2018 Rostelecom Cup Rhythm Dance | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018 Rostelecom Cup Rhythm Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Lots of programmes composed of sections that don’t speak to each other this year... at least Junhwan’s is fun.

Welcome to the 1970s all over again. Programs used to be three parts: fast/slow/fast, with pretty much NO relation to each other. That's why T/D's Bolero was such a revelation: one piece of music with a sustained and slowly building emotional climax. Before that, it was Lawrence Welk put through a blender.

moon

On the Ice
This years GP lineup will unfortunately make a good case for decreasing competitors from 10 to 8 again.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Welcome to the 1970s all over again. Programs used to be three parts: fast/slow/fast, with pretty much NO relation to each other. That's why T/D's Bolero was such a revelation: one piece of music with a sustained and slowly building emotional climax. Before that, it was Lawrence Welk put through a blender.

Oh, I have vague memories of those days — they were well before my time, but I did learn some basic skating history. Still not sure how “pause for this techno breakdown” fits with Claire de Lune, though. And, if I’m being honest, I could have cheerfully lived the rest of my life forgetting about the existence of Fergie, as now I have “T to the A to the S T E Y, girl you tasty” stuck in my head. 🤢🤢🤢

... man, Fergalicious would be a more interesting routine than all these Level B/1 TRs. I am still mildly gruntled over the low-quality TR being served. I don’t care how perfect your red lip is if you can’t do the steps.

cell

On the Ice
I like that Hubbell/Donohue (yes, I know they aren't here) only have a little bit of Maria de Buenos Aires in their RD

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh, I have vague memories of those days — they were well before my time, but I did learn some basic skating history. Still not sure how “pause for this techno breakdown” fits with Claire de Lune, though. And, if I’m being honest, I could have cheerfully lived the rest of my life forgetting about the existence of Fergie, as now I have “T to the A to the S T E Y, girl you tasty” stuck in my head. ������

... man, Fergalicious would be a more interesting routine than all these Level B/1 TRs. I am still mildly gruntled over the low-quality TR being served. I don’t care how perfect your red lip is if you can’t do the steps.

Yes. It's a shame because the TR, when skated well, is a beautiful if difficult pattern dance. And I'm not impressed with most of the ones I'm seeing. And downgrading the importance of levels isn't going to give skaters much incentive to improve their difficulty. So I'm glad that the tech panels this year are calling out shoddy technique. They need to.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
Yes. It's a shame because the TR, when skated well, is a beautiful if difficult pattern dance. And I'm not impressed with most of the ones I'm seeing. And downgrading the importance of levels isn't going to give skaters much incentive to improve their difficulty. So I'm glad that the tech panels this year are calling out shoddy technique. They need to.

Yeah, I’m mostly here for the TR pattern — it’s so good when done well. Though off the top of my head, only McNamara and Carpenter have managed Level 4 on both parts so far this season, right? Which is depressing. I like M/C fine, but they aren’t really developed artistically yet, which is fine given how young they are. But at least they’ve been bringing it on the tech.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am still confused about Nikolai Morozov's daughter's surname, I know she was born in the US, but she competes for Russia now and therefore should have Russian citizenship, so is her surname Morozov or Morozova?

Anyway, hope her a nice GP debut on home grounds, for what I remember of her she was pretty okay.

I think there are 2 reasons. The first is that Annabelle's Mum (Caroline Douarin) is from France, and the second is that Annabelle grew up in America. And in both of those countries, names generally don't change spelling according to whether the person is male or female. One form does all. And because of that, a lot of officialdom gets confused and suspicious when they come across families where there are different spellings of the surname amongst members. So, it is a lot easier for the family just to stick with the one spelling (usually the male form).

Since Annabelle has been living and competing for years using the name "Morozov", I suppose they decided it would be too much bother changing it now.

CaroLiza_fan