2018 Four Continents Mens SP | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2018 Four Continents Mens SP

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I still have problem watching Shoma doing so much two foot skating, it doesn't look nice

zschultz1986

Final Flight
I dislike Shoma's upper body during footwork and choreography. His carriage is too rigid, which makes his movement look too staccato and restricted. It works great for basic skating, though. He just needs to loosen up and let the movement get bigger and longer, IMO.

Also, his quads are not up to the likes of Nathan's, Boyang's, Yuzu's, or Javi's.

I can see the work he does during his skates, which, while impressive, detracts from the programs. Vivaldi's Four Seasons doesn't help him at all either. I will always compare it to Lambiel, and while the jumping is harder, it does not live up to that program in the other areas.

chillgil

Match Penalty
not to jump on the metaphorical "Critique Shoma" bandwagon BUT . . . . . . i really can't stand his programs this year. I really really don't understand how he can get such high PCS for such an empty program. His expression doesn't CHANGE!!! Can anyone explain to me how this program deserved 45 PCS???? He gets the book thrown at him because he has deep edges is that it??? This is coming from a person who wants to like Shoma, I would LOVE to be at peace with the guy-I loved Loco and his 2015/2016 programs but he's been taking HUGE steps back ever since (more crossovers, less transitions, forcing sloppy quads) and is getting rewarded for that.

I just don't see how that's fair.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I seriously hope Shoma would ditch his deep V neck outfit. It is not flattering on him; no matter how old he is now, he still has that big boy look, and the "sexy" deep V does not go with that.
Daisuke Takahashi is the master of portraying sultriness; I know Shoma tries his best to imitate his idol but the style just does not suit him. Season after season, he has the same sort of interpretation no matter what program he skates to.

penniavaswen

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I seriously hope Shoma would ditch his deep V neck outfit. It is not flattering on him; no matter how old he is now, he still has that big boy look, and the "sexy" deep V does not go with that.
Daisuke Takahashi is the master of portraying sultriness; I know Shoma tries his best to imitate his idol but the style just does not suit him. Season after season, he has the same sort of interpretation no matter what program he skates to.

I'm distracted by the skin, and not in a good way. With the feathers and partially sheer mesh, he reminds me of half-way plucked goose when he arches his back in a certain way. Bring back the other top!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker

I like it. I think it looks good on him and I even prefer this outfit to the previous one. And I think he makes it work, despite having a 'big boy look'. Better than the yellow mesh he had on his previous grey Winter costume.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
I preferred shoma's former costume but this one is fine.

The Uno vs Jin situation is kind off like Chan vs Takahashi to me. Yes when they competed against each other sometimes Takahashi had the better performance in terms of spectator appeal but Chan was a better skater with more qualities and these intangibles put him above Takahashi, even with a lower energy level and a mistake. Here I did prefer watching Boyang and thought he had the better performance in that way, but I acknowledge that Shoma is the better skater and probably deserves to be first with all his qualities.

I wonder about Han Yan. He is a skater who should consistently make world top ten or at least fifteen. What went wrong between 2014 and now?

Misha looks depressed. I don't know if I am allowed to say this, but he looks like he is.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
I like it. I think it looks good on him and I even prefer this outfit to the previous one. And I think he makes it work, despite having a 'big boy look'. Better than the yellow mesh he had on his previous grey Winter costume.
I love your avatar, xeyra; it's so beautiful!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I haven't watched any skater, but checked the protocols. And I wonder how Jason was placed 4th, with no quad and and a faulty (-GOE) 3A. at least 3-4 skaters after him had better TES. Whatever...FS will be interesting, as except the first two, the next 6-8 skaters are so close.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I haven't watched any skater, but checked the protocols. And I wonder how Jason was placed 4th, with no quad and and a faulty (-GOE) 3A. at least 3-4 skaters after him had better TES. Whatever...FS will be interesting, as except the first two, the next 6-8 skaters are so close.

Maybe you should watch the skates before you question the scoring?

And if you read the protocols, you would have seen that Jason earned lots of +GOE on the rest of his elements. Not to mention that only one person below him had lower TES.

And there's PCS. I'll entertain discussion on why it may be too high, of course. But again that's kind of tough to do if you haven't watch the actual skate.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Everything Jason does is such high quality that he rakes in a lot of GOE. And then add in his programs - that SP was unquestionably the most complex one of the night in terms of choreography, transitions and movement, and he skated it extremely well, so he deservedly rakes in the PCS as well.

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Loved Boyang (he seems to have gotten even better) and Jason's performances. Esp. for Boyang just recovered from an injury. Hope he does well at FS as well. :agree:

beki

Medalist
Ha! I've been waiting for Boyang to nail this fantastic program. Everyone counts him out at their peril. He can easily play the spoiler. Criticizing his SS is old (fake) news.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Ha! I've been waiting for Boyang to nail this fantastic program. Everyone counts him out at their peril. He can easily play the spoiler. Criticizing his SS is old (fake) news.

When I saw Boyang at Boston in 2016 I thought then that his SS and general presentation were a whole lot better than a lot of people gave him credit for. But when a skater gets stuffed into a box with a label, it can be really hard to shake.

The more I think about it this morning, the more I think Max should have been ahead of Han Yan. That fall of Han's was just really messy and really broke the program at that time. Max was clean and never broke his program, so I'd have had him ahead.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't get to see Chih-I Tsao's skate live, but I just watched a video from the local broadcaster, and I found it so heartwarming. It's awesome skating your personal best in front of the home crowd, and the announcer was so choked up, it was adorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSRcN6SZNs

This was one of the highlights of the evening. As you said, so wonderful in front of his home crowd. Great to see Anthony Liu at the boards...Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Enjoy the rest of the competition.

Latremu

Final Flight
Why would anyone read just the protocols and not watch the actual performances? That's like eating the cake box and not the cake.