2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2023 U.S. Nationals Sr. Men's Free Skate

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, that was a pretty intense and entertaining final group. The last two groups altogether. I notice how they didn't use the sp positioning for fp skate order, which we'd become accustomed to. I guess they determined it's fairer to randomly pull skate order numbers by group section.

I was so happy for Andrew Torgashev pulling out two great skates. My favorite performances of the men's event, alongside the phenomenal Jason Brown. What courage and beauty Jason displayed! Plus, Jason nearly won again!!! If he had not made the mistake on his final jump, and had Ilia not had the presence of mind to improvise more tech content at the end, boy we would be celebrating an unexpected Jason Brown victory.

I looked at the NBC broadcast, and then I viewed the World feed on Peacock. NBC wasted too much time showing a fluff feature on Ilia twice. Once was enough. I think we get it that he's favored, and he's very talented, especially technically and athletically. I never doubted Ilia could and would land another quad axel, because he's landed it a number of times. I believe at this point that Ilia is around two clean out of five attempts in competition? Or maybe it's three out of 5 attempts. He can't be perfect every time. I think the build-up for the 4-axel was a bit overdone by NBC. Too much hype is never good especially when dealing with a young person. Ilia was honest about not really feeling it this time. There were probably a bit too many media distractions for Ilia, and he wasn't in the mindset he needed to be in. Still, he wasn't doing too badly until he began doubling and missing jumps. Good for Ilia throwing that final 3-jump element in his fp.

Again, congrats to Andrew T! :cheer: His medal is so well deserved. Many thanks to Jason Brown too, for sharing another special journey with us. Such memorable moments! đź‘Ť
This was a USFS event as you know. USFS continues to do random draw among groups at its competitions.

theblade

On the Ice
I am with our friend 4everchan on this one. When I heard that music and the voice of Andy Williams no less, I was utterly amazed that anyone could have chosen this—something my dear grandmother might have liked—for a nice young male skater in 2023.

BTW my Grammy also was a huge fan of the Lawrence Welk show :)
I say this tongue-in-cheek and in the warmest way possible, but man, this board is a tough crowd! I wonder if it's partly a generational thing of hearing what someone else heard, and associating it only with another, older era, and less about the musicality in it's own right.

I'm Gen X and listened to a wide range of music growing up (as most of us do). Had music theory and classical piano training via the Royal Conservatory of Music (reputable Canadian school), but listened to random bands like Marillion, Skinny Puppy and Ministry in my teens (still do!). And I doubt anyone on these boards would be into these bands, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

But in "music to skate to terms," a good singer is a good singer (although yes, due to the nature of the music business, many often record popular songs that are more like mathematical formulas to manufacture hits - this has happened in every era of "popular" music since like what, the 1920s?).

The thing is, it's refreshing to see a skater skate to music from another era, especially songs that are less jaded, less post-modern, with less mainstream messages of nihilism and casual death. One of the warm-up songs at the ladies' event had the group chant refrain of "We're gonna die young!" Or something like that. And we wonder why kids are having mental health issues.

Anyway, what I got from this was a young dude who wasn't afraid to skate to something unexpected. And that showed a young man not afraid to blaze his own path. To me, that looks like a flex.

It sure wasn't a boring music selection, and it got people talking, so go Samuel! Do your own thing.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I say this tongue-in-cheek and in the warmest way possible, but man, this board is a tough crowd! I wonder if it's partly a generational thing of hearing what someone else heard, and associating it only with another, older era, and less about the musicality in it's own right.

I'm Gen X and listened to a wide range of music growing up (as most of us do). Had music theory and classical piano training via the Royal Conservatory of Music (reputable Canadian school), but listened to random bands like Marillion, Skinny Puppy and Ministry in my teens (still do!). And I doubt anyone on these boards would be into these bands, so it doesn't bother me in the least.

But in "music to skate to terms," a good singer is a good singer (although yes, due to the nature of the music business, many often record popular songs that are more like mathematical formulas to manufacture hits - this has happened in every era of "popular" music since like what, the 1920s?).

The thing is, it's refreshing to see a skater skate to music from another era, especially songs that are less jaded, less post-modern, with less mainstream messages of nihilism and casual death. One of the warm-up songs at the ladies' event had the group chant refrain of "We're gonna die young!" Or something like that. And we wonder why kids are having mental health issues.

Anyway, what I got from this was a young dude who wasn't afraid to skate to something unexpected. And that showed a young man not afraid to blaze his own path. To me, that looks like a flex.

It sure wasn't a boring music selection, and it got people talking, so go Samuel! Do your own thing.
yes... we are tough... and then, super caring and loving too :)

but to the point : my issue with Sam's music wasn't the "old" music... it was the combination of them both. I complain just as much when someone starts with 20 seconds of Rachmaninoff 1st concerto, and then moves to the 3rd concerto and finishes with the second concerto... :)

Putting different pieces of music into one cohesive program is an art that escapes many unfortunately... and some skaters/choreos have better taste than some others.

I will not mention good and bad examples in this thread not to derail it further... but we have seen it all and it's not necessarily getting any better these days....

In Sam's defense, the transition from the Chopin was well done. He also skated to it perfectly well. I think he could have pulled off a 4 minute Chopin program though and that would have made me very happy :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Do you think the current situation played a role or not?
So, imagine Nathan and Vincent at this Nationals, would Jason have skated anyway?
Well, there is absolutely no chance that Nathan would come back for another title. However, I was wondering whether Vincent would make an appearance. If he skated well, I think he would have won this event. Every time I watch his Skate Canada performances, I think about what could have been if he'd stayed healthy. Vincent, Ilia, and Jason would have been an amazing team.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
People, Andy Williams had hits in the 70s. I was alive in the 70s. My grandmother could have cared less about Andy Williams.:laugh: The Mills Brothers, maybe.

But for Sam, Chopin is old. Andy Williams is old. Thus, they go together. ;)

And I would have rather heard that mashup than techno Carmina Burana of Andrew T. (despite how much I love Andrew T.)
I was also alive in the 70s. With all due respect to your grandmother (and the Mills Brothers), I still like Andy Williams' voice. He really was a big deal, but for my money, Tony Bennett beats him any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Funny about Andrew's music; I didn't notice it as much as Sam's. @moonvine will get very annoyed with me for saying this, but Jimmy Ma's "Clair de Lune" mashup freaked me out almost as much as Chopin + "Love Story." I am considering changing my screen name to "MusicCrank."

Did you see Josephine Lee's free skate? She also used "Carmina Burana." IMO, she did a very nice job with it although to me she seems a bit too young for that music.

Lastly, does anybody think we need an "old fart" emoji? :laugh:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
but to the point : my issue with Sam's music wasn't the "old" music... it was the combination of them both. I complain just as much when someone starts with 20 seconds of Rachmaninoff 1st concerto, and then moves to the 3rd concerto and finishes with the second concerto... :)

Putting different pieces of music into one cohesive program is an art that escapes many unfortunately... and some skaters/choreos have better taste than some others.
^^^^^^ This! :clap:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I had no idea that Andy Williams had such a large and devoted fan base across all generations. The things you learn on Golden Skate! :)

Then again, I remember all the negativity about Nathan Chen’s use of Philip Glass. I thought that was a brilliant choice, suited him perfectly, and I would take that over Rocketman any day of the week.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was also alive in the 70s. With all due respect to your grandmother (and the Mills Brothers), I still like Andy Williams' voice. He really was a big deal, but for my money, Tony Bennett beats him any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Funny about Andrew's music; I didn't notice it as much as Sam's. @moonvine will get very annoyed with me for saying this, but Jimmy Ma's "Clair de Lune" mashup freaked me out almost as much as Chopin + "Love Story." I am considering changing my screen name to "MusicCrank."

Did you see Josephine Lee's free skate? She also used "Carmina Burana." IMO, she did a very nice job with it although to me she seems a bit too young for that music.

I will not get annoyed with you. We all have our own tastes. Jimmy does unexpected things with his music and I live for it. He’s not afraid to play around with music. If he had just skated to straight “Claire de Lune” I probably would have been bored. But he brings that dubstep and it’s 🔥. Give it to me Jimmy!

My Queen can skate to straight Claire de Lune and I love it, it fits her well. Mitchell I love for skating to Billy Joel. Although he did not skate as well as I hoped or as well as last year I hope he continues and comes back next year and shows what he’s capable of, which is at least top 12.

Figure skating is an opinion. I’ve got a piece of music I’m absolutely obsessed with and hope someone skates to it one day.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh, I am sorry I was not clear.

I like Andy Williams' voice, I don't mind the theme to "Love Story" at all, there are far worse mashups than the one Sam skated to. I liked Sam's program and music.

Andy Williams is not part of my grandmother's generation, he's part of mine. (early on, but part of it) :) He is definitely not part of Sam's, but neither is Chopin. ;)

Now, if someone did skate to the Mills Brothers, they would have my undying gratitude, even though that is not my generation. Cab Driver? Glow Worm? Yes! Probably more suitable to dance, however.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I am sorry I was not clear.

I like Andy Williams' voice, I don't mind the theme to "Love Story" at all, there are far worse mashups than the one Sam skated to. I liked Sam's program and music.

Andy Williams is not part of my grandmother's generation, he's part of mine. (early on, but part of it) :) He is definitely not part of Sam's, but neither is Chopin. ;)

Now, if someone did skate to the Mills Brothers, they would have my undying gratitude, even though that is not my generation. Cab Driver? Glow Worm? Yes! Probably more suitable to dance, however.
It's all good; I always appreciate your thoughtful (as in "full of thoughts") posts!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I had no idea that Andy Williams had such a large and devoted fan base across all generations. The things you learn on Golden Skate! :)

Then again, I remember all the negativity about Nathan Chen’s use of Philip Glass. I thought that was a brilliant choice, suited him perfectly, and I would take that over Rocketman any day of the week.
I liked Philip Glass and Rocketman, but also understand that Philip Glass isn't very relatable for a lot of people. It doesn't surprise me that Rocketman was so much more popular. IIRC, Nathan also had a Beethoven program that was quite beautiful and moving (note to self: Google it).

Maybe we should all take this discussion to a music thread? I love talking music. ;) It always thrills me when a skater finds a piece that suits them perfectly and brings it to life via a fine choreographer and great skating skills.

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I liked Philip Glass and Rocketman, but also understand that Philip Glass isn't very relatable for a lot of people. It doesn't surprise me that Rocketman was so much more popular. IIRC, Nathan also had a Beethoven program that was quite beautiful and moving (note to self: Google it).

Maybe we should all take this discussion to a music thread? I love talking music. ;) It always thrills me when a skater finds a piece that suits them perfectly and brings it to life via a fine choreographer and great skating skills.
A music thread would be fab!

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
A music thread would be fab!
ask and ye shall receive...:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:angry::angry:I don't know about you, but I do not consider Camden's fifth place finish at Worlds disgraceful. A disgraceful performance would be sleeping in and failing to skate in the event. The USA world's team of Vincent, Camden, and Ilia earned 3 spots- Mission Accomplished.

They sent Ma and Pulkinen last year and they were disgraceful!!

I take it you are referring to Four Continents? There is a reason that USA Olympians don't go to 4CCs. It is too close to US Nationals in an Olympic year for proper preparation. Kudos to Jimmy, Camden, and Tomoki for representing the USA at such a disadvantage.