2019 U.S. Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2019 U.S. Nationals Senior Men FS

deedee1

Record Breaker
I watched the whole Men's comp on TV, with my husband as usual. Nathan's free was WOW! No words. His jump contents :jaw:, its quality of every each jump :jaw::jaw:, and overall quality of both of his programs :jaw::jaw::jaw: His performances at this season's US Nats are for AGES for sure!
Since his fabulous Caravan SP, my husband keeps telling me over and over, 'Were I a skating god, I WANT to copy both of his SP and Free and paste them for Worlds in March!' :laugh:

Anyway, congrats to all medalists. :)
Big shout-out to Tomoki for not breaking down on pressure after placing 4th in SP!
Pretty much enjoyed Dolensky, Johnson, Camden, Torgasev and Ma for keep fighting to the end despite mistakes. :rock: Very nice to see Sean, Savary, Jordan, Kulenkamp, Payannet and Jalovick once again. Their performances full of their heart and trying to achieve their own goal always lit my heart and make me smile; Sean's sweet SP and Johnson's emotional Free to name a few. :yes:
US Nats was exciting, heartwarming and emotional to watch. It never disappoint me, worthy of sacrificing my sleep due to time diffference.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really happy to see Tomoki get some love from the audience. He looked really overwhelmed. Love his solid jump technique. He gets a lot out of that tiny frame of his. Can't wait to see how he improves on his performance skills. Congrats on the pewter.

vincb17

Rinkside
Nathan Chen 342.22 ?? what's that score ? ^^

And Jason Brown 273.08 with a single salchow and a double salchow ? It's a joke ?

Is someone can explain me ?

:)

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker

And Jason Brown 273.08 with a single salchow and a double salchow ? It's a joke ?

Nationals inflation. It gets ridiculous. But that’s why nationals scores don’t count internationally.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Yes Nathan's total score may be inflated but he put out two clean skates and internationally this would have been probably close to 330 points overall. He scored over 321 points last year at Worlds and this was a better performance even though he had less quads the quality was better.

Brown's free skate, even with two wasted jumping passes and relatively ineffective presentation, still added up to 172. The reason he got such a high total for the competition was because of his short program, which was outstanding even without a quad and netted over 100.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Brown's free skate, even with two wasted jumping passes and relatively ineffective presentation, still added up to 172. The reason he got such a high total for the competition was because of his short program, which was outstanding even without a quad and netted over 100.

Relatively ineffective presentation. MATHMAN, do I need to fight you now?

Just kidding.

Anyway I crunched some numbers earlier on Jason's FS score. https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/s...enior-Men-FS&p=2324581&viewfull=1#post2324581

I think the main thing that could be debatable with his score is the 3A, which was not called underrotated and received +GOE (albeit not a lot, relatively speaking). If you make UR and give him negative GOE of -1 or -2, he loses 4.5 to 5.5 points. So his score would have been 167 or 168 instead of 172+.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ C'mon, Mrs P.

That wasn't Jason's best work, and you know it.

We've seen a lot better than that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^^ C'mon, Mrs P.

That wasn't Jason's best work, and you know it.

We've seen a lot better than that.

Perhaps in the past, but not this so much this season and not so much under the +5/-5 GOE system.

Here's what he's scored on that FS this season with the associated jumping passes/spins and steps.

Autumn Classic (Sept. 2018): 144.33 (60.63/83.70)
2S, 1A-2T, 3S, 3A<, 3Lo*,3F-3T*, 3Z-3T<-2Lo< *

Skate Canada (Oct. 2018 ): 158.51 (74.51/84.36)
2S,3A-3T,3S,3Lo,2A-2T-2Lo*,3F-3T*<, 3Z*

Internationaux de France (Nov. 2018): 159.92 (70.28/89.64)
2A, 3A-2T, 3S, 3Lo, 3A<-2T-2Lo, 3F-2T*, 2Z

Golden Spin (Dec. 2018): 167.92. (78.52/89.40)
2A,3A-2T,3S,3Lo, 3A-2T-2Lo,* 3F-3T,* 3Z*

Nationals (Jan. 2019) 172.56 (80.36/92.20)
2S,3A-3T, 1S, 3Lo, 3A*, 3F-3T*, 3Z-2T-2Lo*

He had 60 TES with 3 URs and 2 pops and missing both his Axels.

Here he pulled off 20 more points with 2 pops, but basically got all his major combinations, both 3As and no URs. Again you can tack of 5 points for a 3A< with - GOE and dock maybe 2-3 points in PCS to match what he gets internationally, but he would still score in the 160s pretty easily. Keep him mind he got 158 points with a only one 3A, a 2S and a UR -3T in his combo

172 sounds high because other skaters have to do more jumping content to score that much, but Jason really does make it up in the non-jump elements and the jumps he did do (other than the 3A maybe 3A<) were pretty good.

He got +5 across the board for his ChSq, which basically gave him +2.5 points for a total of 5.50 points. That's basically a the BV of a triple flip.

And FWIW he got 91 PCS last year with a mess of a program and "only" got 92 here with a much cleaner program.

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG! We're finally home from Detroit as of last night. So much to catch up on! We had a blast! Congrats to all of the medalists & several other faves (Sean, Tim)!

oly2018

Final Flight
Unfortunately his reputation for URs is pretty ingrained. He needs to go to Raf right away.

Vincent needs to do something, but I don't think he is changing coaches anytime soon. His coaching situation is strange and I don't know who his primary coach even is at this point. I doubt both of them teach the same exact technique, so I wonder if that is what's holding him back. I don't think his all or nothing mentality would work with Raf. Raf seems to be a bit more calculated with what tech his students attempt. Yes Nathan attempts an insane amount of quads, but he fully capable of executing them. On the flip side, take someone like Breznia, who only competes with 1 or 2 because at the moment, that is what he is capable of executing. I don't think that brand of coaching would mesh with someone who has been just throwing out the hardest tech content without any thought to strategy.