2017 Worlds Entries | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't mind that you disagree with me ;) it won't change my views.

FYI : GPF is NOT an ISU championship.

And yes, I know what you are saying : some federations do see Nationals as the factor to send skaters to worlds while others, like Japan, consider body of work. No matter how Yuzuru would have done at GPF and Nationals, I would be surprised he would have stayed home, especially this year, when Japan is having 3 spots.

For skaters doing really well at GPF, the advantage is that Nationals is usually right after... so it's not like someone doing really well in September and going through a rough phase. Yuzuru had just won GPF when he got ill, so the federation can easily assume that without the flu, he would have been in a similar shape as GPF.

Now, I have been following the sport for a long time as well, 1988... and if 4CC is not as popular we can wonder if it is exactly because the USA used to send its B team there. I see that it's picking up in popularity since both Japan and the USA have started to send top skaters. Canada most often has sent the A team or a mix of A and B team... simple enough : Canada doesn't have as much depth ... however, this meant that we heard about 4CC more than perhaps in the USA. Is it prestigious? not yet... but does it give great points for world standings : YES.

The following is based on vague recollections of various interviews and newsclips...

Davis and White were frequently second-guessed on their decision to compete at 4CC. "Need to save energy" and such. I don't think they missed many of them during their prime.

They essentially said that they felt an obligation to support skating and that 4CC gave them a chance to highlight the sport internationally and give exposure to more fans.

I think that set a level of expectation in America that Team USA would not be composed of skaters from US Nationals who did not make the World Team.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In recent years the 4CC date has been moved to later in February, so that many of the top US skaters have opted to go. The exception, of course, is Olympic years when no top NA skaters do 4CC.

In the past, 4CC was often only a week or two after US Nationals and most of the top skaters declined 4CC because they were too exhausted to travel to a competition that was usually in Asia. In those years, Canadian Nationals was usually a week before US Nationals, so the Canadian skaters had a week more to rest up.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Thank you for this tremendous service you have provided to the forum with this excellent run-down.

I finally understand the situation.

You really should do reporting for a living, then perhaps I could understand the news, too. :laugh:

Excluding opinions, spins, and speculations, known facts are usually quite scarce. ;)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The final selection will be announced before Team China leaves for Worlds.
Does anyone know when Team China leaves for World's?
Surely it will be in the next few days?
I mean, official practices start on Monday...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sure hope I didn't start a rumor there, I just based my information on two Dutch news articles (if you google her name and check latest news, it lists sites from the Dutch newspapers the AD and the Telegraaf). Seems indeed odd that her name is listed, but maybe the newspapers are wrong (the Telegraaf is a bit tabloidy, so... shrug)
Niki Wories (NED) has now been removed from the list of entries...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Han YAN will check into a hospital on Monday and have surgery on Tuesday. Officially withdrawn or not, he will not be at Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Right. Well, at least it doesn't come as a surprise. :-(

No Dutch representatives at the Worlds 2017, then. Except for some attendees and oh yeah, maybe the Dutch ISU president, lol. Strange world we live in...

gotta turn some of your speed skaters into figure skaters ;) when Ireen Wüst was a headcase, she could have been a great figure skater ;)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Han Yan has now been removed from the list of entries... and (so far) Yuhang Guan is not showing as his replacment (he is still shown as a substitute).

And Zijun Li is BACK ON THE LIST! (Ziquan Zhao now shown as substitute)

Last edited:

vincb17

Rinkside
Han Yan has now been removed from the list of entries... and (so far) Yuhang Guan is not showing as his replacment (he is still shown as a substitute).

What's the f* ??
:)

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

Is the Chinese Federation only sending Boyang to secure 2 spots for China for the Olympics, then? I guess it is a good strategy, since there's no way Boyang doesn't stay in the Top 10.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Is the Chinese Federation only sending Boyang to secure 2 spots for China for the Olympics, then? I guess it is a good strategy, since there's no way Boyang doesn't stay in the Top 10.
Actually, if Boyang can finish in the top 10, it makes no difference if there is a 2nd skater or not:

If 2nd skater doesn't qualify for the FS, their placement points are "capped" at 18.
If 2nd skater does qualify for the FS, their placement points are "capped" at 16.

So if Boyang is in the top 10, the total of the two placements is always going to be 28 or less, and China will keep 2 places...
Or if Boyang is the only skater, and he finishes in the top 10... then China will again keep 2 places...

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Actually, if Boyang can finish in the top 10, it makes no difference if there is a 2nd skater or not:

If 2nd skater doesn't qualify for the FS, their placement points are "capped" at 18.
If 2nd skater does qualify for the FS, their placement points are "capped" at 16.

So if Boyang is in the top 10, the total of the two placements is always going to be 28 or less, and China will keep 2 places...
Or if Boyang is the only skater, and he finishes in the top 10... then China will again keep 2 places...

Ah, I forgot about the capping of points. So it doesn't matter if they send a second skater or what that second skater does, China will still have 2 spots because Boyang will place in the Top 10. Thanks.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Ah, I forgot about the capping of points. So it doesn't matter if they send a second skater or what that second skater does, China will still have 2 spots because Boyang will place in the Top 10. Thanks.
if he will place in the top10))

katonice

On the Ice

So why didn't they send a 2nd skater? It seems such a waste to not give the chance to one of their skaters. Or are they hoping Boyang will place in the top 2 and earn them 3 Olys berths? Or is it as simple as they can't send anyone?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
So why didn't they send a 2nd skater? It seems such a waste to not give the chance to one of their skaters. Or are they hoping Boyang will place in the top 2 and earn them 3 Olys berths? Or is it as simple as they can't send anyone?
Maybe the ISU/organisers simply haven't updated the lists properly yet. There is still time...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
If they only sends Boyang, it's weird decision from Chinese Fed. But that wouldn't be first time...

LRK

Record Breaker
If they only sends Boyang, it's weird decision from Chinese Fed. But that wouldn't be first time...

Condsidering the musical chairs they've been playing with the ladies' entries... how many constellations have there been now? Not sending their sub is pretty tame.