2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 GP Skate Canada Pairs FS

rain

Record Breaker
This was an interesting event.

So nice to see D/R come back from what was a really tough season last year and a lacklustre start to this season. They've put themselves back in the mix. They don't have the traditional lines etc. but they do have exceptional speed and they are exciting to watch.

I like Savchenko and Massot's program. Some interesting choreography. Love the one arm press lift.

I'm not as huge a James/Cipres fan as some here, but good skate. Plus, I envy any woman who can look that good in a skin tight unitard.

I/M had lots of issues today, but I love that free skate. I'm excited that they're going for a quad throw.

Zabiako/Enbert - can someone explain to me the pairing of the light jazz piece of music to start with Sleeping Beauty to end? Odd. Classic Russian team.

I love Denny/Frazier's lift where she flips over in the air to a different position. Wonderful!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Where do you see it? I thought 0 to plus 1 when I saw it. Eric was a little rough on the catch.

The protocol of course - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpcan2017/gpcan2017_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf

Anyway some overall thoughts:

D/R deserved to win but Eric underrotates his Salchow and Meagan underrotates the 2Toe in combo lol. I know Eric has been mad in the past when he got called on it and adamantly said "I don't underrotate my Salchow", but he does. The entrance is pre-rotated and he comes down shorter on the rotation than Meagan does if you compare the two. In general they get so far apart on this combo and don't have good flow on it. Why did they stop doing 3Toe+2Toe+2Toe? That combo worked better for them.

I still have issues with the way they do their "Quad" throw as well...Meagan doesn't release from Eric until she is a full rotation into the throw. It doesn't look like a quad throw in the air. At the same time, the value for this element is too low in the scoring system right now and they are the only team who lands it on one foot. So I can't really be upset about it, even though their technique is flawed. The scoring system needs to be updated, with higher value for quad throws and also providing a scale of values for underrotated throws, something that currently does not exist for some strange reason. This element should be getting scored as a 4Sal< with +1 or +2 GOE, while the Quad throw from James/Cipres should be scored as 4Sal with -2 or -3 GOE.

As for James/Cipres, this program is definitely better for them than the SP, they just need to work on some unison and timing issues. And, again, his costume. WHY are there extra flaps of fabric at the bottom of his shirt, on the front and back? It looks like a button-up onesie that hasn't actually been buttoned up, one of these // see the flaps?. It's just distracting, remove the excess fabric!!

Massot obviously had jump issues today and they went for easy throws only; the performance suffered as a result. Why did they not even get credit for a jump sequence though? He did both jumps, the second one was just a 3Toe<< with a bad landing. I do think they should have finished behind J/C overall after that performance, they got a gift and it might keep J/C out of the GPF as a result, which is annoying.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ whether or not the rotations are there, the reason they dropped the 3toe is because it is painful for Meagan

rain

Record Breaker
The protocol of course - http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gpcan2017/gpcan2017_Pairs_FS_Scores.pdf

Massot obviously had jump issues today and they went for easy throws only; the performance suffered as a result. Why did they not even get credit for a jump sequence though? He did both jumps, the second one was just a 3Toe<< with a bad landing. I do think they should have finished behind J/C overall after that performance, they got a gift and it might keep J/C out of the GPF as a result, which is annoying.

It wasn't just Savchenko/Massot that got entire jumping passes negated because of issues on either just the first or second jump in the combo. Several teams here did. I/M had this problem, and at least one other team, I think. This must be a change in the rules, because I don't remember it being like this in the past. Perhaps someone here can clarify.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Sorry.. I didn't word my question well. What I meant was: What grade would you have given the twist? I would have given it a zero or plus one.

0 or +1 is what I felt also. The exit had a small issue, like she momentarily lost a little balance for a split second when being set down (probably because of his catch, yes). It was a fine twist though, nothing that deserved -GOE to me, but also certainly not a twist that should be getting large +GOE. Other teams do the element much better.

^^ whether or not the rotations are there, the reason they dropped the 3toe is because it is painful for Meagan

Yeah, well, it's Olympic season. Be in pain every day until the season is over, doing what is needed to win, then retire as Olympic Gold Medalists. They are going to get criticized for the flaws of their 3Sal combo if they keep it, that element was always a sore spot for them in the past and it's unlikely to change in just a few months now. The best unison they've ever had on the jump combo was with the 3toe.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
0 or +1 is what I felt also. The exit had a small issue, like she momentarily lost a little balance for a split second when being set down (probably because of his catch, yes). It was a fine twist though, nothing that deserved -GOE to me, but also certainly not a twist that should be getting large +GOE. Other teams do the element much better.

Yeah, well, it's Olympic season. Be in pain every day until the season is over, doing what is needed to win, then retire as Olympic Gold Medalists. They are going to get criticized for the flaws of their 3Sal combo if they keep it, that element was always a sore spot for them in the past and it's unlikely to change in just a few months now. The best unison they've ever had on the jump combo was with the 3toe.

they stopped the 3toe last year... at nationals... meagan was in pain badly because of it... and then, at worlds, they had to do it, because Eric has a hernia and couldn't do the lutz.... they have already said that they are fighting through the season and that after Olympics they will take care of their physical issues.

Nika09

On the Ice
I've got some feelings J/C could do it to GPF. And yaaay if they will! SC was difficult one of their assignments. Next stop is France, where they'll faced T/M, I/M, W/W and P/J. Even if they will placed third there, it's gonna be enough, isn't it?

What's wrong with with P/J? They have best programs among Chinese Pairs this season, good performance, skating skills and jumps when they're on. Just pity couldn't put all this together. Maybe next time. They're still young though

Kinga

Medalist
My summary/fashion police complaints:

Love Pengs dress (these green pieces of fabrics in the skirt made my day) and P/J program.

I am tired of schmaltzy songs for I/M. Also, she needs a new hair style asap. Either grow your hair long, keep it straight and smooth in a pony-tail or cut it short. This half length is just not good.. And the fluffy bangs must go!

Vanessa, you look great in a cat suit, we get it. But don't overdo it.. Even she cannot pull off the grey ombrish pants, sorry. And the beading reaching her deepest.. was just uhm, weird. A soft dress would match that song much better. I found the cat suit distracting.
When it comes to the program, I have mixed feelings. I like the concept, their power, choreography, but at the same time their do not have chemistry to pull it off and their are rough at the edges and at finishing the elements. Something that D/R got a lot of criticism for, but J/C seem to get away with it in the fans eyes.

Z/E. Were they tired of their LP and decided to change it right in the middle of it? I thought that simple elegant costuming was soothing, but boy, I got that wrong... Of course, they HAD TO mess that up with stupid costume change and flappy white flags/handkerchiefs, you name it:palmf:. ?

D/R I love her hairstyle. Perfect. And great 4S.

S/M:

This choreo is trying sooo hard to be clever and #artistic and I'm just not buying it :no:

Posters here crave for creativity, we are so tired of same old same old. And then, when someone comes up with something new and exciting, it is not good either... :scratch: I loveeed the concept and the movements. I'm sure they will polish it and it will be great.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
But never mind about that. Canadian skaters did great except for Patrick :( Canadian fans have every reason to feel proud and happy.

Thanks Mathman and I will always be proud of this Team, including Patrick, irrespective of how they skate. They are awesome group of young people both on/off the ice.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congrats to D/R for the gold! That 4S throw was spectacular and yay for the 3Lz! I think I like their SP more, though, in terms of music but the technical prowess of their FS is wow.

J/C were fantastic, I love them to bits and their new FS is great. I do think I preferred their music choices last season but the moment the instrumentals begin to sweep in in their current FS it brings a certain more epic quality to the program that is lacking in the, well, slightly more boring initial part of the music. Vanessa continues to rock every unitard ever. I hope they can get into the GPF.

I'm rather surprised about S/M not winning this. Wishing them a better FS outing for the next competition!

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
This is going to be difficult, but I really hope for an olympic medal for Vanessa and James. (bronze medal, to be realistic)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Just watched on TV. Oh Bruno....he looked so heartbroken. Congratulations Meagan and Eric!

whatif

Medalist
I've got some feelings J/C could do it to GPF. And yaaay if they will! SC was difficult one of their assignments. Next stop is France, where they'll faced T/M, I/M, W/W and P/J. Even if they will placed third there, it's gonna be enough, isn't it?

Upon reflection, I am not sure if that's so certain. It will depend on how other contenders for the last spot do in their fields, which are S/K and Y/Z. S/K already placed 2nd and will need another 2nd spot to secure theirs, Y/Z has not skated yet but I would assume they should be 2nd in CoC.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Aljona's going to murder Bruno today.

She seemed really sweet and comforting. It doesn't help them to fight, he knows he messed up without her getting furious. I think she's past that. Some KnC situations with Robin were really hard to watch, when he messed up something. I feel a slightly different dynamic between her and Bruno.

Bcash

Final Flight

Anyway some overall thoughts:

I still have issues with the way they do their "Quad" throw as well...Meagan doesn't release from Eric until she is a full rotation into the throw. It doesn't look like a quad throw in the air. At the same time, the value for this element is too low in the scoring system right now and they are the only team who lands it on one foot. So I can't really be upset about it, even though their technique is flawed. The scoring system needs to be updated, with higher value for quad throws and also providing a scale of values for underrotated throws, something that currently does not exist for some strange reason. This element should be getting scored as a 4Sal< with +1 or +2 GOE, while the Quad throw from James/Cipres should be scored as 4Sal with -2 or -3 GOE.

Yeah that was most noticeable for me as well. I was like, that was a 3Th. Then I realized how much she pre-rotated. The best 4ThS I've seen this generation do is still Sui/Han's at one year's 4CC I believe. Also, S/Z's at the 2002 Oylmpics was almost textbook quality before she lost it on the landing. The rotation in the air was perfect tough.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
She seemed really sweet and comforting. It doesn't help them to fight, he knows he messed up without her getting furious. I think she's past that. Some KnC situations with Robin were really hard to watch, when he messed up something. I feel a slightly different dynamic between her and Bruno.
Absolutely, even Ryan Bradley said aliona has looked way more happier these past few years.
Savchenko/Massot for Olympic gold! Please please!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Absolutely, even Ryan Bradley said aliona has looked way more happier these past few years.
Savchenko/Massot for Olympic gold! Please please!

There is a nice article about the relationship between Bruno and Aljona in the German press today.

Bruno said that the first two years were really hard. They argued a lot on the ice. But now their relationship has become deeper and they try to support each other. They really want to fight for that Olympic gold.

I just believe Aljona has calmed down after her wedding last year. Their coach seems to be a great psychologist.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
There is a nice article about the relationship between Bruno and Aljona in the German press today.

Bruno said that the first two years were really hard. They argued a lot on the ice. But now their relationship has become deeper and they try to support each other. They really want to fight for that Olympic gold.

I just believe Aljona has calmed down after her wedding last year. Their coach seems to be a great psychologist.

hehe.. I just pictured Aljona as the ultimate bridezilla!
I'm glad to hear they are getting along better. I'm sure he's under huge pressure skating with a legend like Aljona.