2017 GPF Ladies FS | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies FS

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd be delighted if Maria won. She and Polina are fast becoming my favorite Russian ladies.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Of course why should people focus on the hasbeen novice-level skater Kostner when they should be focusing on those high flying Russians and their undeserved scores. You'd think after 4 years they'd let go but apparently not. I won't be surprise if this lot at home award Kim some sort of medal so that they could claim some form of moral victory on that so called Sochi injustice. So pathetic! Give it a rest por favor.

Oh poppycock...Someone is clearly bitter.

anyanka

Record Breaker
In that scenario I think Maria winning the Olympics would be the most likely outcome. She's not at all the favourite but continues to churn out clean performances and is on almost no ones radar as Russian Number 3. Oh, I can imagine the outcry if that happens.

I wouldn't be mad at it. She's been consistent all year. If everyone else craps out ...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be mad at it. She's been consistent all year. If everyone else craps out ...

I'm pretty sure that her second place here actually bought her the ticket to the Olympics with Anna being off form/injured, Liza having so many issues, and Elena barely making the podium during the GP's. They were building her up at last years Nationals, she has the international experience....I'm sure she's the one who gets to go.

Edit: Totally forgot Polina Tsurskaya. Mmmh, well she's definitely a factor but if she and Maria both skate clean at Nationals I think it will go to Maria as she has more experience and is from another powerful fraction in Russia.

David21

On the Ice
She was marked too low in PCS in her short program, too. Her PCS in performance, interpretation and composition should have been the highest in this event.

I disagree. She was 3rd in the PCS in the SP behind Osmond and Kostner who both skate with more power and have better ice coverage than Satoko and who have great interpretation as well. IMO the judging (for once) was spot on.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I disagree. She was 3rd in the PCS in the SP behind Osmond and Kostner who both skate with more power and have better ice coverage than Satoko and who have great interpretation as well. IMO the judging (for once) was spot on.

I agree. In my opinion all PCS were spot on for the ladies except for Zagitova, who I would have given 33 (minus 1) in the SP and 66 (minus 4) in the LP.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Do you agree, then that Alina should have been 4th? She was scored the same as Satoko for a performance with virtually no interpretation or performance quality.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Osmond's blade usage is not on the same level as Satoko's, watch the turns. Much more labored.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Why don't we ban all judges and from now on let people decide and judge "who don't watch a lot of figure skating". As long as Caro (undeservedly) placed lower, most people here would probably be happy about it :rolleye:
Well, "people here" do watch a lot of figure skating. A lot of them complain that Kostner is being propped up by the judges. I thought my friend's opinion was interesting from the outside point of view of a performer and theater director, as I saw people were discussing Kostner's PCS again. Apparently, her opinion couldn't be more irrelevant and is, moreover, worthy of derision from your perspective, but that's fine. [emoji6]

Personally, I am trying to watch Kostner as carefully as possible to try and understand the point of view of people like yourself who ardently believe that she deserves such high marks. I try to watch every performer with an open mind because I love the sport. I really enjoyed her performances at Rostelecom but not as much at the GPF. I thought they were much less passionate. I have a larger beef with the way PCS is judged and sadly Kostner exemplifies why I dislike it so much. It's nothing against her personally. She's lovely, but like Mao last season, whose beautiful performances did not place her on or near the podium, nor should Carolina's this season. That's my opinion as "someone" "who does watch" "an awful lot of figure skating." [emoji6] But in the end it's still just my opinion. [emoji111]

risingtrot

On the Ice
Happy for Maria for getting a medal. She and Polina are my current favorite Russian skaters. Both are stunning and naturally regal even though some might find them boring. Maria needs to work on her 'Helicopter tano' though. I can definitely sense some rivalry starting between Maria's team vs Eteri's team.

That said given how some are constantly given far too excessive PCS and GOEs, there's really no going back for this inflated scoring. It's seems so easy to get over 200 now.

If Alina becomes consistent, she and Med will continue to dominate for the next few years or so due to their TES, layout plus their ever growing PCS. I hope all skaters would get the same treatment in terms of PCS and GOE but that's not always the case (except for some).

Interesting to see what will happen after the end of this season and the Olympics.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Well, "people here" do watch a lot of figure skating. A lot of them complain that Kostner is being propped up by the judges. I thought my friend's opinion was interesting from the outside point of view of a performer and theater director, as I saw people were discussing Kostner's PCS again. Apparently, her opinion couldn't be more irrelevant and is, moreover, worthy of derision from your perspective, but that's fine. [emoji6]

Personally, I am trying to watch Kostner as carefully as possible to try and understand the point of view of people like yourself who ardently believe that she deserves such high marks. I try to watch every performer with an open mind because I love the sport. I really enjoyed her performances at Rostelecom but not as much at the GPF. I thought they were much less passionate. I have a larger beef with the way PCS is judged and sadly Kostner exemplifies why I dislike it so much. It's nothing against her personally. She's lovely, but like Mao last season, whose beautiful performances did not place her on or near the podium, nor should Carolina's this season. That's my opinion as "someone" "who does watch" "an awful lot of figure skating." [emoji6] But in the end it's still just my opinion. [emoji111]

I think that Carolina does benefit from her name and I wouldn´t be suprised if the goal is to push her for a medal at the Olympics. The ISU want´s these stories and as sad it may sound, Costners medal, would create a bigger headline, than a Russian gold.

That being said, Caro does have certain qualities, that others except Osmond don´t have. She can play with the music and offers variety in her motion and movements. It´s not all the same speed, same smile, it´s a bit of everything, depending of the music. Her Technical abilities are nowhere near the top, Alina is ruling that category before Evgenia and Masha. Latter, is not yet getting the PCs she deserves, else she would be a much bigger competitor for Osmond and Costner in regards of that third Olympic medal.

Same applies for Wakaba, who has not been fully rewarded yet.

If I had a dream podium, I would go for Masha gold, Wakaba silver and Medvedeva bronze. This is not because I don´t like someone, but because of the programs this season and for me, nobody is able to touch me like Masha this year and Wakaba with her james bond program just nails it and Evgenia, even though I am not a fan of her FS, this girl is so talented, the last seasons her programs were an absolute corker to me.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Osmond's blade usage is not on the same level as Satoko's, watch the turns. Much more labored.

Yes, but still Osmond has way better bladework than Zagitova and Medvedeva, both having shallow edges and slow speed as well as very limited ice coverage. Their PCS marks do not reflect their deficiency in skating skills unfortunately, but they lack other departments as well such as posture, jumps and presentation. That's why I'm meh about the newly invented rivalry between the Eteri's girls bestowed by the judges who have made the current ladies event very boring. I've never seen such a lackluster Olympic season since I've followed our sport because there is no distinctive star in the field. I miss super stars' presence and star power! (men's field is doomed by injuries) Anyway, Osmond's steps have speed and power based on her deep edges although her steps are not as much sophisticated and precise as Miyahara's.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Yes, but still Osmond has way better bladework than Zagitova and Medvedeva, both having shallow edges and slow speed as well as very limited ice coverage. Their PCS marks do not reflect their deficiency in skating skills unfortunately, but they lack other departments as well such as posture, jumps and presentation. That's why I'm meh about the newly invented rivalry between the Eteri's girls bestowed by the judges who have made the current ladies event very boring. I've never seen such a lackluster Olympic season since I've followed our sport because there is no distinctive star in the field. I miss super stars' presence and star power! (men's field is doomed by injuries) Anyway, Osmond's steps have speed and power based on her deep edges although her steps are not as much sophisticated and precise as Miyahara's.

Better than Medvedeva??? That has to be the fakest news ever. Osmond doesn't even have a quarter of Med's SS and presentation skills.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think that Carolina does benefit from her name and I wouldn´t be suprised if the goal is to push her for a medal at the Olympics. The ISU want´s these stories and as sad it may sound, Costners medal, would create a bigger headline, than a Russian gold.

That's not sport anymore.

viennaskater

Medalist
Better than Medvedeva??? That has to be the fakest news ever. Osmond doesn't even have a quarter of Med's SS and presentation skills.

Disagree. Osmond has elegance and sophistication which Med does not have. I find Kaitlyn far more enjoyable to watch.

David21

On the Ice

Osmond not having a quarter of Med's presentation skills does indeed sound like fake news to me.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Disagree. Osmond has elegance and sophistication which Med does not have. I find Kaitlyn far more enjoyable to watch.

To me, Osmond actually precisely does not have elegance. She has some things, but elegance isn't one of them. Elegant programs also don't work for her at all due to this.