2017 Worlds Entries | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Entries

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are overcomplicating things. My desire for the third spot has nothing to do with medals. Rather, since I am a fan of US men other than the USFS's shiny new toys, and would rather they not be left on the trash heap as so many want to do, I view the third spot as vital to seeing at least one of my men on that Olympic team. At this point, it's just about making the goddamn team.

okay.. let's make things simpler. Whatever way Max is on the team, then we won't hear any complaining ;) but if he is not, life needs to end.

Got it :)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) i was not talking about you... i know where you are when it comes to your preference

2) you can see them skate but don't you think it's quite self-centered to want them to skate at worlds, just because you enjoy them and their varied shortcomings?

I would like very much to see a bunch of Canadian skaters at world too... but i am not going to complain that they are not there because Canada has less spots... i get to see them at other competitions and so do you with your favourite american skaters...

the world championship is a competition... not stars on ice.

Gosh....

I want to spread the wealth; I think there should be three Canadian spots too! perhaps a certain charismatic Quebecois junior will make the Oly team?:agree: Remember, I started down this path with a Canadian skater.:biggrin:

I've heard the "show skating" comment enough that I could fund the third spot if I had a dollar for every mention:laugh: I think performance and spins and stepwork and "all dat" is just as worthy of competition, but I realize that the folks who like to add up BV to the millimeter and wait with bated breath for the latest revolution in the air disagree with me. But I still have to fight the good fight;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I want to spread the wealth; I think there should be three Canadian spots too! perhaps a certain charismatic Quebecois junior will make the Oly team?:agree: Remember, I started down this path with a Canadian skater.:biggrin:

I've heard the "show skating" comment enough that I could fund the third spot if I had a dollar for every mention:laugh: I think performance and spins and stepwork and "all dat" is just as worthy of competition, but I realize that the folks who like to add up BV to the millimeter and wait with bated breath for the latest revolution in the air disagree with me. But I still have to fight the good fight;)

relieved i didn't get caned this time ;)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Nic :love:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Han Yan has withdrawn from worlds due to his shoulder fracture :( https://twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/844769305858211841

The ifs magazine has again jumped the gun based on a Twit which is a brief translated Weibo message posted earlier. Han's name is still on the official list. However, I do expect him to withdraw officially. His shoulder dislocations have been known before but his recent message recounts the intolerable pain and he's giving in.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) i was not talking about you... i know where you are when it comes to your preference

2) you can see them skate but don't you think it's quite self-centered to want them to skate at worlds, just because you enjoy them and their varied shortcomings?

I would like very much to see a bunch of Canadian skaters at world too... but i am not going to complain that they are not there because Canada has less spots... i get to see them at other competitions and so do you with your favourite american skaters...

the world championship is a competition... not stars on ice.

Gosh....

There's no way to get around it... this is true.

There will be disappointments abounding as we approach the Olympic year. It's the way sports go.

My hope is that USFSA goes with the top scorers, and sends the best 2 or 3 athletes.

And, by the way, I hope one of them is Max.

But, like all the skaters, he has to earn his spot, and IMO, that should be one single all-or-nothing competition. The US Championships.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Somebody needs to give us a Reader's Digest version of what is going on with the Chinese women's team.

Clear, concise, and lacking emotion. Short and to the point.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Somebody needs to give us a Reader's Digest version of what is going on with the Chinese women's team.

Clear, concise, and lacking emotion. Short and to the point.

Li Zijun has been demoted to substitute status. The official explanation is that she has not been well with a fever and not been training properly. The latest list of Chinese Ladies entries, already changed twice before with the three same skaters, is not final. The final selection will be announced before Team China leaves for Worlds. There are all kinds of rumours based on her cryptic Weibo messages and speculations about conspiracy.

I will just keep watching the development and wait for the fed's final decisions.

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
The ifs magazine has again jumped the gun based on a Twit which is a brief translated Weibo message posted earlier. Han's name is still on the official list. However, I do expect him to withdraw officially. His shoulder dislocations have been known before but his recent message recounts the intolerable pain and he's giving in.
If he does indeed withdraw, (or any other men's skater for that matter)... it may afffect scheduling:
There will be 6 groups instead of 7, and one less ice resurface required.
(Edit: but ONLY if no substitute is listed to replace the withdrawn skater!)

eg. When a withdrawal caused Pairs to drop from 8 groups to 7, some practice session and competition timings were changed, some early-morning practice sessions don't start quite so early now, etc.

Two withdrawals from Dance or Ladies (edit: IF they have no substitute listed!) would also reduce their number of respective groups (assuming 5 dance teams per group).
And one Ladies withdrawal (Niki Wories) may already be on the cards?

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
If he does indeed withdraw, (or any other men's skater for that matter)... it may afffect scheduling:
There is another Chinese skater listed as substitute. Can't he replace Han Yan still or is that too late now?

And one Ladies withdrawal (Niki Wories) may already be on the cards?
Sure hope I didn't start a rumor there, I just based my information on two Dutch news articles (if you google her name and check latest news, it lists sites from the Dutch newspapers the AD and the Telegraaf). Seems indeed odd that her name is listed, but maybe the newspapers are wrong (the Telegraaf is a bit tabloidy, so... shrug)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There is another Chinese skater listed as substitute. Can't he replace Han Yan still or is that too late now?
Oops, yes - I hadn't even noticed they had a substitute listed...

And indeed, that's an important point - what I said was not quite right - scheduling will only be affected if there are withdrawals and no substitutes to take their place. I've now tweaked my ealier post to mention this.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oops, yes - I hadn't even noticed they had a substitute listed...

And indeed, that's an important point - what I said was not quite right - scheduling will only be affected if there are withdrawals and no substitutes to take their place. I've now tweaked my ealier post to mention this.

Is it really awful of me to point out that I have no idea who that substitute is? I mean, the name rings no bells with me at all. *blush*

asiacheetah

On the Ice
semantics

what I mean is that a skater that goes into an international/continental championships where skaters from all countries go to have a different sense of pride.

For instance, I am sure the 4 Russian ladies were proud to be at GPF but their agenda was to place for themselves, get prize money and ranking points... but at Olympics or worlds and even at Euros they represent also Russia...

The GPF is not open.. it's an invitational event based on GP results. No American ladies were there this year. No Russian ladies were there some years... so it's not so much an event where National pride and representation is a factor.

That's what I mean with skating for their countries. Sure you can argue that they always do... but it's not really the same in events where over 20, 30 or even 40 countries are represented than it is in an event where 3 4 -5 or 6 countries at best are represented.

I hope I clarified my point.

YMMV

ETA forgot to address one of your questions : the timing of nationals... of course it has an impact. For ISU championships, athletes are named by their country's federation... so there is even more of a hype about those events and the fact that they happen shortly after nationals... actually the nationals are shortly before the bigger events :) so that skaters best in shape are chosen.

For GPs... it's a different system based on individual results. A skater can fell national pride while on the tour but he/she is there based on personal results, not based on national team selection.

I kind of disagree about your stance about GPF. I think winning and even qualifying for the GPF has some impact on your chances of representing your country in various competitions. Heck Yuzu is going to the Worlds and went to 4CC based on his GPF win (and because despite being sick for the Japan Nationals, he's still the number 1 male Japanese skater......and because he's Yuzuru). So I think GPF has some impact on how individual country's determines who gets to compete where.

As for ranking of competitions, I think for countries with more than 1 or 2 competitive skaters, the ranking goes: Olympics, Worlds, Nationals, ISU championships (European, GPF, 4CC), GP, etc.

I'll be upfront and mention that I've peripherally followed figure skating (usually during Olympics and sometimes for GP) for more than 20 years. Yet, I've never heard of the Four Continents Championship before I joined this forum this year. Strangely, I've heard of European Championships before. I think for most casual viewers, they only hear about the Olympics. In the US, they basically only broadcast Nationals, Olympics, sometimes the GPF, and if you're lucky Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I kind of disagree about your stance about GPF. I think winning and even qualifying for the GPF has some impact on your chances of representing your country in various competitions. Heck Yuzu is going to the Worlds and went to 4CC based on his GPF win (and because despite being sick for the Japan Nationals, he's still the number 1 male Japanese skater......and because he's Yuzuru). So I think GPF has some impact on how individual country's determines who gets to compete where.

As for ranking of competitions, I think for countries with more than 1 or 2 competitive skaters, the ranking goes: Olympics, Worlds, Nationals, ISU championships (European, GPF, 4CC), GP, etc.

I'll be upfront and mention that I've peripherally followed figure skating (usually during Olympics and sometimes for GP) for more than 20 years. Yet, I've never heard of the Four Continents Championship before I joined this forum this year. Strangely, I've heard of European Championships before. I think for most casual viewers, they only hear about the Olympics. In the US, they basically only broadcast Nationals, Olympics, sometimes the GPF, and if you're lucky Worlds.

I don't mind that you disagree with me ;) it won't change my views.

FYI : GPF is NOT an ISU championship.

And yes, I know what you are saying : some federations do see Nationals as the factor to send skaters to worlds while others, like Japan, consider body of work. No matter how Yuzuru would have done at GPF and Nationals, I would be surprised he would have stayed home, especially this year, when Japan is having 3 spots.

For skaters doing really well at GPF, the advantage is that Nationals is usually right after... so it's not like someone doing really well in September and going through a rough phase. Yuzuru had just won GPF when he got ill, so the federation can easily assume that without the flu, he would have been in a similar shape as GPF.

Now, I have been following the sport for a long time as well, 1988... and if 4CC is not as popular we can wonder if it is exactly because the USA used to send its B team there. I see that it's picking up in popularity since both Japan and the USA have started to send top skaters. Canada most often has sent the A team or a mix of A and B team... simple enough : Canada doesn't have as much depth ... however, this meant that we heard about 4CC more than perhaps in the USA. Is it prestigious? not yet... but does it give great points for world standings : YES.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I don't mind that you disagree with me ;) it won't change my views.

Fair enough. I guess the point I was trying to make is the GPF wasn't solely for the benefit of the skaters. They are gaining experiences to boost their chances of representing their countries in the Worlds and ISU championships.

FYI : GPF is NOT an ISU championship.

I didn't mean to imply that it was. Maybe because of the limited US tv broadcast schedule, GPF is much more likely to be shown than European and 4CC (pretty sure I've never seen European and 4CC on tv actually). So they were lumped together in terms of "viewer" familiarity and order of importance.

Even when I was following Michelle Kwan pretty closely, I've only seen her Nationals and Olympics coverage. Half of the competitions listed on this website I've never even heard of.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Is it really awful of me to point out that I have no idea who that substitute is? I mean, the name rings no bells with me at all. *blush*

Maybe you can't remember him because he barely competed in the last couple of seasons on the international level. This season he competed at Winter Universiade (10th), and Nationals (2nd), but he entirely missed the 2013/2014 and 2015/2016 seasons (he only skated at Nationals).

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Li Zijun has been demoted to substitute status. The official explanation is that she has not been well with a fever and not been training properly. The latest list of Chinese Ladies entries, already changed twice before with the three same skaters, is not final. The final selection will be announced before Team China leaves for Worlds. There are all kinds of rumours based on her cryptic Weibo messages and speculations about conspiracy.

I will just keep watching the development and wait for the fed's final decisions.

Thank you for this tremendous service you have provided to the forum with this excellent run-down.

I finally understand the situation.

You really should do reporting for a living, then perhaps I could understand the news, too. :laugh: