men in question are "feminine" in any way, but yeah, in no way would I ever describe Scott Moir as "chunky". And his lines are in no way lacking or sloppy.

I find it hilarious that people used to diss this team by trying to pretend that Scott was the better skater and partner, and Tessa not as good as him. I remember all too well the claims that Scott was the best male ice dancer in the world, but oh, what a shame that he was stuck with the chunky and overly "big" and inferior Tessa. Now people are trying to claim Scott is "chunky", not tall or strong enough for Tessa, and that he's lumbering along clunkily beside her. How utterly disingenuous; what a lame and mean-spirited attempt to run down this team once again.

(And yes, I have a huge problem with those that try to run down Gabby Papadakis as somehow holding Cizeron back, when she's the one that emotionally sells their programs, but that's another rant.)

Don't you get it now? Some people will always put V/M down for some ridiculous reason. And for the record I think Scott is the definition of male ice dancer, strong and elegant, can stand on his own and also make his female partner better.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Does anyone know the TES of V/M without any mistakes? Or at least approximately how much the error today costs.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Does anyone know the TES of V/M without any mistakes? Or at least approximately how much the error today costs.

+1 for the level on twizzles
If you take their Twz from SCI, about +0.90 more (if you go with stricter judges, not so much, but the juges were really giving the GOEs today, so I think you can count that)
Yes that is huge. Around 2 points.

rain

Record Breaker
I agree that no one can be perfect all the time. At the end it will all come down to the face off, no matter how much mistake you make during the GPs. I think everyone is getting stressed because of the 2013-2014 season where V/M kept doing mistake and D/W were often foot-perfect (I agree that it might have played on PCS at the time) but there's a huge difference : they look a thousand times more ready, not bothered by the programs this time, that makes all the difference.

Oh, I get where all the stress is coming from. But I agree with you that V/M are in a far different — and better — position this time around. They are stronger skaters than ever and they have great material this year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
first of all - so much good dancing and performances there! It was a really good event in my opinion.

Really good for Victoria and Nikita to hit the levels and choreography hard and effective. Sure, I'd love more isolation and control of movement overall (especially from him), but they sold the vibe nicely and looked like they really cared for that one. I'm positively surprised about Victoria, because for me she really 'leads' and carries the dance forward: expression, finishing of poses, nice flow in the body; yes, some will focus on her shallow edges or ice coverage, but she improved very much performance-wise for me, which improved the overall image and perception for me. And I love the understated vibe of the choreography, music chosen - enough to show off the dance and connection, not veering into telenovela land.

Anna and Luca and Laurence/Nikolai were pure class for me - just exquisite cohesion between every element in their performances: costuming, attitude, flow, character...It really shows the gret value of performance from Italians,the way they are so in synch with each other for the whole dance, their musicality and intention to have fun, cheeky moment out there; there is no 'acting' Latina or 'playing' it, it's just their way of interpretation of the theme and rhythm. I love the sass and how mature, consciously controlled the performance was, yet with a bit of cheeky smile and 'tongue-in-cheek' expression. Although it was not purely Latin or 'ballroom 101' type of dance, I really like their way of carriage and movement, particularly from Luca, he's one of the best partners: just quality in lines, frames, connection, paying attention to the partner, self-presentation. And Anna, again gives fashion police lessons, such a pretty dress, and she did not age a bit since 2012! Danes were fantastic, too - I love the suave feel of that dance, laced with a bit of 'wink' to the convention. This SD is all about stylish, cohesive and sophisticated interpretation of Latin theme and rhythms, mirroring more of their personal aesthetic and signature style, way of expression with so much of elegance. Also, I love the flow between elements in that dance and how Nkolai led it, framed to emphasise the gorgeousness of Laurance. The important thing for me is also their chemistry which affects, elevates so much their performances: they seemed to seduce each other out there, but the audience also got charmed in the process. They could use more speed and elevation, coverage in step sequences, but I think that overall this is the best I've seen the performing this season, I just love their conviction and dedication to the character and performance.

Madison and Zach - wow, that perfromance was top-notch and smoking hot. They truly learned how to sell the dance convincingly, how to charm the crowd with chemistry going between them. I just love, love that dance, concept of it from start to finish - it was not only designed to the Latin music, but it feels Latin in expression, sensuality of movement. The polish and sleek outlook of the choreography is fantastic, especially with such strong execution. One of few dances with authentic flow and continuity out there, with moderated/controlled tempo changes, rhythms variation incorporated AND executed flawlessly. I love the musicality of movement and in every little gesture, transition. Their edge work and isolations in non-touching step sequence - just superb, easy to look at and enjoy the moment; love also the fluidity of partial step with their signature lift in the end. Yes, the spin at the end felt not as sharp as at ACI or SC, but still this is one of the sassiest moments in SD this season. Madison looks better and better - her look, hair, dress, colouring is great this season, goes so well with her beauty and with the vibe of the dance, cannot take my eyes of her!

With Tessa and Scott, I'm glad to see a maintenance of the integrity and quality of the performance, even with the stumble and a bit too much of hesitation in the ending sequence. For me, this is the kind of concept, choreography that has to be properly sold and presented expression-wise and movement-wise to succeed and reach audience; of course, execution, the immacculate factor of it, is very important, but with this kind of bold concept, backed with loud image and vivid expression they have to balance it all out and make it pop as a wholesome, not only in parts. Tessa's body actions, control of movement, finishing quality, isolations, core work put out there along with edge polish is out of this world, and she seems so in the zone while performing. Their non-touching step sequence - hands down the highlight every time they are performing it, EVERY step, stop, turn, connection is just perfection, no other team has this kind of fluidity and edge work in this element maintaned continously. And what I like about their expression is the feel of having simply a good time with performing, rhythms interpretation, even with such 'embelished' concept and loud aesthetic, they bodies, chemistry seem to give out the signal of 'owning' this moment and material. About the stumble and nervy ending...I do wonder if this was just too much of excitement and bit of focus lost from Scott's part, being so close to the end after such great quality of work put so far or this is already about thinking too much about scores of their competitors. It's really sad if it's the later - I wish this was only competition pressure and nothing else. It's plain sad to see so much opinions, evaluations already made about them only through 200 pts mark score; none of the teams should be evaluated only by a certain point mark, if they can pass it or not, if French team did it already - good for them to do it, but it does not mean that other should - and would - automatically follow the suit to be on the same level. What I'd like to see is the improvement shown competition by competiton and focusing on making all aspects of performance work and then the scores awarded for that, regardless of value. I just wish that their journey and great built of their programs would not be lost just because their mind is more on certain mark, to hit it asap instead of focusing on themselves and this very moment of competition.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Pretty great performance by Tessa and Scott! :)

But the GOE for those twizzles were ridiculous. That judge who gave the +2/+3s, come onnnnnn. :unsure:

Same with the judge who gave them a 10.00 for Performance. There was such an obvious stumble!! :rolleye:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Again, inflated scores :disagree:. I think the judges purposely inflate some scores to enable their preferred teams vying for the coveted remaining 3 spots to get to the GP finals. Politics is still a big issue in ice-dancing. The Shibs, for sure, will win Skate America so they along with V/M and P/C will head to the GPF. H/D is guaranteed a spot based on their scores. W/P is likely to have one of the remaining spots having earned 190 in Skate Canada) and the other will be a fight between C/B or C/L with the latter most likely getting the coveted last spot based on their SD score 75.87 (the NHK scoring doesn't bode well for Chock and Bates). B/S of Russia are definitely out of contention for this spot due to their CofC scores.

Chock/Bates won't have to worry about tiebreaker score at all if they place 2nd at their next event. As long as they beat Weaver/Poje in France then they will be locked in for GPF.

Bcash

Final Flight
Wow S/K actually showed much quality here. I thought they were on some self-destructive downhill slope based on things I heard. They looked tense afterwards though.

Eislauf

On the Ice
whoa. Expressing a negative opinion does not automatically mean someone is "trying to run down" or discredit a certain skater or pair. That's quite a defensive assumption. It's possible to entertain more nuanced opinions, to simultaneously like and dislike elements of a pair. Tessa skates like a superstar, imho, whereas Scott does not. Luca is sensational but I have issues with the "perky" music and skating skills of his partner. For me at least, it's critical analysis, not dog-piling on a given skater or team.

Bcash

Final Flight
Anything below 9 in Performance and interpretation of music for H/D is quite judging by name rather than the skate. I would say it should at least be all 9s for SS as well.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Chock/Bates won't have to worry about tiebreaker score at all if they place 2nd at their next event. As long as they beat Weaver/Poje in France then they will be locked in for GPF.

I also wouldn't say Hubbell and Donohue are guaranteed a spot; they need to win the silver here with a good score to win the tie break over Weaver & Poje or Chock & Bates depending on who finishes 3rd in France and Anna & Luca if they're 2nd in the US (which should be no problem); three teams are very likely to end up with a silver and bronze to fight for 1 GPF spot (4 if you count Bobrova & Soloviev).

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I also wouldn't say Hubbell and Donohue are guaranteed a spot; they need to win the silver here with a good score to win the tie break over Weaver & Poje or Chock & Bates depending on who finishes 3rd in France and Anna & Luca if they're 2nd in the US (which should be no problem); three teams are very likely to end up with a silver and bronze to fight for 1 GPF spot (4 if you count Bobrova & Soloviev).

If they are not 2nd, I think they might be definitely out of the GPF. V/M, P/C and Shibs are going.
If C/B are 2nd in France, they are going, and WeaPo, C/L and B/S are tie-breaker (because I don't see C/L them being any less than 2nd at Skate Am). If WeaPo are 2nd, same thing (tie breaker between 4 teams that does not include H/D). They have no choice but to keep their 2nd place or it might be game over. :cry: